HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Catering to Russian players - has this been done or not worth it?

Old
03-22-2010, 05:35 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

vCash: 500
Catering to Russian players - has this been done or not worth it?

I would think playing in NY would be an ideal spot for Russian players based on that I would think there are very few NHL markets that have a noticeable amount of Russian influence.

Assuming we got lucky and got a new regime. Would it be wise to get a couple big name/well respected Russians in the organization & maybe one on the bench to try and get an atmosphere that would be enticing to Russian players? Would this help in drawing UFA's & draftees that might weigh the KHL stronger vs other teams than the NYR & maybe get some Russian players to sign slightly cheaper in NY or draw players that aren't in NHL IE Filatov or Radulov(spelling?) etc. Players might feel more comfortable that they'll always get a fair shot with a fellow Russian in mgmt & on the bench?

Idk if this has been tried already or if it would give us a big advantage. Just something I was thinking about.
Posted via Mobile Device

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
We already did so in '94, having the first four Russian trained players to win the stanley cup.

Today, there are only about 23 Russians currently in the NHL and no team has more than 3. What exactly would be the point of catering to such a small minority? I can understand going with a mostly north american or mostly european team model, but not one specific country, and definitely not one that despite having great top end talent, does not have a lot of history of success in this league.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:55 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

I'm not saying build a team around Russians exactly but to make it a top destination so that we'd acquire the ones we wanted easier/cheaper. Like prospects that may slide but would come play in our system.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Those kind of connections or supposed bonds are overrated. Why isn't every good swedish player signing in detroit for league minimum? Players go where the money is or where they want to play. Not a lot will have an influence on that criteria otherwise. Except having a good team, and cap space.

As for prospects, this organization is already not afraid of drafting Russians, and I doubt any of them will be fleeing like they have done to smaller market teams recently. And for those players, I don't think having other russians around would have stopped them from doing so.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 06:54 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post
Those kind of connections or supposed bonds are overrated. Why isn't every good swedish player signing in detroit for league minimum? Players go where the money is or where they want to play. Not a lot will have an influence on that criteria otherwise. Except having a good team, and cap space.

As for prospects, this organization is already not afraid of drafting Russians, and I doubt any of them will be fleeing like they have done to smaller market teams recently. And for those players, I don't think having other russians around would have stopped them from doing so.
Detroit doesn't think so. The 5-man russian unit was one for the ages. Fetisov, Konstantinov, Kozlov, Fedorov, Larionov.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:19 PM
NCRanger

At the risk of sounding "racist", most of the "new" Russian players are gutless and have very little heart. They'd fit right in...

In '94, we happened to get lucky by getting one in Sergei Nemchinov who played more like a North American than a traditional Russian. Sergei Zubov was another Russian that played like a North American.

I'd just assume stay away from these players and try to build around young, hard working North Americans, with maybe a few Euros for speed and skill.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
At the risk of sounding "racist", most of the "new" Russian players are gutless and have very little heart. They'd fit right in...

In '94, we happened to get lucky by getting one in Sergei Nemchinov who played more like a North American than a traditional Russian. Sergei Zubov was another Russian that played like a North American.

I'd just assume stay away from these players and try to build around young, hard working North Americans, with maybe a few Euros for speed and skill.
Yep. I'd hate to be that guy, but I want prospects and players who were trained to play the North American style, who aren't intimidated by contact, and who are prepared for the grind of a long season.

It's easy to point to the exceptions like Malkin and Ovechkin, but there are far more Europeans who failed to reach their full potential playing NHL hockey.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:33 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

I didn't say we had 2 get every Russian that comes around. I'm just thinking we could exploit some advantages we have to get a competitive edge.

Everyone seems to think we are very good at producing skilled/grit players. Having a couple "skill" guys couldn't hurt no matter what country we're from. It's not like Gabby is out there laying the wood. How's he done in our "must win" games lately? But he's still a HUGE asset no matter what cuz he can put the biscuit in the basket.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

If you can add more skill to the lineup, you do it. I don't care where they're from. What you really need is a balance. Championship teams can play creative hockey as well as a grind-it-out style -- they do whatever it takes to win. You need a combination of skill, grit, role players, experience, and youthful determination. As they say, "The ****'s chess, it ain't checkers."

If a Russian slides in the draft, I'd gamble on him. If we can entice Filatov to NY, you do it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:44 PM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Yep. I'd hate to be that guy, but I want prospects and players who were trained to play the North American style, who aren't intimidated by contact, and who are prepared for the grind of a long season.

It's easy to point to the exceptions like Malkin and Ovechkin, but there are far more Europeans who failed to reach their full potential playing NHL hockey.
For all the skill Malkin has, he's still a little slew-footing punk I'd be ashamed to see in a Ranger jersey.

Ovechkin hasn't really been tested yet to see what he might do when his team needs him, although losing 6-0 in a Game #7 at home in a series against your biggest personal rival is a start...

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
For all the skill Malkin has, he's still a little slew-footing punk I'd be ashamed to see in a Ranger jersey.

Ovechkin hasn't really been tested yet to see what he might do when his team needs him, although losing 6-0 in a Game #7 at home in a series against your biggest personal rival is a start...
Now you're just being too picky

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote