Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Constantine Coaching move question...

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2005, 12:43 AM
Tipped Off

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tipped Off Send a message via MSN to Tipped Off Send a message via Yahoo to Tipped Off
Constantine Coaching move question...

I gotta ask this question. I've watched a lot of hockey over the years & have never seen anything like this. I also know a lot of you don't care for Kevin Constantine that much, so I don't want this to turn into a Constantine bashing thread either.

That being said, Constantine makes the decision to start Leleand Irving tonight...a good decision I think because he is just flat out more talented than Mike Wall. In reality, all he's doing is giving wall a breather. So here's the game situation...1-1 tie 12 minutes to go in the 2nd period. Tips get a power play. Constantine calls timeout. At about the 1:20 mark of the power play there is a stoppage. Constantine subs in Mike Wall for Leland Irving in net. Like every one else my first thought is...Irving got hurt and said something about it during the time out. But I notice when Irving goes off he just stand by the door...in full pads/helmet...and waits. Doesn't sit down. About 30 seconds later the Tips score on the power play. Irving subs back in for Wall and finishes off a 25 save night and a 3-1 Tips win.

Anybody ever see anything like this? Anyone know what the reason behind it was? The only thing I can think of was during the Time out Constantine put some kind of Power play "play" on and Irving didn't know how to run it? Anyone else got any thoughts (without the Coach C bashing)?

BTW, in an interesting scoring quirk....Wall gets the credit for the win despite no saves, 1 minute of play and no shots on goal. He was between the pipes when the winner was scored so he gets the win...all though Irving gets the #2 star. Weird.

Last edited by Tipped Off: 01-17-2005 at 12:50 AM.
Old
01-17-2005, 03:39 AM
Emerald City Bruin
I-90 W for 2500mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipped Off
I gotta ask this question. I've watched a lot of hockey over the years & have never seen anything like this. I also know a lot of you don't care for Kevin Constantine that much, so I don't want this to turn into a Constantine bashing thread either.

That being said, Constantine makes the decision to start Leleand Irving tonight...a good decision I think because he is just flat out more talented than Mike Wall. In reality, all he's doing is giving wall a breather. So here's the game situation...1-1 tie 12 minutes to go in the 2nd period. Tips get a power play. Constantine calls timeout. At about the 1:20 mark of the power play there is a stoppage. Constantine subs in Mike Wall for Leland Irving in net. Like every one else my first thought is...Irving got hurt and said something about it during the time out. But I notice when Irving goes off he just stand by the door...in full pads/helmet...and waits. Doesn't sit down. About 30 seconds later the Tips score on the power play. Irving subs back in for Wall and finishes off a 25 save night and a 3-1 Tips win.

Anybody ever see anything like this? Anyone know what the reason behind it was? The only thing I can think of was during the Time out Constantine put some kind of Power play "play" on and Irving didn't know how to run it? Anyone else got any thoughts (without the Coach C bashing)?

BTW, in an interesting scoring quirk....Wall gets the credit for the win despite no saves, 1 minute of play and no shots on goal. He was between the pipes when the winner was scored so he gets the win...all though Irving gets the #2 star. Weird.

Switching your goalie buys you time without using a timeout. It's usually done late in a game to give your number 1 PP unit a rest so they can stay on the ice. He just decided to use the idea earlier, perhaps to give his team a jump and keep the pressure on.

Old
01-20-2005, 07:33 PM
CF

Whenever I hear the word Constantine I want to puke.

Back to your conversation...

Old
02-06-2005, 05:01 PM
MikeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF
Whenever I hear the word Constantine I want to puke.

Back to your conversation...
Is it 'cause the Giants got beat in 6 games by his team last year? I bet that makes you a little queasy....

Old
02-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS
Is it 'cause the Giants got beat in 6 games by his team last year? I bet that makes you a little queasy....
That's funny you don't try and mention Everett's record against the Giants so far this season...

Old
02-06-2005, 05:39 PM
MikeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
That's funny you don't try and mention Everett's record against the Giants so far this season...
No, you are correct, I did not! So that oughta settle your stomach just a little.

Of course, the playoffs are coming....

Old
02-07-2005, 12:26 AM
CF

No, I hate Constantine because he's a poison to the game. It has nothing to do with him playing for the Tips.

Old
02-07-2005, 12:31 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF
No, I hate Constantine because he's a poison to the game. It has nothing to do with him playing for the Tips.
First of all, Constantine doesn't play for the Silvertips.

Secondly, do you always say things like this without even trying to explain yourself?

Old
02-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS
No, you are correct, I did not! So that oughta settle your stomach just a little.

Of course, the playoffs are coming....
Well then we are even. And I'm not worried come playoff time...

Old
02-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Greg7

I'd be happy if we got to play the Tips in the playoffs... that means we're out of the first round. Of course, the downside would be all those damn cow bells again. WOW I hate those. I don't know if I'll ever be able to bring myself to see a game in Everett again - the cowbells, the cheering for icings, the booing at seemingly random times, it's all too much. At the end of the day, though, it's nice to see a city with not much hockey history (at least that I'm aware of) support their team so well. Plus they have Hamill. That has to count for something.

Old
02-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg7
Plus they have Hamill. That has to count for something.
To me that is a another bad thing. Just means more stupid fans yelling and cheering for him while they are rambling about a bunch of stuff they have no idea about. There are always a ton of them doing that in Vancouver... :mad:

Old
02-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Tipped Off

Send a message via AIM to Tipped Off Send a message via MSN to Tipped Off Send a message via Yahoo to Tipped Off
2nd round

Well, I don;t think you'll have to worry about playing this team in the 2nd round. This is a different team than last year. Too young. They will probably hold on the 2nd in the U.S. division, but come playoff time the pressure & checking get a lot tougher. I would love it if they made another run but I just don;t think this team can do it. With those 9 rookies on the roster, though....look out in 2006/2007.

Closed Thread