HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign F Aaron Volpatti

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2010, 08:52 PM
  #51
Jay Cee
P4G
 
Jay Cee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Wow, he was basically a grinder for 3 seasons in the BCHL then 3 seasons in the NCAA before putting a half-decent year together at the age of 24. Can't say I'm that excited.
Maybe he's not supposed to make you excited. Maybe he is just a signing for the Moose that has some chance to play in the NHL some day.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:13 PM
  #52
Shane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,974
vCash: 500
Revelstoke represent!

Maybe we'll finally have a Revelstoke NHLer now, and Sicamous will shut it's damn mouth

Aaron was an offensive player at the midget level growing up, so I think the talent is there somewhat, but really for any player with a shot at making the NHL, you were probably a scorer at that level. Look at a guy like Stu Grimson, who put up respectable point totals in his final WHL season. No one would ever confuse him as an offensive player.

I want to see Aaron succeed as much as anyone, but realistically it's going to be in a niche role as a grinder/energy-type player. Anyone holding their breath for some hereunto hidden offensive talent is probably deluding themselves.

That said, I'm pretty stoked for the guy. Being able to sign a pro-contract with the team you grew up watching is pretty special.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:39 PM
  #53
letterH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
I recall he suffered quite the injury while playing in Vernon and was told he may not play again. If I remember correctly he suffered burns to his legs, groin and thighs during a camping trip after the Vipers were eliminated. At least thats what I think happened. He spent quite a bit of time in the burn unit in Vancouver.

Sorry if thats vague, I just remember seeing it in the paper and on the local news.

letterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:31 PM
  #54
StrictlyCommercial
Registered User
 
StrictlyCommercial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Revelstoke represent!

Maybe we'll finally have a Revelstoke NHLer now, and Sicamous will shut it's damn mouth

Aaron was an offensive player at the midget level growing up, so I think the talent is there somewhat, but really for any player with a shot at making the NHL, you were probably a scorer at that level. Look at a guy like Stu Grimson, who put up respectable point totals in his final WHL season. No one would ever confuse him as an offensive player.

I want to see Aaron succeed as much as anyone, but realistically it's going to be in a niche role as a grinder/energy-type player. Anyone holding their breath for some hereunto hidden offensive talent is probably deluding themselves.

That said, I'm pretty stoked for the guy. Being able to sign a pro-contract with the team you grew up watching is pretty special.
It's ok to be jealous

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:41 PM
  #55
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letterH View Post
I recall he suffered quite the injury while playing in Vernon and was told he may not play again. If I remember correctly he suffered burns to his legs, groin and thighs during a camping trip after the Vipers were eliminated. At least thats what I think happened. He spent quite a bit of time in the burn unit in Vancouver.

Sorry if thats vague, I just remember seeing it in the paper and on the local news.
All I could track down on that was that one of his favorite career moments was returning to the ice "after a major injury". The interview didn't elaborate.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:53 PM
  #56
Shane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letterH View Post
I recall he suffered quite the injury while playing in Vernon and was told he may not play again. If I remember correctly he suffered burns to his legs, groin and thighs during a camping trip after the Vipers were eliminated. At least thats what I think happened. He spent quite a bit of time in the burn unit in Vancouver.

Sorry if thats vague, I just remember seeing it in the paper and on the local news.
I can confirm this. He was pouring gasoline on the fire and suffered some pretty serious burns.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:10 PM
  #57
galiano
Registered User
 
galiano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: why do you ask ?
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I can confirm this. He was pouring gasoline on the fire and suffered some pretty serious burns.

Geez I hope this guy has more hockey sense than common sense.

Pouring gasoline on a fire

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:33 PM
  #58
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
Geez I hope this guy has more hockey sense than common sense.

Pouring gasoline on a fire
He's a big David Bowie fan.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:34 PM
  #59
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Wow, he was basically a grinder for 3 seasons in the BCHL then 3 seasons in the NCAA before putting a half-decent year together at the age of 24. Can't say I'm that excited.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat.

This guy was a total nobody through his BCHL career and through his NCAA career at a mediocre program until he has a good year as a senior at age 24-25 when he's eons older than everyone he's playing against.

NHL GMs are like sheep and 'Undrafted UFA NCAAers!' is the new trend after Anaheim had some success with it a few years back. Just like when drafting older Euros became a trend after Ottawa was successful.

To me, it's much more worthwhile to sign an undrafted 20 y/o CHL player and develop him in your system than to try signing an undrafted 25 y/o NCAA player who is already pretty much a finished product. A guy like Tyler Schmidt in Tri-Cities would be worth a look after he passes through the draft again this year.

Hopefully Volpatti does well, but he's an *old* prospect and I don't see this turning out much differently than Walsky last year.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:01 AM
  #60
JarkkoRuutu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
So they've signed a pyromaniac with no common sense who puts his own personal stat records ahead of the good of the team?

Seems like a no-risk move, assuming he doesn't torch more promising prospects or start taking stupid penalties to get his name in where Brookbank's is.

JarkkoRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:15 AM
  #61
LostMyGlasses*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Simon Fraser
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post

Pouring gasoline on a fire
If he applies that decision making logic to a Pro game, I would love to watch the outcome.


LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:34 AM
  #62
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,370
vCash: 200
We need guys for our AHL team, and the occasionally 2-3 NHL games. Good signing.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:23 AM
  #63
Kickassguy
Registered User
 
Kickassguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,499
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Gasoline on a fire?

LOL.

I like this guy already.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:31 AM
  #64
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
Gasoline on a fire?

LOL.

I like this guy already.
A trick he learned from Brian Burke perhaps?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:57 AM
  #65
God
Free Citizen
 
God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,721
vCash: 500
I bet that we beat burke to him.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:03 AM
  #66
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra
 
Dirkph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 500
AHL signing. I don't think the Canucks have high hopes of him cracking the NHL roster.

I do believe that it's an important signing for the Moose who seem to be struggling this year. Our higher end prospects will develop much better with a guy like Volpatti in the lineup.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 08:55 AM
  #67
Ajackalit
Registered User
 
Ajackalit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkph View Post
AHL signing. I don't think the Canucks have high hopes of him cracking the NHL roster.
I do believe that it's an important signing for the Moose who seem to be struggling this year. Our higher end prospects will develop much better with a guy like Volpatti in the lineup.
I wouldn't be so sure. It looks like his contract is a 2 year, one way deal that pays him $500k per season ($100k signing bonus + $400 salary) whether he plays in Manitoba or Vancouver.

I don't think Gillis does a deal like this unless he's confidant Volpatti can play in Vancouver.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...i-canucks.html

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:26 AM
  #68
BerSTUzzi
Registered User
 
BerSTUzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
From all indications he could be Labrie with skating ability and that's a good thing. If he can be a big body, mean hitter, and a good fighter that would be sweet. He also went to Brown, so the kid is freaking smart.

BerSTUzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:09 AM
  #69
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMFRoyal View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. It looks like his contract is a 2 year, one way deal that pays him $500k per season ($100k signing bonus + $400 salary) whether he plays in Manitoba or Vancouver.

I don't think Gillis does a deal like this unless he's confidant Volpatti can play in Vancouver.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...i-canucks.html
One-way? Wow. Pretty sweet deal for an undrafted 25-year-old coming out of the NCAA, but that's a pretty steep price.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:47 PM
  #70
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
One-way? Wow. Pretty sweet deal for an undrafted 25-year-old coming out of the NCAA, but that's a pretty steep price.
I think we had to in a way throw money at him, due to all the competition. He did go on record saying that highest contract bidder would win his services, no matter which team it was.

I guess its good we have owners with deep pockets. Capgeek has him listed as a one-way 2 years for $612,500. They also added in Schroeders as well.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:12 PM
  #71
Ajackalit
Registered User
 
Ajackalit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I think we had to in a way throw money at him, due to all the competition. He did go on record saying that highest contract bidder would win his services, no matter which team it was.

I guess its good we have owners with deep pockets. Capgeek has him listed as a one-way 2 years for $612,500. They also added in Schroeders as well.
I'm surprised they gave Schroeder that much money....it's the same deal as the 7th pick (Kadri) signed.

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:18 PM
  #72
Wayne Maki
Registered User
 
Wayne Maki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I guess its good we have owners with deep pockets. Capgeek has him listed as a one-way 2 years for $612,500. They also added in Schroeders as well.
That makes more sense than what CBC is reporting as the minimum NHL salary is $500K.

Wayne Maki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:20 PM
  #73
Kmode
Registered User
 
Kmode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I think we had to in a way throw money at him, due to all the competition. He did go on record saying that highest contract bidder would win his services, no matter which team it was.

I guess its good we have owners with deep pockets. Capgeek has him listed as a one-way 2 years for $612,500. They also added in Schroeders as well.
He is a good buddy of mine's cousin, and I talked to him yesterday. The Red Wings offered him a bigger contract and 3 years but Aaron grew up a Canucks fan and Vancouver also gave him a bigger signing bonus $200,000.

He is a good teammate who will fight anybody and hits everything that moves. I'd say he is comparable to Tanner Glass, so we shouldn't be too excited. The Moose will love this guy though.

Kmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:52 PM
  #74
Kickassguy
Registered User
 
Kickassguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,499
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmode View Post
He is a good buddy of mine's cousin, and I talked to him yesterday. The Red Wings offered him a bigger contract and 3 years but Aaron grew up a Canucks fan and Vancouver also gave him a bigger signing bonus $200,000.

He is a good teammate who will fight anybody and hits everything that moves. I'd say he is comparable to Tanner Glass, so we shouldn't be too excited. The Moose will love this guy though.
If the Wings were after him, that bodes well.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:11 AM
  #75
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,217
vCash: 500
One-way deal for a player of his age/pedigree seems dubious, to say the least.

Interested to see how he fares.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.