HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubnyk Wins Again! [EDM 5, SJS 1]

Old
03-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Boilers*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'd like to hear from Joe Thornton after this ass whoppin.

Was the game tough tonight Joe Joe?
Ha I love it "Yeah, did little Nilsson strip you of the puck and make you look like a big dummy Joe? A big useless dummy, with no hands who really just wants to sit in a dress and play with dolls, Joe? Hello? Was it tough Joe?"

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:03 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Dubnyk is the next Martin Brodeur.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:22 AM
Toydarian

Whitney probably has the nicest stretch pass I have seen in a long time...I can't even think of a player with a comparable pass. The mobility of Whitney and Gilbert (along with the reach) makes them a smooth pairing.

I thought the 3rd round pick was the best part of the Staios deal but it has proved just to be a bonus, Johnson has done everything Staios did but with more goals, an all around better game and much cheaper.

Good effort, good game. Although after the Olympics this year and having no playoff race, these last games are just flat out boring with no meaning.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:25 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Dubnyk is the next Martin Brodeur.
Gagner is the next Gretzky.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:28 AM
Trollmark*

then we are set for another dynasty!

Trollmark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:39 AM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Gagner is the next Gretzky.
Did you just bring up Gagner again? You must be really high on the kid to compare him to Gretzky.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:45 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
Did you just bring up Gagner again? You must be really high on the kid to compare him to Gretzky.

-JH.
Better than Gretzky. Not as good as Moreau though. That guy gets a bad rap.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Been a while since I've seen the Oilers dominate a game like that.

Basically won 2 out of 3 fights no contest and completely ran roughshod over a conference leader (albeit one who is struggling atm).

Glad that TO has built up such a cushion though, because otherwise the Oilers would be hitting their stride at the wrong time...

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:14 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesed-off View Post
oilers better not screw this one up.

i bet most of those who say last place is in the bag are the same ppl who wanted the oil to tank last year, while the playoffs were still in reach.

not likely to lose last place, but its by no means in the bag...
Oh for ****s sake.

11 points in 10 games? Edmonton could win all 10 games and still pick 30th. Toronto would only need to play .500 hockey. Given how far-fetched even that scenario is, it's safe to say it's in the damn bag. Not going to catch up to them. Will not happen.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 03:02 AM
Philly85
Moody'

good game for Horc.

I have to say, as much as the guy grates on me for being so damn ineffective and generally frustrating to watch for VAST stretches during different points of several different seasons... when he's on, he's ON.

Hate the contract, not a big fan of his as a player but I really hope he can turn his game around and find that consistency, would be a great help to the organization. Could be a very good 2nd or 3rd line center, because the bottom line is he's a good player who's had an absolutely atrocious, embarrassing season and I don't think it's been a real representation of his overall play and capabilities.

players I'm excited about or happy for after this win:

johnson
whitney (both guys a real pleasant surprise)
Penner
Brule
Nilsson (what a tease...)
Dubnyk (they should ride him out till the season ends)
Horcoff (too bad it took almost 4 months for him to find his game)

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 03:18 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Not sure what's funnier Gagner being compared to Gretzky or Moreau getting a bad rap! Obviously Gagner will never be as good as Gretz (not a shot at him or anything) and Moreau deserves all the crap thrown his way. From blaming everyone but himself including young goalies, acting as if he can't wait to leave and already checked out of Edmonton long before the deadline, takes the worst penalties at the worst times imaginable (but he's a big contributor in our Fall 4 Hall/Beggin' for Seguin dive!). It's a 50/50 proposition, both are ridiculous statements

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:04 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
good game for Horc.

I have to say, as much as the guy grates on me for being so damn ineffective and generally frustrating to watch for VAST stretches during different points of several different seasons... when he's on, he's ON.

Hate the contract, not a big fan of his as a player but I really hope he can turn his game around and find that consistency, would be a great help to the organization. Could be a very good 2nd or 3rd line center, because the bottom line is he's a good player who's had an absolutely atrocious, embarrassing season and I don't think it's been a real representation of his overall play and capabilities.

You can see the break really helped Horcoff, he's looked like a different/rejuvenated player out there since he got those 2 weeks off.

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:08 AM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Not sure what's funnier Gagner being compared to Gretzky or Moreau getting a bad rap! Obviously Gagner will never be as good as Gretz (not a shot at him or anything) and Moreau deserves all the crap thrown his way. From blaming everyone but himself including young goalies, acting as if he can't wait to leave and already checked out of Edmonton long before the deadline, takes the worst penalties at the worst times imaginable (but he's a big contributor in our Fall 4 Hall/Beggin' for Seguin dive!). It's a 50/50 proposition, both are ridiculous statements
Oh for goodness sake Brian, ease up. You know IATL is joking right? Can't you just enjoy a good old fashion ass whoopin, dealt to to a top team, by the Oilers? It's nice to come onto a PGT and see all the positive, happy, hell almost civil comments for a change.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:12 AM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Oh for ****s sake.

11 points in 10 games? Edmonton could win all 10 games and still pick 30th. Toronto would only need to play .500 hockey. Given how far-fetched even that scenario is, it's safe to say it's in the damn bag. Not going to catch up to them. Will not happen.
Probably won't happen, yes.

But is it impossible for the Oil to go 8-2 and Toronto 2-8, for example ?

No, not impossible therefore not in the bag.

Or do you consider a 5-0 lead in the bag ?

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:18 AM
mactforcoach

Quote:

Doing the math, sure they could loose first pick. Doing the logic, I can't see it happening. Knowing the Oilers, it will come down to overtime in the final game, thats what makes this team so damn exciting all the time.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:25 AM
reginaoil

Quote:
I miss Marty Sakic, he was the greatest.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:10 AM
otto84

From Nabokov:
"It was quite embarrassing to be honest, to lose that way," he said. "I don't know if this is rock bottom or not, but we are certainly hoping it is. Hopefully we can get back to climbing the hill after this. I think the confidence level is nowhere to be found right now and we have to find it."

Wtf... seriously? Nice defeatist attitude.

No wonder why these guys suck in the playoffs.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Pros and Cons

Anyone else just love Thornton getting stripped of the puck on that rush and then goes off to the bench???? WTF? Are you trying to make us think you were not just robbed of the puck, but were going off anyways. Give up much?

Pros and Cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:22 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:

Impossible? No. Highly improbable to the point where the possibility no longer worth talking about? Yes.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:55 AM
ral89

Quote:

A 5-0 lead with 4:56 left in the third and san jose not scoring till 3:03. Yea i'd consider that game in the bag!
On a side note why is this thread on 3 pages long? If we had lost it would be like 7-10 pages alrdy. lol

ral89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:02 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Very nice to see them play this way going into next year, Whitney has supremely impressed me who was one of his biggest critics, the guy has been a flat out stud, i hope he keeps it up next year when the games start to mean something.
Also, i think Johnson could very well be better than a #6-7 defenseman, maybe not a top 4 guy but he could be a very solid #5 guy for us going forward and i've been saying this for a while, Brule is on the verge of a major breakout, i'm talking Peca type breakout, i really believe that he will be more important to this team than Gagner when all is said and done, he's a wrecking ball out there, QUINN, KEEP PLAYING BRULE WITH PENNER.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:03 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pros and Cons View Post
Anyone else just love Thornton getting stripped of the puck on that rush and then goes off to the bench???? WTF? Are you trying to make us think you were not just robbed of the puck, but were going off anyways. Give up much?
Yeah that was just sad . Quick Joe , if you get off fast enough you won't get a minus ... sure enough look who finished even last night .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'd like to hear from Joe Thornton after this ass whoppin.

Was the game tough tonight Joe Joe?
I can't believe that he got out of town without answering that question . There are ways the question could be asked without making it an obvious insult , and somebody sure should have had the stones to ask it .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:24 PM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral89 View Post
A 5-0 lead with 4:56 left in the third and san jose not scoring till 3:03. Yea i'd consider that game in the bag!
On a side note why is this thread on 3 pages long? If we had lost it would be like 7-10 pages alrdy. lol
Well, what about a 3-0 lead with 4 minutes to go in a playoff game ?

It's when you consider the game in the bag that you screw up and lose.

Remember after Pronger's goal in game 1 of the finals ? He celebrated too much.

Just like Fleury after the OT goal in game 6 1991. If you were a fan then, you will remember that the Oil were down 3-0 in the first period, and Tikk "the 1-man wrecking crew" as John MacKeachie called him, yelled at the guys and rallied them to a 5-4 win. As an aside, if you wonder why Calgary fans hate the Oilers so much, it's because of games like that 1991 series. Don Cherry said the Stanley Cup should have been awarded right then and there...

Anyway, as I was saying, it's when you get cocky that you get burned.

Last edited by cheesed-off*: 03-22-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old
03-22-2010, 10:25 PM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Very nice to see them play this way going into next year, Whitney has supremely impressed me who was one of his biggest critics, the guy has been a flat out stud, i hope he keeps it up next year when the games start to mean something.
Also, i think Johnson could very well be better than a #6-7 defenseman, maybe not a top 4 guy but he could be a very solid #5 guy for us going forward and i've been saying this for a while, Brule is on the verge of a major breakout, i'm talking Peca type breakout, i really believe that he will be more important to this team than Gagner when all is said and done, he's a wrecking ball out there, QUINN, KEEP PLAYING BRULE WITH PENNER.
Interesting comparison to Peca. When I hear people complaining about those who harp on his size, the first thing I think about is Peca - he was never a big guy, but all muscle and sinew and heart...

Old
03-23-2010, 04:15 AM
ral89

Quote:
Well, what about a 3-0 lead with 4 minutes to go in a playoff game ?

It's when you consider the game in the bag that you screw up and lose.

Remember after Pronger's goal in game 1 of the finals ? He celebrated too much.

Just like Fleury after the OT goal in game 6 1991. If you were a fan then, you will remember that the Oil were down 3-0 in the first period, and Tikk "the 1-man wrecking crew" as John MacKeachie called him, yelled at the guys and rallied them to a 5-4 win. As an aside, if you wonder why Calgary fans hate the Oilers so much, it's because of games like that 1991 series. Don Cherry said the Stanley Cup should have been awarded right then and there...

Anyway, as I was saying, it's when you get cocky that you get burned.
There's a big difference between a 5-0 lead and a 3-0 lead also a big difference between regular season and playoffs.

ral89 is offline   Reply With Quote