Notices

I'll just leave this link here....

Old
03-22-2010, 01:32 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Do you guys really want to re-up Ebbett? I'm not too sure I'd be on board with that.
He's playing hard, and we are talking about 4th line minutes. If he got more than 7 minutes of ice time I would be shocked with what this team could potentially have for the top 3 lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post

We can't really know what kind of deals will happen this offseason since Blackhawks need to clear some major cap space, so we can see what they will do this offseason and hopefully pry away a Sharp from them, then I think that Ebbett may be expendable, but I remember reading something about how Sharp would prefer to be a winger rather than a center. I also think that we need a legit shooting winger for Koivu rather than a #2 center, but we can see what Fletcher can do.
A top scoring threat would make life a lot easier I agree. Maybe even Versteeg?? I know he isn't top line material, but I am also trying to be realistic with my expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTenderness View Post
I'd like to see someone with a good shot playing center between those two. Whoever's playing center on that line is going to get their share of scoring chances, I want someone who can bury it more often than not. Based on what I've heard and seen of the kid, Wellman has the potential to be that guy.
Oh he has the potential, but it will take more than a year for him to really develop it though IMO. I would say maybe this time next year, he could pulling that line down. Till then, I just want to ease him into it a little.

Quote:
I put Kassian out there because I've heard he's been playing pretty decently defensively down in Houston this year. I also like the idea of having a crash-and-bang, defensive line with a guy who can drop the mitts with anyone.
I haven't watched the Aeros play at all this year, so if he's doing it. I have no gripes about giving him a shot, but I don't want to lose out on someone who can actually put the puck in net and bang up on the boards either. We drop Boogaard it'll help. Tired of players who can't do anything.

Quote:
I think we re-sign Sheppard and let him work on his game in the off-season. If he comes into camp not showing any improvement, then you waive him and hope he makes it to the minors to find his game again.
If we sign him to a 2-way, MAYBE. But then we pay him and waive him and watch him get picked up.

Quote:
I'd re-up Ebbett for another year. We should be able to get him inked for another year at or close to the league minimum. That's pretty good value for a center who has already shown he can fill in on any line if needed. He also brings pretty good speed, work ethic, and is a decent forechecker, all of which are valuable in this system.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:05 PM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
A top scoring threat would make life a lot easier I agree. Maybe even Versteeg?? I know he isn't top line material, but I am also trying to be realistic with my expectations.
Versteeg maybe, but I know the majority of us would rather have Sharp, and I think Russo tweeted that we were pushing hard for Sharp at the deadline, but obviously, the Hawks didn't want to let him go. I think it is a possibility to get him, but I'm sure many other teams think he would be a great fit.

Other than Chicago, what other teams will be willing to trade away a winger? Most likely someone who is looking for goaltending I would guess in which we could swing a Goalie for a nice forward or some sort of package.

What could we give up to get Sharp also? Chicago would be moving him out to clear cap space, but what then would we be able to offer that other teams don't have?

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:40 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Do you guys really want to re-up Ebbett? I'm not too sure I'd be on board with that.
You aren't going to find a better deal on the free agent market.

Quote:
I think that one of our goalies will be moving this offseason, most likely Harding since I remember reading that Backstrom has a NTC or NMC. I don't know what it is because I can't find anything on it either, but I think Backstrom will stay.
It will be Harding for a few reasons. First, Backstrom does have a two-year NTC that can be extended by incentives he will most likely hit. Second, not too many teams can afford a goalie with that contract hit; plus given the difference between the fifth and twentieth goalie it usually is not worth it. Third, Harding is the best chip Fletcher has left in his arsenal and while I doubt it will be foolishly spent, there will be a market for him around the draft and there are still a couple holes to fix. If Harding gets traded, I expect it to be then.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 08:06 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Versteeg maybe, but I know the majority of us would rather have Sharp, and I think Russo tweeted that we were pushing hard for Sharp at the deadline, but obviously, the Hawks didn't want to let him go. I think it is a possibility to get him, but I'm sure many other teams think he would be a great fit.

Other than Chicago, what other teams will be willing to trade away a winger? Most likely someone who is looking for goaltending I would guess in which we could swing a Goalie for a nice forward or some sort of package.

What could we give up to get Sharp also? Chicago would be moving him out to clear cap space, but what then would we be able to offer that other teams don't have?
As I said in a couple other posts, anything but Koivu is up for grabs IMO. The one thing that gets to me the most about my fellow Minnesota (all sports) fans is our inability to let people go because they are playing here. If a better opportunity arises in order to make us better, then it should at least be considered. From my standpoint, Mikko is the only player that is franchise player bound. But I also have some stupid ass expectations for this team in the next coming years, so I'm going to be a lot more critical.

There is a special deal with Chicago I have proposed to my friends that are STHs with them and they liked it. Most here would castrate me though

Old
03-23-2010, 08:11 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Third, Harding is the best chip Fletcher has left in his arsenal and while I doubt it will be foolishly spent, there will be a market for him around the draft and there are still a couple holes to fix. If Harding gets traded, I expect it to be then.
Same was said last year, and I believe he was going to be moved to St. Louis until they picked up Conklin instead. We will see what comes around this time, and I have a few teams in mind who will be looking for it. Chicago, Philly, Washington, Isles, Atlanta, Tampa, and probably Edmonton.

Old
03-23-2010, 11:17 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
As I said in a couple other posts, anything but Koivu is up for grabs IMO. The one thing that gets to me the most about my fellow Minnesota (all sports) fans is our inability to let people go because they are playing here. If a better opportunity arises in order to make us better, then it should at least be considered. From my standpoint, Mikko is the only player that is franchise player bound. But I also have some stupid ass expectations for this team in the next coming years, so I'm going to be a lot more critical.

There is a special deal with Chicago I have proposed to my friends that are STHs with them and they liked it. Most here would castrate me though
Lats and Havlat are about the only other guys besides that I see here that are locks to be here for the next 5 years. I am excited to see what kind of movement takes place at the draft this year being that last year was kind of weak at the draft, I think we're going to see a lot more movement during the draft.

What's your deal with Chicago?

Old
03-23-2010, 11:59 AM
djp4516

Still think our best bet will continue to be some kind of deal with Harding and David Bolland. I can't say enough how much I like that guy.

djp4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:54 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Lats and Havlat are about the only other guys besides that I see here that are locks to be here for the next 5 years. I am excited to see what kind of movement takes place at the draft this year being that last year was kind of weak at the draft, I think we're going to see a lot more movement during the draft.

What's your deal with Chicago?
I think we'll see some RFA movement and probably Harding...that will be about it. Issue is, we have so much tied up into Backstrom now that it does hurt our chances at signing a high profile FA anyways. Bouchard needs to be off the books again. Sykora didn't work out so hopefully we stay away from the over the hill guys.

The deal would never work in hindsight but they thought it was pretty fair and balanced. Helps them out mucho beuno and gets them under the cap a lot quicker. It does mean we take on a high ass contract though....

Chicago:
Harding
Burns
Nolan
Brodziak
2010 Washington's 2nd rounder

Minnesota:
Sharp
Versteeg
Campbell

Fills the holes, and we get an overpaid dman who probably needs a fresh start out of Chicago and gives us two solid options on the PP working the point (Zidlicky and himself)

Versteeg-Koivu-Brunette
Latendresse-Sharp-Havlat
Clutterbuck-Bouchard (if he comes back)-Kobasew
Earl-Ebbett-Mittens

Zanon-Zidlicky
Barker-Campbell
Hnidy-Schultz

Backstrom
Anton Khudobin

Old
03-23-2010, 03:45 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
I think we'll see some RFA movement and probably Harding...that will be about it. Issue is, we have so much tied up into Backstrom now that it does hurt our chances at signing a high profile FA anyways. Bouchard needs to be off the books again. Sykora didn't work out so hopefully we stay away from the over the hill guys.

The deal would never work in hindsight but they thought it was pretty fair and balanced. Helps them out mucho beuno and gets them under the cap a lot quicker. It does mean we take on a high ass contract though....

Chicago:
Harding
Burns
Nolan
Brodziak
2010 Washington's 2nd rounder

Minnesota:
Sharp
Versteeg
Campbell

Fills the holes, and we get an overpaid dman who probably needs a fresh start out of Chicago and gives us two solid options on the PP working the point (Zidlicky and himself)

Versteeg-Koivu-Brunette
Latendresse-Sharp-Havlat
Clutterbuck-Bouchard (if he comes back)-Kobasew
Earl-Ebbett-Mittens

Zanon-Zidlicky
Barker-Campbell
Hnidy-Schultz

Backstrom
Anton Khudobin
Phew, that's quite the shake-up. I don't know how much I can agree with that trade, but I can see where you are coming from on it. It's not guranteed that Versteeg and Sharp would be able to produce the same, and I really don't like the idea of trading Burns away.

Campbell is signed for another 6 years at 7.1 million. I don't think there's any way that is worth taking on, but I think that a shake-up of the roster could be good. We pretty much have overhauled the whole thing since this point last year so I can see it.

The FA market won't be too good to us this off-season with the money tied up in Backstrom and PMB. Also, it doesn't look to be too strong of one since scoring wingers don't grow on trees, you pretty much have to develop one or hope to get to lucky and trade for one. I think that we won't do too much this offseason, I see us making one more trade with the Blackhawks and seeing Harding move. Then, hoepfully we pick up some talent int he draft.

Old
03-23-2010, 04:23 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

I would throw Havlat into that category as well right now. He doesn't have a Scott Gomez contract (and we don't have three of them where one needs to go) and is another piece that Fletcher is building around for the next five years. There is a case to be made for Backstrom, but under the right circumstances it is possible to see him moved.

Old
03-23-2010, 09:33 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It ain't over until...it's over.

Old
03-24-2010, 07:13 AM
BigT2002

Minnesota Wild Playoff Chances
Lost to Sharks 1-4, playoff odds down 0.4 to 0.1%
76 points 35-32-6

Old
03-25-2010, 03:58 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Believe me, I thought he had some type of NTC/NMC and I've searched all over for it. Even very good websites like capgeek who record all clauses have zero mention of it. Therefore, I'm of the belief that what he actually has is a verbal NTC (like Bouchard). Which was issued by Risebrough. So, in my opinion, that should be worth about as much as the paper it's not written on.

If you've got evidence he actually has a NTC, I'd like to see it. Because we've searched for it in GM games and couldn't find it for some reason. I know he had a limited NTC before this new contract he signed but can't find anything concrete regarding this contract.
Russo said it's a written NTC for 2 years (so 1 more year guaranteed), then it's based off stats for the next two years.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote