HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hemsky > Boston to get 1st + 2nd overall picks

Old
03-23-2010, 08:32 AM
ChuckD

vCash: 500
Hemsky > Boston to get 1st + 2nd overall picks

Hemsky + or - some additional later round picks to Boston (assuming they get 1st or 2nd pick in the lottery) to get Hall and Seguin. Boston gets scoring now and we jumpstart the rebuild with two exciting franchise forwards.

I love Hemsky but he's only got two years left on his deal. The Oil arn't gonna become contenders again soon enough to make him want to re-sign. So two years from now, instead of losing him at the deadline for a 1st rounder we already have this as our new first line:

Hall - Seguin - Eberle

I know we should be focusing on goaltending and defence, but that line could be ridiculous in a couple years. Thoughts?

ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Tyrolean

Gutsy move but sometimes you have to gamble big to win big. Trading your best player for a prospect no matter how how a draft choice he is, is always a big risk.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:06 AM
harpoon
FOB

Awesome , another freaken Hemsky to Boston thread .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
Hemsky + or - some additional later round picks to Boston (assuming they get 1st or 2nd pick in the lottery) to get Hall and Seguin. Boston gets scoring now and we jumpstart the rebuild with two exciting franchise forwards.

I love Hemsky but he's only got two years left on his deal. The Oil arn't gonna become contenders again soon enough to make him want to re-sign. So two years from now, instead of losing him at the deadline for a 1st rounder we already have this as our new first line:

Hall - Seguin - Eberle

I know we should be focusing on goaltending and defence, but that line could be ridiculous in a couple years. Thoughts?
Is there an echo in here? Brownlee floated this idea last week. Plus there is another thread on this just down the page that should address overall opinion.

Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Tommy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post

Hall - Seguin - Eberle

What a way to break into this forum with your 1st post, another trade Hemsky Thread. Look at that FIRST line, not ONE game of NHL experience amongst the 3 players, I can see that next season

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:21 AM
IBleedOil247

vCash: 681
Its gonna take Hemsky + Gagner/MPS to get that pick and we will have to take back Ryder........

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

NO NO NO

This is the worst season in Oilers history and people still don't get it that it's because of Hemsky. Sure he wasn't going to get us into the playoffs alone with this roster but he is the team's franchise player and will be for the next couple of years.

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Seguin/Hall/Fowler = potential franchise players
Hemsky = Not.

Quantity does not equal quality so adding more 2nd tier players to Hemsky doesn't work. Sorry, Boston doesn't trade that pick if it's top 3, and likely not at all anyway.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:43 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Hemsky = Not.

Quantity does not equal quality so adding more 2nd tier players to Hemsky doesn't work. Sorry, Boston doesn't trade that pick if it's top 3, and likely not at all anyway.
I made a post in the other thread and I don't even think Hemsky and Penner for Ryder and the pick goes through.

Really what are the point expectations of a top 2 pick like Hall/Seguin, around 50 in their first year and then 70-80 in year two? Heck from what I gather both these players are more touted then Kane who started with 70 points. And Hemsky is what a 70-80 point player? Just seems like a risk to move that pick for Hemsky+, unless that plus includes a Gagner.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:52 AM
SuperUke99

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I made a post in the other thread and I don't even think Hemsky and Penner for Ryder and the pick goes through.

Really what are the point expectations of a top 2 pick like Hall/Seguin, around 50 in their first year and then 70-80 in year two? Heck from what I gather both these players are more touted then Kane who started with 70 points. And Hemsky is what a 70-80 point player? Just seems like a risk to move that pick for Hemsky+, unless that plus includes a Gagner.
These two are not as skilled as Patrick Kane. Hemsky for a 1st would be a better deal for Boston that Edm as who knows if Hall turns into a good as a player as Hemsky? Hemmer is a top 20NHL'er when he is on his game. Plus Boston is in a win now status imo and could use a cheaper top player. I would rather actually see Edm move Dustin Penner than Hemsky who is alot more exciting to watch.

SuperUke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Boston are not going to trade their 1st rounder....ever

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:01 AM
obglim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Hemsky = actual star player.

This sounds like a great way to be the Tampa Bay Lightning. Lets trade away all the guys who will support the franchise players that we might never have. Then we can have lottery picks every year!

Quantity does not equal quality, but a quantity of actual NHL hockey players do equal a better NHL hockey team.

I am a little tired of the bipolar nature of this franchise.

"We have no puck movers."
"We have too many puck movers."
"Our defensive depth is lacking."
"Wow, we got a lot of defensemen!"
"We have no skilled forwards"
"We have far too many small skilled forwards, trade them all for gritty monsters."

The next one seems to be that we have no star players. So I am assuming that within 2 or 3 seasons we will have nothing but star players and $700k filler for the bottom 2 1/2 lines. And the cycle continues.

obglim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

I don't think Boston would do this.

Hemsky's a good player, but Boston has a chance to draft someone SO much better. Seguin or Hall could be the next Stamkos. Would you make that trade if you're Boston?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:

And you bring up another very good point.

We're talking a potential Stamkos like impact, which is gamebreaking talent, and potential 100 point/40 goal type player. The player drafted may turn out to be that, or may not, but there is still that potential. We know what Hemsky is already, you can realisitically expect 15-20 goals and 40-50 assists. Not a real good comparable.

Sure you can add pieces to Hemsky, but say you did add Gagner, it's not like both he and Hemsky will be on the ice at the same time and would make up for the loss of that franchise player. Add to that Boston is already deep at center and is heavily laden with 2nd and 3rd liners and the deal just doesnt make sense from their perspective. They'd be better off going for a Hall, Seguin, or Fowler... hell, even a Skinner. If you draft one of those guys and add them to an already young core of Bergeron, Krejci, Lucic, Wheeler, Stuart, Sobotka, MacQuaid, etc.... your window gets a lot bigger.

Old
03-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Wheatking

Fowler isn't a franchise player. If he was 18 in 2008 he probably would have gone 4th or 5th overall. He's not even close to Doughty(franchise player) and probably a step below Bogosian.

...and I think Tambellini should start calling Tampa. They're in 28th right now while only 4 points in front of the Leafs. Lightning are on a 5 game losing streak while the Leafs have won 3 straight. I wouldn't be surprised if they're in 29th by the end of the season.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:51 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Fowler isn't a franchise player. If he was 18 in 2008 he probably would have gone 4th or 5th overall. He's not even close to Doughty(franchise player) and probably a step below Bogosian.

...and I think Tambellini should start calling Tampa. They're in 28th right now while only 4 points in front of the Leafs. Lightning are on a 5 game losing streak while the Leafs have won 3 straight. I wouldn't be surprised if they're in 29th by the end of the season.
There is nothing on our roster that Tampa needs so that'll never happen.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
They're a bottom 3 team. They need a lot. With Stamkos and Lecavalier they may not exactly need Seguin. I think there is a deal to be made there.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:04 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I wouldn't say that. I don't see them as good trade partners, not because of needs as much as ownership issues with money in TB. But you can't tell me if there is a way to get Hemsky or Gagner that TB doesn't consider it.

Old
03-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:

I'd love for the Bruins to draft Fowler, you may not think his ceiling is high but a dman that can skate like that with that type of awareness would be god in Boston. A good comparable made on our board (I think) was one to Keith. A transitional dman with speed happens to be one of Bostons biggest weaknesses as well.

Yea, I'd take Fowler before trading a 3rd overall pick for Hemsky too. Just my honest opinion. I'm also pretty high on Skinner as well. You might be right about TB too, hard to say but not a lot of time to make up points. TB should be decent, they have a pretty good group of guys there.

Old
03-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Philly85
Moody'

yeah like this hasn't been discussed at length already...

ain't happening though, as much as one would like to believe.

Last edited by Philly85: 03-23-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:13 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
I wouldn't say that. I don't see them as good trade partners, not because of needs as much as ownership issues with money in TB. But you can't tell me if there is a way to get Hemsky or Gagner that TB doesn't consider it.
Their 2 biggest needs are goalie and a shutdown defenseman, these are two things that we need as well so they are not going to trade a top 3-5 pick for Hemsky when they already have St. Louis or Penner when they already have Malone or Gagner when they already have Stamkos and Vinny..... They would be better served to trade the pick to a team like Montreal for Halak or Price+ to fill a major need.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:14 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
They're a bottom 3 team. They need a lot. With Stamkos and Lecavalier they may not exactly need Seguin. I think there is a deal to be made there.
I'm just kinda looking and it seems that their d is their problem. Having just about half your d salary spent on Ohlund and Meszaros isn't working for them. I wonder how the addition of Fowler would be in TB? They have some pretty damn good pieces in their top 6 and if they could add another Tanguay next year they should be okay in their top 6. Goaltending and defense looks to be the problem, just not sure we can help in those areas unless we move an offensive guy like Gilbert for Meszaros.

Old
03-23-2010, 11:18 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Their 2 biggest needs are goalie and a shutdown defenseman, these are two things that we need as well so they are not going to trade a top 3-5 pick for Hemsky when they already have St. Louis or Penner when they already have Malone or Gagner when they already have Stamkos and Vinny..... They would be better served to trade the pick to a team like Montreal for Halak or Price+ to fill a major need.
I only question if they take Hemsky to replace St.Louis? I do agree with you not only do they need a shutdown d, but they need a puck mover. I wouldn't trade that pick for Halak/Price+ either. Take Fowler, try move Smith and go after Turco or Ellis.