HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Starting goalie next season

Old
03-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

vCash: 500
Ray Emery anyone? will be coming off of season ending abdominal surgery but may be a cheaper risk/reward signing with definite upside...Only 27, 6'2 215 athletic guy...

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
I like the idea of Hiller, but it will be Jonas Gustavsson. He wanted to go to the Sharks last year, but nabby was stuck here and the Sharks had no $. Thats why he signed a 1 year deal. He will be a shark next season- you heard it here first... E5 b******!!!!
He signed a one year deal because that was his only option as it's an ELC. He's not going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundsHansen32 View Post
Ray Emery anyone? will be coming off of season ending abdominal surgery but may be a cheaper risk/reward signing with definite upside...Only 27, 6'2 215 athletic guy...
If you want to add to the locker room problems, sure. Emery may be cheap but he's very fragile and can be very problematic.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:29 AM
dumpnchase

If we can't get Nabby, I'll take Vesa. Play him & Greiss. Other workable solutions: Biron, Halak (only if he's cheap).

dumpnchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:54 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundsHansen32 View Post
No. Injury problems and a headcase. If it didn't work out in Philly, it's not going to work out for the Sharks.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 32 GP, 12-15-5 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:28 AM
Vaasa

Just let the young guys duel it out in camp and the start of the season. If that doesn't work out, someone is bound to have a young guy pushing out a solid backup or a starter somewhere, and that team will likely be open to moving a goalie. It happens pretty much every year.

But I would like to see Griess, Stalock, Sateri, Karlsson get a chance to duke it out. Some goalies don't really bloom until they've had a bit of NHL experience in them. Look at Kipper, Rinne, Pavelec, and probably half a dozen more.

Besides, hopefully if Nabby is going there will be other guys going too (JT, Blake, Huskins, etc) and the Sharks might actually do a real rebuild for once.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:45 AM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Just let the young guys duel it out in camp and the start of the season. If that doesn't work out, someone is bound to have a young guy pushing out a solid backup or a starter somewhere, and that team will likely be open to moving a goalie. It happens pretty much every year.

But I would like to see Griess, Stalock, Sateri, Karlsson get a chance to duke it out. Some goalies don't really bloom until they've had a bit of NHL experience in them. Look at Kipper, Rinne, Pavelec, and probably half a dozen more.

Besides, hopefully if Nabby is going there will be other guys going too (JT, Blake, Huskins, etc) and the Sharks might actually do a real rebuild for once.

Amen. If it's broke, fix it.

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Rickety Cricket

The problem I have with letting the young ones duke it out is I don't want them to get rushed and ruined their development.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Ray Emery?

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:24 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 3565
I think it's pretty obvious that the starting goalie next season is going to be the overworked corpse of Evgeni Nabuhkov, tied to the posts with a happy pony mask for 82 games.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that the starting goalie next season is going to be the overworked corpse of Evgeni Nabuhkov, tied to the posts with a happy pony mask for 82 games.
Much like Milhouse in that one Simpsons episode

Old
03-23-2010, 01:38 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

What was Millhouse's save percentage that episode? Is he pending UFA?

Old
03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
What was Millhouse's save percentage that episode? Is he pending UFA?
~17%. He did do a good job of trying to blow at the puck to stop it.

Old
03-23-2010, 01:41 PM
CBJenga

Quote:
Tying the goalie to the net worked in "The Mighty Ducks" to get Goldberg to stop the puck, maybe it'll do it for Nabby?

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:00 PM
19sharks19

I'd like to see our team make a pitch for one of the youngsters in L.A. or Schneider in Vancouver. Thus, have him battle it out with Greiss next season. Tired of the uncertainties with Naby and, the money he will demand for sure we will be able to use for other necessities.

19sharks19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 50
don't have the time to read through posts to see if it's been mentioned, but I really like Halack and Mtl has Price and him so I think that is where we should focus all our attention. Don't think we are going to replace this one in house unfortunately...

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:41 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper35 View Post
uhh...
I know nobody here is a fan of Hiller, but that guy isn't there anymore...
I am will aware Hiller is the goalie and Giguere was traded to Toronto for Toskala and Blake. Apologies for the typo, but given that I have Giguere as Toronto's goalie, I imagine everyone knew what I meant.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:45 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

I don't want to discount people's opinions on it, because he is a good young player, but every single GM in the league who is DESPERATE for a goalie will want a crack at Halak. There will be a hefty price tag attached, not to mention the draft picks required to get the rights to him.

Pending his performance the rest of the way and possibly the playoffs, it may be Price that's moved to make room for signing Halak anyway.

Old
03-23-2010, 02:53 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
I don't want to discount people's opinions on it, because he is a good young player, but every single GM in the league who is DESPERATE for a goalie will want a crack at Halak. There will be a hefty price tag attached, not to mention the draft picks required to get the rights to him.

Pending his performance the rest of the way and possibly the playoffs, it may be Price that's moved to make room for signing Halak anyway.
from my count there are really only maybe 5 teams looking for a goalie

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:06 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

I'd count about three more than that, and a few are also bottom dwelling teams with high draft picks and cap space to burn.

Old
03-23-2010, 03:11 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

i mean... we'll have cap space too, but we have guys like Seto and Pavs that need serious consideration.

Old
03-24-2010, 02:58 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
I know I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't mind Turco at the right price for a 1 or 2 year contract. His puck-handling would help our break-out and back-end immensely... teams wouldn't be able to fore-check us as aggressively and I think it would lead to spending a significant amount less time in our zone.

***ducks for cover***
I agree,If he would sign for a discount!!

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Rickety Cricket

There's a reason why the Stars were looking to get rid of Turco before they got Lehtonen.

Old
03-24-2010, 04:10 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

Don't worry guys I'll be the goalie, since I've never played before nor skated and I'm in my late 30's. Sounds like a win win to me! ha ha.

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 04:41 PM
MetropolisPt31

I wouldn't mind having Nabby stay. I don't think there's any one available that would be much of an upgrade, if at all. Now, assuming the Sharkies will part ways, I'll play along.

Using the UFA list from NHL Numbers, the only goalies who could maybe replace Nabby are:
  • Biron, Martin
  • Ellis, Dan
  • Emery, Ray
  • Theodore, Jose
  • Turco, Marty

Biron's backed up for too long and he's rustier than a shovel left out in the yard overnight. His 11-12 career playoff record doesn't help his case. Ellis is young but inconsistent. Emery is starting to get a case of chronic DiPietro-itis and his body is starting to fall apart already. Theodore is inconsistent, as is Turco. Also, only Emery has a winning playoff record in that bunch.

The RFA list is full of young goalies with potential:
  • Drouin-Deslauriers, Jeff
  • Dubnyk, Devan
  • Gustavsson, Jonas
  • Halak, Jaroslav
  • Harding, Josh
  • Lehtonen, Kari
  • Neuvirth, Michal
  • Niemi, Antti
  • Pavelec, Ondrej
  • Peters, Justin
  • Price, Carey
  • Schneider, Cory

I think only Halak can come in and replace Nabby halfway decently. He's still green and needs a few kinks to work out but he's show lots of talent. Gustavsson was highly touted but his style is very flawed and has a huge propensity for giving up bad goals - even more so than Nabby. Lehtonen is too fragile (so don't get too excited yet, Dallas) and

Pavelec, Price, Niemi, Schneider, and Harding (and Peters, to an extent) have lots of upside but they're all projects at this point. I wouldn't mind if the Sharks pick up Price as a backup, though. I still think the kid can be a major superstar in the league with the right handling.

Anywho, the Sharks will have to make a trade to bring in a starter who can effectively replace Nabby. Greiss is not the answer yet and there isn't a free agent who can come in and "win now."

MetropolisPt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 04:55 PM
dumpnchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolisPt31 View Post
I wouldn't mind having Nabby stay. I don't think there's any one available that would be much of an upgrade, if at all. Now, assuming the Sharkies will part ways, I'll play along.

Using the UFA list from NHL Numbers, the only goalies who could maybe replace Nabby are:
  • Biron, Martin
  • Ellis, Dan
  • Emery, Ray
  • Theodore, Jose
  • Turco, Marty

Biron's backed up for too long and he's rustier than a shovel left out in the yard overnight. His 11-12 career playoff record doesn't help his case. Ellis is young but inconsistent. Emery is starting to get a case of chronic DiPietro-itis and his body is starting to fall apart already. Theodore is inconsistent, as is Turco. Also, only Emery has a winning playoff record in that bunch.

The RFA list is full of young goalies with potential:
  • Drouin-Deslauriers, Jeff - not worth anything to the Sharks
  • Dubnyk, Devan - not worth anything to the Sharks
  • Gustavsson, Jonas - TOR isn't going to let him go
  • Halak, Jaroslav - Maybe MTL would let him go
  • Harding, Josh - Not ready
  • Lehtonen, Kari - DAL isn't going to let him go
  • Neuvirth, Michal - No
  • Niemi, Antti - Not proven
  • Pavelec, Ondrej - TOR isn't going to let him go
  • Peters, Justin - Not proven
  • Price, Carey - Maybe MTL would let him go
  • Schneider, Cory - Not proven, but potential is there

I think only Halak can come in and replace Nabby halfway decently. He's still green and needs a few kinks to work out but he's show lots of talent. Gustavsson was highly touted but his style is very flawed and has a huge propensity for giving up bad goals - even more so than Nabby. Lehtonen is too fragile (so don't get too excited yet, Dallas) and

Pavelec, Price, Niemi, Schneider, and Harding (and Peters, to an extent) have lots of upside but they're all projects at this point. I wouldn't mind if the Sharks pick up Price as a backup, though. I still think the kid can be a major superstar in the league with the right handling.

Anywho, the Sharks will have to make a trade to bring in a starter who can effectively replace Nabby. Greiss is not the answer yet and there isn't a free agent who can come in and "win now."
  • Drouin-Deslauriers, Jeff - not worth anything to the Sharks
  • Dubnyk, Devan - not worth anything to the Sharks
  • Gustavsson, Jonas - TOR isn't going to let him go
  • Halak, Jaroslav - Maybe MTL would let him go
  • Harding, Josh - Not ready
  • Lehtonen, Kari - DAL isn't going to let him go
  • Neuvirth, Michal - No
  • Niemi, Antti - Not proven
  • Pavelec, Ondrej - ATL isn't going to let him go
  • Peters, Justin - Not proven
  • Price, Carey - Maybe MTL would let him go
  • Schneider, Cory - Not proven, but potential is there

The Sharks should sign a cheap UFA goalie and should start the season with cheap UFA goalie + Greiss. If they fail trade for a goalie like Halak who the team wants to trade, they could probably get him or someone like him for a 2nd rounder.

dumpnchase is offline   Reply With Quote