HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Michal Rozsival appreciation thread (2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION)

Old
03-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I agree. But he needs to have a career year next season across the board. Or at least something close to that.
I'd like to see it as well. Still, on the flip side, if this team doesn't improve across the board, it'll be tough for him to improve significantly.

I'd like to see Staal develop into a Brent Seabrook type. 30ish points, but plays solid D and has a nice edge to his game. I'd be very content with that.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 08:13 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd like to see it as well. Still, on the flip side, if this team doesn't improve across the board, it'll be tough for him to improve significantly.

I'd like to see Staal develop into a Brent Seabrook type. 30ish points, but plays solid D and has a nice edge to his game. I'd be very content with that.
Staal needs an edge. I'd take a nasty streak over offense from him.

03-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Staal needs an edge. I'd take a nasty streak over offense from him.
Agreed. He's much better when he's using his body. I just think he's still going through the "Who am I?" phase. I don't think Tortorella's attempt to get more offense from him was the right move at this stage of the game.

Old
03-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I impressed with Staal, and continue to be.

But he is never going to be a franchise dman in my opinion, and sooner or later we will need to stop leaning on him as such.

Hes the perfect partner on d for a premier right handed shot.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 08:30 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Agreed. He's much better when he's using his body. I just think he's still going through the "Who am I?" phase. I don't think Tortorella's attempt to get more offense from him was the right move at this stage of the game.
while i agree that the attempt was a failure, i dont necessarilly think it was a big mistake to take a shot at it

i dont really think it hindered his developement elsewhere and many of us, myself included, thought he had more of an offensive upside than he really does

anyway...to keep this thread about Rosi...has anyone considered the role that Rosival has played in developing Staal? In my opinion Staal is at his best down low, in the corners and behind the goalline, as is Rosi. Staal handles himself like a seasoned pro in those areas of the ice...perhaps Rozsival "took him under his wing" and helped cut down on the learning curve? By all acounts Rosi is a great team guy so this would make sense

I have a feeling that Rozsival played a rather significant role in accelerating Staals development

anyone agree? disagree?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
while i agree that the attempt was a failure, i dont necessarilly think it was a big mistake to take a shot at it

i dont really think it hindered his developement elsewhere and many of us, myself included, thought he had more of an offensive upside than he really does
I think it was the wrong time to try and make the adjustment. I still think Staal can be a consistent 30 point d-man, but his defensive prowess is far more important to us than his offense.

Quote:
anyway...to keep this thread about Rosi...has anyone considered the role that Rosival has played in developing Staal? In my opinion Staal is at his best down low, in the corners and behind the goalline, as is Rosi. Staal handles himself like a seasoned pro in those areas of the ice...perhaps Rozsival "took him under his wing" and helped cut down on the learning curve? By all acounts Rosi is a great team guy so this would make sense

I have a feeling that Rozsival played a rather significant role in accelerating Staals development

anyone agree? disagree?
I think Staal makes Rozsival look like a competent defensemen. The same way he makes Girardi look like a #2/3 guy instead of the #4/5 guy he is. Staal has been excellent down low since Juniors. Has Rozsival helped Staal's development? Idk, perhaps, but I don't think he's trying to teach him the ropes more than any other d-man.

My issue with Rozsival is still his battles with consistency. He's playing well as of late, but I don't feel it will last.

Old
03-15-2010, 08:56 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:

I think Staal makes Rozsival look like a competent defensemen. The same way he makes Girardi look like a #2/3 guy instead of the #4/5 guy he is. Staal has been excellent down low since Juniors. Has Rozsival helped Staal's development? Idk, perhaps, but I don't think he's trying to teach him the ropes more than any other d-man.

My issue with Rozsival is still his battles with consistency. He's playing well as of late, but I don't feel it will last.

agree with the bolded for sure

and i never watched Staal in juniors but protecting the puck down low and controlling the corners has to be an entirely different expereince in the NHL compaired to juniors and i couldn't help but notice that Staal had almost 0 learning curve on the one thing Rosi does consistanly well (even when not playing with staal)

and this is not to take anything away from Staal...I could be way off base, but it was something i've been pondering for a little while

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:12 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

OK ROZSIVAL FANS! You might not be able to follow but:

If you're a D-man to the front-right of the crease, facing the right side and there's 4 teammates (3 directly in front of you and 1 to the front left) in your sights (IF YOU MOVE YOUR HEAD WITH AWARENESS LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO).....WHY DON"T YOU LOOK TO THE LEFT SIDE??????? ....COMPLETE HALF OF THE ICE UNNOTICED

AND PEOPLE GET ON HENRIKS CASE??!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!??

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post

If you're a D-man to the front-right of the crease, facing the right side and there's 4 teammates (3 directly in front of you and 1 to the front left) in your sights (IF YOU MOVE YOUR HEAD WITH AWARENESS LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO).....WHY DON"T YOU LOOK TO THE LEFT SIDE??????? ....COMPLETE HALF OF THE ICE UNNOTICED

Staal moved over to Rosies side, he's the one who left that side open.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:04 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:

That one was on Staal.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I should create a Ranger goal-blame chart starting with the following;

Was Rozsival on the ice? If Yes, its his fault. If no, move to next.

Old
03-22-2010, 07:29 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I should create a Ranger goal-blame chart starting with the following;

Was Rozsival on the ice? If Yes, its his fault. If no, move to next.
see now i like that idea. so simple.

why didnt i think of it. damn st lawrence guys always thinkin.....

let me add this........

after the if rozy is on the ice part.... and the answer is NO, then it automatically defaults to capt quaalude.

and if neither are on the ice and we give up a bad goal, i say you assign blame to whomever is first off the bench after the goal is scored.

makes it so much easier.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

Staal LD Rozy RD

Both players on the right side......who was out of position again?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Garfinkel1

He's a 3Mill defenseman. I would say he could be a 4mill if he didn't have so much trouble handling the puck. He loses it constantly on the point. So He essentially got free-agent prices.

He is not our problem. Gilroy should not be in the NHL. You can make the same case for both MDZ and AA as well but they both aren't terrible right now. I only wish they both spent this season in the AHL.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:35 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
He's a 3Mill defenseman. I would say he could be a 4mill if he didn't have so much trouble handling the puck. He loses it constantly on the point. So He essentially got free-agent prices.

He is not our problem. Gilroy should not be in the NHL. You can make the same case for both MDZ and AA as well but they both aren't terrible right now. I only wish they both spent this season in the AHL.

Would you trade Rozy for a $5M twenty-goal winger who also should be making ~$3M and has the same remaining contractual obligation (2012 UFA)?

JawandaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Would you trade Rozy for a $5M twenty-goal winger who also should be making ~$3M and has the same remaining contractual obligation (2012 UFA)?
Brian Rolston? No.

Old
03-22-2010, 02:41 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Brian Rolston? No.
Bingo.

JawandaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Bingo.
Rolston is NJ's version of Kotalik. They have a ton of players id like to deal for but he aint one of em.

Besides a NJ-NY trade is pretty unprecedented.

Old
03-23-2010, 11:46 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Please excuse my slight inaccuracy in my positional description, Staal moved in behind him and the left/rights were from my view lol.

Either way, I stand by what I said.
Terms such as "team" "cycle" and "head on a swivel" are a reality in this game, except when the R&R (and now G) boys are on the ice.
Staal manned the guy near the net. I blame Staal the least actually because his man was capable of the least.
Rozsival had the best seat in the house, not bodying anyone-watching the puck carrier-not moving his head to check around the net-his feet shuffled a couple feet though....
Watch it again a few times over, does it look to anyone else that the only guys not to be blamed are Callahan, Staal, and of course Hank???
Prospal could've been somewhere else i guess
Rozy floating around doing the usual and Drury should've been low immediately.

Save all your RD and LD for reading the roster. Doesn't hold too much water while the game is being played (correctly).

Old
03-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
see now i like that idea. so simple.

why didnt i think of it. damn st lawrence guys always thinkin.....

let me add this........

after the if rozy is on the ice part.... and the answer is NO, then it automatically defaults to capt quaalude.

and if neither are on the ice and we give up a bad goal, i say you assign blame to whomever is first off the bench after the goal is scored.

makes it so much easier.
Wait, thats not what you guys who relentlessly search for scapegoats have been doing all along?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:24 PM
satrabyk

Quote:

Wow pick one example and justify why he is a bad player. I agree with you he should have been more aware but how about the goal Boston scored Satan when Drury, Prospal and someone else i believe were all hipnotized by the puck and gave up the goal. This type of play his happening to every one on the team, because they are horrible set up with not much system, they play d way to scrambly and rely on desperation or Hank to make a big save.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:10 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Wow pick one example and justify why he is a bad player. I agree with you he should have been more aware but how about the goal Boston scored Satan when Drury, Prospal and someone else i believe were all hipnotized by the puck and gave up the goal. This type of play his happening to every one on the team, because they are horrible set up with not much system, they play d way to scrambly and rely on desperation or Hank to make a big save.
No offense, not trying to start a fight here, but it doesn't seem like you've read too much....you'd find that the bolded is exactly the goal we're speaking of, and I did mention that Drury, Prospal, and obviously Bumzi were guilty of complete unawareness.

That example is a typical one...if one were to properly give credit for goals, he has more goals than Gretzky.

Old
03-25-2010, 10:43 PM
nyr2417

Michal Rozsival is our best d-man, It'll actually be sad to see him go this off-season. There is no doubt in my mind with the way that he's playing a team like phoenix/atlanta would take him in a heartbeat due to caphit vs. actual salary. JUST DUMP REDDEN IN HARTFORD AND KEEP ROSI!!!

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:44 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
Michal Rozsival is our best d-man, It'll actually be sad to see him go this off-season. There is no doubt in my mind with the way that he's playing a team like phoenix/atlanta would take him in a heartbeat due to caphit vs. actual salary. JUST DUMP REDDEN IN HARTFORD AND KEEP ROSI!!!
If they can find a way to get Redden off this team I wouldnt mind holding onto Rozsival. The guy played 30 minutes tonight!

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:13 PM
nyr2417

Seeing rosi stop parise one on one was great. Please, please, please keep him and send redden to hartford. send redden to hartford and replace him with volchenkov will make us a top 5 team in the east automatically with the king.

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote