HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalie question for 2010-2011

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2010, 02:16 PM
  #101
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Philly media has been floating Price's name recently.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:17 PM
  #102
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
They should just have walk in tryouts in the summer. Whoever lets the fewest in is the starter.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:20 PM
  #103
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
They should just have walk in tryouts in the summer. Whoever lets the fewest in is the starter.
Kinda like the Eagles did with Vince Papale.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:38 PM
  #104
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,945
vCash: 500
this has probably been mentioned, but what do you guys think of johnathan bernier? this kid, in my opinion, has the talent to be a legit starter. could we somehow swing a deal with the kings that sends hartnell their way?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 06:06 PM
  #105
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 106,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
this has probably been mentioned, but what do you guys think of johnathan bernier? this kid, in my opinion, has the talent to be a legit starter. could we somehow swing a deal with the kings that sends hartnell their way?
Kings Management want him to be there #2 and see what he has got before they decide which goalie to go forward with

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 06:20 PM
  #106
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Kings Management want him to be there #2 and see what he has got before they decide which goalie to go forward with
i figured that. but it's also no mystery that the kings love scott hartnell, they've apparently tried to bring him in a few times, so i wonder if they'd give up bernier in order to do that. I mean they wouldn't be taking that big a risk considering quick's potential.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 06:57 PM
  #107
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Philly media has been floating Price's name recently.
i'm for price being here. im not to sure of what the habs would what in return but that would be a step in the right direction. as long as we don't give him an 8 year long deal.

another thing he would have to change his number. he can't wear 31 in philly.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:18 PM
  #108
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
i figured that. but it's also no mystery that the kings love scott hartnell, they've apparently tried to bring him in a few times, so i wonder if they'd give up bernier in order to do that. I mean they wouldn't be taking that big a risk considering quick's potential.
Dean Lombardi seems to be pretty conservative when it comes to the cap. I don't see him giving up a potential franchise goalie for an overpaid forward.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:56 PM
  #109
King Fish
Registered User
 
King Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Where's ma pizza?
Posts: 994
vCash: 500
We are not going trade to get a top goalie like Vokoun because I doubt we will trade Carter or Richards. The only option is trading for a young goalie like Schneider or Bernier, yes the price will be high but that's the way it is. It will take a good young defenceman that has played in the NHL to get a good goalie prospect who has a year or two AHL experience. Bernier has a 2.09ga and .935% in 53 games.Schneider has a 2.62ga and .915 in 51 games. I think it would be worth it to trade a Coburn or Parent in order to get it done. I think Coburn has blown **** all year but has potential to return. Parent has been very good since returning from injury but injuries are the problem.

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:15 PM
  #110
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish View Post
We are not going trade to get a top goalie like Vokoun because I doubt we will trade Carter or Richards. The only option is trading for a young goalie like Schneider or Bernier, yes the price will be high but that's the way it is. It will take a good young defenceman that has played in the NHL to get a good goalie prospect who has a year or two AHL experience. Bernier has a 2.09ga and .935% in 53 games.Schneider has a 2.62ga and .915 in 51 games. I think it would be worth it to trade a Coburn or Parent in order to get it done. I think Coburn has blown **** all year but has potential to return. Parent has been very good since returning from injury but injuries are the problem.
It will more than likely be Schneider simply because this is his last year that he is waiver exempt. For that very reason, I think he'll probably be the guy the Flyers target simply because Vancouver won't want to lose him for nothing. The cost of Schneider will be much less than Bernier because of that. Bernier also has another year of waiver exemption before L.A. needs to do anything, so I don't think Dean and Ron are going to rush him.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:37 AM
  #111
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Flyers looked into Timmy Thomas at the deadline?

Link


if this is true Briere better be going the other way. Not Gagne or even Hartnell (yes, Hartell sucks).

Homer must pull Blake for Giggy type of trade.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:40 AM
  #112
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Flyers looked into Timmy Thomas at the deadline?

Link


if this is true Briere better be going the other way. Not Gagne or even Hartnell (yes, Hartell sucks).

Homer must pull Blake for Giggy type of trade.
Nah,Briere, a future #1 pick, and a top d prospect. God forbid shooter is on the relieving end of getting a pick back in a salary dump. Thomas would be par for the course. an overaged player on the down side of his career.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:10 PM
  #113
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 17,108
vCash: 500
Schneider has been just as good on a ****** team as he he was last year when he took his team to the finals. The kid has gotten better every year and is ready. I would love an Ellis/Schneider tandem , but would even be ok with a Schneider/Leighton combo. As I said during the deadline, he was on the local news pretty much begging to be traded and they speculated the Canucks wanted a young D man, (Parent/Coburn). IMO , we could of gotten him if we wanted.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:12 PM
  #114
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Schneider has been just as good on a ****** team as he he was last year when he took his team to the finals. The kid has gotten better every year and is ready. I would love an Ellis/Schneider tandem , but would even be ok with a Schneider/Leighton combo. As I said during the deadline, he was on the local news pretty much begging to be traded and they speculated the Canucks wanted a young D man, (Parent/Coburn). IMO , we could of gotten him if we wanted.
I have this feeling we end up with Ellis/Schneider this offseason.

Parent will be gone.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:22 PM
  #115
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 17,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I have this feeling we end up with Ellis/Schneider this offseason.

Parent will be gone.
What would you think of Schneider/Harding and Leighton ??????
Still too risky ???

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:25 PM
  #116
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I have this feeling we end up with Ellis/Schneider this offseason.

Parent will be gone.
What would the Canucks want in return for Schneider?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:26 PM
  #117
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
What would you think of Schneider/Harding and Leighton ??????
Still too risky ???
Too risky for a team attempting to win a Cup. You're going with a virtual unknown at the NHL level in Schneider and a goalie that has been below average at the NHL level his entire career except for a portion of this year. I'd rather see Ellis in Leighton's place.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:34 PM
  #118
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
I still think teams would be more interested in Coburn than Parent. (hopefully) Coburn is Pitkanen version 2.0 lets be honest here.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:39 PM
  #119
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
This team needs a huge shakeup. They have underachieved for 3 years now. Sometimes you need to trade players who are talented for other players not as talented to move forward. 2 or 3 of Richards, carter, hartnell, brier, and gagne need to go. They have traded away the minions and lesser players. I know it is against all religion to consider trading carter or Richards but they do need to consider it very strongly at this time. They also have to many role players on the bottom 2 lines who are really one dimensional. Trim some fat there as well. They need a proven goalie if they want to make a cup run in the next 2 years. Otherwise get a young guy and sink or swim, which they wont do.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:46 PM
  #120
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Flyers looked into Timmy Thomas at the deadline?

Link
This must be propaganda. As many people on the boards have been saying Holmgren never even tried to make one offer for a Goalie at or near the deadline.....

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:48 PM
  #121
Garneij
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
What would the Canucks want in return for Schneider?
Too much? I think they would be very interested in both Coburn and Parent, but I honestly believe they want more than that. I'm not all that thrilled with the idea of trading either of those for an unproven goalie, his stats this year is far from convincing.

I'd take him under the right circumstances. That means I want an Ellis type of guy who has shown he can play in this league and that Homer doesn't give away too much for a guy who hasn't been a top ten goalie in the AHL this year.

Garneij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:03 PM
  #122
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garneij View Post
Too much? I think they would be very interested in both Coburn and Parent, but I honestly believe they want more than that. I'm not all that thrilled with the idea of trading either of those for an unproven goalie, his stats this year is far from convincing.
The thing is, the Canucks are in no kind of position to ask an arm and a leg for Schneider. This is his last year of being waiver wire exempt and for that very reason, that lowers the Canucks negotiating power significantly. Could they bump up Schneider and use him in a back up role to Luongo? Of course. But what happens if Schneider decides that that's not ideal for him and he holds out? Vancouver is left holding the pot. A deal centered around Parent or Coburn would be in Vancouver's best interest.

As for Schneider's stats this year, he's outgrown the AHL and it's clear that he's no longer challenged and more important, he's bored. He should have either been a back up on a good team or a starter on a poor/rebuilding team this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garneij View Post
I'd take him under the right circumstances. That means I want an Ellis type of guy who has shown he can play in this league and that Homer doesn't give away too much for a guy who hasn't been a top ten goalie in the AHL this year.
Once again, Schenider wasn't a top 10 because he's outgrown the AHL. It happens to the best of players. Eventually, they get bored down there. I watched him last year in the AHL playoffs and Schneider was out of this world good. The guy is ready to make the jump.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:12 PM
  #123
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
I can never understand why Flyers fans want to trade young d-men so fast. If a d-men is not Norris trophy caliber (which is almost never the case in this town) he gets traded and 2-4 years later we say. Sidenberg is pretty good, Eaton is a good shot blocker while Pitkanen is playing like a #1 in playoffs.

I know, lets trade Downie for Carle or our 1st round pick for Eminger.

We did keep Jones around.

I am sure someone will bring Woiwitka(spelling?) or Delmore or some other failure just to prove me wrong. Can't wait.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:23 PM
  #124
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I can never understand why Flyers fans want to trade young d-men so fast. If a d-men is not Norris trophy caliber (which is almost never the case in this town) he gets traded and 2-4 years later we say. Sidenberg is pretty good, Eaton is a good shot blocker while Pitkanen is playing like a #1 in playoffs.
The problem is that with a guy like Coburn, what you see is what you get. He's been in the league now for over four seasons and for the past two, his play has steadily digressed. He's gone from a potential top pairing defenseman to a second pairing to now a bottom pairing defender. People can blame Stevens all they want, but fact is, Coburn has not been able to put it together. My reason for getting rid of him is that a guy like Krajicek came in here and has done what Coburn was supposed to do. How many times do you give a chance to prove himself when every chance he gets, he blows it? As for Parent, I'm willing to be a little more patient because of all the injuries. However, at some point, his health has to be a consideration in terms of whether he can be a prominent player here or not. I still blame a lot of Parent's health issues on the Flyers inadequate medical staff and how they handle things.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I know, lets trade Downie for Carle or our 1st round pick for Eminger.
Matt Carle has been excellent. I have no problems with him at all. The Eminger move really bugged me because he was starting to get it when he got moved. If Holmgren wouldn't have panicked and started making trades for the sake of making trades, Eminger might have turned out to be a good bottom pairing guy.

If you want to blame Holmgren for something, blame him for dealing a bunch of assets for Pronger when we were more than a Chris Pronger away from competing for a Stanley Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
We did keep Jones around.
Another move that Holmgren should have been fired for. Let's all give someone a bloated contract because they didn't want to go to arbitration with the player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I am sure someone will bring Woiwitka(spelling?) or Delmore or some other failure just to prove me wrong. Can't wait.
Woywitka was handled incorrectly by the organization (gee, isn't that a telling sign). As for Delmore, great offensively, but absolutely no D. He was nothing more than a Mike Green during the clutch and grab era.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:24 PM
  #125
Garneij
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The thing is, the Canucks are in no kind of position to ask an arm and a leg for Schneider. This is his last year of being waiver wire exempt and for that very reason, that lowers the Canucks negotiating power significantly. Could they bump up Schneider and use him in a back up role to Luongo? Of course. But what happens if Schneider decides that that's not ideal for him and he holds out? Vancouver is left holding the pot. A deal centered around Parent or Coburn would be in Vancouver's best interest.

As for Schneider's stats this year, he's outgrown the AHL and it's clear that he's no longer challenged and more important, he's bored. He should have either been a back up on a good team or a starter on a poor/rebuilding team this year.



Once again, Schenider wasn't a top 10 because he's outgrown the AHL. It happens to the best of players. Eventually, they get bored down there. I watched him last year in the AHL playoffs and Schneider was out of this world good. The guy is ready to make the jump.
I can't disagree since I've not seen him play enough. He can be a future star, for sure, but then again he is not there yet.

If you look at the flyers going forward, is this the time to take a project like Schneider and to cross every finger we got that he is the guy? I'm all in for that if Homer makes it clear that this roster will go for the cup in the foreseeable future with a core of Richards, Carter, JvR and roooooux. The thing is that guys like Timonen, Pronger, Briere, Hartnell and Gagne either have bad contracts or that they are seeing the end of the tunnel. With these guys Homer now has a team that will not enable him to do major shake-ups. he made it clear want he wants this team to do when he got Pronger, to win the cup in the next couple of years. So if you look at this from his perspective, I'm not sure if he will pursue Schneider unless he is 100% sure he will give this team that opportunity. Is he willing to throw young guys back to the Nuck's for him?

Garneij is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.