HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NAS v STL Mar. 21 2010

Old
03-21-2010, 08:48 PM
MissouriBlues2008

vCash: 500
This is one reason I like the Blues and Cardinals. When one ends their season, the other is just beginning theirs.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 08:49 PM
MissouriBlues2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergMan View Post
"maybe next year"

Old
03-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Unbennett

was at the game after nashville scored to tie it up you could just feel that the game was not going to get to overtime the d was disgusting in the 3rd

Unbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:44 PM
MissouriBlues2008

Looked like the air was just let out of the building, based on the looks on the fans' faces.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:02 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Beware the Wrath
Of a Gentle Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I don't think The Blues can wait for Berglund, Eller, Perron or Oshie to become that player. Not sure if they can wait for E.J., Pietrangelo and Cole to mature, before shoring up their defence with a veteran quality addition. Not sure they can go far into the playoffs with their current goaltending tandem.

This offseason will be very, very important to the Blues' next five years.
I don't see any reason why the Blues can't wait for all those players to develop while solidifying their status as a playoff competitor for next year. This team is good enough to make the playoffs as they are. It didn't pan out this year, but it's not because they weren't talented enough to do it. Simply playing less defensively in the third period with the lead for the year might have been enough. Next year, with some coaching adjustments and with another year of development under the belts of all the youngsters, they should expect to be making the playoffs even without significant additions.

Toss in the fact that they have much more cap room heading into the offseason than most teams, and that there are several possible paths that they might take to solidify/upgrade the team, and the Blues should be in great shape for the next five years.

They can significantly upgrade (or equivalently replace) Kariya with multiple intriguing FA options [Kovalchuk, Frolov, etc.]. They can significantly upgrade (or equivalently replace) Colaiacovo and/or Sydor with multiple intriguing FA options [Martin, Volchenkov, Hamhuis, etc.]. Each one of those players would come at a different cost, and expect a different committment in terms of years, but any of them would be an excellent core addition to the team that could fit in as a long term contributor without breaking the bank (Kovalchuk excepting, of course).

Pietrangelo/Eller/Junland/Cole may all be ready to play roles (some obviously more significant than others) at one point or another over the course of the year...so it's not like the farm system is barren of potential help.

I honestly have no idea what the Blues plan to do with their goaltending, but I personally would be happy if they simply resigned Mason for a year or two (while upgrading the team elsewhere) until they have a better grasp on what to expect from Allen down the road.

I'm disappointed right now, but I think the future is really bright for the Blues. Make one or two smart acquisitions this offseason to complement the pieces already in place and I think the Blues will be in great shape for years.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I don't see any reason why the Blues can't wait for all those players to develop while solidifying their status as a playoff competitor for next year. This team is good enough to make the playoffs as they are. It didn't pan out this year, but it's not because they weren't talented enough to do it. Simply playing less defensively in the third period with the lead for the year might have been enough. Next year, with some coaching adjustments and with another year of development under the belts of all the youngsters, they should expect to be making the playoffs even without significant additions.

Toss in the fact that they have much more cap room heading into the offseason than most teams, and that there are several possible paths that they might take to solidify/upgrade the team, and the Blues should be in great shape for the next five years.

They can significantly upgrade (or equivalently replace) Kariya with multiple intriguing FA options [Kovalchuk, Frolov, etc.]. They can significantly upgrade (or equivalently replace) Colaiacovo and/or Sydor with multiple intriguing FA options [Martin, Volchenkov, Hamhuis, etc.]. Each one of those players would come at a different cost, and expect a different committment in terms of years, but any of them would be an excellent core addition to the team that could fit in as a long term contributor without breaking the bank (Kovalchuk excepting, of course).

Pietrangelo/Eller/Junland/Cole may all be ready to play roles (some obviously more significant than others) at one point or another over the course of the year...so it's not like the farm system is barren of potential help.

I honestly have no idea what the Blues plan to do with their goaltending, but I personally would be happy if they simply resigned Mason for a year or two (while upgrading the team elsewhere) until they have a better grasp on what to expect from Allen down the road.

I'm disappointed right now, but I think the future is really bright for the Blues. Make one or two smart acquisitions this offseason to complement the pieces already in place and I think the Blues will be in great shape for years.
Those types of additions are what I am saying they have to do (unlike last season's almost "status quo" minimum of changes, adding only Sydor and Conklin).

I'd rather have an upgrade for Mason, and/or the picking up of a future #1 goaltender, than pay $4.5 million (or more) for the inconsistent Mason.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:20 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Those types of additions are what I am saying they have to do (unlike last season's almost "status quo" minimum of changes, adding only Sydor and Conklin).

I'd rather have an upgrade for Mason, and/or the picking up of a future #1 goaltender, than pay $4.5 million (or more) for the inconsistent Mason.
Yeah if Mason was anywhere near his high year from last season, don't worry he'll have another up year for the next one, we'd have seen a completely different position in the standings at this point. We gave up so many games with huge leads that every bad excuse in the world doesn't make up for whatever soft goals get through.

Conklin has won more games for his team rather than behind it this time around, and that would only be a good thing if Mason could handle pressure on losing his #1 status without it showing on the ice.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:22 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
What a downer. I realize they aren't mathematically eliminated yet...but they may as well be.

I hope sitting home watching playoff hockey motivates these guys to play with a little more urgency for a whole season one of these times. We've seen for several stretches at a time that the Blues can play at a high level. They just don't do it as a regular habit.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:02 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Hey guys, Nashville fan here. We drove up (and back...) for the game yesterday, so it was really nice to see a win. But I came in here to commend your fans on being so nice to us while we were there. I didn't deal with any real jerks, only a few people playfully messing with us. Everyone else was very friendly, I was pleasantly surprised, so thank you.

Also, I gotta tell you that you guys are getting boned with those $1 programs! In Nashville, we get a full sized, 8-10 page color program with stats, articles, pictures, questionnaires with the players, interviews, etc. for free at all the games. And we usually take more than one because there are tons left over at the end of the games. I guess we are very lucky!

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:05 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Hey guys, Nashville fan here. We drove up (and back...) for the game yesterday, so it was really nice to see a win. But I came in here to commend your fans on being so nice to us while we were there. I didn't deal with any real jerks, only a few people playfully messing with us. Everyone else was very friendly, I was pleasantly surprised, so thank you.

Also, I gotta tell you that you guys are getting boned with those $1 programs! In Nashville, we get a full sized, 8-10 page color program with stats, articles, pictures, questionnaires with the players, interviews, etc. for free at all the games. And we usually take more than one because there are tons left over at the end of the games. I guess we are very lucky!
Glad to hear your experience was pleasant. Some of us on these boards are pretty big Preds fans, like me. Tattoo can go find his plane and take off, otherwise I dig the Preds.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:39 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
Well I think that pretty much ends the Blues' season, it's going to be tough to come back now. It was tough with this win, almost impossible without it.
Our Blues are done like dinner after ths one. Maybe we can play spoiler and keep the Wings or the Preds on the outs

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:40 PM
c-carp

Quote:

Glad you enjoyed your trip. I have been to your barn twice to watch games and really enjoyed Nashville as well.

Old
03-22-2010, 07:42 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriBlues2008 View Post
This is one reason I like the Blues and Cardinals. When one ends their season, the other is just beginning theirs.
You are a lucky man. I hate baseball myself so when the hockey playoffs get over its fishing season for me untill the NFL and NHL start again.

Old
03-22-2010, 10:13 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp View Post
You are a lucky man. I hate baseball myself so when the hockey playoffs get over its fishing season for me untill the NFL and NHL start again.
I hate baseball too, but theirs not much better then going to a baseball game on a nice Saturday afternoon. Although I've only seen the Blue Jays play at home so I haven't really had the luxury of having much of an atmosphere, it's still pretty nice.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Unbennett

Quote:

I was sitting near a big group of you guys you at the game you guys had me cracking up very passionate fans

Unbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:26 PM
MissouriBlues2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
I hate baseball too, but theirs not much better then going to a baseball game on a nice Saturday afternoon. Although I've only seen the Blue Jays play at home so I haven't really had the luxury of having much of an atmosphere, it's still pretty nice.
Honestly baseball's probably my number one sport.

1. Cardinals
2. Blues
3. Rams

But one and two are pretty close, and I rarely have to choose between them because they don't often overlap.

Going to a baseball game is a unique experience. You're outdoors and everything. Although, sometimes you have a breeze and you're sitting in a shadow, other times you're sitting in the blistering sun. As far as climate control, hockey is the better game to watch. Hockey, being inside, does not have that. If you're not used to either sport, though, baseball is probably easier to keep up with because you know who is on offense and defense and who is on base, etc. Baseball is also a game that almost anybody can play recreationally. Hockey is difficult to play recreationally in non-traditional markets.

Old
03-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Overkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriBlues2008 View Post
Honestly baseball's probably my number one sport.

1. Cardinals
2. Blues
3. Rams

But one and two are pretty close, and I rarely have to choose between them because they don't often overlap.

Going to a baseball game is a unique experience. You're outdoors and everything. Although, sometimes you have a breeze and you're sitting in a shadow, other times you're sitting in the blistering sun. As far as climate control, hockey is the better game to watch. Hockey, being inside, does not have that. If you're not used to either sport, though, baseball is probably easier to keep up with because you know who is on offense and defense and who is on base, etc. Baseball is also a game that almost anybody can play recreationally. Hockey is difficult to play recreationally in non-traditional markets.
This=me

Except I would flip the Rams into the Chiefs.

As for the game, the only thing that bothers me about Nashville fans is that some people bring those stupid cow bells. I hate them and I think it doesn't do them any favors. This isn't bantam or high school hockey and it says, "I'm a hoosier"

But for the most part they are fun people and great to be around and usually enjoy their company.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote