HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Meals & Snacks (pregame)

Old
03-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Crossbar Ping

vCash: 500
Meals & Snacks (pregame)

What kind of snacks and meals do you like to enjoy on a game day to promote good health and stamina? For example, i heard beef jerky is good but someone told me the sodium makes it just terrible

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Socastee09

well maybe the sodium in low quantities might be good considering your body is sweating most of it out, hence why we drink powerade, gatorade, etc. but i usually eat some sort of pasta for dinner if i have time, if not i eat beef jerky, a protein bar, or just something with carbs, and protein if i can get it. and good ole gatorade!

Socastee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Patchey*

Haha, I had a ref that overheard my friend and I talking about beef jerky while the rink guy was fixing the glass at a game, and he told us he makes it at home. The next intermission he brought us some, it was delicious.
I like to get in some fruit before a game, but chedder sun chips make a good pre-game snack if you are feeling a bit hungry close to gametime.

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post
What kind of snacks and meals do you like to enjoy on a game day to promote good health and stamina? For example, i heard beef jerky is good but someone told me the sodium makes it just terrible
Well in high school a lot of our sports teams do pasta parties. Before games/meets they all go to one person's house and bring pasta to eat.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Generally speaking, your body's active fuel source is what you ate anywhere from 24-72 prior to a game.

My primary focus was on not losing a bunch of fluid by puking if I went too hard for too long. One of my dad's old friends was a Navy boiler room operator during WWII, where the temperatures could hit over 150 degrees and a guy could sweat out 5-10% of his body weight in an eight- or ten-hour shift. I asked him how they did it day after day, and he said that they would chug at least three quarts of water before starting their shift....the water would also have a bunch of oatmeal mixed into it so that the body wouldn't reject it.

So before any type of hard exercise, I always had either dry oatmeal with water on the side or prepared oatmeal anywhere from one to three hours beforehand. I never once got sick from exertion after that. Peter Forsberg used to do the same thing, although I don't know if his was superstition or if it was based on the same reasoning.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Socastee09

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonking View Post
Well in high school a lot of our sports teams do pasta parties. Before games/meets they all go to one person's house and bring pasta to eat.
Im in my senior year of high school and when football was going on we would gather at a persons house that was a senior and usually eat pasta or any type of spaghetti and boy was it good, but as well as the energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Generally speaking, your body's active fuel source is what you ate anywhere from 24-72 prior to a game.

My primary focus was on not losing a bunch of fluid by puking if I went too hard for too long. One of my dad's old friends was a Navy boiler room operator during WWII, where the temperatures could hit over 150 degrees and a guy could sweat out 5-10% of his body weight in an eight- or ten-hour shift. I asked him how they did it day after day, and he said that they would chug at least three quarts of water before starting their shift....the water would also have a bunch of oatmeal mixed into it so that the body wouldn't reject it.

So before any type of hard exercise, I always had either dry oatmeal with water on the side or prepared oatmeal anywhere from one to three hours beforehand. I never once got sick from exertion after that. Peter Forsberg used to do the same thing, although I don't know if his was superstition or if it was based on the same reasoning.
so i have a question, i have a game on thursday around 8 pm, how would you go about doing the oatmeal? could i mix it with water and just drink it? or is it better to actually make the oatmeal?

Socastee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:50 PM
blueberrydanish

I honestly cant eat a meal 3 hours before a game or so because Ill start to taste it if ya know what I mean, but I do snack usually its a banana or some fruit. Stomach can be pansyish at times so definitely no greasy stuff.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Hockeyfan68

I eat light and over an hour before leaving the house to go play. I dislike junk sloshing around while playing hockey. To this day i could never understand why guys would drink 2 or 3 beers before playing in the lockeroom.

Disgusting.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:05 PM
AIREAYE

Lamb/mutton beacuse lamb (sheep) in Cantonese sounds like 'Win' or 'Victory'

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:17 PM
meanolthing

I used to eat a small baggy of Chex Mix before games. Any other food always gave me cramps.

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:46 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Bland food no later than 3 hours before the game/practice: penne pasta, broccoli, and small pieces of white meat chicken chunks with minimal butter/oil, in a small but sufficient portion. Fluid consumed with above meal is 16 oz. of room temperature water.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Lamb/mutton beacuse lamb (sheep) in Cantonese sounds like 'Win' or 'Victory'
I've played all my games so far at 9:45 or 10:15pm, so I really didn't take much into what I ate for dinner. Would eat something light, then have a protein bar or shake an hour before the game.

Last night I had a 7:30 game, and at a light lamb dinner at a middle eastern restaurant.

It's a good thing it tasted good, because I got to re-taste it before the 3rd period.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:00 PM
HowToHockey

You would probably want to have some carbs and natural sugars as complex carbs and glucose provide fuel for your muscles. The highest carb count in fruit is dates I think, so if you are looking to load up on carbs try those (I can only stand to eat one or two)

Here is a link to the health benefits of dates

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:41 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
I used to really get strict about what I ate the day of (pasta, chicken, no bread, etc), but these days as long as it's not heavy or too greasy I'll eat it.

Even cheeseburgers (no fries or cola though) seem to be quite agreeable. There's probably a few nutrional people out there giving this a dirty look.

Water and juice before, water and watered down gatoraid/poweraide during. Milk is alright as long as it's 3+ hours before and had time to settle.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Breakfast - whatever, usually milk and protein powder or cereal and milk
Lunch - sandwich and fruit or pasta salad with chicken (some carbs and veggies)

If it's an evening game, I eat a very light dinner, something with a bit of carbs and protein and low in fat. If it's later on, I'll eat a bigger dinner, same kind of thing.

Right before I leave for the rink, I have a half slice of bread with a bit of peanut butter and honey. I find if I don't have something in my stomach, I get hungry and tired. Too much though and I'll feel sluggish and hot.

I try and drink plenty of water on game days. Usually I'll have some diet soda if I'm feeling tired (not more than a can) and sip water or gatorade on the way to the game. No milk before games...makes me feel like it's sloshing around.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

4-5 Hours before my game i'll have a bowl of Pasta, no sauce.
2-3 Hours before my game i'll have a small bowl of brown rice.
Lots of water throughout the day.

Lots of Complex Carbs (not the crap kind) that give you a lot of energy without filling you up.

I might have a small fruit bar then on my way to the game so I don't feel hungry.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:23 AM
Pedagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Bland food no later than 3 hours before the game/practice: penne pasta, broccoli, and small pieces of white meat chicken chunks with minimal butter/oil, in a small but sufficient portion. Fluid consumed with above meal is 16 oz. of room temperature water.
It's interesting that you say bland food. I've found that any food that I eat before a game that's spicy is bad for me as i feel weighed down and awful. It would be interesting if anyone could explain why spicy foods before a game has a negative impact on some people.Furthermore, how many hours before the game should you drink water to ensure that you are hydrated come game time?

Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:11 AM
rinkrat22

I just eat a cliff bar in the locker room before the game. I drink a gatorade or 2 at home before I leave. Thats about it. Cliff Bars are awsome.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:22 AM
MNWild9

during the day i drink three powerades.
but for a meal an hour before the game i eat two powerbars and drink one muscle milk. i feel amazing the whole game.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You want to drink a lot of water throughout the day on game day to make sure you're hydrated. If you're a desk jockey like me, just fill up a water bottle a couple times, should be enough.

Old
03-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Ozolinsh_27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedagogue View Post
It's interesting that you say bland food. I've found that any food that I eat before a game that's spicy is bad for me as i feel weighed down and awful. It would be interesting if anyone could explain why spicy foods before a game has a negative impact on some people.Furthermore, how many hours before the game should you drink water to ensure that you are hydrated come game time?
If the spicy food is high in sodium that is probably why you'd feel weighed down.

I think within maybe 2-8 hour window before game is probably the ideal time to start hydrating? I'd say closer to actual game time but think you might urinate too much and lose some water? With the two hour window, it gives you time to do that and have your body settle out the hydration. Thats just a thought though, not fact.

As for post game, chocolate milk and banana seems to be a great post game recovery snack

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...on-heaven.html

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolinsh_27 View Post
If the spicy food is high in sodium that is probably why you'd feel weighed down.

I think within maybe 2-8 hour window before game is probably the ideal time to start hydrating? I'd say closer to actual game time but think you might urinate too much and lose some water? With the two hour window, it gives you time to do that and have your body settle out the hydration. Thats just a thought though, not fact.

As for post game, chocolate milk and banana seems to be a great post game recovery snack

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...on-heaven.html
That sounds like a good blended drink after a game too, blender some banana and some chocolate milk. I eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches currently. maybe this would be better with your suggestion.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah post-game it's usually peanut butter and honey sandwich with milk, sometimes a little juice and fizzy water as well.

Old
03-23-2010, 03:19 PM
OilerNut*

Eat a couple big macs about 1-2 hours before you play.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Worst thing I ever ate was a couple tuna fish sandwiches a few hours before a game...ugh.