HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Homer - Please add a few European forwards into the mix

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2010, 01:57 PM
  #26
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Supposedly we got MA Bourdon because nobody else felt like going all the way up to Rouyn to scout him.
I'm pretty sure that was a rumor started here. Even if scouts didn't want to go all the way there they could easily see him in half the games he played in since they were road games. People here made that up because he seemed like a steal because of the offensive numbers he put up but just like the scouts that apparently didnt want to go all the way up to see him, nobody here knew how bad his skating and defense was. Now all you have to do is go to a Phantoms game to witness that first hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:16 PM
  #27
kammy
Registered User
 
kammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The Flyers were the first NHL team to draft a Russian player, Fred Shero utilized Soviet hockey techniques in his coaching style which led to the first Cup win and there was the situation involving the Stastnys which has been well-documented and eventually involved legal action because the Flyers were committed to bringing them to Philadelphia through defections (the Flyers drafted Anton but an error occured because of his age).

Names like Sinisalo, Lindbergh and Eklund were key parts of the 80s/Keenan teams. Renberg was part of the team's most famous line since Leach-Clarke-Barber. The Flyers had a formula of drafting Canadians, Ontario and western guys particularly at one point and it worked. There wasn't much US drafting either. Even US-born Holmgren, the drafted player, joined the squad, only because his WHA team in Minnesota flopped financially.

The Flyers also employed Inge Hammarstrom for close to 20 years as mainly a Euro scout until the last year or so.. He was one of the few supporters and certainly the most vocal in the drafting of Peter Forsberg and remained in that corner during the trade negotiations. There were misses, too, along the way like when the Flyers drafted Alexander Drozdetsky and Hammarstrom said "not only is this a home run, but he's the next Igor Larionov." Sinisalo now has important scouting duties.

In recent years, guys like Sbisa, Bodrov and Bartulis have been high picks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Aw, c'mon, why ruin a nice rant with facts and stuff?
no but seriously.. weve had euros, nut no ruskis

i think i can count the # of russian flyers on my toes.. lets see.. 'tenko, danny markov, zubrus, that guy who had a boating accident, zhitnik, and my favorite.. dimitri yushkevich !!!!! wow ok, that makes 6, b i swear i dont have 6 toes!!!

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:34 PM
  #28
CTU2fan
Registered User
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
The disappointing thing to me is with a cap now in place and them raking money hand over fist even more so, they should have some of the top scouts and a top scouting dept in the league. Not sure they do. They should be able to go to areas other teams wont spend to go to. Maybe they do and we just donít know it. Doesnít seem like it.
This is a good point. It would be much easier if it was like baseball where you could sign all the international guys you want without them being subject to the draft, but in the NHL you could do all sort of work scouting a guy only to have another team get word of him and trump you on draft day. But they really ought to be exploring ways to gain an advantage, not only in scouting but in training and medical (haha, yeah I know) as well.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
  #29
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,804
vCash: 2253
Quote:
Originally Posted by kammy View Post
no but seriously.. weve had euros, nut no ruskis

i think i can count the # of russian flyers on my toes.. lets see.. 'tenko, danny markov, zubrus, that guy who had a boating accident, zhitnik, and my favorite.. dimitri yushkevich !!!!! wow ok, that makes 6, b i swear i dont have 6 toes!!!
Don't forget Bootsie.

Vyatcheslav Butsayev.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
  #30
kammy
Registered User
 
kammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Don't forget Bootsie.

Vyatcheslav Butsayev.

never heard of him, so he must not have ever existed. dimitri yushkevich is still the best

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:53 PM
  #31
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I have a hard time believing that as he played in juniors, not some obscure league somewhere. Teams may not have scouted him heavily but they could have very easily.
You think potential NHL players are playing in obscure leagues that teams don't know about in this day and age?

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
  #32
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,804
vCash: 2253
Quote:
Originally Posted by kammy View Post
never heard of him, so he must not have ever existed. dimitri yushkevich is still the best
Big time slacker, however, he got a hat trick once.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...butsavi01.html

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:01 PM
  #33
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kammy View Post
no but seriously.. weve had euros, nut no ruskis

i think i can count the # of russian flyers on my toes.. lets see.. 'tenko, danny markov, zubrus, that guy who had a boating accident, zhitnik, and my favorite.. dimitri yushkevich !!!!! wow ok, that makes 6, b i swear i dont have 6 toes!!!
Andrei Lomakin too.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:05 PM
  #34
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,804
vCash: 2253
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Andrei Lomakin too.
Miroslav Dvorak was part of the mid-80s teams, too. Both passed away.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:07 PM
  #35
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Miroslav Dvorak was part of the mid-80s teams, too. Both passed away.
Really? I had no idea. That's way too young to go.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:10 PM
  #36
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
You think potential NHL players are playing in obscure leagues that teams don't know about in this day and age?
sure there are players out there scouts dont know about or dont give much time too, absolutley. I mean the flyers claim they never heard of the monster right? Your missing my point though.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:12 PM
  #37
UseYourAllusion
Registered User
 
UseYourAllusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 6,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
You think potential NHL players are playing in obscure leagues that teams don't know about in this day and age?
Well they still haven't found me standing in sneakers, shooting at the goal in my driveway, so scouting isn't universal.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:31 PM
  #38
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kammy View Post
never heard of him, so he must not have ever existed. dimitri yushkevich is still the best
he kissed Brind'Amour back in the 90's on the lips after a goal, made it on the highlites

Tommy Soderstrom

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:39 PM
  #39
Shadeslayer813
Registered User
 
Shadeslayer813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Drum
Country: United States
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
sure there are players out there scouts dont know about or dont give much time too, absolutley. I mean the flyers claim they never heard of the monster right? Your missing my point though.
I thought it was the they heard of the monster but thought that Backlund was a better find

Shadeslayer813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:49 PM
  #40
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Well they still haven't found me standing in sneakers, shooting at the goal in my driveway, so scouting isn't universal.
No, they just counted the dents in your garage door and realized you can't hit the net!

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 05:00 PM
  #41
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 6,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I'm pretty sure that was a rumor started here. Even if scouts didn't want to go all the way there they could easily see him in half the games he played in since they were road games. People here made that up because he seemed like a steal because of the offensive numbers he put up but just like the scouts that apparently didnt want to go all the way up to see him, nobody here knew how bad his skating and defense was. Now all you have to do is go to a Phantoms game to witness that first hand.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with you are saying, but it wasn't made up by people here. He was ranked last in the mid-term CSB rankings during his draft year. His coach and agent explained told him that his ranking was because scouts didn't get to see him play because Rouyn was a difficult location. But obviously scouts got an opportunity to see him play. Redline wasn't too impressed with him in their draft guide and made note on his skating and defense.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 05:40 PM
  #42
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
sure there are players out there scouts dont know about or dont give much time too, absolutley. I mean the flyers claim they never heard of the monster right? Your missing my point though.
If you think I'm missing your point, maybe you should make it again? It's hard to make a point without saying what it is.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 06:28 PM
  #43
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
If you think I'm missing your point, maybe you should make it again? It's hard to make a point without saying what it is.
not all teams spend a lot of money on scouting. not all teams will send scouts on round th world trips. the flyers should. whether they do or dont i dont know but it sure seems like they dont. they have the rescources to have the best,but do they?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:37 PM
  #44
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kammy View Post
no but seriously.. weve had euros, nut no ruskis

i think i can count the # of russian flyers on my toes.. lets see.. 'tenko, danny markov, zubrus, that guy who had a boating accident, zhitnik, and my favorite.. dimitri yushkevich !!!!! wow ok, that makes 6, b i swear i dont have 6 toes!!!
Dont forget Zelepukin, Malakhov, Zhamnov as I mentioned before.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:46 PM
  #45
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,606
vCash: 500
Seidenberg

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:46 AM
  #46
kammy
Registered User
 
kammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
he kissed Brind'Amour back in the 90's on the lips after a goal, made it on the highlites

Tommy Soderstrom

i dont believe this, i want proof

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:48 AM
  #47
856
Moderator
Amaro out
 
856's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 34,836
vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Let's add a new GM first, preferably one who understands cap and asset management, and then we can worry about adding "european" fowards to the mix.
So someone like Joe Banner?

856 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:56 AM
  #48
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
If we don't have quality scouts in Europe then we shouldn't be wasting draft picks (which we don't have anyway) on what would be a huge gamble.

That being said, if we don't have quality scouts in Europe then, what the ****...

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:04 PM
  #49
sa cyred
Offseason...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: Cuba
Posts: 16,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I'm pretty sure that was a rumor started here. Even if scouts didn't want to go all the way there they could easily see him in half the games he played in since they were road games. People here made that up because he seemed like a steal because of the offensive numbers he put up but just like the scouts that apparently didnt want to go all the way up to see him, nobody here knew how bad his skating and defense was. Now all you have to do is go to a Phantoms game to witness that first hand.
Posted via Mobile Device
It was actually the scouts who said it, not us.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:14 PM
  #50
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
We need to stop wasting picks on the Klotz and Rinaldo type players and go for some boom or bust late bloomer europeans

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.