HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Homer - Please add a few European forwards into the mix

Old
03-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Supposedly we got MA Bourdon because nobody else felt like going all the way up to Rouyn to scout him.
I'm pretty sure that was a rumor started here. Even if scouts didn't want to go all the way there they could easily see him in half the games he played in since they were road games. People here made that up because he seemed like a steal because of the offensive numbers he put up but just like the scouts that apparently didnt want to go all the way up to see him, nobody here knew how bad his skating and defense was. Now all you have to do is go to a Phantoms game to witness that first hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:16 PM
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The Flyers were the first NHL team to draft a Russian player, Fred Shero utilized Soviet hockey techniques in his coaching style which led to the first Cup win and there was the situation involving the Stastnys which has been well-documented and eventually involved legal action because the Flyers were committed to bringing them to Philadelphia through defections (the Flyers drafted Anton but an error occured because of his age).

Names like Sinisalo, Lindbergh and Eklund were key parts of the 80s/Keenan teams. Renberg was part of the team's most famous line since Leach-Clarke-Barber. The Flyers had a formula of drafting Canadians, Ontario and western guys particularly at one point and it worked. There wasn't much US drafting either. Even US-born Holmgren, the drafted player, joined the squad, only because his WHA team in Minnesota flopped financially.

The Flyers also employed Inge Hammarstrom for close to 20 years as mainly a Euro scout until the last year or so.. He was one of the few supporters and certainly the most vocal in the drafting of Peter Forsberg and remained in that corner during the trade negotiations. There were misses, too, along the way like when the Flyers drafted Alexander Drozdetsky and Hammarstrom said "not only is this a home run, but he's the next Igor Larionov." Sinisalo now has important scouting duties.

In recent years, guys like Sbisa, Bodrov and Bartulis have been high picks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Aw, c'mon, why ruin a nice rant with facts and stuff?
no but seriously.. weve had euros, nut no ruskis

i think i can count the # of russian flyers on my toes.. lets see.. 'tenko, danny markov, zubrus, that guy who had a boating accident, zhitnik, and my favorite.. dimitri yushkevich !!!!! wow ok, that makes 6, b i swear i dont have 6 toes!!!

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:34 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
The disappointing thing to me is with a cap now in place and them raking money hand over fist even more so, they should have some of the top scouts and a top scouting dept in the league. Not sure they do. They should be able to go to areas other teams wont spend to go to. Maybe they do and we just donít know it. Doesnít seem like it.
This is a good point. It would be much easier if it was like baseball where you could sign all the international guys you want without them being subject to the draft, but in the NHL you could do all sort of work scouting a guy only to have another team get word of him and trump you on draft day. But they really ought to be exploring ways to gain an advantage, not only in scouting but in training and medical (haha, yeah I know) as well.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2253
Quote:
Originally Posted by kammy View Post

i think i can count the # of russian flyers on my toes.. lets see.. 'tenko, danny markov, zubrus, that guy who had a boating accident, zhitnik, and my favorite.. dimitri yushkevich !!!!! wow ok, that makes 6, b i swear i dont have 6 toes!!!
Don't forget Bootsie.

Vyatcheslav Butsayev.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
kammy

Quote:
Don't forget Bootsie.

Vyatcheslav Butsayev.

never heard of him, so he must not have ever existed. dimitri yushkevich is still the best

Old
03-23-2010, 03:53 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
I have a hard time believing that as he played in juniors, not some obscure league somewhere. Teams may not have scouted him heavily but they could have very easily.
You think potential NHL players are playing in obscure leagues that teams don't know about in this day and age?

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
never heard of him, so he must not have ever existed. dimitri yushkevich is still the best
Big time slacker, however, he got a hat trick once.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...butsavi01.html

Old
03-23-2010, 04:01 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:

Andrei Lomakin too.

Old
03-23-2010, 04:05 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Andrei Lomakin too.
Miroslav Dvorak was part of the mid-80s teams, too. Both passed away.

Old
03-23-2010, 04:07 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Miroslav Dvorak was part of the mid-80s teams, too. Both passed away.
Really? I had no idea. That's way too young to go.

Old
03-23-2010, 04:10 PM
jb**

Quote:
You think potential NHL players are playing in obscure leagues that teams don't know about in this day and age?
sure there are players out there scouts dont know about or dont give much time too, absolutley. I mean the flyers claim they never heard of the monster right? Your missing my point though.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:12 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Well they still haven't found me standing in sneakers, shooting at the goal in my driveway, so scouting isn't universal.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:31 PM
RoDu

Quote:
he kissed Brind'Amour back in the 90's on the lips after a goal, made it on the highlites

Tommy Soderstrom

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Shadeslayer813

Quote:
sure there are players out there scouts dont know about or dont give much time too, absolutley. I mean the flyers claim they never heard of the monster right? Your missing my point though.
I thought it was the they heard of the monster but thought that Backlund was a better find

Shadeslayer813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Well they still haven't found me standing in sneakers, shooting at the goal in my driveway, so scouting isn't universal.
No, they just counted the dents in your garage door and realized you can't hit the net!

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I'm pretty sure that was a rumor started here. Even if scouts didn't want to go all the way there they could easily see him in half the games he played in since they were road games. People here made that up because he seemed like a steal because of the offensive numbers he put up but just like the scouts that apparently didnt want to go all the way up to see him, nobody here knew how bad his skating and defense was. Now all you have to do is go to a Phantoms game to witness that first hand.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with you are saying, but it wasn't made up by people here. He was ranked last in the mid-term CSB rankings during his draft year. His coach and agent explained told him that his ranking was because scouts didn't get to see him play because Rouyn was a difficult location. But obviously scouts got an opportunity to see him play. Redline wasn't too impressed with him in their draft guide and made note on his skating and defense.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 05:40 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
If you think I'm missing your point, maybe you should make it again? It's hard to make a point without saying what it is.

Old
03-23-2010, 06:28 PM
jb**

Quote:
If you think I'm missing your point, maybe you should make it again? It's hard to make a point without saying what it is.
not all teams spend a lot of money on scouting. not all teams will send scouts on round th world trips. the flyers should. whether they do or dont i dont know but it sure seems like they dont. they have the rescources to have the best,but do they?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:37 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:

Dont forget Zelepukin, Malakhov, Zhamnov as I mentioned before.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:46 PM
RoDu

Seidenberg

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:46 AM
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
he kissed Brind'Amour back in the 90's on the lips after a goal, made it on the highlites

Tommy Soderstrom

i dont believe this, i want proof

Old
03-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Let's add a new GM first, preferably one who understands cap and asset management, and then we can worry about adding "european" fowards to the mix.
So someone like Joe Banner?

856 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
If we don't have quality scouts in Europe then we shouldn't be wasting draft picks (which we don't have anyway) on what would be a huge gamble.

That being said, if we don't have quality scouts in Europe then, what the ****...

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:04 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
It was actually the scouts who said it, not us.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:14 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
We need to stop wasting picks on the Klotz and Rinaldo type players and go for some boom or bust late bloomer europeans

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote