HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Meals & Snacks (pregame)

Old
03-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Pog Form

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Worst thing I ever ate was a couple tuna fish sandwiches a few hours before a game...ugh.
Lol man, I ate a couple of homemade tuna melts last night maybe 3 hours before playing pick-up. Needless to say, I was tasting them the whole skate.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 05:12 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I eat light and over an hour before leaving the house to go play. I dislike junk sloshing around while playing hockey. To this day i could never understand why guys would drink 2 or 3 beers before playing in the lockeroom.

Disgusting.
A couple seasons ago I tried one beer before a game. Felt like puking all game. Never again.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Ragss

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Eat a couple big macs about 1-2 hours before you play.

I've had mcdonalds about 2 hours before a ball hockey game. Apart from feeling like a 10 pound baby was bouncing around in my stomach, it actually wasn't that bad. Except every time I got back to the bench I'd have to burp over the side to try to keep the toxic fumes from making everyone throw up.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Hockeyfan68

I'm burping just reading about some of these ... geeeeerosss

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:25 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
A couple seasons ago I tried one beer before a game. Felt like puking all game. Never again.
Tried it once. Just one beer and didn't even feel like I had even a sip. Great in the warmup as I felt just a bit more relaxed and felt like I was gliding/flying. As soon as the puck dropped and I got the slightest bump I was Wobbles McFallen. Just could not stay on my feet with the slightest contact. Yeah, never again.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:25 PM
fcb51

A Banana before the game and during periods. If not, a vector bar or at worst a snickers...

fcb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:17 PM
TinofGrizz

24-48oz of Miller Lite before the game and 24-48oz of Miller lite after the game Beer is the only way to get me to the rink anymore

TinofGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 02:55 PM
pirate94

powerbar has something called "powergels", it's small gel packs with tons of carbs and somewhat sweet, they helped out tons.
you can also find other brands as well, take 15 mins before gametime and you will be fine.

pirate94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:36 PM
densetsu

To answer the original question... I always have a supply of Clif Bars and Sun-Rype Fruitsource bars in my truck. If I have an empty stomach, then 30 minutes before a game I'll have one Clif Bar or two Fruitsource bars.

I feel nauseous if I exert myself for a long period of time on an empty stomach (though not as bad as beer + exertion makes me feel). These bars are convenient and have a bit of fiber, so they usually last me a game.

Old
03-24-2010, 11:17 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I'm burping just reading about some of these ... geeeeerosss
My friend and I went to Mexico and got some Cohibas, the Churchill ones (really big) We decided to smoke one before a hockey but it was the first one from the pack and we didn't know how long they burnt for. About a half hour in we decided to try to finish it off so we just kept puffing and puffing. I felt pretty ill for the whole game but i looked at my friend and I think he actually turned green.

As for a pre game snack, I like granola bars and beef jerky is awesome. Any type of fruit would be good too because of the naturally occuring sugar.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:59 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socastee09 View Post
so i have a question, i have a game on thursday around 8 pm, how would you go about doing the oatmeal? could i mix it with water and just drink it? or is it better to actually make the oatmeal?
There's really only two ways to do it.
- Eat the oatmeal dry and have water on the side
- Prepare the oatmeal and eat it, but you'll still need water on the side

For actually mixing oatmeal into water, I don't recommend it. Your stomach will do that for you if you consume them separately, but there's less chance of your mouth rejecting it than when you take a chug of oatmeal water.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:35 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
There's really only two ways to do it.
- Eat the oatmeal dry and have water on the side
- Prepare the oatmeal and eat it, but you'll still need water on the side
Is there an advantage to eating oatmeal dry? To me, that just seems weird. Why wouldn't you cook it? I'm trying to picture myself taking a scoop of Quaker Oats and eating it straight out of the box... but I just can't see how I'd do it. What kind of effect would raw, fibrous oats have on your intestines?

If you eat it dry, does it take longer to digest -- leaving you fuller, longer?

Old
03-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Frankie Spankie

I play twice a week and unfortunately once, it's in the morning. When I play early in the morning, I'll eat a banana and one of those Dole fruit cups.

When I play nights, I make one of those Pillsbury Italian Bread loafs. Other than that, I eat a lot of fruit, couple of bananas, apples, and oranges.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Socastee09

Quote:
Is there an advantage to eating oatmeal dry? To me, that just seems weird. Why wouldn't you cook it? I'm trying to picture myself taking a scoop of Quaker Oats and eating it straight out of the box... but I just can't see how I'd do it. What kind of effect would raw, fibrous oats have on your intestines?

yeah thats what i was thinking, making you stay "fuller" longer. but i will deff try that out on sunday for practice.

Socastee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 12:46 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

Peter Forsberg would be the one to ask. Like I said, my primary focus was on not puking (and thus dehydrating).

My schedule would normally look like this, using conditioning for football back in the day as a basis.
8:30 AM to about 9:15 AM - wake up, eat oatmeal, sip some water
9:15 AM to about 9:25 AM - stretch slightly to undo kinks from previous day
9:25 AM to 9:55 AM - drive to school
10:00 AM to 12:00 PM - work my ass off under the blazing sun, watching as guys in better condition than me puked their guts out
After 12:05 PM - Head back home, have lunch, and fill the day with whatever else was going on

To the second question about what effect raw oats would have, we're talking two different things. Something like regular instant oatmeal has been rolled, cut, and cooked; it has a sort of papery texture and isn't likely to do much of anything. If you eat truly raw oats (Irish, Scottish, pinhead, steel cut), it might have some undesirable effects. I've never done that one before, so I couldn't tell you what happens.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
I play twice a week and unfortunately once, it's in the morning. When I play early in the morning, I'll eat a banana and one of those Dole fruit cups.

When I play nights, I make one of those Pillsbury Italian Bread loafs. Other than that, I eat [a lot[/I] of fruit, couple of bananas, apples, and oranges.
A loaf of bread? That is a terrible choice to have before a game.

Sure there are some carbs in it, but overall terrible to play with a stomach full of bread.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Renneys Revenge

i like to have a bunch of water and dry fruitloops on the way to games. gotta love toucan sam

Renneys Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 09:39 AM
swede84

vCash: 398
I always have had good results eating pasta or lasagna, or pizza in moderation before games. Lots of carbs for energy and if you don't stuff yourself it doesn't make you feel lethargic.

On the flipside, there was a goalie I used to play with that would actually drink a strawberry milkshake during the game
He wasn't that good at choosing game foods or stopping the puck either (we called him sieve)

swede84 is offline   Reply With Quote