HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

More boring Comrie thoughts/trade ideas...

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2003, 10:34 AM
speeds

vCash: 500
More boring Comrie thoughts/trade ideas...

I've seen people posting that Comrie's value is dropping because it looks like EDM is going to trade him. And I suppose it might.

But only if Lowe lets it by making a trade that doesn't give the Oilers full value back.

If it gets to the point where it's definitely agreed that Comrie will be traded, IMO Lowe cannot buckle to fan pressure if the team starts losing and deal him for a song. He's got to come out with a statement along the lines of " I'm simply not gonna move a player like Comrie for less than full value.", instead of just buckling and moving him.

From NYR, a package around Lundmark and Tyutin may be acceptable, depending on particulars.

What might interest me is a deal with PHX, something like:

Comrie + ??? for Knyazev/Mara and Kolanos/Taffe

assuming PHX would even want comrie after moving a somewhat similar player in Briere last year.

lots of teams have interesting pieces, but I'm not sure many of them would be interested in Comrie.

DET makes some sense, anyof Datsyuk, Zetterburg, Fischer could make sense from an Oilers perspective, though I'd probably be looking for younger than Datsyuk if I could in moving Comrie.

REgardless, the main point I wanted to throw out there is this comrie situation is too important from a value perspective for Lowe to simply move Comrie quickly, for less than full value, simply because the fans are impatient. He absolutely can't let that pressure get to him, not on this one, it is too important and his job is to be able to handle that.

Old
09-27-2003, 10:54 AM
Mizral

I think Knyazev & Taffe for Comrie is a fair deal for both sides.

Mara alone for Comrie maybe, but even then I'm not sure. The Phoenix organization is high on Mara, and he may be ready to break out point-wise with Numminen finally out of the picture.

I like your ideas though. Kolanos is a good guy too, but he's got concussion problems. I think the Yotes would rather hold onto him than trade him at the moment, but I do feel Taffe is definetly moveable.

Old
09-27-2003, 10:56 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
yep, he needs to do what Clarke (the stupid, retarted, jerk off, goof ball, cheap shot taking, boy humping, ***) did with Lindros. Sit on it untill something acceptable is on the table. Even if that means waiting until next summer..... Comrie is to important to the Oilers future to be given away. Lowe needs something good back for him - or else sit on it.

Old
09-27-2003, 10:58 AM
Lowetide

I think Lowe DOES have all the cards, but by the same token how long do you want to have that distraction out there? Lowe prides himself on having his roster in place as early as possible, so I suspect Comrie will be moved soon.

The biggest reason imo is that the Oilers have areas they can address, and they might as well get that puck moving defender now as later, or get the centerman in here for the same reason.

As an aside, I don't think the Wings would trade Zetterburg for Comrie even if Comrie were signed. I know I wouldn't.

Old
09-27-2003, 11:02 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I think Lowe DOES have all the cards, .
You'e right, but that can change. The second the Oilers start losing (or if they start poorly), his cards will be falling into Comrie's lap.

Idealy, what happens is the Oilers start strong, and somewhere in November or December or something, a top centre somewhere in the league goes down with injury, and are forced to overpay for Comrie (maybe Thornton goes down and they deal Boynton for him or something).

Old
09-27-2003, 11:20 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I've seen people posting that Comrie's value is dropping because it looks like EDM is going to trade him. And I suppose it might.

But only if Lowe lets it by making a trade that doesn't give the Oilers full value back.

If it gets to the point where it's definitely agreed that Comrie will be traded, IMO Lowe cannot buckle to fan pressure if the team starts losing and deal him for a song. He's got to come out with a statement along the lines of " I'm simply not gonna move a player like Comrie for less than full value.", instead of just buckling and moving him.

From NYR, a package around Lundmark and Tyutin may be acceptable, depending on particulars.

What might interest me is a deal with PHX, something like:

Comrie + ??? for Knyazev/Mara and Kolanos/Taffe

assuming PHX would even want comrie after moving a somewhat similar player in Briere last year.

lots of teams have interesting pieces, but I'm not sure many of them would be interested in Comrie.

DET makes some sense, anyof Datsyuk, Zetterburg, Fischer could make sense from an Oilers perspective, though I'd probably be looking for younger than Datsyuk if I could in moving Comrie.

REgardless, the main point I wanted to throw out there is this comrie situation is too important from a value perspective for Lowe to simply move Comrie quickly, for less than full value, simply because the fans are impatient. He absolutely can't let that pressure get to him, not on this one, it is too important and his job is to be able to handle that.
Pho already has one small center in Langkow. They moved Briere to get some size at center, so it si unlikely they would make a maove to create teh problem they just fixed.

Old
09-27-2003, 11:43 AM
Jewelly

vCash:
I came across this comment on another site (Flames fan from Edmonton) and thought it was quite interesting. Since there's so many opinions and questions about Comrie... I'll add another one to it.

---------------------
1) I stand by my previous statement that this has to be one of the most sporting mad cities on the planet. 44,000 for the CFL, the Golden Bears draw tremendous attendence, and oilers fever has struck.

2) Comrie is on the verge of being done here in Edmonton. Everyone knows he took advantage of a loophole to get his first contract and public sentiment is most definately on the oilers side. When you think about it, this is a city that saw Gretzky, Moog, Fuhr, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, Anderson walk out (all potential hall of famers) and then a series of other all star players go out as well - Arnott, Poti, Weight, Simpson, Huddy, Ranford, Joseph, carter. Comrie is just another name. The fans have been de-sensitized to stars leaving and would rather see the team benefit that one player. Comrie is seen as living with a silver spoon in his mouth and few are willing to overlook that and concentrate just on hockey. If Comrie re-signs, it will be just a delay of the inevitable trade. It is reaching the threshold of where Poti and Arnott were at - that being every time they touch the puck they get booed. Fans were especially relentless on Poti.

3) Hero making. Georges Laraque is the most popular player in the city. He does Power 92's Saturday morning countdown, and has been the face for a remarkably successful literacy program in schools (grant fuhr has also been involved). I was drinking with some teachers last weekend and without exception they said the reports of Laraque coming to the school was an awesome experience for the kids and really charged them up for reading. Laraque is more important to the franchise than Ryan Smyth, Tommy Salo or any other player on the team.

4) The media up here can cross the line into propaganda pom pom waiving pretty quick, however some of the articles on here labled as drive bys or a tactic by Lowe are legitimate enunciations of what the call in shows, water cooler and pub talk is around town. People have huge expectations of Brad Isbister. Ricky Ray is the newest incarnation of Warren Moon. The Golden Bears football program sucks. etc etc. This is important to consider especially in the Comrie situation. In fact if you bring up the Brick to someone in conversation, it usually flips immediately over to a negative comment about Comrie and his contract demands .... interesting to see if it actually affects the bottom line.

Old
09-27-2003, 12:10 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
I came across this comment on another site (Flames fan from Edmonton) and thought it was quite interesting. Since there's so many opinions and questions about Comrie... I'll add another one to it.
...those are all pretty astute observations. Particularly...
Quote:
When you think about it, this is a city that saw Gretzky, Moog, Fuhr, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, Anderson walk out (all potential hall of famers) and then a series of other all star players go out as well - Arnott, Poti, Weight, Simpson, Huddy, Ranford, Joseph, carter. Comrie is just another name. The fans have been de-sensitized to stars leaving and would rather see the team benefit that one player.
If Winter or Comrie or anybody at the NHLPA thought the public might be behind Comrie, they just don't understand this town very well.

Old
09-27-2003, 12:13 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
If Winter or Comrie or anybody at the NHLPA thought the public might be behind Comrie, they just don't understand this town very well.
HEAR HEAR, or is it HERE HERE (ah, who cares)
any ways, isn't that the truth!

Old
09-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Oi'll say!

Lowe made a comment in the Brownlee article that said he's not rushing into anything.....
Quote:
"I agree with Rich that it's best for both parties if there's a quick resolution, but unfortunately in this business things don't operate that way," Lowe said.

"Whether he signs here is a big question. In the event that's not going to happen, and if he gets traded, that doesn't happen overnight as well."

Jewelly - in comment #1 you could add that Edm is the second biggest draw in the country for boxing after Mtl, and they get 60,000 fans for team Canada's men's and women's soccer games. I think the crowd for the women's usa vs Canada game last year was bigger than any other city has even had for a men's game.

Old
09-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Yanner39

The best thing would be to have this settled before Oct 9th...The Oilers are playing their 25th season and this is a distration they don't need...Also, until Dvorak, Isbister and Hemsky show that they can pick up the slack, I think Lowe needs to get some offense back in return...

Closed Thread