HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Canucks sign Prab Rai

Old
03-23-2010, 11:22 PM
windflare

vCash: 500
Vancouver Canucks sign Prab Rai

Quote:
capgeek

#nhl contracts added for #canucks Prab Rai and #stars Tomas Vincour
http://www.twitter.com/capgeek

SEASON TYPE AHL SALARY SALARY BONUSES CAP HIT
2010-2011 TWO-WAY $60,000 $550,000 $571,667
2011-2012 TWO-WAY $60,000 $575,000 $571,667
2012-2013 TWO-WAY $60,000 $590,000 $571,667

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Tiranis

Moose-bound possibly? They sure need all the help they can get and if he's good in practice, perhaps they try him?

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:25 PM
timw33

Moose or Salmon King for sure.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:26 PM
King of Anarchy

Not a great source, but I'm sure he'll end up signing.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Yeah it is, they have broken a lot of minor and entry level signings.

Wayne Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
It actually is a great source; they constantly have minor signings before anywhere else and they haven't been false once.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Moose or Salmon King for sure.
Salmon Kings, probably, Moose are already sitting guys to make room for the new ones. But he should have a shot at making them next year with a good camp, or if they make a project out of teaching him to check.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Rai has played unreal this year, hopefully he continues it in the AHL.

His training camps have been pretty bad tho

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:31 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerLovesBurrows View Post
It actually is a great source; they constantly have minor signings before anywhere else and they haven't been false once.
I agree. Its my first source to confirm any signings or recalls/assignments of players. It is from my experience the most accurate source for cap numbers, and a vast improvement over nhlcap and the like.

As for Rai, my opinion on him is still uncertain. He has shown little potential in the camps he has been in, but has had very good performances in the WHL. Let's see how he does in the AHL. Arniel must be jumping for joy to have some talent/new faces there now/next year.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:32 PM
tesplen

Welcome to Victoria, Prab

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:34 PM
edler von real gud

vCash: 380
Send a message via MSN to edler von real gud

edler von real gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:39 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
I expect Kevin Connauton to be next! He been a beast and awesome, doubt he will be a canucks next year, but in one or two years later he will be. Good signing as the moose have more and more canucks prospect now.

canuck4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:17 AM
The Cowboy Poet

How many players do the Canucks have signed now? There's a limit of 50, yes?

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Given they tried to send him to Victoria last year, I'd guess that's his destination this year too.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:25 AM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cowboy Poet View Post
Yes, but these contracts signed don't take affect until next year. IIRC, we have 43 contracts at this point this year. The Canucks so far have ~26 contracts on the books for next year. Capgeek has a contract list for this year here.

I hope the result of signing more younger players this year is a younger team on the Moose next season, which with the proper mix of quality rather than quantity veterans should have the same kind of success. I don't think Rai is a great prospect with a ton of potential but he is a nice depth prospect to have and he certainly earned it with his play this year, even as an overager.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:30 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cowboy Poet View Post
Think we are at 42 (not counting Schroeder on his ATO) and we have 2 minor league UFAs and 4 minor league RFAs and 6 NHL UFA's and 4 NHL RFA's.

We have lots of contract spots going forward. We will have likely have added Schroeder, Sauve, Connauton, Rai, towards our 50 contract limit. But really, nothing to worry over.

Also, how did Ellington get 875K a year on his contract...? Did Nonis sign him to this amount out of pity?

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Balls Mahoney
SAVE US SVEN

Interested to see what Rai does with his pro career. I've seen Rai play probably three or four dozen times in his time here in Seattle. The guy has decent hands and vision however he never struck me as being a complete or NHL player. Rai is someone who's been pegged in his Junior career as having maturity issues and I tend to agree as he sometimes plays like his head and his ass are miles apart. If he's going to make it, he's going to make it on his offensive game as he's not gritty and he's average in his defensive game, work ethic and speed. If I was going to compare him to a NHL player, it would probably be someone like Jim Slater or Richard Park. Still hope for the best for Rai as I do for all the T-Bird alumni.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

At one point the Moose only had 3 players born in 87 or later on the roster, probably the lowest total in the AHL - Grabner Oberg and Bliznak.

Next year should be better but gaping holes in 88 and 89 players - most likely Oberg and Ellington will be the only 88/89's drafted or signed as a free agent to play for the Moose, and unless Oberg makes it, Canucks will never have an 88 or 89 drafted or signed by them on the roster - out of 20 or so players that could or were potentially drafted.

Ouch - good job, Dave Nonis.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Anonymous User

Quote:
Think we are at 42 (not counting Schroeder on his ATO) and we have 2 minor league UFAs and 4 minor league RFAs and 6 NHL UFA's and 4 NHL RFA's.

We have lots of contract spots going forward. We will have likely have added Schroeder, Sauve, Connauton, Rai, towards our 50 contract limit. But really, nothing to worry over.

Also, how did Ellington get 875K a year on his contract...? Did Nonis sign him to this amount out of pity?
No, Gillis signed him after consultation from Dave Gagner. It looks like a bad signing then and now. Moose fans say that he looks lost when he was called up to Manitoba and it looks like he is having a bad season in Victoria so far. IMO, the signing was more of a sign of hope that he could turned his play around because the defense cupboard was vaguely lacking in any prospects at the time.

Anonymous User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Scouter

vCash: 154
For those who say that Rai doesn't look like he will make the NHL, Gillis clearly disagrees and knows more, otherwise he would not have given him a contract.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
It's not like he's anywhere close to a NHL callup before that entry level contract expires (eg., he ain't going to be getting paid that). Didn't he sign that deal after a decent last year in the WHL?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Didn't he sign that deal after a decent last year in the WHL?
I remember watching two or three games and Ellington was completely and utterly average as an overager in his last WHL season (average compared to other WHL defensemen, below average compared to what an overager should bring). I think Nonis was desperately hoping he would magically turn into some Willie Mitchell replacement but the kid just doesn't have the tools or the toolbox to play NHL-level hockey. He was physical and that's about it - not a good skater, not great positionally, doesn't think the game nearly fast enough, and had zero skill.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 01:16 AM
skipole
Professional Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
For those who say that Rai doesn't look like he will make the NHL, Gillis clearly disagrees and knows more, otherwise he would not have given him a contract.
Just like he knew Ellington was going to make it?

They've signed Rai because they're not willing to give up on him yet and they want to bolster their minor league teams. The chances of him making the NHL are extremely slim, although they're not completely extinguished.

skipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 01:58 AM
carlweezer*

Quote:
fail, GM's sign players to contracts all the time but it doesnt mean they make the NHL..Walsky? Volpatti is not even close to being a shoe..hell what about Shirokov. Couldnt cut it this year..

I've said this before and would be gladly be proven wrong in the Future but Prab Rai does not have the skill and strength to be an impact NHL player. I dont want to deal with his character either...I mean who the hell demands a trade from a WHL team? who does he think he is.

carlweezer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 02:04 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Quote:
I don't even know if i should take you seriously anymore. Lots of players get signed to contracts in hopes they can do something in the AHL or even the ECHL. Something of value. Which Rai holds little of, but has some. Which makes him worth the contract.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote