HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best Outdoor Rinks in the world?

Old
03-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

vCash: 500
Best Outdoor Rinks in the world?

I live in Regina and considering how many people like hockey here, our ODR's are pathetic. They get flooded once a year, and no maintenance at all after the initial flooding!

When I grew up in winnipeg the ODR's were in much better shape. I feel that my local government should be doing more to ensure the public outdoor rinks are usable for the entire season! I know most Canadian cities do...

so where are the best outdoor rinks in the world?

Last edited by Seanconn*: 03-22-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:17 AM
BigNumber1Centre
Heart of Gallagher

I haven't been on any of the ones in Edmonton but I hear they are very well maintained but apparently you need a membership to use them so I think thats why they are so good.

BigNumber1Centre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:52 AM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Thumbs up for Winnipeg outdoor rinks. I grew up there too and remember them being in good shape most of the time. The last few times I have visited in the winter I have gone to play some shinny and the community center near my brothers place has a couple of boarded rinks and a big open leisure ice that seemed to be zambonied daily. What I was most impressed with last time though was the rinks on the river at the forks (an area of downtown). There was a pond hockey rink (no boards, but snowbanks are a different kind of hockey), a four sheet curling rink, several leisure skating areas and a couple of kilometers of trails down the river. All of it flooded and in really good shape. I live in a town just outside Edmonton now though and we have one outdoor rink that is very poorly maintained, it's sad really.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Badger36

Madison, WI has 8 outdoor rinks that are pretty great. Lots of room to skate, smooth ice and nice warming houses.
http://www.cityofmadison.com/residen...iceSkating.cfm

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Ottawa has 236 and they get the local community involved. My understanding is that they are set up by the city but the local community does the day to day maintenance and the City gives the community a budget and they pay local teenagers to do some of the work and other work is done by volunteers. Because of that set up, the conditions vary a lot from neighbourhood to neighbourhood but they can be excellent as long as the weather cooperates.

There is a web site to monitor conditions:

http://www.ottawarinkconditions.ca/

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Ottawa has 236 and they get the local community involved. My understanding is that they are set up by the city but the local community does the day to day maintenance and the City gives the community a budget and they pay local teenagers to do some of the work and other work is done by volunteers. Because of that set up, the conditions vary a lot from neighbourhood to neighbourhood but they can be excellent as long as the weather cooperates.

236? damn that rules!

My town has ZERO but the neighboring one has 2!

I usually drive out of town to different outdoor rinks, one I like is about 18 miles away and has lights on until 10pm

You Canucks are lucky bastages.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Not that I think Ottawa is North enough to get the title, but I did think of the Rideau Canal almost right away.

My guess is that Russia has a few claims on this. Canada as well, though much has gone indoors.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:08 PM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
I did think of the Rideau Canal almost right away.
That path in Winnipeg actually beat the Rideau Canal for the longest skating rink world record.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Ragss

I can vouch for Edmonton.

Our city is divided up into Communities. Dozens and dozens of communities. The outdoor rinks are all ran by their individual community, that community is fully responsible for it. The city gives a budget to each community, a fairly generous one from what I've seen, for all the communities needs, this means quite a few communities have seen fit to really keep their rinks kicking ass. There are even a few with mini zambonies. And all the rinks have paid caretakers, I did it for a winter and got 17 bucks an hour to watch over the rink and do a flood every couple nights.

edit, and there are community memberships to be had in Edmonton. I forget what it costs...but its cheap, and you get a skate tag that's good for any rink in the city for the season.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Areid1990

vCash: 50
Calgary is the same as Edmonton pretty much from what Raggs was saying.

Usually each community has a rink or 2 and they are maintained usually by the people who run the community center or something. The one I go to is fairly well maintained and get's flooded often when it's cold enough. If it snows they guy will go over it once or twice a day with a tractor and they even made a little rink outside the boarded rink where people can skate around if they don't want to play Hockey.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 01:49 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areid1990 View Post
Calgary is the same as Edmonton pretty much from what Raggs was saying.

Usually each community has a rink or 2 and they are maintained usually by the people who run the community center or something. The one I go to is fairly well maintained and get's flooded often when it's cold enough. If it snows they guy will go over it once or twice a day with a tractor and they even made a little rink outside the boarded rink where people can skate around if they don't want to play Hockey.
****, in Regina outdoor rinks are just located in various school yards, and the city floods em, and that that for the season. haha but maybe there is one crown jewel ive yet to check out?

the rinks are completely playable all winter, but by the time December January comes, there a **** ton of snow building up around the boards, and there's only one shovel there, and most of us will forget.

I wish more people wined about it, then maybe the city would get off their ass and put some sort of maintenance plan in motion.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:15 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
****, in Regina outdoor rinks are just located in various school yards, and the city floods em, and that that for the season. haha but maybe there is one crown jewel ive yet to check out?

the rinks are completely playable all winter, but by the time December January comes, there a **** ton of snow building up around the boards, and there's only one shovel there, and most of us will forget.

I wish more people wined about it, then maybe the city would get off their ass and put some sort of maintenance plan in motion.
We have a rink a few miles away lit up until 10pm that uses a big spinning brush roller type thing to clean the ice before reflooding. he is paid to redo the ice and it gets done every couple of days.

This winter the outdoor ice in the next city I discussed earlier was done EVERY DAY. It was very nice ice and done right with thin layers. No chipping or pot holes.

Mother Nature warmed up early this year though so by the third week of February the ice was done.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote