HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Backlund/Duchesne

Old
03-22-2010, 09:57 PM
buff

vCash: 500
Oh man... I forgot Cam ward... Remember when Carolina deceided to trust their young goalie in playoff when Martin Gerber was horrible against the Canadien...

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:01 AM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
Halak or Price not bad at all, M-A Fleury, Jonathan Quick , Evgeni Nabokov , Jonas Hiller, Pekka Rinne , Niklas Backstrom , Marty Turco his a has been but Dallas produced him... All are better than our goalies... The Flyers are the worst team to find talent in a goalie and yes i'm sick of that...
While I agree with your frustration, that is hardly 99% of the teams, and frankly, only a few of those goalies were 'developed' in the sense that you mean. Pittsburgh hardly developed MA Fleury by drafting him 1st overall. Now you could make the argument for Henrik Lundqvist and guys who go that road, but taking a goalie 1st overall is hardly good organizational development, especially when you consider how awful you have to be to earn that right.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:07 AM
JCameron418

i say we let backlund play

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 11:45 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
i say we let backlund play
Honestly I'd like to see Backlund play a couple of games at the AHL level for conditioning purposes before he is thrown into his NHL debut.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 08:04 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Oh man... I forgot Cam ward... Remember when Carolina deceided to trust their young goalie in playoff when Martin Gerber was horrible against the Canadien...
If you are insinuating that the Flyers should follow path I think you don't realize who different their situation was from ours. Cam Ward was a young first round pick, their number 1 goalie of the future, had posted great numbers in an AHL season (1.99GAA .937SV%), and had spend the season as a back up at the NHL level (28 games). Where as Backlund who the Flyers took a chance on signed as a free agent since they seem unable to draft a decent goalie and hoped he might be an NHL player. He's almost had a full season in the AHL and has put up below average numbers (2.79GAA 28th out of 40; .906 SV% 30th out of 40). Don't even get me started Duchesne who at this point is no more than an ECHL level goalie in three pro seasons he only played 299 minuets (almost 3 and one third games). I think it's safe to assume neither will be the Flyers' savior.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 08:12 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
If you are insinuating that the Flyers should follow path I think you don't realize who different their situation was from ours. Cam Ward was a young first round pick, their number 1 goalie of the future, had posted great numbers in an AHL season (1.99GAA .937SV%), and had spend the season as a back up at the NHL level (28 games). Where as Backlund who the Flyers took a chance on signed as a free agent since they seem unable to draft a decent goalie and hoped he might be an NHL player. He's almost had a full season in the AHL and has put up below average numbers (2.79GAA 28th out of 40; .906 SV% 30th out of 40). Don't even get me started Duchesne who at this point is no more than an ECHL level goalie in three pro seasons he only played 299 minuets (almost 3 and one third games). I think it's safe to assume neither will be the Flyers' savior.
Backlund has been the LEAST of the Phantoms problems. Most of their wins, he has to stand on his head. When he doesnt, they lose.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 08:17 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Backlund has been the LEAST of the Phantoms problems. Most of their wins, he has to stand on his head. When he doesnt, they lose.
Backlund being the least of their problems does not necessarily mean he's going to be our savior.

Not questioning your evaluation of him for the Phantoms, just sayin'.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 08:20 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Backlund being the least of their problems does not necessarily mean he's going to be our savior.

Not questioning your evaluation of him for the Phantoms, just sayin'.
Never said he was our savior (obviously Boosh is...right? ) I was talking about the guy saying he put up below average numbers. Just wanted to clarify that most of the time, its not because of his play.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 08:23 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Never said he was our savior (obviously Boosh is...right? ) I was talking about the guy saying he put up below average numbers. Just wanted to clarify that most of the time, its not because of his play.
Bri or Die, man. Bri or Die.

I was just giving you a hard time.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 08:26 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
I didn't say he was the Phantom's biggest problem. I just implied that his numbers we're that impressive and don't make a strong case for NHL playing time this season. The numbers do tend to show that, and the limited amount of play of seen from him this season hasn't made me feel like those stats were leading me in the wrong direction.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:22 PM
FlyerX

Backlund isn't a kid, he's 28. He's put up terrific SEL numbers and was Sweden's goalie at the World Championships in 07. He can't be any worse than Boucher tonight. Both goals were soft . . . again.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 09:03 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Backlund isn't a kid, he's 28. He's put up terrific SEL numbers and was Sweden's goalie at the World Championships in 07. He can't be any worse than Boucher tonight. Both goals were soft . . . again.
Does it make any difference when the team in front of him can't score a single goal? And, yes, he could be worse.

But, back to Backlund, good goalies manage to put up good numbers on bad teams. While their GAA may be high, they have a high save %age (Devan Dubnyk despite a 3.02 GAA, has a .915 save %age on an abysmal Falcons team). Backlund's numbers on a mediocre team are above average.

But, going back to Buff's statements. Sure, there are some homegrown goalies (I think it's too soon to say that Hiller and Rinne are the read deal), but there are plenty of teams that acquired good goalies (Kipper, Luongo, Vokoun, Bryzgalov). Unfortunately the Flyers have done neither.

Old
03-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Talbetts

I say we give Backlund a shot too. Maybe the team will get a spark from it...play well in front of him like they did with Leighton. Who knows? They obviously don't play well in front of Boosh.

I wonder if Hartnell can play goal since they wont scratch his ass? Nah, he'll be turning the puck over worse than Biron did. Nevermind.

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 09:53 AM
buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Does it make any difference when the team in front of him can't score a single goal? And, yes, he could be worse.

But, back to Backlund, good goalies manage to put up good numbers on bad teams. While their GAA may be high, they have a high save %age (Devan Dubnyk despite a 3.02 GAA, has a .915 save %age on an abysmal Falcons team). Backlund's numbers on a mediocre team are above average.

But, going back to Buff's statements. Sure, there are some homegrown goalies (I think it's too soon to say that Hiller and Rinne are the read deal), but there are plenty of teams that acquired good goalies (Kipper, Luongo, Vokoun, Bryzgalov). Unfortunately the Flyers have done neither.
Boucher is not the solution and will never be... Look his record now : 5W - 15L !!! The Flyers does'nt win with Boosh that's it that all... I wanna see a long shot for the next game... If is not Duchesne or Backlund... Bring me the young Riopel !!! Anybody of this goalie have better thechnic than Boucher by the way...

Did you saw Elliot last Night ?? Why the Flyer cannot have a goalie like him... I'm sick of Boucher, is a old time fashion player plus it's time to go for the future and try something. I Hate the habs but i'm sure this organistation as better by a mile to developping goalie than us...

Old
03-24-2010, 10:10 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Boucher is not the solution and will never be... Look his record now : 5W - 15L !!! The Flyers does'nt win with Boosh that's it that all... I wanna see a long shot for the next game... If is not Duchesne or Backlund... Bring me the young Riopel !!! Anybody of this goalie have better thechnic than Boucher by the way...

Did you saw Elliot last Night ?? Why the Flyer cannot have a goalie like him... I'm sick of Boucher, is a old time fashion player plus it's time to go for the future and try something. I Hate the habs but i'm sure this organistation as better by a mile to developping goalie than us...
Did I say that Boucher is the solution? If you look back to the off-season I was not happy with that signing to begin with. However, at this point, he's the team's 3rd option. How many teams would do well with their 3rd goalie?

I said it before and I'll say it again, the Flyers have done a poor job at both drafting and acquiring goalies. That said, you say it's time to go for the future. Well, neither Duchesne or Backlund are the future.

Old
03-24-2010, 09:02 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Which means the Flyers get shut out.
Wrong goalie, but great crystal ball !!!

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 09:14 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Halak or Price not bad at all, M-A Fleury, Jonathan Quick , Evgeni Nabokov , Jonas Hiller, Pekka Rinne , Niklas Backstrom , Marty Turco his a has been but Dallas produced him... All are better than our goalies... The Flyers are the worst team to find talent in a goalie and yes i'm sick of that...
yes please.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 12:10 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Wrong goalie, but great crystal ball !!!
I just read back through this thread, and saw my post. I had to chuckle... and then cry a little.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:55 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:

In fairness if I remember correctly during Boosh's longest stretch in net (14 games) the team played pretty badly.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Defmincex13

NAME GP GA GAA SA PCT SO ENG W L OTL MOI ATOI PIM G A
Ray Emery 29 74 2.64 783 .905 3 0 16 11 1 1683 58:03 2 0 1
Michael Leighton 34 85 2.83 899 .905 1 0 17 9 2 1799 52:55 0 0 1

Defmincex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:20 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defmincex13 View Post
NAME GP GA GAA SA PCT SO ENG W L OTL MOI ATOI PIM G A
Ray Emery 29 74 2.64 783 .905 3 0 16 11 1 1683 58:03 2 0 1
Michael Leighton 34 85 2.83 899 .905 1 0 17 9 2 1799 52:55 0 0 1
Not sure of why you posted Emery's and Leighton's stats, but wouldn't a fairer comparison be with Leighton's stats as a Flyer?

GP W L OT SO GA SA SV% GAA MIN
27 16 5 2 1 60 735 .918 2.48 1,449

and here are Boucher's stats

24 5 15 2 0 59 581 .898 2.82 1,255

Point is that you are stuck with Boucher for the rest of the season. Regardless of how I feel about Boucher, I have more confidence that he can stop the puck at the NHL level better than Backlund who has never played in an NHL game and has been above average at best at the AHL level.

Old
03-25-2010, 06:31 PM
buff

I repeat... It's time to try something diferent... Boosh is not bad during the last games but he does'nt win. The Flyers need a push just like Leighton gave. Who predicted that one by the way ? Maybe Balckund or Duchesne could be give that kind of push...

Look the Habs situation with Price and Halak, yesterday in Buffalo Price was good but not enough to win the game particulary in the shoot out... Tonight against the Panthers, Martin choose Halak on the net...

Old
03-25-2010, 09:10 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 436
Some minutia to ponder...

http://www.csnphilly.com/03/25/10/Br...394&feedID=695

Quote:
Although goalie Johan Backlund is on the roster now as Brian Boucher’s backup, Laviolette would not commit as to whether he’ll start him a game. “I do feel comfortable with [Backlund]. Boosh battled hard last game and we have to give him some support. … I like to deal with it one game at a time.” … Talking to people about Boucher, some in the organization said the players seem to play overly defensive in front of him instead of relaxing and playing their usual offensive game. Maybe so. But Boucher doesn’t seem as comfortable in net as Michael Leighton. Then again, how could he given he sat longer than a Japanese bonsai plant. ... General manager Paul Holmgren said he has spoken to Backlund's agent, Don Baizley, once and will speak with him again about a contract extension. Backlund's NHL salary is $800,000. ...

03-25-2010, 09:45 PM
JCameron418

Micheal Leighton was claimed off waivers when he absolutely horrific numbers in Carolina. He worked well with our systems and turned out to be awesome.

Maybe all Backlund needs is a good system in front of him. I say he starts the next game to see how he does.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:51 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Those comments about Boucher are very illuminating especially when you consider a game like tonight.

When a team doesn't trust its goalie, that never ends well.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote