HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Canucks sign Prab Rai

Old
03-24-2010, 02:08 AM
Donky

vCash: 500
Might go check him out when he hits Victoria next week...can't see him going to the Moose.

Donky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 02:40 AM
Hammer79

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...148/story.html

Quote:
"We looked at Garry but we're holding that position for Prab Rai," said Salmon Kings GM and head coach Mark Morrison.

"We would love to have Rai here but his situation is up in the air."

That's because the Surrey native and 2008 Vancouver Canucks fifth-round draft pick has yet to sign with the Canucks. He can't be assigned anywhere in the organization until he does. He is coming off a 41-goal season in the WHL, so why would he give the Canucks a second look -- chancing a slow start as a pro in the ECHL -- before guaranteeing himself some security first by putting his name on an NHL contract?

"His signing is up to Vancouver and I'm not sure where they are with that at the moment," said Morrison.
Obviously from a few days ago, as I don't doubt capgeek on such a minor signing...

Hammer79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 04:27 AM
Meganuck*

Being of indian descent, I'm hoping this guy makes it. It's going to be tough as he has ALOT of areas to work on but it would be great to see this guy make it.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 04:44 AM
Scouter

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipole View Post
Just like he knew Ellington was going to make it?

They've signed Rai because they're not willing to give up on him yet and they want to bolster their minor league teams. The chances of him making the NHL are extremely slim, although they're not completely extinguished.
Newsflash, GM's don't sign their own draft picks to contracts just to be farm club pluggers, they sign any ole free agent hanging around for that, it's a waste of a contract anyway if they don't think much of the player, they might as well deal the pick.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
Newsflash, GM's don't sign their own draft picks to contracts just to be farm club pluggers, they sign any ole free agent hanging around for that, it's a waste of a contract anyway if they don't think much of the player, they might as well deal the pick.
That is not correct.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:03 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
Yeah it is, they have broken a lot of minor and entry level signings.
Eklund has also broken a bunch of trades as well. Do you consider him to be a great source?

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlweezer View Post
fail, GM's sign players to contracts all the time but it doesnt mean they make the NHL..Walsky? Volpatti is not even close to being a shoe..hell what about Shirokov. Couldnt cut it this year..

I've said this before and would be gladly be proven wrong in the Future but Prab Rai does not have the skill and strength to be an impact NHL player. I dont want to deal with his character either...I mean who the hell demands a trade from a WHL team? who does he think he is.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:24 AM
LeftCoast

I think if you look at Rai since he left that dreadful Prince George team he has done nothing but produce. The guy has put up point per game seasons in the WHL, the lastest one with 41 goals. He is blessed with a lot of natural talent and athleticism, speed, hands, good instincts, etc.; these are things you can't teach (a good athletic pedigree as well as his father was an Olympic athelete on Canada's national field hockey team, winning a gold medal at the PanAm games).

The "character issues" around leaving the PG Cougars should also be considered in the context that he did it as a 16 year old, with the advice and support of his parents. If he had not been traded to Seattle, he would not likely have been drafted, so how can you blame a player for acting in his own best interest when the window of opportunity is so short. And it's not like when he went to Seattle he stepped onto a talent laden team either - he had George Holloway and Greg Scott (an undrafted over-ager) for wingers.

He has been criticized as being a perimeter player - so are Grabner, Raymond, Shirokov and Schroeder. He has bulked up considerably since his draft year and a couple of years in Manitoba will do him a lot of good. It's not like Scott Arniel is unfamiliar with developing skilled, speedy forwards who shy away from physical play.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Eklund has also broken a bunch of trades as well. Do you consider him to be a great source?
I'm not sure how many hits capgeek would expect to get from making up a Prab Rai rumour.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
He has been criticized as being a perimeter player - so are Grabner, Raymond, Shirokov and Schroeder. He has bulked up considerably since his draft year and a couple of years in Manitoba will do him a lot of good. It's not like Scott Arniel is unfamiliar with developing skilled, speedy forwards who shy away from physical play.
I think the biggest problem has been his showing during camps... he just looks worse than most of our other prospects and always seems to have hands of stone. Perhaps the pressure gets to him or perhaps he truly doesn't have what it takes.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:40 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I think the biggest problem has been his showing during camps... he just looks worse than most of our other prospects and always seems to have hands of stone. Perhaps the pressure gets to him or perhaps he truly doesn't have what it takes.
or perhaps he's just way too far off from being even close to NHL ready and has to work on several areas of his game.

I don't doubt that Rai is a longshot to make it. Much like Gendur was when he was signed a couple years ago, despite the hype he got coming in - and who actually looked good in his second camp IIRC. More than anything though, I'm interested in seeing how the organization develops him over the next few years... he clearly has some tools and has been successful in lower levels, and as such he's hardly a write-off, despite being a longshot.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
or perhaps he's just way too far off from being even close to NHL ready and has to work on several areas of his game.

I don't doubt that Rai is a longshot to make it. Much like Gendur was when he was signed a couple years ago, despite the hype he got coming in - and who actually looked good in his second camp IIRC. More than anything though, I'm interested in seeing how the organization develops him over the next few years... he clearly has some tools and has been successful in lower levels, and as such he's hardly a write-off, despite being a longshot.
I think I worded my post badly. I definitely think he needs more development time and am not writing him off. Just don't think he should be mentioned in the same sentence as Raymond — at this point he's a much more of a longshot than Raymond ever was.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:47 AM
leo2892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
At one point the Moose only had 3 players born in 87 or later on the roster, probably the lowest total in the AHL - Grabner Oberg and Bliznak.

Next year should be better but gaping holes in 88 and 89 players - most likely Oberg and Ellington will be the only 88/89's drafted or signed as a free agent to play for the Moose, and unless Oberg makes it, Canucks will never have an 88 or 89 drafted or signed by them on the roster - out of 20 or so players that could or were potentially drafted.

Ouch - good job, Dave Nonis.
Raymond's in the NHL.
Edler's in the NHL.
Hansen's in the NHL.
Grabner's in the NHL.
Schneider and Shirokov are arguably the best players on the Moose.

Ellington should be in the AHL next season, Kablukov is doing well in Russia and Matson is doing well in U of Minnesota.

Nonis turned our abysmal prospect pool around and drafted some young players to get excited about - the first time in a long time for this franchise. He also got the pieces necessary to acquire Ehrhoff and O'Brien.

But yeah, **** him.

Good for Prab, by the way.

Last edited by leo2892: 03-24-2010 at 10:52 AM.
leo2892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Wetcoaster

Here is an interview with a blogger who followed Rai with the Seattle Thunderbirds:
http://canuckshockeyblog.com/?p=3156

Thom Beuning, who chronicled the T-Birds in his “In The Corners” blog says of Rai's future:
Quote:
If I was a Canucks fan and Prab were to sign I’d caution against expecting him to make the quick leap to the big club. It might take a season or two at the lower levels. But if he continues to commit himself to improving his physical play, I think he has the mental make up to be a solid contributer in the NHL.

Old
03-24-2010, 11:24 AM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I think I worded my post badly. I definitely think he needs more development time and am not writing him off. Just don't think he should be mentioned in the same sentence as Raymond — at this point he's a much more of a longshot than Raymond ever was.
While he is certainly more of a long shot than Raymond (a 2nd round pick who absolutely dazzled scouts at the 2005 RBC Cup), his odds of being an NHLer are probably no worse than Rodin's. Rai has the advantage over Rodin of playing lots of minutes in all sorts of situations, albeit against junior players rather than adults. Hopefully Rodin will either move up the depth chart or jump to the AHL next season.

It's likely Rai will go to Victoria for the remainder of the season, and will challenge to make the Moose next year. Although the Moose are so weak at centre right now (Rosa, Schroeder, Stastny, Bliznak - Walsky is in Victoria currently) there is a slight chance he reports to the Moose, but Victoria is more likely as Arniel already has already had to get new additions Stasny and Schroeder into the lineup.

Next season the competition at Centre on the Moose will include Schroeder, Stastny, Walsky, Rai and Bliznak - and I'm sure that Craig Heisinger will try to bring back Rosa and at least 1 more AHL veteran. The Canucks also have to make a decision on Bolduc who would be on the Manitoba roster if he were healthy. So with lots of competition at centre, Rai will have to produce or remain in Victoria.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Except Eklund gets about 99% of them wrong.

Capgeek.com is pretty much spot on. And they provide details of the three year ELC:
http://www.capgeek.com/players/displ...id=89972&pos=F

Old
03-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I hate to make irrelevant posts in relation to the thread topic... but seriously you just got so many cool points for busting out that reference.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:42 AM
valkyrie42ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2892 View Post
Raymond's in the NHL.
Edler's in the NHL.
Hansen's in the NHL.
Grabner's in the NHL.
Schneider and Shirokov are arguably the best players on the Moose.

Ellington should be in the AHL next season, Kablukov is doing well in Russia and Matson is doing well in U of Minnesota.

Nonis turned our abysmal prospect pool around and drafted some young players to get excited about - the first time in a long time for this franchise. He also got the pieces necessary to acquire Ehrhoff and O'Brien.

But yeah, **** him.

Good for Prab, by the way.
THank you, about time a real analysis was done showing some decent DEPTH we have.

valkyrie42ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:43 AM
jabberhockey

I think this means the Canucks have 26 players under contract for next season with 13 RFAs. Assuming they are all re-signed, the Canucks will still have 11 contracts to hand out...correct? I don't see any reason to panic about reaching the contract limit just yet.

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:15 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
for comedy, check out the comments on the facebook link related to this.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Eklund rarely breaks trades and gets a lot wrong. Cap Geek is never wrong.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerLovesBurrows View Post
Eklund rarely breaks trades and gets a lot wrong. Cap Geek is never wrong.
Seems Capgeek got it right - the Canucks now confirm the signing:
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm...twt-vancanucks

Old
03-24-2010, 12:43 PM
DanyHeatleyfnAllstar
French Coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Being of indian descent, I'm hoping this guy makes it. It's going to be tough as he has ALOT of areas to work on but it would be great to see this guy make it.
Gotta get him some steroids so he can bulk up.

DanyHeatleyfnAllstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirokov View Post
Gotta get him some steroids so he can bulk up.
I heard of this chiropractor in the Washington DC area who apparently has some connections...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032302421.html

Old
03-24-2010, 12:59 PM
mathonwy
Canucklehead

Is he related to Priya Rai?

mathonwy is offline   Reply With Quote