HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Theres Gotta Be Some Hope, Right?

Old
03-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Mgkibbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
So pretty much the same team as this season minus a few players? If we wanna win, we are going to need change, on offense/defense and of course goalie wise.
I don't see how much changes other than young guys playing larger roles and the Flyers getting rid of Hartnell because I don't see how we trade either Gagne or Briere with their salaries, declining play, and NTC. At least Hartnell we could possibly find a suitor for because hes still fairly young plus hes a PF with a decent amount of skill (less than he thihttp://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=24689676&posted=1#post24689676nks though) so I beilieve we could find a team he'd waive his NTC for.

Defense and Goalie discussion would call for a new thread, but just in short I'd say offer Coburn's rights + Hartnell for Timmy Thomas, and find a new and improved partner for Pronger and move Carle down to the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

Last edited by Mgkibbles: 03-24-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:03 AM
agrudez*

Positives:

Richards played with alot of intensity, made some nice drives to the net
Carcillo drew 3 penalties and took none
Lappy played with alot of heart, read: sacrifice body to block shot
Our PP tried to use the dmen alot more, even if it didn't work it is good to see
Our PK was OUTSTANDING. Ottawa should have had 5 goals with all the ******** penalties going our way
The team showed alot of grit trying to score in that last power play, and actually succeeded except Bettman called Toronto and asked them to revoke our goal (that is why it took so long for the call to be made). I honestly think that if that goal was called right then we would have had a VERY legit shot at tying it up, but after it was called back we were deflated.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:05 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I don't see how we trade either Gagne or Briere with their salaries, declining play, and NTC.
Your hate on Gagne still mystifies me.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:08 AM
TheLegendkiller

I'm hoping Gagne is just having an off year. I wish we could trade Hartnell for like Kesler or Bobby Ryan but hell would freeze over 1st.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:14 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I wish we could trade Hartnell for like Kesler or Bobby Ryan but hell would freeze over 1st.
I'm also still wishing I could trade my broken coffee maker for ownership of Emanuelle Chiriqui, but haven't had much luck yet.
for

Old
03-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Your hate on Gagne still mystifies me.
He doesn't have the same hands anymore, plus I don't like his style of play, and he doesn't create enough opportunities for himself even though he has/had the skill to.

Old
03-24-2010, 12:17 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
I'm also still wishing I could trade my broken coffee maker for ownership of Emanuelle Chiriqui, but haven't had much luck yet.
for

That'd be a sweet deal.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:20 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
He doesn't have the same hands anymore, plus I don't like his style of play, and he doesn't create enough opportunities for himself even though he has/had the skill to.
So...you...haven't watched the last several games?

His shot, dekes, confidence, and physical play have all been coming back, and he looks more than capable again. What does he have? 18 points in the last 22 games? That's pretty solid.

Let's see what he can do with a fresh start out of the gate next year. If anything he's one of the bright spots, lately.

Old
03-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
So...you...haven't watched the last several games?

His shot, dekes, confidence, and physical play have all been coming back, and he looks more than capable again. What does he have? 18 points in the last 22 games? That's pretty solid.

Let's see what he can do with a fresh start out of the gate next year. If anything he's one of the bright spots, lately.
He has 10 points in the 13 games since the Olympic break, and only 7 points in 12 if you don't count his 3 point game right out of the gates against TB.

And sure I'll admit his play has improved lately, but hes 650+ games into a 10 year career filled with some serious injuries so is it really that crazy to think hes just not a first line player anymore?

Old
03-24-2010, 12:39 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
for

Well there was that one guy who traded a paper clip on craigslist and worked his way through trading up to a house.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13804920/

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:41 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
He has 10 points in the 13 games since the Olympic break, and only 7 points in 12 if you don't count his 3 point game right out of the gates against TB.

And sure I'll admit his play has improved lately, but hes 650+ games into a 10 year career filled with some serious injuries so is it really that crazy to think hes just not a first line player anymore?
How many first line players do we have producing like first line players this year?

...Right. Also, you can't just discount a 3 point game because it suits your argument.

How about we throw out all of Carcillo's multi-point games this season, then factor in how unproductive he was for us last year, and divide the result by two?

You can't just arbitrarily throw away numbers.

Gagne may not be putting up the 40 goals that he got his $5m, NTC contract for, but at this point he is far from the worst of our worries and - historically - has always rebounded from bad years with very good ones.

Why would you not want to see what he does next year?

Also, his injury history and age will undoubtedly come into play in contract extension negotiations. If we can sign him for 3.5, maybe even 4, that's perfectly legitimate for a second line, two-way winger.

Old
03-24-2010, 07:28 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with you people? Richards isn't the problem. Hes one of the only guy you can count on every night to give you a solid effort. The problem with Richards game is the people hes playing with. Like I said a while ago, Gagne is a 3rd line player at this point in his career, and when it comes to Carcillo, I really like him, but he doesn't have the hands to play on the first line so essentially Richie is playing with two 3rd liners...so please explain how the **** is he supposed to get anything done with those line mates?
If Knuble's still here, Richards has at least 15-20 more points.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 08:01 AM
JSTAFF

I'm POSITIVE Chris Pronger is a big ****ing 6'6 *****. I was excited about this signing because I thought opposing players would FEAR skating with their head down coming into our zone. I was excited because I thought players like ***** Volchenkov wouldn't be throwing elbows or boarding Gagne because he would have to face the wrath of Chris Pronger. Sure, hes a Norris canadate blah blah blah but I wanted that attitude and passion he had when he was in Anaheim and I have yet to see it. I will wait for my final judgement until the playoffs start, if we even ****ing making it.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
If Knuble's still here, Richards has at least 15-20 more points.
Thats a good possibility. I still have no problem with the Flyers letting him walk though.

Old
03-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Teezax

Quote:
LOST was really good.
Unbelievably good!
Almost shed a tear.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
What exactly did you see out of Richards that would lead you to think the C needs to be stripped?
I've always loved Mike, but his mealy-mouthed interview after the game was embarrassing. It's HIS job to make sure his teammates are giving a full effort and to ream them if they are not. It's not his job to stand there after the game looking stunned and perplexed as to why some of them didn't.

More embarrassing is that they DID give a full effort. They were all really trying out there, except Briere of course, he really can't be bothered to do much of anything.

If Richards is really the captain, he should have taken a fine and said, 'the refs sucked, we got screwed over and over again, we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore.'

Instead we get mumbling and shuffling of feet.

Rip the C off his sweater and put it on someone who gives a crap. He played a great game but if he is leading, no one is following.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:13 AM

vCash: 50
Lost really was amazing. Best part of the night by some distance.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I've always loved Mike, but his mealy-mouthed interview after the game was embarrassing. It's HIS job to make sure his teammates are giving a full effort and to ream them if they are not. It's not his job to stand there after the game looking stunned and perplexed as to why some of them didn't.

More embarrassing is that they DID give a full effort. They were all really trying out there, except Briere of course, he really can't be bothered to do much of anything.

If Richards is really the captain, he should have taken a fine and said, 'the refs sucked, we got screwed over and over again, we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore.'

Instead we get mumbling and shuffling of feet.

Rip the C off his sweater and put it on someone who gives a crap. He played a great game but if he is leading, no one is following.
Completely disagree. If you remember the whole Burrows incident earlier, a lot of people said that he was wrong for doing it -- as with fighting, there is a sort of unwritten code between players, refs, and coaches: what happens during the 60+ minutes of play stays within the confines of the ice...it's not for public discussion, and if anyone's gonna complain, it should be a coach or GM.

Do I think that it's good that the league's suckass officiating gets swept under the carpet? No, not at all. But that's how it is.

I think that the way Pronger handles it is hilarious. Do you really think that Pronger was fine with the way that the game was reffed yesterday? No. But he goes out of his way to say it wasn't their fault at all (i mean they did have a 2 minute 5-on-3). There was an article earlier in the year when a reporter asked Pronger about the refs and bias. He was like 'I don't think they're against us...I feel that we're always on the PP"

And as to the bolded -- Richards saying "we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it" -- what then? So they're mad. What are they going to do to help their cause? Piss refs off so they can get screwed even more in the next 10 games that really matter. It isn't Richards' job to ***** and complain publicly. His job is to go out and compete hard night in and night out. Blaming the game on the refs -- and they were atrocious last night -- is an excuse that losers use, especially when the game was there for the Flyers' taking anyway.

Last edited by chimrichalds18: 03-24-2010 at 10:31 AM.
chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:33 AM
buff

-For second game in a row, the team does'nt allowed empty net goal... Maybe it's time to think play a full 60 minutes game without goalie...

-MLB season begin next week! Go Yankees go!

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I got out of class early.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:40 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Lost really was amazing. Best part of the night by some distance.
I agree. Best episode of the season so far.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Bryz4shiz

Forth line played well, Richie played pretty well, and ah...

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:51 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
for
aww hell no! I'm making this a bidding war.

I'm offering my microwave!

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Black Ice

Am I the only person that thinks that what a player (Richards or anyone else) says to the media has nothing to do with what they say to their team mates? Richie hates talking to the press but I'm pretty sure that I've heard players say that he's spoken to them, either individually or as a group when he wasn't happy about something.

Anyway, positives from last night:

PK was outstanding
They played with more energy

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:19 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Other than shooting Richards triumphs Carter in every category so shake yourself.
Skating and faceoffs.........

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote