HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Jon Blum - 16, Colin Wilson 17 ...

Old
03-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Jon Blum - 16, Colin Wilson 17 ...

Top 50 Prospects

Cody Franson # 29

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Predsrule

34. Chet Pickard

4 guys in top 34
=)

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 06:50 AM
WalkmanX

That's Nice, I'm really looking forward to seeing Blum play lots of good comments about him so hopefully I'll get to see him next season

WalkmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 08:41 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkmanX View Post
That's Nice, I'm really looking forward to seeing Blum play lots of good comments about him so hopefully I'll get to see him next season
Same here, i think this kid has a lot of potential.

My wish d pairs

Weber-Suter
Blum-Franson
Ellis-Josi

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:14 AM
WalkmanX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post

My wish d pairs

Weber-Suter
Blum-Franson
Ellis-Josi
i was actually thinking about next season D pairings and well i would love to see

Weber-Suter
Bouillon-Klein
Franson-Blum <- Start grooming them into next Weber-Suter

Franson needs to work on his speed tough...

Last edited by WalkmanX: 03-23-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old
03-23-2010, 06:19 PM
JamboPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post

My wish d pairs

Weber-Suter
Blum-Franson
Ellis-Josi
Hi guys new user here
How soon do you think Roman Josi will be playing regularly for the preds. Next season, two, three seasons from now?

Thanks

JamboPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboPred View Post
Hi guys new user here
How soon do you think Roman Josi will be playing regularly for the preds. Next season, two, three seasons from now?

Thanks
Welcome aboard! Josi is scheduled to come over to North America next season and join the Milwaukee Admirals (AHL). From there, it will depend on how quickly he adapts to the smaller ice surface and proves his talents.

I could see him getting a look possibly as early as late next season, but more likely the following year and when he is able to make the jump to the NHL full-time will only be determined by him...

Josi is one of my favorite prospects...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 06:29 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Does anyone know of a player who noticeably increased their speed after they made the NHL? Because I hear this a lot, that a guy is a good prospect or player but "needs to increase their speed" and I can't recall it happening, but of course I only know a tiny percentage of the players careers, 1 percent lol.

A guy who makes the NHL has been skating for 15 to 20 years, probably training hard for 8 to 10 years, yet coaches want them to get faster. Wilson said a couple years ago he worked really hard to improve his skating because he was told that needed work. And he said he did make nice gains. But now? Trotz said preseason that he could improve his speed but that's all he saw. And I'm thinking "sorry coach, Wilson is probably about where his speed is going to be" because I jsut doubt players get faster after this age.

But maybe I'm wrong. If I'm wrong it makes me wonder why Franson (or Wilson) weren't working on their speed already. I haven't heard anyone say "Wow, look at Franson! He's so much faster than last year!"

I think "improve their speed" is almost a false hope once they reach the NHL. It would be very tough to change skating techinique after 15-20 years of skating a certain way. Of course, as I said, Wilson says he did improve a couple years back. Yet Trotz still mentions looking for more...

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 06:49 PM
JamboPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Welcome aboard! Josi is scheduled to come over to North America next season and join the Milwaukee Admirals (AHL). From there, it will depend on how quickly he adapts to the smaller ice surface and proves his talents.

I could see him getting a look possibly as early as late next season, but more likely the following year and when he is able to make the jump to the NHL full-time will only be determined by him...

Josi is one of my favorite prospects...
I am really looking forward to seeing him play, I was really disappointed when he got injured before the Olympics.
My favourite prospect has to be Chet Pickard!

JamboPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:05 PM
WalkmanX

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Does anyone know of a player who noticeably increased their speed after they made the NHL? Because I hear this a lot, that a guy is a good prospect or player but "needs to increase their speed" and I can't recall it happening, but of course I only know a tiny percentage of the players careers, 1 percent lol.

A guy who makes the NHL has been skating for 15 to 20 years, probably training hard for 8 to 10 years, yet coaches want them to get faster. Wilson said a couple years ago he worked really hard to improve his skating because he was told that needed work. And he said he did make nice gains. But now? Trotz said preseason that he could improve his speed but that's all he saw. And I'm thinking "sorry coach, Wilson is probably about where his speed is going to be" because I jsut doubt players get faster after this age.

But maybe I'm wrong. If I'm wrong it makes me wonder why Franson (or Wilson) weren't working on their speed already. I haven't heard anyone say "Wow, look at Franson! He's so much faster than last year!"

I think "improve their speed" is almost a false hope once they reach the NHL. It would be very tough to change skating techinique after 15-20 years of skating a certain way. Of course, as I said, Wilson says he did improve a couple years back. Yet Trotz still mentions looking for more...
You Sure bring up valid points, maybe my statement was more of a hope that it would be possible, because i really like Franson, but his speed is one of his weaknesses and it really showed in the last game aswell...

Old
03-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboPred View Post
I am really looking forward to seeing him play, I was really disappointed when he got injured before the Olympics.
My favourite prospect has to be Chet Pickard!
Me too. I thought he was the best defenseman in the WJC's for the Swiss (on par with Sbisa at a minimum) and was disappointed that he missed the rest of the tournament and was really looking forward to watching him up against men at the Olympics, but it just wasn't to be...

Josi has rejoined Bern and has scored some really nice goals in their first round victory over Lugano...

Pickard is definitely another top prospect. Needs to find consistency, but is still very young and loaded with potential...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:39 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
You Sure bring up valid points, maybe my statement was more of a hope that it would be possible, because i really like Franson, but his speed is one of his weaknesses and it really showed in the last game aswell...
Yeah, I wish for it as well. But I just don't expect it to happen.

Back a decade or two ago when skating camps and coaching became more sophisticated I had heard of NHL players improving their skating quite a bit. Because some of them had never had that high quality instruction, and just learned skating by trial and error. And some of the video stuff made coaching better then ever. But now, guys like Wilson and Franson have had high quality coaching on skating technique for years. I think most of their limitations are physical. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Back in the early days of the franchise we had tough guy/goon Patrick Cote for a season. That summer he went overseas somewhere, Sweden or something, to get coaching and said the whole off-season was spent working on his skating because he knew it was not up to par. He said he'd made big improvements. Well, that season he looked about the same as ever to my eyes, which wasn't great, lol. He was shortly out of the NHL.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:14 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post

oh you can improve your skating. it all depends on your drive to do so. not only can you tweak the stride to make it better....especially skating backwards but you can also work on strength and foot speed. that is the type of stuff that the strength and conditioning coach can improve on.

Hartnell got a skating coach one summer and it helped him.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:47 AM
glenngineer

Franson may not get much faster but with experience will come better positioning and getting beat less because of it. The pace is much faster in the NHL than the AHL and considering he's a rookie, he's done well to adapt and his partners have helped him when he has gotten burned. If he picks up a little speed with the experience he's gaining, he'll be fine. His one big advantage is his tremendous reach. That will also be a huge asset to him.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Franson may not get much faster but with experience will come better positioning and getting beat less because of it. The pace is much faster in the NHL than the AHL and considering he's a rookie, he's done well to adapt and his partners have helped him when he has gotten burned. If he picks up a little speed with the experience he's gaining, he'll be fine. His one big advantage is his tremendous reach. That will also be a huge asset to him.
It's hard to compare guys when they're not out on the ice together in the same situation, but when Traffic Cone was here, a guy with equal sloooowness to Franson, being burned was dead. It seems like when Franson gets burned, there is either a little better recovery or his partner (as you point out) is covering for him making it not seem as bad. It's also possible, that his reach (again, as you point out) is both altering slightly the angle and speed of the attacker and altering the ending of the play by increasing Franson's sphere of defensive influence upon recovery in the play. I think he'll be fine with time to develop and as long as he has a complimentary d partner..

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:50 AM
glenngineer

sphere of defensive influence? that's awesome. is that a technical term or something you just made up because I love it.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:45 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
i was actually thinking about next season D pairings and well i would love to see

Weber-Suter
Bouillon-Klein
Franson-Blum <- Start grooming them into next Weber-Suter

Thats the thing about Franson. He has a lot of potential of being another bigger Weber. He has a great shot, good stick skills for his big frame and really good on defense. And if im correct I think he is the highest on the team in plus/minus. +14 i think.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
sphere of defensive influence? that's awesome. is that a technical term or something you just made up because I love it.

Stream of consciousness......one does not question the creative process.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post

Stream of consciousness......one does not question the creative process.
That was awesome.....

In fact, your whole post was very eloquent! I think it describes Franson to a T.

03-29-2010, 07:50 PM
JFJ fan212*

How is the Admirals doing this year? Maybe Blum will be up during the playoffs?

JFJ fan212* is offline   Reply With Quote