HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#73: Flyers @ Senators - March 23, 2010 - 7:30 PM (ET)

Old
03-24-2010, 02:19 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Doesn't matter who it is. 7 minutes of power play in a row (especially considering the one was a major and could have been devastating) is a great kill whether it's against the 1992-93 Senators or the 2006-07 Senators.
Yes, it is. And it's something that could have been a momentum changer. Unfortunately it wasn't as the Flyers can't seem to solve the enigma that is Brian Elliott.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 02:20 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
That's not really true. I could say if you don't score on a 7 minute power play immediately after scoring a goal at even strength, you don't deserve to win. A lot went wrong last night, scoring on the 5 on 3 was only part of it. Elliot played really well too, and of course, Boosh let in at least one softy, two depending on who you talk to. It was a team effort to lose last night and it didn't help that the refs made such poor calls.
You can say that too if you want. Did I say that either team deserved that win? Deserving to win and winning are 2 different things.

Deciding if someone deserved to win is not a true or false statement. It is a matter of opinion.

I feel not scoring on a full 5-3 is more crucial then a 7min PP. 7min PP is 3.5 PPs technically and scoring one would give them 1/3.5 ~ 29% success rate. If you have a 25% success rate you are number one in the league and the average is probably below 20%.

Quote:
Try and look at it on the positive side. Yeah we lost. But the Flyers got royally screwed on a non call and a goal being waved off and still were in it most of the game. They got 26 shots off, which is nothing special but they did that while killing of a seven minute power play. That game could have been a lot worse (See Washington v. Philadelphia, Dec. 5, 2009). The bottom line is these guys are still in the playoffs (for now) and need to right this ship before it gets out of hand.
I was never being pessimistic about future games. Ottawa has just come of a 6 game losing streak? Any they are back at #5.

There is a difference with being critical and pessimistic.

Edit: The first goal I would blame on the horrible defensive play. I think Parent? Never decided to either take the player or the pass. Also Richards got greedy and went for a hit that took him out of the play, and not on Boosh.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...0092010,2,1083 (Play starts at 1:07, see what Richards decision was)

2nd goal, the team stopped playing after the non-call again not on Boosh.

Last edited by KimiFerrari: 03-24-2010 at 02:33 PM.
KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
This might come out wrong bc im on my phone but the flyers players need to chill about the refs. Now that its the next day its time to be in perspective. Its ok if we complain as fans but they need to be cool. They got away easy recently in games not called strict. Carcillo going on wip and complaining is ********. He drew a 5 on 3 and got off scot free and the flyers did nothing. I know why he did it but Just what we need is a team notorious for penalties complaining in the press. If gagne is pissed or laviolette says something thats fine since he usually doesnt, and he only talked about the gagne hit (i didnt read the flyers.com link yet). but its just more excuses. Pronger did the right thing, he just went "yeah, but still we played like crap." theyre just put themselves out there and if officials do take notice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Is anyone besides me glad that someone is finally addressing the situation with the refs and their rep calls? I'm sick of being a fairly clean team who gets officiated like we're still the Bullies. As far as retribution from the officials goes....we're not going to get treated fairly from them regardless, Haven't as long as I've watched them. I'd rather see Carcillo blow up in the media than on the ice.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 02:25 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Is anyone besides me glad that someone is finally addressing the situation with the refs and their rep calls? I'm sick of being a fairly clean team who gets officiated like we're still the Bullies. As far as retribution from the officials goes....we're not going to get treated fairly from them regardless, Haven't as long as I've watched them. I'd rather see Carcillo blow up in the media than on the ice.
am glad he spoke out, however it needs to come from the owner or gm in real bad way. It tells the players you have their back. Otherwise they may think oh its ok then, even if they are spoken to behind closed doors. Now is the perfect time to rip into the officiating and the league if I was snider. The media have been all over the nhl and him going off could set a positive tone and chain of events going forward.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

i was really hoping that snider would come out and say something, since this is the third blatant goal this team has been shafted out of this season

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Denis Vial

I'm not trolling or anything here, but an organization speaking out about officiating is a terrible idea. Officials seem to be very vindictive, better to pass the game video quietly to the NHL.

Denis Vial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 02:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Vial View Post
I'm not trolling or anything here, but an organization speaking out about officiating is a terrible idea. Officials seem to be very vindictive, better to pass the game video quietly to the NHL.
this is how it should be done. I get it if youre mad sometimes right after the game, but to go around on the radio and such that never gets the job done when other people do it, they just end up having it out for you and carcillo doesnt need that he's worked hard to get the refs off his back
Posted via Mobile Device

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Centauris*

Quote:
this is how it should be done. I get it if youre mad sometimes right after the game, but to go around on the radio and such that never gets the job done when other people do it, they just end up having it out for you and carcillo doesnt need that he's worked hard to get the refs off his back
Posted via Mobile Device
I disagree.. it will continue happening. They need to be vocal about this ********.

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:24 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
it's not like the refs can hate Carcillo any more than they do now though

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Edit: The first goal I would blame on the horrible defensive play. I think Parent? Never decided to either take the player or the pass. Also Richards got greedy and went for a hit that took him out of the play, and not on Boosh.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...0092010,2,1083 (Play starts at 1:07, see what Richards decision was)
There were several screw ups, but Richards was not on the ice so he can't be blamed.

Giroux lost his footing on a futile forecheck and crashed into the boards. Hartnell was in deep too.

Parent tried to pinch down the boards but got caught. Trying to be a bit too aggressive.

Briere was the forward who stayed back, and it was his bad decision to go for the hit that resulted in the clean 2 on 1.

Second game in a row Danny was largely responsible for the all-important first goal against (failed to cover his point vs. Atlanta).

Bartulis played the pass well, but could have cut off the centre of the ice on Kelly better to give him less of a shooting angle.

Boosh's job is to take the shot and leave the pass for Oskars. He backed into the net and got beat by the shot.

Granted it was a great shot right in the corner, but it would be nice to get that save. Esp. when he has a good glove hand and none of our players are capable of hitting the corner with a shot like that lately.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Yes, the refs played a part. But the Flyers put themselves in a position to let them play that part.
This is exactly correct.

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Did I miss something? I know Carcillo said stuff immediately after the game (when emotions were high), but did he continue today or something?

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
There were several screw ups, but Richards was not on the ice so he can't be blamed.

Giroux lost his footing on a futile forecheck and crashed into the boards. Hartnell was in deep too.

Parent tried to pinch down the boards but got caught. Trying to be a bit too aggressive.

Briere was the forward who stayed back, and it was his bad decision to go for the hit that resulted in the clean 2 on 1.

Second game in a row Danny was largely responsible for the all-important first goal against (failed to cover his point vs. Atlanta).

Bartulis played the pass well, but could have cut off the centre of the ice on Kelly better to give him less of a shooting angle.

Boosh's job is to take the shot and leave the pass for Oskars. He backed into the net and got beat by the shot.

Granted it was a great shot right in the corner, but it would be nice to get that save. Esp. when he has a good glove hand and none of our players are capable of hitting the corner with a shot like that lately.
Eh, that shot beats a butterfly goalie like Boosh 9x out of 10.

I would love to hear Briere explain why his midget *** was going for a mid-ice hit like that.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 03:39 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:

OK I got the numbers mixed up (48 looked like 18), the replay before showed Richards making that pass to Gagne and skips to the goal, and for some reason I thought Richards.

And yea Bartulis not Parent.

I am not a Boucher defender, just look at the last GDT. But I don't think that goal was a weak goal. It was a strong shot and there where many defensive laps before that lead to it.

Last edited by KimiFerrari: 03-24-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old
03-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Eh, that shot beats a butterfly goalie like Boosh 9x out of 10.

I would love to hear Briere explain why his midget *** was going for a mid-ice hit like that.
Let me try:

Well, I could have just stayed on the wall, turned around and taken Kelly, but that would mean skating backwards and potentially having to block a shot. You saw what happened to Carter. I decided to veer across the ice, leave Oskars in the lurch and go for the big hit. It's what I do. I'm a killer. And, no, for the umpteenth time, I'm not waiving my NMC....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Garbage Goal

It's funny. When I heard that somebody went for the hit and caused the 2-on-1 I thought to myself "It's probably Briere because he sucks at defense and he's always on for the first ES goal against."

Then I though to myself "Oh, wait a minute, Briere is a midget so there's a snowballs chance in hell that he tried to hit anybody."

Then I find out my first instinct was right. Briere is so horrible.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

haha, it would have been downright hilarious if briere went for the hit, got completely trucked, and they scored anyways.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
Let me try:

Well, I could have just stayed on the wall, turned around and taken Kelly, but that would mean skating backwards and potentially having to block a shot. You saw what happened to Carter. I decided to veer across the ice, leave Oskars in the lurch and go for the big hit. It's what I do. I'm a killer. And, no, for the umpteenth time, I'm not waiving my NMC....
The worst part about that play is I swear if you watch Bartulis he has an "OK, we're alright" posture when the play starts...then Briere goes bat**** and there's a moment of "WTF was that?!?" and tries to get himself into position.

The homer crew trying to defend Briere was great too.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I think the shot by Kelly...sometimes the nod goes to the shooter. Looked perfectly placed to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
This is exactly correct.

Did I miss something? I know Carcillo said stuff immediately after the game (when emotions were high), but did he continue today or something?
Someone said he was on the radio.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
03-24-2010, 05:48 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2373
These are quotes from today including Carcillo:

http://www.csnphilly.com/03/24/10/Fl...610&feedID=695

Quote:
Carcillo, incidentally, said the same thing. That Volchenkov drove him into the boards with a flying elbow that left him dazed when he got up from the ice.

“Gagne, he clearly had his back to [Volchenkov] and he pushed him toward the boards,” Laperriere continued. “These are dangerous hits we don’t want to see in our game.”

Carcillo said on WIP that the officials determined the outcome of the game, although you can make a strong counter argument that the Flyers were again dispassionate in their play and seemed unconcerned that they could blow it and fail to make the playoffs if they don’t turn their stretch run around.

Now, as for Volchenkov…

“They took a lot of runs at us,” Carcillo said. “With everything [the league] says, they say they want to crack down on it. It just didn’t seem they were doing a very good job of it. It was a frustrating game.”

Gagne’s most memorable altercation came on Feb. 24, 2001, when he dislocated his left shoulder throwing a punch at Tampa Bay’s Andrei Zyuzin. He said after that he would try not to fight again.

“I was using the other hand, other shoulder and not the left one [against Volchenkov],” Gagne said, laughing. “I was going more with the right one. Maybe I was conscious the left one wasn’t as good as the right one the last time.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauris View Post
I disagree.. it will continue happening. They need to be vocal about this ********.
Sometimes it does happen. I've found going to media about it typically paints you as a whiner and turns the refs against you, that's what I've seen in my experiences watching games around the league. They'll make an example of you.

I understand why you do it as a player, but I've very rarely if ever see that work out. Your coaches are usually the ones who work the refs.

Old
03-24-2010, 05:51 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The worst part about that play is I swear if you watch Bartulis he has an "OK, we're alright" posture when the play starts...then Briere goes bat**** and there's a moment of "WTF was that?!?" and tries to get himself into position.

The homer crew trying to defend Briere was great too.
This is what I thought. Bartulis was seeing Briere skating back and was thinking I'll play the shooter, then all of a sudden a wide open 2 on 1.

Old
03-24-2010, 06:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

With Timmy's words (not written as direct quote though), to claim "the officials determined the outcome of the game" is taking a profound lack of responsibility/accountability.

Old
03-24-2010, 06:11 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Well.. even though they scored on us and we got a 7 min powerplay. It was pretty funny when Gagne beat the **** out of Volchenkov. Didnt he curl into a ball or something? lol

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Pancho Lefty*

What happened to the thread on the main board? Anyway, anyone who didn't think the puck was behind the line needs to have their drivers license revoked immediately, for they are not only a danger to the hockey world, but to drivers everywhere as well.

Pancho Lefty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
I think the shot by Kelly...sometimes the nod goes to the shooter. Looked perfectly placed to me.

Someone said he was on the radio.
Ah. I thought everyone was referencing his interview on WIP immediately after the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
These are quotes from today including Carcillo:

http://www.csnphilly.com/03/24/10/Fl...610&feedID=695
Like this... was this after the game or today? Not that it matters. The refs sucked but we still had an opportunity to win the game.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote