HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Canucks sign Prab Rai

Old
03-24-2010, 06:43 PM
hefsbeaver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
A junior hockey career represent a very narrow window of opportunity to make an impression with NHL scouts. Rai was playing behind Dana Tyrell, Eric Hunter, Nick Drazenovic, Greg Gardner and even Evan Fuller and felt he wasn't getting a chance in PG. The coach was fired 15 games into the season and with the train wreck of a season unfolding, Rai's father pulled him off the team. Can you really blame a 16 year old when his father says "this isn't working, come home"? His production exploded along with his ice time after being traded to Seattle - an arguable less talented team with better coaching. As an undrafted player, the chances of making an NHL roster would have become infinitely longer and I am pretty confident that if he had not left PG he would not have been drafted.
I agree that he probably would not have made it. My point is that I want my players to have enough heart to try and turn a bad situation around. Most of the players you named left within a year so if he stays and works hard he becomes a top line player. In saying all of that I do not believe at the time that the coaching staff in PG would have done anything for anyone. I am not saying it was a bad personal reason just saying I would like my players to show more character and work through hardships not just quit when the going gets tough. Had he stayed he would have been on a line with Conelly and been very productive.

hefsbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 07:08 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefsbeaver View Post
I agree that he probably would not have made it. My point is that I want my players to have enough heart to try and turn a bad situation around. Most of the players you named left within a year so if he stays and works hard he becomes a top line player. In saying all of that I do not believe at the time that the coaching staff in PG would have done anything for anyone. I am not saying it was a bad personal reason just saying I would like my players to show more character and work through hardships not just quit when the going gets tough. Had he stayed he would have been on a line with Conelly and been very productive.
IMO that isn't realistic for the majority of "people" out there. Keep in mind that we're not talking about a blue-chipper here - he's a young hockey player trying to create a career for himself, and like the overwhelming majority of such players, they need things to fall into perfect situations for them to achieve those goals.

Rai was much more likely to not have been drafted had he stuck it out in PG, and when you're already starting from a disadvantaged spot (not being a bluechipper), he needs every advantage he can create to just have a shot at making it. Again we're talking about a kid trying to make a career coming in as a long-shot. This isn't the same as an everyday NHLer who demands a trade to another team because he doesn't like the situation he's in.

And it's not about character. Not that I know Rai and can comment on his character accurately... just with this situation, without knowing *all* the facts and options he had, it's just not fair at all to question his character when the decision made was critical to whether he still had a chance to earn a playing career - at any level.

Now, in hindsight, there's no doubt that he made the right choice for himself and his career. He's earned being drafted, earned a contract and now a shot at making it, after being moved to a team that put him in the right situations to develop as a player, which he wasn't getting in PG. Meanwhile, over in PG, how's their program been looking?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 07:37 PM
LongRoad

Are people really questioning his decision to leave Prince George? Take Edmonton, remove the mall, shrink it down and add a rotten-egg odor caused by carcinogens into the air and you've got Prince George. If anything I applaud him for the decision.

LongRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Scouter

vCash: 10732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
That is not correct.
Doubt it, care to say why it is not correct then?

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathansPost View Post
Are people really questioning his decision to leave Prince George? Take Edmonton, remove the mall, shrink it down and add a rotten-egg odor caused by carcinogens into the air and you've got Prince George. If anything I applaud him for the decision.
Nobody's disagreeing with you on that point, apart from possibly Mr. 'investigate 9-11'.

Prince George is a festering ****-hole with a moribund junior hockey team run by a cruddy owner and clueless GM, but Rai could have handled that situation better. He came off as a brat.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 09:13 PM
LongRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
Nobody's disagreeing with you on that point, apart from possibly Mr. 'investigate 9-11'.

Prince George is a festering ****-hole with a moribund junior hockey team run by a cruddy owner and clueless GM, but Rai could have handled that situation better. He came off as a brat.
Fair enough, I shudder at the thought of someone judging me based on how I acted at the ripe old age of 16 though.

Old
03-24-2010, 09:25 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Steve Anthony is the better later round center prospect, IMO. Hopefully they sign him after the Q playoffs this season or next.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:17 PM
The Cowboy Poet

Quote:
Quote:

Alright, I have to stop you guys right there. Not only are you both sounding incredibly rude but ignorant too. I was born in Vancouver, grew up there, moved to Prince George, moved back to Vancouver for school, and am finally back in PG. I would chose Prince George over metro-Vancouver any day of the week. Maybe you guys should shut up and respect the north. Thanks. I could say a lot worse things about Surrey.
Now, the junior team, yeah, that's kind of a mess.

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:30 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
Newsflash, GM's don't sign their own draft picks to contracts just to be farm club pluggers, they sign any ole free agent hanging around for that, it's a waste of a contract anyway if they don't think much of the player, they might as well deal the pick.
Quote:
Doubt it, care to say why it is not correct then?
News Flash. Your logic is flawed. You act as if Gillis is all-knowing and GMs around the league can predict the future. They cannot and no one can predict the future development of any player, no matter how talented they are. They will not know if a certain player will ever make the NHL or not. This is why these types of contracts are handed out.

They are given to players that have shown that they have some potential as well as room for development, not because they are a sure-thing to make it to the NHL as you have argued. It is not a waste of a contract because every prospect has value and you get to control the player's development at your farm club and watch their progress, much closer than if they played else where.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:41 PM
LongRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cowboy Poet View Post
Alright, I have to stop you guys right there. Not only are you both sounding incredibly rude but ignorant too. I was born in Vancouver, grew up there, moved to Prince George, moved back to Vancouver for school, and am finally back in PG. I would chose Prince George over metro-Vancouver any day of the week. Maybe you guys should shut up and respect the north. Thanks. I could say a lot worse things about Surrey.
Now, the junior team, yeah, that's kind of a mess.
...and I wouldn't.

I lived there for a year. You couldn't pay me enough to live there again. I don't think anything I said was inaccurate either. Well, maybe cheering him on for leaving wasn't very nice.

Old
03-24-2010, 10:49 PM
The Cowboy Poet

Quote:
...and I wouldn't.

I lived there for a year. You couldn't pay me enough to live there again. I don't think anything I said was inaccurate either. Well, maybe cheering him on for leaving wasn't very nice.
It's your attitude (and more so the other guys). Edmonton's not too bad either (except, of course, the Oilers). Vancouverite's have a reputation for an arrogant attitude, and this was a great example.

Some people just aren't cut out for real winters I guess.

Old
03-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
I would chose Prince George over metro-Vancouver any day of the week. Maybe you guys should shut up and respect the north. Thanks. I could say a lot worse things about Surrey.
You could say worse things about Surrey - most people on this board have - but that doesn't make them true. There's certainly a 'centre of the universe' attitude in the Lower Mainland, but this is the economic engine of the province. Perhaps I came off a little harsh on PG, but the people I know who have lived here haven't stayed long.

Heck, Prab Rai chose to stay with his family in Surrey and not play, rather than play in PG. Doesn't make him any less of a brat, but it's food for thought.

The sooner the Cougars move out of Prince George the better. A lot of bridges have been burned in that town by ownership. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear the Brodsky's are selling.

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:57 PM
LongRoad

Quote:
It's your attitude (and more so the other guys). Edmonton's not too bad either (except, of course, the Oilers). Vancouverite's have a reputation for an arrogant attitude, and this was a great example.

Or some people don't enjoy the smell of sulfur half the week.

Old
03-24-2010, 11:29 PM
The Cowboy Poet

Quote:
The sooner the Cougars move out of Prince George the better. A lot of bridges have been burned in that town by ownership. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear the Brodsky's are selling.
Cougars just renewed their lease at CN Centre. They're not going anywhere. The ownership is crap, the GM is even worse, and we can't get rid of him (he's married into the family). But they do have a good young core, so we'll see what happens in these next two seasons.
Quote:
See, I hear that from people who haven't spent a ton of time here often. The last time I noticed the smell was probably in the 90s.

It's ironic, I hear people from the Lower Mainland compare about Toronto and the rest of Ontario acting like they're the centre of the universe, but they have the exact same attitude to everywhere else in their province (minus maybe the Island).

Old
03-25-2010, 01:03 AM
JerkChicken

Quote:
I'm guessing that the year you lived in PG, you never really left your house much, because there is much more to the city & area than that.

Anyways, regardless of what you or anyone thinks of PG, if you're a 16 year old, & you're demanding ice time that you haven't earned yet - you're out of line. It doesn't matter if Rai loved the city of Prince George, or he hated it... he went about his situation the wrong way. From all accounts, his attitude on & off the ice was less than stellar (to put it simply). Hopefully it's improved since then.

Quote:
Maybe it was your upper lip that you were smelling?

Last edited by JerkChicken: 03-25-2010 at 01:08 AM.
JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:33 AM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
News Flash. Your logic is flawed. You act as if Gillis is all-knowing and GMs around the league can predict the future. They cannot and no one can predict the future development of any player, no matter how talented they are. They will not know if a certain player will ever make the NHL or not. This is why these types of contracts are handed out.

They are given to players that have shown that they have some potential as well as room for development, not because they are a sure-thing to make it to the NHL as you have argued. It is not a waste of a contract because every prospect has value and you get to control the player's development at your farm club and watch their progress, much closer than if they played else where.
I never said that they were sure things, I am saying that some people around here are saying that guys like Rai who get contracts have barely any or no chance of making it, which is not the case.

If a draft pick gets a contract the GM obviously thinks the player has what it takes to make the NHL, draft picks are now more valuble in the new era, so they won't be giving out contracts to them lightly.

If Gillis thought Rai wasn't that good he would have tried to trade him, or let his rights go.

Last edited by Scouter: 03-25-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old
03-25-2010, 02:18 AM
rye&ginger

Vancouver is the Toronto of BC. Its gonna get hated and loved by people in BC who dont live there.

Toronto is the ****hole by the lake.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:36 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
For those who say that Rai doesn't look like he will make the NHL, Gillis clearly disagrees and knows more, otherwise he would not have given him a contract.
By this statement, you do effectively say that Gillis thinks Rai will make the NHL and that is why the contract is given. This implies that you are saying he is a pretty close to a sure-thing to make the NHL because you believe Gillis thinks so.

There is always a possibility that every prospect can make the NHL and be an impact player there, albeit a slim chance for 5th round picks. For that slim possibility, GMs hand out contracts to these players. Some prospects take that opportunity and run with it and eventually become good players (Bieksa, another 5th round choice). Some just become progressively worse like Ellington has, after they sign these contracts.

If Gillis let him go, we essentially lost a prospect, which no matter what his skill level is, is an asset to the organization. I really don't know what you think we could have gotten by trading Rai straight up with any team.

I think you should have some more viewings of Rai. The fact is that our main exposure to him has been the prospect camps, where his play has a major disconnect with the performances he put up in the WHL. He has looked worse than many of our "long-shot" prospects, even Anthony and Gendur showed some more potential there. I believe this is the cause for the mixed emotions about him. Add into that the type of game he plays, on the perimeter and being another under-sized forward. Many realize it will take a long time for him to develop the missing aspects of his game before he can make an impact in the NHL.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:40 AM
DanyHeatleyfnAllstar
French Coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I heard of this chiropractor in the Washington DC area who apparently has some connections...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032302421.html
lol

He should have gone into medicine instead. Then he probably wouldn't have had to sell steroids on the side.

DanyHeatleyfnAllstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:58 AM
Kin33

Quote:

The north sucks. I live in Fort St John and can't wait till I finally have enough money saved to move back to Vancouver and continue school.

I will say the money up here for an uneducated/unskilled worker is just insane. Unfortunately Prince George doesn't have that advantage.

Kin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:04 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
I never said that they were sure things, I am saying that some people around here are saying that guys like Rai who get contracts have barely any or no chance of making it, which is not the case.

If a draft pick gets a contract the GM obviously thinks the player has what it takes to make the NHL, draft picks are now more valuble in the new era, so they won't be giving out contracts to them lightly.

If Gillis thought Rai wasn't that good he would have tried to trade him, or let his rights go.
I disagree with this as well. Rai getting a contract doesn't mean that Gillis thinks he's going to make it... all it means is that he has a chance to make it.

Do you really think that Gillis thought that Keller Tochkin was going to make the NHL when he gave him a contract after passing through the draft? He got a contract because the club felt he has some upside and could develop into an asset - the same is true for any other pick that gets a contract. And often times these guys get contracts because they could of some use to the organization at some level - even if they are going to be more helpful to Manitoba than they would ever be to the Canucks.

Old
03-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Zanon

If this guy ever cracks the Canucks' roster, Surrey's gonna become flooded with Prab Rai jerseys, lol.

Zanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:39 AM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I disagree with this as well. Rai getting a contract doesn't mean that Gillis thinks he's going to make it... all it means is that he has a chance to make it.
Do you really think that Gillis thought that Keller Tochkin was going to make the NHL when he gave him a contract after passing through the draft? He got a contract because the club felt he has some upside and could develop into an asset - the same is true for any other pick that gets a contract. And often times these guys get contracts because they could of some use to the organization at some level - even if they are going to be more helpful to Manitoba than they would ever be to the Canucks.
No offense or anything, but did you not read the post properly, because that's what I said.

I don't know about that, if Manitoba wants to sign guys who they think will be useful they will, why would the nucks waste contracts on guys like these for the most part, take a guy like Matt Pope, he was 1st signed by the Moose, but then the nucks saw him and decided that he had NHL potential, so they signed him, they did not have to sign him as he was already playing for the Moose and being a normal farmhand, but the nucks obviously see something more in him.

Last edited by Scouter: 03-26-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old
03-26-2010, 01:37 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
No offense or anything, but did you not read the post properly, because that's what I said.

I don't know about that, if Manitoba wants to sign guys who they think will be useful they will, why would the nucks waste contracts on guys like these for the most part, take a guy like Matt Pope, he was 1st signed by the Moose, but then the nucks saw him and decided that he had NHL potential, so they signed him, they did not have to sign him as he was already playing for the Moose and being a normal farmhand, but the nucks obviously see something more in him.
or maybe if they didn't sign him, another team would, and he would be on their AHL roster instead.

The Canucks could have just signed him to make sure he plays on the Moose and not another farm team. The same could be true for Rai... maybe all they project for him is a solid AHLer, but if they don't sign him - and hope that Manitoba will, as a UFA he could be signed by another NHL organization and play on their farm team instead.

Keep in mind that players signed by AHL teams are still available for all other NHL teams to sign, and if they do they become property of that team, and can therefore be moved to those farm teams instead. By the Canucks signing said player, he's guaranteed to be in the system where the Canucks want him to be, and not subject to a contract offer by another organization.

Old
03-26-2010, 01:51 PM
RobertKron

Also, a 20 year old drafted player coming straight from the WHL is a lot more likely to be snapped up than a 24 year old undrafted ECHLer, which might be why the didn't feel that urgency with Pope.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote