HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around Hockey V (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
The Phoenix Coyotes are now just 2 points away from being the West's #1 team, amazing considering everything they've went through. Dave Tippett wasn't even hired until the last week of training camp, and he's probably the Jack Adams favorite.
Hopefully the fans show up for their playoff games.

Last edited by Timeless Winter: 03-20-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old
03-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Don Cherry was just complaining about how they are such a good team this year and yet they still can't fill the arena. Naturally he used this as proof that hockey won't work down there and they need to relocate. Honestly, I can't say I really disagree at this point.

Old
03-21-2010, 07:00 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

What is going on here?

All kinds of last second insanity in the last few days.

As impressive as it is...is it sad that I'm just glad it hasn't happened to us?

Old
03-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Don't look now, but the Sharks have lost 6 in a row. Maybe they're just trying to get the choking out of the system a little early this season?

Old
03-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Selanne got goal #600 tonight.

Congrats to him. Always been a pretty big fan.

03-21-2010, 11:12 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Don't look now, but the Sharks have lost 6 in a row. Maybe they're just trying to get the choking out of the system a little early this season?
That or practicing the choke for when it counts.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:29 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Don Cherry was just complaining about how they are such a good team this year and yet they still can't fill the arena. Naturally he used this as proof that hockey won't work down there and they need to relocate. Honestly, I can't say I really disagree at this point.
It isn't that hockey cannot succeed in Phoenix. It is that the business people and politicians screwed the situation up as much as humanly possible. And for people in Phoenix, it is hard to get too excited about "your" team when there is not guaranty that it will be "your" team beyond this season.

They put the Arena outside of the city's population center instead of a site that was available near Scottsdale in order to boost a real estate development that is looking more and more like a failure. Problem two--much like in Columbus--they are a two arena town. Problem three--much like Atlanta, they have to compete with an established NBA franchise for the city's entertainment dollars made worse that, unlike Atlanta, the NBA franchise plays at a competing arena. Then there is a poorly negotiated arena lease that doesn't give the Coyotes revenue streams other teams have (sound familiar?). I don't think is fair to castigate the citizens of Greater Phoenix for this clusterf. It is not that they are incapable of supporting hockey as far as I am concerned. It is that they are unable of supporting hockey under the set of circumstances described above. It is a real shame that the lease wasn't voided in bankruptcy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I'm starting to cynically wonder if the cowards were afraid they'd draw Detroit in the first round if they finish #1 or #2 in the Conference and are tanking in order to get an opponent more to their liking. No matter, they'll be out before the Conference Finals. Looks like I may have been right about them losing the Pacific, even if I had the wrong team ahead of them.

Old
03-22-2010, 10:02 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Anyone else see this insane stuff Freddy Norrena pulled in a SEL playoff game? He gives an angry jab to some guys face at the end of the play and sends the guy off the ice for repairs. Bloody mess and Freddy is tossed? I'm not sure what's happening here.

Old
03-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Anyone else see this insane stuff Freddy Norrena pulled in a SEL playoff game? He gives an angry jab to some guys face at the end of the play and sends the guy off the ice for repairs. Bloody mess and Freddy is tossed? I'm not sure what's happening here.

That was nothin'.

Old
03-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Skraut

Norrena was a bit of a hot head and that's what I always liked about him. He wasn't Hextall crazy awesome, but was out there a bit more.

But that was uncalled for.

Old
03-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Drew Doughty is going to be the best defenseman in the league sooner than later.

Old
03-23-2010, 01:36 AM
Handyy

Quote:
For me it didn't look as bad as what the result was. Norrena is aggressive protecting his 'turf', as the player was coming his way pretty fast.

He did get a three game suspension out of it.

Old
03-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Feicht

Quote:

That was amazing... I'm sure it looked a lot worse than it really was

Old
03-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Feicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
It isn't that hockey cannot succeed in Phoenix. It is that the business people and politicians screwed the situation up as much as humanly possible. And for people in Phoenix, it is hard to get too excited about "your" team when there is not guaranty that it will be "your" team beyond this season.

They put the Arena outside of the city's population center instead of a site that was available near Scottsdale in order to boost a real estate development that is looking more and more like a failure. Problem two--much like in Columbus--they are a two arena town. Problem three--much like Atlanta, they have to compete with an established NBA franchise for the city's entertainment dollars made worse that, unlike Atlanta, the NBA franchise plays at a competing arena. Then there is a poorly negotiated arena lease that doesn't give the Coyotes revenue streams other teams have (sound familiar?). I don't think is fair to castigate the citizens of Greater Phoenix for this clusterf. It is not that they are incapable of supporting hockey as far as I am concerned. It is that they are unable of supporting hockey under the set of circumstances described above. It is a real shame that the lease wasn't voided in bankruptcy.
Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the "development" of areas like Phoenix and Las Vegas to begin with so I guess it's fair to say that I am slightly biased. I mean Phoenix can't even really support it's own burgeoning population, let alone a hockey team

Really though, you've got good points about the bungling of the whole situation. But it seems to me that in the 90s, teams were uprooted for far less cluster****ery stuff than what has been going on with some of these southern teams (and in some ways, even us) lately. The NHL just seems deadset to not be proven wrong in their expansion goals of the 90s and are pulling out all the stops to keep their sunbelt teams in place.

Old
03-23-2010, 12:39 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Really though, you've got good points about the bungling of the whole situation. But it seems to me that in the 90s, teams were uprooted for far less cluster****ery stuff than what has been going on with some of these southern teams (and in some ways, even us) lately. The NHL just seems deadset to not be proven wrong in their expansion goals of the 90s and are pulling out all the stops to keep their sunbelt teams in place.
Perhaps the NHL is dead set on not pulling out of these places because it is in the best interests of the sport. The phenomenal growth of youth hockey in Texas and California, for example, are good things for the long-term health of the sport. And the TV revenue is not going to increase by retrenching back into the cocoon of Canada--do you think NBC is going to be thrilled about a Hamilton versus Quebec City Finals?

Old
03-24-2010, 08:35 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

My favorite matchup in the NHL, Pittsburgh vs. Washington, about to go to a shootout of epicness on NHL Network (free preview tonight).

Old
03-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
My favorite matchup in the NHL, Pittsburgh vs. Washington, about to go to a shootout of epicness on NHL Network (free preview tonight).
My favorite matchup as well, but the shootout is always a downer for me Glad the Caps managed to come back for the win, though.

Old
03-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Renion

In a highlight for the Kings vs. Avs game, there was a kid in the audience wearing the old Jackets jersey. Weeeeeird.

(Poor kid. Your whole life's ahead of you!)

Old
03-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
In a highlight for the Kings vs. Avs game, there was a kid in the audience wearing the old Jackets jersey. Weeeeeird.

(Poor kid. Your whole life's ahead of you!)
Foote's kid. I hear Adam makes his boys wear an old CBJ sweater when they misbehave and then the rest of the family stands round and "boos" the kid for a full 60minutes before finally taking the child to a public place where strangers are directed to snicker and point fingers at them.

Hockey players are such kooks.

Old
03-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Feicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Perhaps the NHL is dead set on not pulling out of these places because it is in the best interests of the sport. The phenomenal growth of youth hockey in Texas and California, for example, are good things for the long-term health of the sport. And the TV revenue is not going to increase by retrenching back into the cocoon of Canada--do you think NBC is going to be thrilled about a Hamilton versus Quebec City Finals?
Fair enough, but honestly I'm not really sure that American ignorance of geography should be the measuring stick of success for the NHL. I don't really see how Hamilton vs Quebec would be any worse ratings-wise than Phoenix vs Atlanta would be (an outside possibility for this year). I am not by any means a Don Cherry-esque, "Canadians only!" hockey guy, but I also don't see the point in trying to artificially cultivate the sport in the four corners of America in places where it obviously doesn't seem to really be going anywhere. The one thing I will agree with Cherry on is that the intrinsic love of the game is just always going to be stronger (at least statistically) in places where people grow up playing it outside in winter and whatnot. That's not to say there aren't great programs around our country for development purposes right now, but any hopes of turning Phoenix into the next Ottawa are surely for naught.

Old
03-25-2010, 06:34 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,229968

Some light at the end of the tunnel for CBJ fans perhaps? Campbell may be on his last last as league discipline czar and might leave the league entirely

http://www.truthandrumours.net/2010/...s-nhl-sheriff/

And above is the article, William Huston bashing Campbell and on this being a great development... Houston describes him as a thug and says that Bettman defers everything to Campbell and his team because he's the experienced Hockey Guy...

At last something might be going our way, Campbell is a dinosaur that some have speculated might have a personal beef with the Jackets Franchise as he was turned down on at least two occasions to interview for high level hockey operations positions.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 03-25-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old
03-25-2010, 06:53 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Foote's kid. I hear Adam makes his boys wear an old CBJ sweater when they misbehave and then the rest of the family stands round and "boos" the kid for a full 60minutes before finally taking the child to a public place where strangers are directed to snicker and point fingers at them.

Hockey players are such kooks.

Old
03-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Feicht

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...elocation.html

THN's Ken Campbell talks about possible franchise relocation. If what he says about Balsillie is true, it seems baffling to me that the league has been so adamant about keeping him out of the league's ownership when he's willing to vastly overpay for any franchise...

Anyway according to the article, Phoenix, Nashville and Atlanta are on the radar with Winnipeg, KC, and Seattle as potential destinations. Could be an interesting couple of years.

Old
03-26-2010, 08:34 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...elocation.html

THN's Ken Campbell talks about possible franchise relocation. If what he says about Balsillie is true, it seems baffling to me that the league has been so adamant about keeping him out of the league's ownership when he's willing to vastly overpay for any franchise...

Anyway according to the article, Phoenix, Nashville and Atlanta are on the radar with Winnipeg, KC, and Seattle as potential destinations. Could be an interesting couple of years.
Outside of Nashville moving to KC, they would have to do some Divisional Tweaking. I would be perfectly fine with any kind of divisional tweaking, granted they kept it regional.

Old
03-26-2010, 10:41 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If what he says about Balsillie is true, it seems baffling to me that the league has been so adamant about keeping him out of the league's ownership when he's willing to vastly overpay for any franchise...
It's a private club and the other owners have voted against him. He's repeatedly demonstrated that he is unwilling to follow the league procedures for inclusion in their little cliche. Occasionally, money doesn't actually trump all.

Closed Thread