HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Reebok Edge SX100 Retail socks

Old
03-24-2010, 03:46 PM
nystromshairstylist
Moving to Warroad

vCash: 500
Reebok Edge SX100 Retail socks

So I received my pair of navy RBK SX100 mesh socks today, which are VERY lightweight compared to the typical sweater hocky socks from CCM.

The only issue so far is that the velcro tab is on the front of the sock only - the "pro" version of these socks have no tabs at all, so I guess Reebok just expects the wearer to use sock tape, not an acceptable option for me.

As a faithful wearer of loose-fit jock shorts with the velcro tabs on the front and back, I brought the socks to my local tailor to sew velcro hang-tabs on the back of each sock so I could attach them more securely to the shorts.

Out of curiousity has anyone else used these socks and if so, was using the front tab sufficient to keep them from sagging or falling down completely during a game?

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 04:14 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Most people have issues with the front only velcro. Sizing also annoys a fair number, they have tiny or huge sizes.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 04:19 PM
cmdrdredd

I'll look for them and might try them and let you know what I think. I don't think my LHS carries them though.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 04:39 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
So I received my pair of navy RBK SX100 mesh socks today, which are VERY lightweight compared to the typical sweater hocky socks from CCM.

The only issue so far is that the velcro tab is on the front of the sock only - the "pro" version of these socks have no tabs at all, so I guess Reebok just expects the wearer to use sock tape, not an acceptable option for me.

As a faithful wearer of loose-fit jock shorts with the velcro tabs on the front and back, I brought the socks to my local tailor to sew velcro hang-tabs on the back of each sock so I could attach them more securely to the shorts.

Out of curiousity has anyone else used these socks and if so, was using the front tab sufficient to keep them from sagging or falling down completely during a game?
would you honestly notice ANY difference when you're playing?

Due to the texture of the EDGE socks, its logical to assume that they offer less 'grip' when you fall/slide and as a beginner (no offence, I do my share of shotblocking/falling too ) it would be better to have more 'grip' form the CCM socks IMO

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:07 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
would you honestly notice ANY difference when you're playing?

Due to the texture of the EDGE socks, its logical to assume that they offer less 'grip' when you fall/slide and as a beginner (no offence, I do my share of shotblocking/falling too ) it would be better to have more 'grip' form the CCM socks IMO
You do. You'll notice a difference the first time you use 'em, and after you get used to them you'll realize just how hot the old ones are the first time you wear old ones again.

And I can't speak for the retails, but it is a little more slide when you fall in the pro ones. On the plus side of that, you don't get socks tearing apart at the knee from the abrasion. Again, can't speak for the retails there.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:20 PM
cmdrdredd

nope...they didn't have them at the LHS. I looked tho.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
You do. You'll notice a difference the first time you use 'em, and after you get used to them you'll realize just how hot the old ones are the first time you wear old ones again.

And I can't speak for the retails, but it is a little more slide when you fall in the pro ones. On the plus side of that, you don't get socks tearing apart at the knee from the abrasion. Again, can't speak for the retails there.
I dug out my CCM Supra hockey pants and went with my regular hockey socks for a couple of sessions recently after being used to roller hockey pants which have venting on the back and mesh down the back of the legs.

You are correct, I had forgotten how hot regular socks get. I'll be wearing my roller hockey pants tomorrow when I play again.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 03-24-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:15 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

Knit => EDGE => retail Edge => Swift

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:24 PM
RJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I dug out my CCM Supra hockey pants and went with my regular hockey socks for a couple of sessions recently after being used to roller hockey pants which have venting on the back and mesh down the back of the legs.

You are correct, I had forgotten how hot regular socks get. I'll be wearing my roller hockey pants tomorrow when I play again.
What?? You'll look like a meathead wearing roller hockey pants playing ice hockey.

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:51 AM
woodford

Someone told me that the velcro tabs are to be used in conjunction with the RBK 9K pants, hence the placement.

woodford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:58 AM
nystromshairstylist
Moving to Warroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodford View Post
Someone told me that the velcro tabs are to be used in conjunction with the RBK 9K pants, hence the placement.
I saw that mentioned on modsquadhockey after starting this thread.

That does seem rather strange on Reebok's part, the number of people with that pants model, let alone reebok pants in general, is small relative to the entire ice hockey playing public, who has a choice of some 8-12 manufacturers. Why they would make the product functionally suitable for only one pants model is rather poorly thought out, IMO.

It's not as if I going to say, "ok, for a $22 pair of socks, I will ditch my very comfortable $120 Tacklas for Reebok pants".

I just sank another $20 into the socks as I'm having my local tailor add velcro on the back. If CCM or someone else eventually makes a competing product that is more functional, I would certainly look to buy it.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:01 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
What?? You'll look like a meathead wearing roller hockey pants playing ice hockey.
But he'll have a really hard shot.

jsykes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
Someone needs to go read the "chirped at" thread about my wearing rollerhockey pants.

Hockey is such a fashion show for sure. It is a good thing I don't play like a meathead.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:49 PM
rinkrat22

I wear the rbk socks with my loose fit shock doctor jock/short. I only use the front velcro and have had NO problem with them falling down. the only place I tape my socks around the shin pad.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Axxion89

I heard that you are supposed to use a sock girdle to hold them up (from the Wolfpack equip manager). I use the pro stock sx100's since I got them and I can't really tell a difference but I have new shin pads that need to go over the Skate so I either have to buy this girdle, go back to my old socks, or sew velcro like the OP which is a great idea

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Pedagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
I wear the rbk socks with my loose fit shock doctor jock/short. I only use the front velcro and have had NO problem with them falling down. the only place I tape my socks around the shin pad.
Same here, there is no need to get more velcro put on. Using the front tabs is fine. Many people I know have no issues what so ever. They are great socks that keep you nice and cool.

Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:29 PM
metric

Okay, so my team got custom jerseys and I'm looking to get some matching EDGE socks. First off, how is the durability on these? Second, is about sizing. I'm about 5' 9.5" (14" shin) and was debating between senior or junior size. Typically I wear adult (28") knitted socks that fit perfectly after they shrink a bit.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:38 PM
hoonking

They don't have velcro tabs because most pros/people who buy them use garters and not velcro pants. I use the loose jock too but I still use normal old knit socks, however if I ever got those nice thin Edges then I would probably go over to a loose jock + garter combo.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
I use a RBK jock with velcro on the front and back of the leg, the RBK socks stick to it just fine. I'm 6 ft tall and I've never been able to use the velcro tab on the RBK socks, I think I'd have to be about 6 foot 4 for it to line up with my upper thigh.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 02:35 PM
CSampson

Any word on recent third jersey SX100 socks? Local play it again sports guy told me July, but then they closed down. Can't find much on the internet. Looking for Minnesota Wild 3rd jersey SX100 socks.

CSampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:36 PM
jarick098

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
Any word on recent third jersey SX100 socks? Local play it again sports guy told me July, but then they closed down. Can't find much on the internet. Looking for Minnesota Wild 3rd jersey SX100 socks.
You ever get a response for this question? HockeyMonkey has most of the third jersey socks now.

jarick098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Third socks have been available for a while now through places like TotalHockey.net. I heard RBK was putting out an intermediate size of the retail version, anyone see em'?

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 11:01 PM
IDuck

hockey tron has the same style sock for $8....got a pair because i bought a pair of the edge socks 2 years ago and have used them just about every time i have played since and they are still going strong....a few small holes but unlike the knits the whole doesnt keep growning until 1 sock becomes 2...and as far as the front velcro, it works great for me and have never had a issue with them or even had to mess with it.

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Waterboy

Not a big deal. I bought a pair this year. I just toss a strip of socktape between the knee pad and my pants. IT was weird the first time I did it but I don't even notice it now.

I can tell you with or without velcro, I wont be going back to knit. The RBKs are lighter and keep you cool.

Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Logie

Just ordered a pair, looking forward to using these. Not been able to find a shop in the UK that stocks anythign but the itchy **** socks.

Hopefully 10 days they will be here with Tech Sox socks

Logie is offline   Reply With Quote