HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Broken Stick Salvage???

Old
02-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Elshupacabra

vCash: 500
Broken Stick Salvage???

Picked up a broken Easton S11 at my beer league tonight, looks like it's still salvageable to me, very few scuff marks. I figure if I can get a new blade for 30, 40, 50 dollars it will still be a deal

What would I have to do to go about putting on a new blade for this stick? Where would I cut it, so on so fourth.

Last edited by Elshupacabra: 02-17-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Elshupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 12:59 AM
eberleclone

Make sure you pick up a tapered blade. And as for where to cut the stick, it can be kind of hit or miss if you haven;t cut a tapered shaft before. Make a cut lower down on the shaft and if you need to, move up about an inch or so and try there (keep doing this until you find the spot where the blade will fit in). Itll probably be best to have an extra wooden plug as well since it could end up being rather short.

eberleclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:54 AM
nyrangers10

I'm pretty sure you're only choice is to flip it around and put a standard blade in the top. The new line of stealths have the "elliptical" taper which doesn't allow you to cut it and put in a tapered blade.

nyrangers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:08 PM
RangersAM99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers10 View Post
I'm pretty sure you're only choice is to flip it around and put a standard blade in the top. The new line of stealths have the "elliptical" taper which doesn't allow you to cut it and put in a tapered blade.
this is exactly what you should do, just cut down where the blade was broke, flip it around and put in a 20 doller bottem, you shouldn't have to spend 30+ dollers on a tapered blade

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 01:25 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersAM99 View Post
this is exactly what you should do, just cut down where the blade was broke, flip it around and put in a 20 doller bottem, you shouldn't have to spend 30+ dollers on a tapered blade
Any other stick and I'd strongly disagree with you. Flipping the stick messes with the flex, and flex-points of a stick. However, because this is a Stealth stick its your only option because of the elliptical taper the stick has.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 02:23 PM
RangersAM99

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
Any other stick and I'd strongly disagree with you. Flipping the stick messes with the flex, and flex-points of a stick. However, because this is a Stealth stick its your only option because of the elliptical taper the stick has.
when ever i broke a blade and flipped the stick around and put a bottom in, i did not notice any change in the flex and flex points

Old
02-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Webernaut

Throw it out... lol Just get a new stick, the S11 is like $60 new. What stick could you possibly have now that a S11 cut and flipped would out perform? lol

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The S11 doesn't seem to have the same extreme taper as the S17, you could give it a shot with a tapered blade. You'll probably have to add a plug though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2010, 05:01 PM
blueberrydanish

As many have said...only chance you have is flipping it with the newer Easton's elliptical part of the shaft.

I have heard of a guy locally who just did it, pretty damn good player, and he says he can tell a difference in the kick etc....if you want to go through the effort though and spend a little on replacement blade no reason not to give it a shot.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 08:42 AM
timbitca

You CAN tell a difference in kick points when flipping sticks over, but that difference is not worth the price tag of a new stick.
Posted via Mobile Device

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 11:18 AM
RangersAM99

if you're gonna use the stick to play pick up roller games or open hockey im sure it'll be fine, but if you're gonna be playing a high level beer league or any other competive leagues just buy a new stick

Old
03-07-2010, 09:31 PM
AIREAYE

Im going to bring up an old thread instead of starting a new one. I broke my Bauer Vapour X:40 tonight when it almost impaled me against the boards. The blad snapped off near the heel.

Does this warrant a standard or tapered blade?
Where should I cut it?
What effects will this have on the flex/shooting ability etc. of the stick?
Which blades under $45 have the best puck feel (assuming tapered blades)?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Socastee09

when i broke my s11, i flipped it and used a easton s15 blade with the same curve (sakic) i had on it before it broke and it works fine. you will notice a difference in the flex point but i travel on an all star team and its working just fine for me.

Socastee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:22 AM
HowToHockey

Yup, you have to flip it around and use the other side. Some say it will change the performance of the stick as some have different "kick points" but other people will not notice. At the very least you can give it to a kid to use.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Hockeyfan68

I would chuck it back in the trash, it is virtually useless now. That funky taper it has and flipping the blade does change the flex point.

Not worth the effort honestly.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Socastee09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I would chuck it back in the trash, it is virtually useless now. That funky taper it has and flipping the blade does change the flex point.

Not worth the effort honestly.
true, but for someone who only has say 50 bucks and needs a blade it will work, ive been using mine the s11 and the easton s15 blade and its fine. i mean yeah it changed and i noticed it, i didnt think it would work either but thats my favorite stick now to use over my other OPS's. JMO...

Old
03-09-2010, 08:26 PM
AIREAYE

A blade might fit if i cut it up high enough...might try a RBK 1K or Easton ABS for use on ice and street. any thoughts on those 2?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Socastee09

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
A blade might fit if i cut it up high enough...might try a RBK 1K or Easton ABS for use on ice and street. any thoughts on those 2?
if you do that you might have an insane flex afterwards, meaning its going to be pretty high if your going to try to stick the standard blade into it, but if you just flip it it will fit a standard blade and you will still have the length of the stick with the same flex, food for though man.

Old
03-10-2010, 06:45 PM
StrykerB

That S-11 is not an elliptical taper. Your best option is a tapered blade. If it broke above the taper, you can get away with buying a standard blade, but you may need to install an endplug to get it to the length that you like.

If you flip it, you'll be putting the flex up in the grip area which is a good thing, but it's better to have that taper flex near the blade.

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 07:32 PM
backhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
this...broke my flipped over stick on the first few shots...now have a new synergy...hey at least i have a new stick

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 07:34 PM
backhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webernaut View Post
Throw it out... lol Just get a new stick, the S11 is like $60 new. What stick could you possibly have now that a S11 cut and flipped would out perform? lol
yep...listen to this

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Socastee09

old thread, but i just broke my s11, so i cut it long as i could at first, flipped it and put in a easton s15 sakic blade in it, and i have two games tomorrow, guess we will have the verdict on it haha.

Old
03-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
In which case you might as well just flip it.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 12:25 AM
RJC

Broken S11 really isnt worth keeping

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Socastee09

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
Broken S11 really isnt worth keeping
maybe, maybe not. who knows lol. but right i had a new blade sitting in the closest and its game time tonight so i couldnt really order a new stick and have it here in a night without insane shipping costs...