HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Los Angeles Kings @ Colorado Avalanche 03/24/10

Old
03-25-2010, 01:10 AM
bland

vCash: 500
Anyone else feel that Kopitar is the Kings most improved player this year?

I don't give a damn about the stats - Anze has been a MAN in the second half of this season. The way he has been sacrificing his body along the boards on zone entry has been so impressive - for the first time in his career he has been using his strength to do all the little things the right way.

I've always felt Anze's was a one-effort-and-done player in the past, but his maturation late in this season has been remarkable.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Anyone else feel that Kopitar is the Kings most improved player this year?

I don't give a damn about the stats - Anze has been a MAN in the second half of this season. The way he has been sacrificing his body along the boards on zone entry has been so impressive - for the first time in his career he has been using his strength to do all the little things the right way.

I've always felt Anze's was a one-effort-and-done player in the past, but his maturation late in this season has been remarkable.
I was talking to Piston about this tonight. The one aspect of Kopitar's game I wish he had (which Piston believes he can still develop) is an edge. I want to see a hostile snarl permeate throughout his game, similar to Simmonds and Doughty. Piston thinks he will because Dustin eventually developed it. We shall see. Also, regarding going to the net, he hasn't done nearly as much of that since that Orpik hit. We saw from Anze at the beginning of the season a desire to skate over the blue line and do a bee line to the net and not around it. Since that hit, I have rarely seen him do that. I am convinced however it will return in the playoffs. One thing Kopitar has is intelligence and he knows that his game has a whole higher level it must reach in the post season.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:22 AM
SLang

Was that an actual poke check by Jones I saw? An actual defensive play?

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:22 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Hell of a comeback. Pretty damn impressive to come back and get a point on the road being down by 2 in the 3rd. Proud of the boys tonight.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:29 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
What beer did you drink?
Was I shown on TV with a beer in my hand?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Was I shown on TV with a beer in my hand?
Maybe

Do you by chance own a blackberry?

Old
03-25-2010, 01:40 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Jones played way better than Johnson. It pains me to say it but it's true. Jones looked like an NHL defenseman tonight. The things about Johnsons game that drive me nuts are his slow decisions with the puck and without and how long it takes him to get his shot off.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:41 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Maybe

Do you by chance own a blackberry?
iPhone.

Old
03-25-2010, 01:43 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I was talking to Piston about this tonight. The one aspect of Kopitar's game I wish he had (which Piston believes he can still develop) is an edge. I want to see a hostile snarl permeate throughout his game, similar to Simmonds and Doughty. Piston thinks he will because Dustin eventually developed it. We shall see. Also, regarding going to the net, he hasn't done nearly as much of that since that Orpik hit. We saw from Anze at the beginning of the season a desire to skate over the blue line and do a bee line to the net and not around it. Since that hit, I have rarely seen him do that. I am convinced however it will return in the playoffs. One thing Kopitar has is intelligence and he knows that his game has a whole higher level it must reach in the post season.
While it is certainly not on a Simmonds' level of edge, didn't you see Kopitar go after Cumiskey (I think, could be wrong here) two or three times in a row when we got our first powerplay? He actually crashed and banged for a shift, and knocked the same guy on his ass, crunched along the boards, twice within 10 seconds of eachother and at opposite sides of the Colorado zone.

Again, its not enough to say that it is a real part of his game at this point, but I saw it and went, 'woah, I don't think I've ever seen that from Kopi before."

Its a good sign, so I agree with piston. I am not 100% convinced it will happen, but I do feel it is well within Kopi's talents. I don't think he is like Frolov in that aloof, sort of play nice kind of attitude. I think Kopi's hesitancy in those areas thus far more as his age, not his personality. He is a fierce competitor, and its getting more and more consistent by the game nearly all season long.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:45 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Jones played way better than Johnson. It pains me to say it but it's true. Jones looked like an NHL defenseman tonight. The things about Johnsons game that drive me nuts are his slow decisions with the puck and without and how long it takes him to get his shot off.
Those end to end drives that end in a turnover in the corner infuriate me. Throw it into the slot or the crease, at the very least.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:45 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
iPhone.
And were you texting / emailing during the game, possibly during a quick stoppage in play?

Old
03-25-2010, 01:46 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Jones played way better than Johnson. It pains me to say it but it's true. Jones looked like an NHL defenseman tonight. The things about Johnson's game that drive me nuts are his slow decisions with the puck and without and how long it takes him to get his shot off.
Have to agree. Johnson flashed a lot of skill tonight, but nearly every time it was preceded by or followed up with a bonehead move. He was hustling, and playing heavy, which I like, but his passing was soft and bad, way too many turnovers.

Still showing that indecision and hesitance as well. He does enough good or adequately to even out his mistakes so that he isn't a huge liability, which is an improvement from his earlier years, but he isn't really being an impact player of any sort.

Old
03-25-2010, 01:46 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Moses View Post
Those end to end drives that end in a turnover in the corner infuriate me. Throw it into the slot or the crease, at the very least.
And furthermore, if it doesn't work off the rush, don't forecheck, get back on D!

Old
03-25-2010, 01:47 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
And were you texting / emailing during the game, possibly during a quick stoppage in play?
My sister in L.A. was watching the game and texting me with quotes by Jim Fox regarding the refs. I don't recall texting or reading during play though, so likely during a stoppage.

Do you have a screen capture?

Old
03-25-2010, 01:47 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Jack is quickly turning into Frolov on defense.

"Great play by Jack"...3 shifts later "what the **** Jack!?"

Old
03-25-2010, 01:49 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
My sister in L.A. was watching the game and texting me with quotes by Jim Fox regarding the refs. I don't recall texting or reading during play though, so likely during a stoppage.

Do you have a screen capture?
I don't know how to do that. I can't remember this clearly, but were you wearing a beanie?

Old
03-25-2010, 01:50 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
I don't know how to do that. I can't remember this clearly, but were you wearing a beanie?
No. Black Kings hat and a Deader jersey (Got a TON of compliments from Avs fans about it, which was kinda cool).

Old
03-25-2010, 01:51 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Soooo....

Drewiske was good.

Old
03-25-2010, 01:53 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
No. Black Kings hat and a Deader jersey (Got a TON of compliments from Avs fans about it, which was kinda cool).
Hmmm. Do you have a goatee?

Old
03-25-2010, 01:54 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

We needed that extra point, but the Kings played pretty great, so I can't be disappointed.

What it took for the Avs to win:

- goal off of Johnson
- goal off of Doughty
- five powerplays in the first period, including a phantom high stick in which Quincey knocked Richardson's stick into Hannan's face
- two posts: Williams in the third, Smyth in the shootout

So...yeah. It is what it is. Colorado is underwhelming considering the hype they've gotten this year. I wish there was a way we could play them first round.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Tomorrow night is one of those damn games I get nervous about.
It's a back-to-back, true, but the Blues are also playing back-to-back.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:57 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Colorado is underwhelming considering the hype they've gotten this year. I wish there was a way we could play them first round.
I disagree. I thought they played a great game as well.

I mean, we're better. I firmly believe that. Would LOVE to play them in the first round (yes, still some serious feelings of playoff retribution), but they play a hell of a tenacious game and everyone on their team commits. Their skill ain't quite what it used to be, but they know how to get in your face, and more importantly, in your passing lanes.

Old
03-25-2010, 02:02 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I disagree. I thought they played a great game as well.

I mean, we're better. I firmly believe that. Would LOVE to play them in the first round (yes, still some serious feelings of playoff retribution), but they play a hell of a tenacious game and everyone on their team commits. Their skill ain't quite what it used to be, but they know how to get in your face, and more importantly, in your passing lanes.
meh. Their defense blows. Their goaltending is suspect. They have good forwards. Take away the ******** penalties and lucky goals and we give them the baby seal treatment.

Old
03-25-2010, 02:05 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

I love the top line so much. The heart of Simmer and Richie combined with the skills of Kopi

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:13 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
meh. Their defense blows. Their goaltending is suspect. They have good forwards. Take away the ******** penalties and lucky goals and we give them the baby seal treatment.
I agree, but the easy counter is that two games in a row we have played really good hockey and they've managed to get 3 points of their own. Part of me thinks it no coincidence they've gotten those 3 bounced in goals in two games. Each one has come after a long cycle in our zone and a forward getting caught a hair late on a play.

Over a 7 game series, and the season series, we would/will own them, but I think its because we match up well more than it is a fault of their own. Kind of like how Nashville is good, but not great, but they make us look like seals digesting in a sharks belly.