HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Starting goalie next season

Old
03-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolisPt31 View Post
  • Biron, Martin
  • Ellis, Dan
  • Emery, Ray
  • Theodore, Jose
  • Turco, Marty

The RFA list is full of young goalies with potential:
  • Drouin-Deslauriers, Jeff
  • Dubnyk, Devan
  • Gustavsson, Jonas
  • Halak, Jaroslav
  • Harding, Josh
  • Lehtonen, Kari
  • Neuvirth, Michal
  • Niemi, Antti
  • Pavelec, Ondrej
  • Peters, Justin
  • Price, Carey
  • Schneider, Cory
i don't like any of those UFAs at all and will be shocked if the Sharks go with one of them.

As far as the young guys go I am really not too excited about most of them either (although I have not seen all of them). The two that I do like are Halack out of MTL as I mentioned in a previous post and also Deslauriers out of EDM.

After we address this goalie issue we can take a look at that swiss cheese like defense...

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:08 PM
one2gamble

vCash: 500
The issue with the Sharks is that they seem to have a goalie issue at every level but its a different issue everywhere. There are to many "not yet ready" goalies in the system that really need to go somewhere to get both playing time and a better challenge.

Both goalies in Europe probably need to be in North America. Stalock needs to keep playing all the time, San Jose needs a starter and a goalie coach.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:14 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
The issue with the Sharks is that they seem to have a goalie issue at every level but its a different issue everywhere. There are to many "not yet ready" goalies in the system that really need to go somewhere to get both playing time and a better challenge.

Both goalies in Europe probably need to be in North America. Stalock needs to keep playing all the time, San Jose needs a starter and a goalie coach.
Ya I doubt Greiss is going to be retained. He's apparently not impressing anyone and they are going to need to start making room. Sexsmith could also be dumped, but I doubt they give up on him so soon.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:25 PM
dumpnchase

Quote:

I think Sateri will stay in Europe 1 more year and Karlsson will come over this year to NA. Stalock or Karlsson can backup Greiss. It will solve all our goalie problems, if they don't work we can always make a trade. If we spend our goalie budget on a good D core we can make do with average goalies, like DET.

dumpnchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
Don't worry guys I'll be the goalie, since I've never played before nor skated and I'm in my late 30's. Sounds like a win win to me! ha ha.
Let's see, I've played goal (in nothing more than rec leagues for fun) - Murph/RCricket I think played goal in college (albeit UCDavis ) - and someone else ... There's your 3. I'll work the bench ... I'm too lazy to actually play.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 05:29 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
im gonna keep on saying the same name i said earlier this year. i want nittymaki

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 06:47 PM
thegreatfatman

We should just sign one of the UFA goalies for about 1-1.5 million $ on a 1 year deal, and have him and Greiss battle for the role next year. Main thing should be to keep everything low cost, so we have some money to address our other holes. Plus, in most cases, a 5 million $/yr goalie << a 3.5 million $/yr defenseman or forward + a 1.5 million $/yr goalie. For some evidence of this, just look at the salaries of the past several cup winning goalies, and the records of teams in the playoffs with the highest-paid or "best" goalies.

thegreatfatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Let's see, I've played goal (in nothing more than rec leagues for fun) - Murph/RCricket I think played goal in college (albeit UCDavis ) - and someone else ... There's your 3. I'll work the bench ... I'm too lazy to actually play.
I haven't played goalie in like 5 months, I'll start training now.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:25 AM
Kingshark49

If Nabby exits, the I say it could be any one of a few...The ones that come to mind for me are Carey Price, Jaroslav Halak, Chris Mason or Kari Lehtonen (if Dallas hasn't signed him already to a long term deal)...I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them. Vesa Toskala is also a possibility, but I'd make the push to see about getting Price, Halak or Mason first...

Kingshark49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:51 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingshark49 View Post
If Nabby exits, the I say it could be any one of a few...The ones that come to mind for me are Carey Price, Jaroslav Halak, Chris Mason or Kari Lehtonen (if Dallas hasn't signed him already to a long term deal)...I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them. Vesa Toskala is also a possibility, but I'd make the push to see about getting Price, Halak or Mason first...

I'd be shocked if the Stars don't lock up Lehtonen.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:52 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
I'd be shocked if the Stars don't lock up Lehtonen.
Agreed. They don't give up a big prospect like Vishnevskiy if they don't intend to keep Lehtonen

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 35 GP, 13-17-5 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:07 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
I'd like to see our team make a pitch for one of the youngsters in L.A. or Schneider in Vancouver. Thus, have him battle it out with Greiss next season. Tired of the uncertainties with Naby and, the money he will demand for sure we will be able to use for other necessities.
I can't see this happening. Why would the Sharks take a young goalie, especially one who hasn't played in the NHL yet, when they have their very own young goalie who just set an AHL rookie record for wins?

I would love to get Schneider, but that's because I have a friend from college who is buddies with Cory from High School. It makes no sense to me to sign someone young when it's clear that Stalock will be the starter for this team within the next few years, if he's not already to do it next year (which I'm getting the impression he might be).

If anything, I would think they sign a vet goalie who can split time with Stalock in the NHL, or cover the job for the next 1-2 years. That might actually be Nabby at a smaller contract than he has now.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:14 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
I can't see this happening. Why would the Sharks take a young goalie, especially one who hasn't played in the NHL yet, when they have their very own young goalie who just set an AHL rookie record for wins?

I would love to get Schneider, but that's because I have a friend from college who is buddies with Cory from High School. It makes no sense to me to sign someone young when it's clear that Stalock will be the starter for this team within the next few years, if he's not already to do it next year (which I'm getting the impression he might be).

If anything, I would think they sign a vet goalie who can split time with Stalock in the NHL, or cover the job for the next 1-2 years. That might actually be Nabby at a smaller contract than he has now.
I agree with the first part that it makes little sense to expend assets on a young goalie when the Sharks already have a ton of young goalies and need help elsewhere.

On the latter part though I think Stalock needs another season of full-time duty as an AHL starter before I move him up. The Sharks might be loaded in net, but I'd hate for them to potentially stunt Stalock's development.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:14 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I agree with the first part that it makes little sense to expend assets on a young goalie when the Sharks already have a ton of young goalies and need help elsewhere.

On the latter part though I think Stalock needs another season of full-time duty as an AHL starter before I move him up. The Sharks might be loaded in net, but I'd hate for them to potentially stunt Stalock's development.
I agree with you both but, as it is showing in L.A., you can never have enough goaltending. Major point via Nemesis, Stalock isn't NHL ready yet wherein the others we could pursue are. Plus the largest factor in all this is the dollar savings. We all know we have much to sign up front this summer so, if we can save quite a bit via this route, i'd be all for it. As well, every season with Naby we go into the playoffs so unsure of what we will get and, for the past few seasons we didn't get much. So, why not attempt this route?

Thus, if we do sign Bernier or Schneider or another, when Stalock comes up, he'd be perfect to share time with them and compete ( in no less than a couple years of course ). Not a guarantee Stalock is going to step in and be a starter right away.

This will as well give us another season to evaluate Greiss a whole lot more as, with this type of move, we'd be sure he'd get more playtime. Unlike he will behind Naby.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:53 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
I agree with you both but, as it is showing in L.A., you can never have enough goaltending. Major point via Nemesis, Stalock isn't NHL ready yet wherein the others we could pursue are. Plus the largest factor in all this is the dollar savings. We all know we have much to sign up front this summer so, if we can save quite a bit via this route, i'd be all for it. As well, every season with Naby we go into the playoffs so unsure of what we will get and, for the past few seasons we didn't get much. So, why not attempt this route?

Thus, if we do sign Bernier or Schneider or another, when Stalock comes up, he'd be perfect to share time with them and compete ( in no less than a couple years of course ). Not a guarantee Stalock is going to step in and be a starter right away.

This will as well give us another season to evaluate Greiss a whole lot more as, with this type of move, we'd be sure he'd get more playtime. Unlike he will behind Naby.
I just don't understand a reason to give up assets for a player that has maybe a year or two on Stalock. Yes, Schneider has what, one or two years age on Stalock, while having nearly identical to stats to Alex this year. You don't trade for a player (or give him an offer sheet) at that age, with that much potential, for a year or two of service. Obtaining Schneider will cost much more than dollars, when you could get a decent vet for 1-2 years. Bernier is actually younger than Stalock, I think (or the same age), with only one more year of AHL experience.

These guys are barely improvements on Stalock, and a year or two from now might be worse than him, when I think he is ready to come up (I agree that I think it'd be better to let him work full time down there another year, but I also think he could play in the NHL if needed). There's no reason to spend assets, whether it be players or picks, to obtain something equivalent to what we have.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Screw it ... just do the merry-go-round with Stalock, Greiss, Sexsmith/Karlsson and cross your fingers. We desperately need to spend the cash on D ...

Wait. I forgot DW doesn't know how to sign high calibur FAs ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Herschel

A lot is going to depend on if Patty resigns.

1) Patty leaves
- this should mean no issues resigning RFA (that they want) = less new holes to fill.

Blake is likely signed for less.

Add top 4 D
Add top 6 F
resign Nabby or bring in vet (Turco)

2) Patty Resigns
- This likely means the Sharks are looking to spend a lot less between the pipes.

I could see a guy like Ellis being brought in as the #1. The savings is used to sign the top RFA and one is let go in order to bring in a top 4 D.

Of course if Nabby is big in the playoffs all bets are off

Herschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 06:02 PM
one2gamble

next person who says Turco needs to get a two day banning!

Old
03-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Chomped

Quote:
there are a lot worse options than turco. if we want to keep patty, pavs, and seto, the sharks need to spend less on the goalie position for a couple of years

Chomped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Lockout Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Screw it ... just do the merry-go-round with Stalock, Greiss, Sexsmith/Karlsson and cross your fingers. We desperately need to spend the cash on D ...

Wait. I forgot DW doesn't know how to sign high calibur FAs ...
He knows how to sign them about 5-10 years later.

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 06:39 PM
MetropolisPt31

Quote:
You mean Shenanigans?

MetropolisPt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
A lot is going to depend on if Patty resigns.

1) Patty leaves
- this should mean no issues resigning RFA (that they want) = less new holes to fill.

Blake is likely signed for less.

Add top 4 D
Add top 6 F
resign Nabby or bring in vet (Turco)

2) Patty Resigns
- This likely means the Sharks are looking to spend a lot less between the pipes.

I could see a guy like Ellis being brought in as the #1. The savings is used to sign the top RFA and one is let go in order to bring in a top 4 D.

Of course if Nabby is big in the playoffs all bets are off
I am next to certain that regardless of how Patty or Nabby play out, they're keeping Pavelski and Setoguchi. If anything, Clowe is the most expendable in terms of a big money asset they'd move to keep guys around. Personally however, I'd look into moving Douglas Murray first. And I know I'm in the minority on that but I just can't see him being the correct way to go as a top four defenseman and is paid too much to be a #5, imo.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 07:08 PM
one2gamble

nvm

I still say go young

Old
03-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Lockout Season

If Nabby isn't resigned, I would be shocked to see anything more than Ellis.

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 07:41 PM
TheBrokenRib

Quote:
TURCO!

TheBrokenRib is offline   Reply With Quote