HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

When is it OK to hit a guy to send a message.

Old
03-19-2010, 12:36 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
I'd say chirping is part of the game. Alot of the times it gets people in the game and can often be hilarious if you got someone who is good at yapping on your team.

Fighting is pretty dumb though. People gotta work in the morning and an hour after you leave the ice will it really have mattered?

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 03:17 AM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
wrong thread

Last edited by Clarkington III: 03-19-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: i'm dumb
Clarkington III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:01 PM
TheSandman

Just today we had a guy who was seriously running guys all game. I mean really going at it. Totally inappropriate, because it's more or less the same group of guys that show up, and it's generally assumed that it's a friendly, non-contact game. Everyone's just there to break a sweat and get some practice in.

After a series of hard hits, this guy eventually got challenged to fight and it led to him getting tossed from the rink. He wasn't a bender either, him and most all of the other guys out there at the time were serious players.

It made me think about this thread. The whole thing was so stupid and uncalled for.

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:22 AM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ft. pole View Post
I play in a weekly pickup. We have a pretty wide range of skill showing up. Play has gotten really chippy the last few months and there are some repeat offenders. I have been making a few statement hits the last couple weeks due to guys chirping, and crosschecking in front of the net, and boarding me.

Last night I crushed this dude with a hipcheck who had been crosschecking me all night in front of the net. His body crumbled and his stick went flying. Later on in the game he boarded me in our zone pretty good. The very next shift I went into the boards by my teams bench and could have put him over the boards and into the bench area but, I let up and just gave him a bump to seperate him from the puck.

Other players have been doing the same and our scrimmage is starting to get alot of guys looking for payback. It is kind of taking the fun out of the game. We have no refs and no faceoffs or penalties called. We pretty much police ourselves but some of the guys get away with alot of hacking and dirty play. If we hit them they would be seriously hurt due to their lack of being solid on their skates. How do you poilce a guy who you really shouldn't hit? Most of us who went cage/visorless are now sporting visors due to sticks getting up and what not.

Things just seem to be escalating really fast. Have any of you guys ever had this happen. We don't mind the physical play but we want to get the anomosity and the dirty crap out of our game. Any suggetions?

PS: I kind of wished I would have sent that a-hole over the boards last night when I woke up with a stiff back and bruises all over this morning.
You sound like you're only adding to the problem by trying to retaliate the way you are. If someone hacks you pretty badly or does something over the top for pickup-then just stop and give him a good stare look (ie wtf are you doing) or just ask them to "take it easy". If that doesn't work, you can always embarrass them in front of the guys for taking pickup way too seriously. If none of that gets through, then they are pretty out of it, and need to be put back in place at that point. However, I find it funny that you mention you want to take the "dirty crap" out of your pickup but are just hitting the guy back. Why don't you guys just square off and drop em so you can face any impending injury head on and be expecting it.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:20 AM
10 ft. pole

We all had a sitdown before the game. We decided to make our pick up full contact with fighting. 4 of us will decide if anyone is being out of line or just killing the fun out there and trying to hurt people. We also are having new players realize if they are Not at the median level they can't play. If you can't cut it we don't want anybody to get hurt so they are being asked to find ice time more in sync with their level of play.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 03:52 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
We all had a sitdown before the game. We decided to make our pick up full contact with fighting. 4 of us will decide if anyone is being out of line or just killing the fun out there and trying to hurt people. We also are having new players realize if they are Not at the median level they can't play. If you can't cut it we don't want anybody to get hurt so they are being asked to find ice time more in sync with their level of play.
This pick up game just went beyond the point of no return. I have to wonder how long it will be before it breaks up/dies out.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:13 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
This pick up game just went beyond the point of no return. I have to wonder how long it will be before it breaks up/dies out.
Probably the first time somebody gets hit, doesn't get up right away, and starts talking about their brother in law that specializes in liability claims.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Probably the first time somebody gets hit, doesn't get up right away, and starts talking about their brother in law that specializes in liability claims.
I wasn't even thinking that. I was thinking of attendance slowly dying out when the guys started realizing they don't want to show up and kill each other every game, and they they value their ability to earn a paycheck more than their ability to let loose on each other at open hockey. This guys problem was with stick work and hitting, and they think that making full checking acceptable is going to alleviate this? Whatever, it's their game, hopefully it works out and becomes the type of game they enjoy playing in.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:53 PM
BrentZ10

Full contact pickup with fighting? How many scouts do you guys showing up every night?

It's pickup. Go out, make some plays, and if someone is being a ****** tell them to leave. It's not that difficult.

BrentZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Hounsy

Allowed hitting at pickup? never heard of that before at open or organized. This has to be a pretty young bunch of guys.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Seanconn*

keep you head up, make better passes, and skate faster. stay on the high road, and it will force the other team to stop focussing on dirty play

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:

That sounds insane!

I don't know about the other guys here, but I want updates on this, it seems completely out of line for pick up hockey.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 06:49 PM
wondeROY

Quote:
LOL for pickup hockey!? That is ridiculous, you Canadians really take this stuff a bit far don't you.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:23 PM
10 ft. pole

The other night was a lot of fun. Nobody is really lining anybody up. Ages range from 21-32

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Sleepy
2014 Avenged

Quote:
The other night was a lot of fun. Nobody is really lining anybody up. Ages range from 21-32
I give it 15 games.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Seanconn*

fighting has no place in rec hockey, end of story.

players that have nothing better to do then to attempt to injure others are really just insecure about their own hockey skills, better off not playing with these people.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:59 PM
OprtnShtdwn

Quote:
it's fun until someone gets caught with their head down, Scott Stevens style. Then you'll realize....

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 06:01 PM
psulion11

Quote:

Fighting being permitted at PICK UP hockey??? This is the saddest thing I've ever heard in my life.

Seriously embarassing.

psulion11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 12:22 AM
OprtnShtdwn

so what's the over/under on the amount of Pick Up Sessions until someone gets hit face first into the boards, or someone gets a shoulder to the head.

Really, That's out of control that your gonna allow full checking AND fighting. I can understand some hitting with playin the puck, or taking a person into the boards while on defense.

But Full Check? Your asking for a concussion at the very least.

Old
03-25-2010, 02:59 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Alot of you people are taking this dude allowing hitting at pick up a little too seriously. Sure it may sound a bit ridiculous, but I'm sure theyre not lining guys up to freight train them at the blue line. It's a bunch of guys playing pick up, I'd imagine theyre just roughing eachother up and giving relative lovetaps compared to NHL hits. That being said, if I lived in that area I would love to play with these people. I play drop in here and I get so sick of these show offs that keep pulling the same fancy move over and over again, and would love to just once be able to plant a solid hip on 'em.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:19 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Hitting + Fighting + No Refs =

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:29 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
Seriously, this stuff is ridiculous for men's league, but in pickup?
I'm with you!

Dose any of them have to go to work in the AM?

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 12:19 PM
OprtnShtdwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecantscorefromthere View Post
Alot of you people are taking this dude allowing hitting at pick up a little too seriously. Sure it may sound a bit ridiculous, but I'm sure theyre not lining guys up to freight train them at the blue line. It's a bunch of guys playing pick up, I'd imagine theyre just roughing eachother up and giving relative lovetaps compared to NHL hits. That being said, if I lived in that area I would love to play with these people. I play drop in here and I get so sick of these show offs that keep pulling the same fancy move over and over again, and would love to just once be able to plant a solid hip on 'em.
It's the fact that they are going to let Fighting go, with no refs or anything. Are these guys who have learned how to properly check someone and how to receive a check?

If not, I can see someone getting checked into the boards wrong, and then a shoulder injury is bound to happen or a face first into the glass injury.

I can understand that nobody will line each other up, but all it takes is 1 hit that somebody didn't like, for a retaliation, and soon after, injury