HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Los Angeles Kings @ Colorado Avalanche 03/24/10

Old
03-25-2010, 01:13 AM
Defgarden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
meh. Their defense blows. Their goaltending is suspect. They have good forwards. Take away the ******** penalties and lucky goals and we give them the baby seal treatment.
Defense, maybe, but Anderson has been totally **** this year. I mean that in a good way. He's not lighting it up like he did the first half of the season, but his numbers are still pretty good.

Overall though, I do think the Kings are better.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:20 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

The Kings have a chance to wrap up the season series with the Avs earning 7 of 8 points.

I'll take that anytime.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The Kings have a chance to wrap up the season series with the Avs earning 7 of 8 points.

I'll take that anytime.
Not to mention making them a bloody mess in Frozen Fury

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:42 AM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Anyone else feel that Kopitar is the Kings most improved player this year?

I don't give a damn about the stats - Anze has been a MAN in the second half of this season. The way he has been sacrificing his body along the boards on zone entry has been so impressive - for the first time in his career he has been using his strength to do all the little things the right way.

I've always felt Anze's was a one-effort-and-done player in the past, but his maturation late in this season has been remarkable.
I wonder if finally having a Head Coach that forces him to work his ass off in all three zones has anything to do with his improvement.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:46 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
I wonder if finally having a Head Coach that forces him to work his ass off in all three zones has anything to do with his improvement.

As much as Murray choices of who to play and who not play leave me confused. He has made the player on his team more complete and better hockey players.

CTKingsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:57 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Meant to post this in the PGT rather than the GDT...

Murray should find a way to keep Smyth and Frolov together. They worked very well together cycling the puck behind the Avs net and keeping the puck in their end for long stretches.

Smyth does have experience playing center and is actually pretty good on the draw. I wouldn't want to see the team mix up the lines too much, but I'd like to see:

Richardson-Kopitar-Simmonds
Frolov-Smyth-Williams
Modin-Handzus-Brown
Clune/Parse-Stoll-Halpern

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:16 AM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
if you want smyth and frolov together, why not just put stoll between them instead of forcing smyth out of position? i don't really like his defensive game enough to put him at center.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:18 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

That just seems alot at this point in the year to ask Smyth to play center.

What about

Richardson - Kopitar - Simmonds
Frolov - Handzus - Smyth
Modin - Stoll - Brown
Parse - Halpern - Williams

Williams had a decent game tonight but he is really snake bit. And the team played really well without him. So anything we get from him is a bonus.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:34 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Drewiske looks solid. I hope he's earned a long look at sticking in the lineup.

Jones had a very, very solid game in all zones. I was impressed. But I'm also not getting my hopes too high.

Johnson was decent, not great. His post-Olympic play has been lacking, but I don't see what happened tonight that made the hate take off.

That being said, if a d-man had to be benched out of that set, I'd sit Johnson for a game.

There was a point towards the end of the 3rd before the PP where these guys put forth some SERIOUS, playoff-level battle on the boards in the offensive zone. I was IMPRESSED.

All in all, even if all the calls were legit (that's another topic altogether), we endured bad bounces, broken sticks, a slew of PKs, and own goals to steal a point in Denver. Can't hate on the team's play in general.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:52 AM
TWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Drewiske looks solid. I hope he's earned a long look at sticking in the lineup.

Jones had a very, very solid game in all zones. I was impressed. But I'm also not getting my hopes too high.

Johnson was decent, not great. His post-Olympic play has been lacking, but I don't see what happened tonight that made the hate take off.

That being said, if a d-man had to be benched out of that set, I'd sit Johnson for a game.

There was a point towards the end of the 3rd before the PP where these guys put forth some SERIOUS, playoff-level battle on the boards in the offensive zone. I was IMPRESSED.

All in all, even if all the calls were legit (that's another topic altogether), we endured bad bounces, broken sticks, a slew of PKs, and own goals to steal a point in Denver. Can't hate on the team's play in general.
What Frolov is to Terry Murray is what Jack Johnson is to the Kings fans on HFBoards...they will hardly ever be satisfied.

TWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:35 AM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█████★█████╲

vCash: 1100
The only reason i want the AVS win is because i don't want the flames in the playoff

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:04 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Smyth and Frolov fighting over who does the wrap around is kinda funny to watch...

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:19 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I disagree. I thought they played a great game as well.

I mean, we're better. I firmly believe that. Would LOVE to play them in the first round (yes, still some serious feelings of playoff retribution), but they play a hell of a tenacious game and everyone on their team commits. Their skill ain't quite what it used to be, but they know how to get in your face, and more importantly, in your passing lanes.
Their forward corps all buy in to the system, which is apparent, and they work as a unit, which mkes them dangerous. This is what I see from Colorado. Outside of Quincey and Hannan, they don't really have a true rock on the blueline. Kopitar was manhandling their defense tonight, just pushing dudes around and basically doing whatever he wanted. Anderson was been their keeper this year and is the biggest reason why they're in any kind of playoff position. But as far as a future goes, who do they have in their pipeline in net? Budaj? Maybe ol' Deano can send them one of ours a couple years down the road for an O'Reilly+. Just thinking out loud.

I think Phoenix is way more dangerous, better coached, faster, and more set for the future. I wouldn't be surprised to see Colorado fade away ala CBus or St. Louis next year, to be perfectly honest. Whereas long as Tippet is behind the bench in Phoenix, they're here to stay.

What both teams lack is a gamebreaker like Kopitar or Doughty. This is the Kings' biggest edge over all the up and comers in the western conference, and what will set them apart in a few years when players start reaching their developmental peaks.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:59 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Plain and simple, if you're not impressed with that point that we stole from Colorado tonight, then you're an idiot. This is a hard building to play in, down 3-1, heading into the 3rd, you have your back up goalie in nets, one of your leaders is out (Matt Greene) and you just had a messy, messy first period, arguably the worst first period this season when it comes to penalties. To come back in the 3rd and put 2 goals in on a stellar goaltender like Craig Anderson is amazing, I love the heart that they showed, they outplayed Colorado, if this doesn't prove the Kings are a playoff team, I don't know whaat does. It was a playoff-like game, remember in the playoffs there aren't any shootouts, if this was a playoff game, the kings would've taken it, they were all over the Avs in OT.

Now, what's more important then the game last night is tonight's game, we need 2 points and badly, get some separation from Nashville & Phoenix

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Ersberg needs to us the poke check in shootouts. He would have easily stopped the third shot with a poke check.
haven't even seen the replay yet, but I know this is true. Quick has shown a bit more poke checking lately, but Ersberg does it even less.

For the shootout, it's a very good weapon. Who was that (TALL) goalie the Kings played a few weeks ago in the SO that seemed to pokecheck every shot attempt? It totally threw the Kings shooters off their game.

And for the SO, why don't goalies use a longer stick to make it easier to make a pokecheck? Being too long wouldn't be an issue since it's one shot and done. Can goalies even change sticks for SO? I don't see why not.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Mules
Ouch!

Hey guys, I don't want to burst your bubbles, but seriously, overcoming 2 goals deficit in Denver is not that difficult

Even with 2 goals leads, most Avs fans were expecting we'll get blown 5-3 on regulation

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Mules
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Their forward corps all buy in to the system, which is apparent, and they work as a unit, which mkes them dangerous. This is what I see from Colorado. Outside of Quincey and Hannan, they don't really have a true rock on the blueline. Kopitar was manhandling their defense tonight, just pushing dudes around and basically doing whatever he wanted. Anderson was been their keeper this year and is the biggest reason why they're in any kind of playoff position. But as far as a future goes, who do they have in their pipeline in net? Budaj? Maybe ol' Deano can send them one of ours a couple years down the road for an O'Reilly+. Just thinking out loud.

I think Phoenix is way more dangerous, better coached, faster, and more set for the future. I wouldn't be surprised to see Colorado fade away ala CBus or St. Louis next year, to be perfectly honest. Whereas long as Tippet is behind the bench in Phoenix, they're here to stay.

What both teams lack is a gamebreaker like Kopitar or Doughty. This is the Kings' biggest edge over all the up and comers in the western conference, and what will set them apart in a few years when players start reaching their developmental peaks.
We have quite a few defensemen coming out of system next year. Shattenkirk may not be Doughty, but I think he will be good than our other D right now.
I think Duchene will ultimately be the game breaker player in the future.

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I can't believe you seriously don't get it. I'll take all my years of playing and being around the game and not give a **** what you think, deal?

News flash: I don't listen to anything Jim Fox says.
You think you're the only who has spent years playing and being around the game? Hell, I still play competitive hockey (no, not men's league). If Anderson did such a good job of ONLY giving Smyth the post, then why did he look up to the ceiling afterwards like "Holy ****, I just got lucky on that one." If you seriously think the bar is the ONLY spot Anderson gave Smyth to shoot, and that it had nothing to do with Smyth just barely missing his spot and Anderson getting lucky, then I think you've been out of the game for too long.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:

I agree, except that I don't think Colorado is going to fade away. I'm sure they're going to be even stronger next year. To be honest, I think it's just a matchup thing for us (see: Nashville). Kopitar wasn't the only forward doing what he wanted; Avs throwing hits are bouncing off players. The only D that can physically handle our forwards is Foote. They have the speed, but we can ABUSE them, and I think that would become apparent over a 7 game series.

They aren't SOFT, but they are kids (younger, smaller kids than us, anyway!). I for sure don't want to be seeing a bigger, stronger Duchene for the next TWENTY freakin years...even if he will be seeing plenty of DD

Edit: I'm just trying to give Colorado credit. I believe we're a better team. But I think some folks are writing them off as a legit team based on how we handle them.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
You think you're the only who has spent years playing and being around the game? Hell, I still play competitive hockey (no, not men's league). If Anderson did such a good job of ONLY giving Smyth the post, then why did he look up to the ceiling afterwards like "Holy ****, I just got lucky on that one." If you seriously think the bar is the ONLY spot Anderson gave Smyth to shoot, and that it had nothing to do with Smyth just barely missing his spot and Anderson getting lucky, then I think you've been out of the game for too long.
Shooting a foot wide and hitting the post are the same thing, you failed to make the goalie save the shot. Hitting the post just makes Smyth look worst, it just means that he beat the goalie and still failed to score.

I don't blame Smyth for the shootout loss, that is completely Ersberg's failure. He gave up 2 weak goals.

Last edited by Sydor25: 03-25-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Shooting a foot wide and hitting the post are the same thing, you failed to make the goalie save the shot. Hitting the post just makes Smyth look worst, it just means that he beat the goalie and still failed to score.

I don't blame Smyth for the shootout loss, that is completely Ersberg's failure. He gave up 2 weak goals.
You're basically supporting my argument. Supposedly Anderson ONLY gave Smyth the bar to shoot at, which is why he hit it. My point is that Anderson got lucky Smyth just barely missed his spot, especially considering the way Anderson reacted after the shot. He didn't FORCE Smyth into hitting c-bar; he knew he got lucky.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:31 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Kopitar was a beast. Finished at least 3-4 hits and was welcoming contact from other players. Looked like a guy who can put a team on his back.

Jones was good. Save this post. This isn't the first game in the last little stretch here that he's been better than Johnson.

Doughty is decent at hockey.

I don't understand why Murray is unhappy with Quick's game. You've got the parade to the penalty box, 2-man advantages and then two own-goals. I thought he was pulling him because he felt bad that the players in front of him had their heads up their *****.

Modin was horrid the last two games.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
I don't understand why Murray is unhappy with Quick's game. You've got the parade to the penalty box, 2-man advantages and then two own-goals. I thought he was pulling him because he felt bad that the players in front of him had their heads up their *****.
He was off his angles again and had horrible rebound control. First goal never happens if he uses his glove instead of his stick and he was slow getting across for the 2nd goal. Third goal could have been a pass through the crease, don't remember how high Doughty was setup.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:37 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Kopitar was a beast. Finished at least 3-4 hits and was welcoming contact from other players. Looked like a guy who can put a team on his back.

Jones was good. Save this post. This isn't the first game in the last little stretch here that he's been better than Johnson.

Doughty is decent at hockey.

Modin was horrid the last two games.
Murray probably figured, "a comeback is unlikely, let's get him a little extra rest."

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:45 AM
shadow1

Quote:
Call me a homer, but I feel the opposite. I look at Phoenix's team, and outside of Doan don't see much top end talent; instead, it seems like alot of decent players like Lombardi and Vrbata are having career years.

That's not to say Colorado isn't getting a few outstanding years from rookies, but if all else fails they'll have Stastny and Duchene to lean back on; Columbus and St. Louis didn't have that depth in the middle last year, and it's shown this year.

shadow1 is online now   Reply With Quote