HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Price/Halak situation.

Old
03-25-2010, 03:14 AM
dionysios*

vCash: 500
Price/Halak situation.

Big fan of Price's new pads. Heartbreaker against Buffalo today.. I was rooting for you guys!!

By the way, what do you guys think it would take for the Oilers to acquire Price/Halak, which ever the managment decides they will part ways with. Do you think we have any pieces that are attractive to your hockey club or nothing at all? Just curious.

dionysios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:19 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

We'll leave this open since you're from another board and looking for some outlook. If it goes off-topic, it'll be merged with the Price/Halak thread.

As for what I'd personally want - Eberle. And I doubt Edmonton listens much further after that.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Prokofievian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysios View Post
Big fan of Price's new pads. Heartbreaker against Buffalo today.. I was rooting for you guys!!

By the way, what do you guys think it would take for the Oilers to acquire Price/Halak, which ever the managment decides they will part ways with. Do you think we have any pieces that are attractive to your hockey club or nothing at all? Just curious.
For price? This year's pick, hahahaha. JK, not sure. I'm not sure if we'd want to take a gamble.

I think Halak could go to you guys, I think. For a good, big, defensive d-man with a big shot to play with Markie, preferably. Not sure if that would happen, or if you guys have what we would want.

Prokofievian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:31 AM
Prokofievian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
We'll leave this open since you're from another board and looking for some outlook. If it goes off-topic, it'll be merged with the Price/Halak thread.

As for what I'd personally want - Eberle. And I doubt Edmonton listens much further after that.
I wouldn't give up Price for Eberle, or Paajarvi, as much as I want both of them in our prospect pool. Currently average(for his age, well above average) and competent NHL goalie with, as those who aren't drinking the Halakbollah strychnine would agree, huge potential, for one of two guys who have great potential, but, as they say, anything could happen. Also, I'm not sure either of them would actually crack our top 6 before Price becomes a seriously good goalie. Like all-league goalie.

This is just my opinion though. If you think Eberle, or Paajarvi are going to be worth more than Price, well then, you can make a strong argument for it.

Old
03-25-2010, 03:44 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prokofievian View Post
I wouldn't give up Price for Eberle, or Paajarvi, as much as I want both of them in our prospect pool. Currently average(for his age, well above average) and competent NHL goalie with, as those who aren't drinking the Halakbollah strychnine would agree, huge potential, for one of two guys who have great potential, but, as they say, anything could happen. Also, I'm not sure either of them would actually crack our top 6 before Price becomes a seriously good goalie. Like all-league goalie.

This is just my opinion though. If you think Eberle, or Paajarvi are going to be worth more than Price, well then, you can make a strong argument for it.
As I said, I think Edmonton fans would stop it at Eberle. I'd want a nice defenseman in the package as well.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:49 AM
Prokofievian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
As I said, I think Edmonton fans would stop it at Eberle. I'd want a nice defenseman in the package as well.
Agreed. If we get our d-core settled, I actually like really like our team's chances for successful play-off runs.

Oh, and twilight sucks, btw.

Old
03-25-2010, 04:01 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

what other teams would be willing to offer and what we'd be willing to accept are vastly different I bet.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:25 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysios View Post

Maybe as part of a large package. I can't see a one for one deal materializing. Oilers should try for SK also, Montreal has depth on second line winger and he is a good match with Gagner. I think SK is like 'tender, on the verge of developing into a good player

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:09 AM
TankEller*

As a Habs fan, I would trade the goalie fetching the best return, period. I don't want to gamble on something as random as "potential" to decide who I'm going forward with.

Both goalies are very, very young, with tremendous potential. You get as much as possible. I personnally wouldn't like to be the one taking decisions, but I hope to god one of them gets traded this summer. Let's get our hands on a great young forward with potential able to play in the NHL next year. This, along with Subban, and hopefully a re-signed Plekanec, should make us legit contenders.

As far as the Oilers are concerned, I don't know. I feel like you wouldn't be willing to give up what we'd like to get in return.

If I trade Price to the Oilers, the guy I want in return is Sam Gagner.
If I trade Halak to the Oilers, I want a package of Brule and a decent prospect (Olivier Roy? Rajala?).

Ideally though, I'd dangle an offer to the Flyers and hope they bait and offer us Giroux or, please god, Van Riemsdyk.

A young core of Giroux/Van Riemsdyk/Gagner/Brule - Pouliot - Sergei Kostitsyn - PK Subban - Max Pacioretty would look great, along with Palushaj, Kristo, Leblanc and Avtsin waiting in the minors.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:14 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Tough to say, the better goalie for us right now is Halak but the one with the most upside is Price.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:31 AM
Hank Scorpio

I think our aim right now is to keep them both and as such Edmonton would have to be willing to part with a fair bit a long with take on some salary in decent players. I could see a package including Halak/Price and either one of our older, more expensive D-men going or the Kostitsyn's for a player to player to replace the one coming out of our current line up such as a young defense men preferably with some size or a forward like Penner to replace the Kostitsyn's. We'd also likely require a good prospect for as well as a decent back-up. Again, I know it's a steep price but I really think the organization wants to keep both for the time being and I don't think Edmonton would/will be the only ones trying to acquire one or the other. I do think they have the right tools to get a deal done but it would likely be part of a larger package and also likely more then Edmonton would want to part with.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:37 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
I think our aim right now is to keep them both and as such Edmonton would have to be willing to part with a fair bit a long with take on some salary in decent players. I could see a package including Halak/Price and either one of our older, more expensive D-men going or the Kostitsyn's for a player to player to replace the one coming out of our current line up such as a young defense men preferably with some size or a forward like Penner to replace the Kostitsyn's. We'd also likely require a good prospect for as well as a decent back-up. Again, I know it's a steep price but I really think the organization wants to keep both for the time being and I don't think Edmonton would/will be the only ones trying to acquire one or the other. I do think they have the right tools to get a deal done but it would likely be part of a larger package and also likely more then Edmonton would want to part with.
Best way to shoot ourselves in the foot.

We made a mistake with Chris Higgins, for ONCE, please, now that we have extra-depth at one position, let's make the most of it and get a missing piece.

Halak or Price playing less than 35 games for us next season won't have a great impact on the team...

Van Riemsdyk/Clowe/Giroux/Clowe/Brule playing 82 solid games for us, contributing in improving our offensive depth, will make our team better.

The improvement of this team requires one of our two goalies to leave this summer.

Old
03-25-2010, 06:11 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Tough to say, the better goalie for us right now is Halak but the one with the most upside is Price.
If Price consistently plays like the way he did last night Ill take price, and Id trade Halak while his value is high for a forward/ young D

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 06:14 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
1st in 2010 for Halak + Lapierre + Maxwell + other crap I don't want on the Habs.

Deal?

edit: for the record, I'm not calling Halak crap, I'm calling the other players that.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 06:19 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
1st in 2010 for Halak + Lapierre + Maxwell + other crap I don't want on the Habs.

Deal?

edit: for the record, I'm not calling Halak crap, I'm calling the other players that.
Edm 2011 1st? that way we get Sean Courtier?

Old
03-25-2010, 06:35 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Halak + Lapierre + Yannick Weber/Carle for Smid

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 06:36 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Halak + Lapierre + Yannick Weber/Carle for Smid
Uhm, no. Not even close... Way too many assets to give up for an unproven player.

Old
03-25-2010, 06:50 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

I actually liked Carle in his brief stint with MTL this year

Old
03-25-2010, 06:56 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Uhm, no. Not even close... Way too many assets to give up for an unproven player.
Smid is unproven? He's a 6'3 220 pound 24 year old shut down defenseman who actually has a plus minus rating on a brutal Edmonton team, he's extremely underrated. I doubt Edmonton would trade him though.

Halak's a valuable asset, but Lapierre is basically a 4th liner and Carle and Weber don't have much value on their own since they haven't proven much at the NHL level.

Last edited by YMCMBeaulieu: 03-25-2010 at 07:02 AM.
YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 07:14 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Smid is unproven? He's a 6'3 220 pound 24 year old shut down defenseman who actually has a plus minus rating on a brutal Edmonton team, he's extremely underrated. I doubt Edmonton would trade him though.

Halak's a valuable asset, but Lapierre is basically a 4th liner and Carle and Weber don't have much value on their own since they haven't proven much at the NHL level.
Oh, I perfectly know who Smid is... But some people truly seem to be tossing Weber away because of one hard season.

Halak's a huge asset, and Weber was the most wanted Habs in negociations at the trade deadline last season.

Old
03-25-2010, 07:15 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

halak for five second round picks !!!!!!haha

Old
03-25-2010, 07:15 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Oh, I perfectly know who Smid is... But some people truly seem to be tossing Weber away because of one hard season.

Halak's a huge asset, and Weber was the most wanted Habs in negociations at the trade deadline last season.
I thought Subban was?

Old
03-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Nedved

Quote:

while i can see that, how do you know this?

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 07:49 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
I thought Subban was?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
while i can see that, how do you know this?
Read it on a Mathias Brunet article one year ago.

Old
03-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Darth Joker

Either of the players I'd want from Edmonton for Price or Halak would probably be more than Edmonton would be willing to pay (and, in a couple cases at least, I wouldn't blame them).

The only semi-realistic deal I could perhaps imagine (depending on if Gilbert is in favor in Edmonton right now or now) is JF Jacques, Tom Gilbert, and a draft pick for one of our more crappy depth forwards and Price or Halak. That only works for Montreal, though, if we find a taker for a pure salary dump trade of Hammer or Spacek.

I think Jacques would be a perfect fit on our team's 4th line, and could give some real size and toughness to a line-up that needs a bit of it.

I like Gilbert because he's a decent puckmoving defensemen who can play Top 4 minutes and, most importantly, is right-handed. He is very soft, though, so I'd want more than him alone for Price or Halak.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote