HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Hamhuis

Old
03-24-2010, 08:20 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

vCash: 500
or lock those three into the core and let klein be replaced by josi in a few years and the other spots by blum and franson. i think we are beyond needing a veteren defenseman. we have two olympians, two leaders and one of them captained a silver winning team. i am not worried about leadership on the back end with those three in place

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 09:19 PM
goalscorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
or lock those three into the core and let klein be replaced by josi in a few years and the other spots by blum and franson. i think we are beyond needing a veteren defenseman. we have two olympians, two leaders and one of them captained a silver winning team. i am not worried about leadership on the back end with those three in place
Weber Suter
Hamhuis Josi
Blum Franson

Love it. Where do you eventually squeeze Ellis in though? If he replaces Hammer, we have a pretty small/offensive minded d-core, with no real shutdown man.

Especially love the idea of Klein outta here.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:35 PM
glenngineer

Don't understand all the hate for Klein around here. A few weeks ago it was get Hammer out of here, now people have backed off of him and it's all aboard the Klein hate train. In reality, this is his first full season of big minutes. Not saying he's been perfect but he hasn't been horrible either. He and Hammer have both played well since the Olympic break and since they have been separated. The 2nd and 3rd pairings have their moments but in reality, are still pretty darn good compared to most teams lower pairings.

As far as Hammer re-signing or bolting, it goes back to what Poile said at the trade deadline, if we can advance past the first round of the playoffs, we'll have the money to sign Hamhuis to a deal that is good for him and the team, if not, the deal Hammer can re-sign here for is better for the team and not so much for him. I think Poile wants to give him the money if he can because he's earned it over the years and he realizes having a good top 3 on D is imperative in today's NHL. I have no problem with Poile wanting to keep Hammer around and giving him a decent contract. He's been healthy, eats up minutes and seems to be a good locker room guy.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:08 AM
goalscorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Don't understand all the hate for Klein around here.
I just don't see why he gets the ice time he does. He's weak on the puck, makes sloppy passes, doesn't communicate with his partner(s), not a shut down defensmen or an offensive one. He's just out there. He's average at best throughout the league, but the worst on our team, yet gets PK time and second line pairings.

The biggest thing for me right now is that he will potentially takes a roster spot from Franson, who I think is a much better defensman.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:24 AM
WalkmanX

Regarding Hamhuis i would say that he is a decnt nr3 with a decent partner (NOT Klein). If we could resign him with avg. 3 Mil i would be happy, i would'nt pay him more though.

Regarding Klein im not a big fan of his, like the poster above me pointed out all his weaknesses. If i was to choose between Klein and Franson i for one would choose Franson everytime.

WalkmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:47 AM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█¯█¯██¯█★█¯██¯█¯█╲

vCash: 1100
I think they might let him walk

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If letting him walk means we use the money to go after a scorer, then I say let him walk. I like Dan, but as others have alluded, only at a certain price. We really can't afford another high-level deal in the Erat/Legwand range, where the money simply does not meet the production. If Hamhuis gets 4 million, he needs to produce at a level of 4-5 million. He hasn't done that for several years, IMO. 3.5 is the upper limit I would go with him. If he is resigned, I would guess we are looking at a 5 year, 19 million dollar deal.

03-25-2010, 07:33 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

He's walking or his rights are traded around draft day. Still need to sign Hornqvist, a backup goalie, and a couple of the kids on the blueline (Franson).

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The only one that truly worries me there, 101, is Hornqvist. The others should come pretty cheap.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:19 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I don't hate klein at all. I just think if we can re-sign hamhuis klein becomes expendable again. by expendable i mean i would keep him till the end of his contract because it is a good deal and then roll in another kid.

as far as ellis, he could take the spot most envision for josi. in all reality, we have no idea if blum, ellis, and josi can play in the nhl. I am just banking on two if not all three.

if all three pan out, i think klein would be gone and franson. franson mainly because of finances. in fact if suter and weber are signed to lifetime deals which I hope they are, all these young d-men become expendable.

Old
03-25-2010, 09:17 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
I just don't see why he gets the ice time he does. He's weak on the puck, makes sloppy passes, doesn't communicate with his partner(s), not a shut down defensmen or an offensive one. He's just out there. He's average at best throughout the league, but the worst on our team, yet gets PK time and second line pairings.

The biggest thing for me right now is that he will potentially takes a roster spot from Franson, who I think is a much better defensman.
Have you been watching the guys since the Olympic break? His game has noticeably gotten better. Once someone labels a guy around here, others just follow on in and the label is never broken. Many people thought the same about Suter the last few years and while he wasn't elite at that time, he wasn't as bad as many were claiming him to be. He got the label so everyone just kept saying he wasn't very good or we should've picked Phaneuf. The crowd around here and the other main boards crack me up in this regard because a comment picks up steam and others run with it. I'm not saying Klein is god's great gift to the blue line but he sure is better than you're giving him credit for. I mean, we could give deVries a call and see what he's up to if you want to see everything you listed above about a defenseman come to fruition on the ice on a nightly basis.

As far as the comment about Franson, Franson is learning at this level as well. Both are playing their first full season at this level. Franson needs to work on his footwork and overall speed. He makes up for a lot of his gaffes with his size and reach. I like Franson and what he's brought to the team right now but if he were so much better, why does he not get PK time or crucial minutes in the third period of games? If you notice, Trotz has sat Cody in the third period of games as of late, especially in tight defensive situations. I'm not defending Trotz's decisions either but there must be a reason for this.

Whether or not we like Klein or if he's a good or bad player, he's been a part of this team's success and failures this year and last time I checked, we're in 6th place right now so if it means we stay in that slot because of what Klein does on the ice, I can live with that. Remember, the streaks we have been on were when Klein and Hamhuis were not paired together and the team took off. Earlier this year we had a great 10 game stretch and 6 of the last 7 we've won with Klein/Bouillon and Hamhuis/Franson as the bottom two pairings. We've also had a few 1-0 games and 1 goal games in there so if Klein's D is so bad, you'd think we would've given up a goal or two in three of those shootouts because of his ineptitude. Just something to think about.

Old
03-25-2010, 11:02 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
The only one that truly worries me there, 101, is Hornqvist. The others should come pretty cheap.
We're already at about a $41.5mil cap hit for next season with only 16 guys. I don't see any realistic way to keep Hamhuis and Hornqvist ... or Grebs for that matter.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
We're already at about a $41.5mil cap hit for next season with only 16 guys. I don't see any realistic way to keep Hamhuis and Hornqvist ... or Grebs for that matter.
Could force Captain Softy to waive his NTC/NMC

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Bad Karma

In a contract year BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! He'll be like he was in 05-06 and 07-08. Just watch move him and you'll be asking why did we let him go.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Predsrule

this was better for new topic**

Last edited by Predsrule: 03-25-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 12:09 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
With Blum and Sulzer that's $1.6 million, 43.1mil with 18 players. Hornqvist maybe 2 million, 45.1 mil 19 players.

I think one of the big contract boys will be traded. Sullivan, Dumont, Arnott should be considered on the block unless management knows a player is going to retire. Problem is that all three have NMC. Same with Erat. Legwand has a NTC. Poile's painted himself into a corner unless he KNOWS this is the year teams go nuts with QO's. Sadly if that happens Hornqvist is gone.

As of right now. Team needs 4 defensemen, they can pull up to three from Milwaukee: Blum, Sulzer, and possibly Josi. Franson can be signed moderately cheaply.

Forward wise: Belak is gone and Boyd, Hornqvist, and O'Reilly are RFA's. Hornqvist will be the expensive one.

Backup goalie is where money needs to be sent.

Even then Nashville will be up against their usual spending limit of 45 million. Someone who's making 4 mill has to go.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:31 PM
jstreet

vCash: 1613
somewhat related

Dan comes to the YMCA and hangs out with one of my teens with special needs. Off the ice he is a super guy and he gave this teen one of his sticks this year for his birthday.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
Dan comes to the YMCA and hangs out with one of my teens with special needs. Off the ice he is a super guy and he gave this teen one of his sticks this year for his birthday.
this stuff never gets reported in the media ... yet when the Titanics hand out pig skins to under privileged kids it makes front page news

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:12 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
With Blum and Sulzer that's $1.6 million, 43.1mil with 18 players. Hornqvist maybe 2 million, 45.1 mil 19 players.

I think one of the big contract boys will be traded. Sullivan, Dumont, Arnott should be considered on the block unless management knows a player is going to retire. Problem is that all three have NMC. Same with Erat. Legwand has a NTC. Poile's painted himself into a corner unless he KNOWS this is the year teams go nuts with QO's. Sadly if that happens Hornqvist is gone.

As of right now. Team needs 4 defensemen, they can pull up to three from Milwaukee: Blum, Sulzer, and possibly Josi. Franson can be signed moderately cheaply.

Forward wise: Belak is gone and Boyd, Hornqvist, and O'Reilly are RFA's. Hornqvist will be the expensive one.

Backup goalie is where money needs to be sent.

Even then Nashville will be up against their usual spending limit of 45 million. Someone who's making 4 mill has to go.
I thought O'Reilly was signed on a one way for next year. Just checked and he is.

Not sure why you said we need 4 defensemen? Weber, Suter and Klein all signed thru next year. Sulzer is as well I thought. Yeah, all 4 are signed so we need two guys on the blue line.

I think one of the $4 million guys is gone and my bet is it's Dumont with his reduced role this year. Re-sign Boyd and Hornqvist and I think we're fine. Boyd isn't going to make a killing on the open market as a RFA and people aren't going to offer a ton to Hornqvist after one season of 30 goals. Remember Dustin Penner and what he got from Edmonton, I just don't see it happening.

Old
03-25-2010, 02:15 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

josi will not be with the nashville predators next year. he will be an admiral. even if hamhuis walks weber-suter-klein-sulzer-franson-blum. if sulzer doen't make it, it will be becuase ryan ellis outplayed him. I just don't see a kid coming over from europe and making an nhl team without proving himself somewhat on north american ice vs north american talent

Old
03-25-2010, 02:47 PM
jlsg

Agree token. Big adjustment for Josi. Some make it some don't. He may see a few games during the season, but I expect him to play in Milwaukee. Blum should be ready but I doubt we see Ellis next year. He's not quite done cooking yet.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:33 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I think Blum will be ready. I'm thinking financially. Dumont I think would be the best bet for a trade simply because of his reduced role and his youth compared to Sully and Arnott. In addition, Sully and Arnott are on one years where as Dumont is on a two year. My question is this; If you have an RFA who does not receive a QO from another team but you can't afford to keep them what happens to the rights?

My thought would be Poile trade Grebs for picks and we see: Weber-Suter, Klien-Franson, Sulzer-Blum. Josi is in Milwaukee with another prospect with COR in CHL and Ellis in the AHL.

Forward wise I want to know what happens to Boyd?

Old
03-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
I think Blum will be ready. I'm thinking financially. Dumont I think would be the best bet for a trade simply because of his reduced role and his youth compared to Sully and Arnott. In addition, Sully and Arnott are on one years where as Dumont is on a two year. My question is this; If you have an RFA who does not receive a QO from another team but you can't afford to keep them what happens to the rights?

My thought would be Poile trade Grebs for picks and we see: Weber-Suter, Klien-Franson, Sulzer-Blum. Josi is in Milwaukee with another prospect with COR in CHL and Ellis in the AHL.

Forward wise I want to know what happens to Boyd?
Would you take Dumont at $4 mil? I wouldn't either. I think it would be difficult to find a dancing partner on that one.

What's your question on Boyd?

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:02 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Would you take Dumont at $4 mil? I wouldn't either. I think it would be difficult to find a dancing partner on that one.

What's your question on Boyd?
I look at the number of forwards and the prospects waiting to play and Boyd would be a roadblock for most of them.

Old
03-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
I look at the number of forwards and the prospects waiting to play and Boyd would be a roadblock for most of them.
O.K., I thought maybe it was something else I wasn't looking at. I guess for the money and having shown that he's able to play Trotz's system, I was figuring on keeping him. I think he's a more skilled version of the "cast of thousands" 3/4 liners and I would be more satisfied in working him in than some of the other stiffs I've seen. As far as blocking prospects, well there's always the Uberroadblock behind the bench, but that's another story.....

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote