HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lotto win more likely than playoffs for Rangers

Old
03-25-2010, 02:48 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Again, look at the penguins. No winning culture before Crosby and then they won the Stanley cup. Caps had no winning culture, but then they got ovechin, green semin and backstrom from being bad. "winning culture" is a myth. Bring in good players and they will win.
No winning culture? Back to back Cups in the 90's doesn't count?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:48 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Hasn't that been tried before and we still missed the playoffs. Culture is definitely part of it. Without it, and team chemistry, you can bring in the all star team and you will be unsuccessful. Penguns and Caps have both missed the playoffs with Crosby and Ovechkin....and the Caps haven't won yet. Look at the Devils and Red Wings. Multiple cups. When have the Red Wings tanked?
devils/red wings management & ownership >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rangers management & ownership

It's a fine idea to want to build the way they do, but it's a lot harder to put into practice. More teams win by being bad first than do teams that are consistently good year after year.

Of course I'd like to have a good team every year, but this is where we are. We are a bad team. There's no getting around it. We might as well make the best of a bad situation.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:50 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
No winning culture? Back to back Cups in the 90's doesn't count?
And how many bad years in between?

Look, if the 7 dark years and the lockout didn't kill our "winning culture" then there's no way this year will. Though more likely we've never had a winning culture here to begin with.

Old
03-25-2010, 02:55 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post

Look, if the 7 dark years and the lockout didn't kill our "winning culture" then there's no way this year will. Though more likely we've never had a winning culture here to begin with.
What constitutes a "winning culture"? The only teams that come to mind are Detroit and NJ.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Little late Larry.

This should have been the article he wrote before the deadline.

Its been abundantly clear that this year has been a transition year from the very start.
With Sather EVERY YEAR is a transition year from the start. He overhauls half the roster every year. Why should he stop now?

Next year will be a transition year too. And the year after that...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:59 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
What constitutes a "winning culture"? The only teams that come to mind are Detroit and NJ.
I have no idea. You argued that the Pens had a winning culture due to 2 cups in the early 90's.

IMO, the whole idea is overblown. Yeah, winning is contagious and so is losing, but there isn't that much impact from one year to the next. Players move around too much these days.

Getting a higher draft pick would have a much greater impact on this organization than any perceived "winning culture" would be diminished by losing.

Old
03-25-2010, 04:07 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Quote:

Totally agree. The big problem I have is that while we're pretty much right between the last playoff spot and last place, it's going to take a big streak of winning or losing to have a positive effect on the team either short term(playoffs) or long term(cheap franchise player through 1st or 2nd pick).

If you look at http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E...c/Rangers.html you'll see that winning even two more games makes it really unlikely to nab a 1st or 2nd pick. IMO grabbing a 1st or 2nd means Hall or Seguin which would be the closest you can get this year to a guaranteed franchise player for DIRT CHEAP until RFA which is around the same time our contracts of death come off the books.

I hate watching the Rangers lose just as much as the next fan. But sometimes you do something unpleasant NOW to make sure the future is brighter. It's like going to the dentist.

We've got a chance that we haven't had in a long time to land a great player for free. We could lose the 1st round of the playoffs in 4 or 5 games, or we could add another star player to the team for years to come.

I'd like to beat the devils tonight and then lose every single game the rest of the season.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:12 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually, if we're discussing future games that the Rangers could win that improve their chances it's the final two games of the season against the Flyers.

Win those two and we're only 2 points behind them. Easy to make up that difference in the preceding games.

There's NO DOUBT in my mind that the above scenario and picking up the additional two points in the other games is more likely than winning the lottery.

Last edited by klingsor: 03-25-2010 at 04:29 PM.
klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:25 PM
drewcon40

Great points everyone. Another thing that makes me skeptical is that while lately our 1st round pick selections have been much better (Staal, Del Zotto and potential of Sanguinetti and Kreider....Gordie Clark's influence, perhaps?), this team seems to flounder with "single-digit" picks. I know that some of these were different regimes and different scouts but Pavel Brendl, Jamie Lundmark, Al Montoya were all very high picks that did not work out.

You know what would be nice to discover? Do you remember the Beyond the Blueshirts show on MSG they had a few years ago? It ran for 2 years and they had one for the 2003 draft then the 2004 draft. The 2003 draft show was great as it shows the Rangers screening Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, Dion Phaneuf, Andrei Kostitsyn along with Jessiman. I wonder if another team did a similar show and can see what they thought of Jessiman and Montoya at the time of their picks. Maloney absolutely loved Parise but it seemed like the Rangers wanted Phaneuf or Suter and settled for Jessiman.

Back to the point of the thread and everyone's tremendous input. I think we will wind up picking between 9-15. I certainly hope an impact player is available. Personally, I wouldn't mind finding a team in cap trouble with a young potential player **COUGH BOBBY RYAN**COUGH...and see if we could package the pick. I am not sure Seguin nor Hall are possibilities.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:28 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
devils/red wings management & ownership >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rangers management & ownership

It's a fine idea to want to build the way they do, but it's a lot harder to put into practice. More teams win by being bad first than do teams that are consistently good year after year.

Of course I'd like to have a good team every year, but this is where we are. We are a bad team. There's no getting around it. We might as well make the best of a bad situation.
This. Anyone who thinks this franchise is going to be like the Red Wings or Devils is living in a fantasy world. There is a reason only 2 teams out of 30 have been successful in that fashion. It's not easy to do. In fact, it's impossible with an incompetent like Sather running the show.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:31 PM
beastly115

We're so close to the bottom and all Sather had to do was sell at the deadline. Trade off Prospal, Jokinen, Girardi, and any other spare parts. We could have easily gotten to the #2 spot. I hate you, Glen Sather. More than ever before.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
We're so close to the bottom and all Sather had to do was sell at the deadline. Trade off Prospal, Jokinen, Girardi, and any other spare parts. We could have easily gotten to the #2 spot. I hate you, Glen Sather. More than ever before.
Amen brother. Amen.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Hey! Anything can happen in the... 9th place.

*vomits*

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 06:34 PM
ThirdEye

Don la Greca said on the radio that even if Boston goes .500 in their remaining games, we'd have to get 15/18 points just to pass them. It's just not happening, sorry. The Rangers took advantage of their chances the last few years when they squeezed in, but this season it's too damn late. The Rangers simply didn't take things seriously this season when the games mattered most. Know they're ****ed

Hank can play like Patrick Roy in the playoffs the next 9 games and we still probably won't make

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 07:09 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
NYR luck = no playoffs...no lottery...even if they tried for both

like a previous post said...they cant even lose right.

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote