HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Teddy Purcell

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2010, 12:31 PM
  #1
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go
 
Kurrilino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Teddy Purcell

After a couple of weeks after the trade dealine....

What do you think abhout the Purcell deal.
Like everyone know i was always one of the biggest Purcell
supporters and i don't want to judge the deal to much.

But..... Why do the Moulsons, Purcells, Parses play
so bad here in L.A.

Just for the facts.... Purcell has 7 Points in 11 Games now in Tampa.
He had 6 here in 41 Games
I don't have to tell you what Moulson is doing in New York.
I'm really afraid the next one is Frolov


I'm pretty sure this has a lot to do with the coaching staff.
I mean it's hard to call the crap, the coaching staff is teaching, hockey.
There are young guys coming into the team who just left the juniors or AHL
where they learned the hockey basic.
So, everyone did expect somesolid numbers from Purcell
because he got PP time.
But that was not really a fair chance because our PP system sucks.
Beside that he had to play on the Ivanans line and just a couple of minutes
beside Kopitar.
When they arrive here, they have to forget all that hockey stuff and have to lear
Rugby and WWE Wrestling at the boards.


It's time to get rid of the whole coaching staff............
I can't take this anymore.
We are always outplayed by fast and well coached teams and i'm, sick of this.
I can't believe here are still guys who defend Murray and co

BTW............... the Halpern deal sucks

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:08 PM
  #2
Fripp
Registered User
 
Fripp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 1,829
vCash: 500
Happy he's gone. The return is irrelevant.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:13 PM
  #3
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,863
vCash: 500
halpern will be a better asset for us come the playoffs

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:18 PM
  #4
Brad Doty
Moderator
Compliance Hero
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 10,174
vCash: 250
What those players have in common is that they struggle with system hockey. They're thriving in more offensive systems on teams that aren't doing as well. What's there not to get about this?

Look at our roster. There's a good amount of skill, but it's mostly big bodies that can cycle (with the elite players like Kopitar, Doughty, that can exhibit creativity within it). Teddy didn't show the ability to succeed in those situations.

This team is built for the playoffs. Soft players need not apply (though I will say Moulson didn't get a fair shake).

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:19 PM
  #5
DIEHARD the King fan
Registered User
 
DIEHARD the King fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: blueline to slot
Country: United States
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
The trade was fine. We got something (albeit not much) for basically nothing (at least in terms of what he brought to our team.

Now your other point is a more valid one: I do think the TM style of hockey is detrimental to a particular players performance. Frolov, as I have said before, is a classic example. He now plays almost exclusively along the boards, he rarely slashes to the net or through the circles, but that is not his fault, but rather a result of the puck possession game the coach has instilled in our team. IMHO, for the talent we have, we should have a more dynamic offense, but the trade off may be a less defensive minded team, and we all know, as long-time Kings fans, how that works out.

But just add Edward scissorhands Purcell to the ever lengthening list of players who were here and flourished once they left. I would bet that our team's list in the regard is longer than any other!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:27 PM
  #6
Brad Doty
Moderator
Compliance Hero
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 10,174
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
The trade was fine. We got something (albeit not much) for basically nothing (at least in terms of what he brought to our team.

Now your other point is a more valid one: I do think the TM style of hockey is detrimental to a particular players performance. Frolov, as I have said before, is a classic example. He now plays almost exclusively along the boards, he rarely slashes to the net or through the circles, but that is not his fault, but rather a result of the puck possession game the coach has instilled in our team. IMHO, for the talent we have, we should have a more dynamic offense, but the trade off may be a less defensive minded team, and we all know, as long-time Kings fans, how that works out.

But just add Edward scissorhands Purcell to the ever lengthening list of players who were here and flourished once they left. I would bet that our team's list in the regard is longer than any other!
Agree. It's a big tradeoff though. I have no doubt most of our players would put up better numbers elsewhere, but they have yet to prove they can help put up wins.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:36 PM
  #7
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks
 
Zizou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 695
vCash: 500
Halpern can be a valuable center. His contributions so far have been, for the most part off-ice and in the locker room but he can still contribute on the ice. And when the wear and tear of the playoffs begins, TM will need everybody on board.

Basically, the way things were going and the position Purcell plays... Purcell would have been a healthy scratch the day the playoffs started whereas Halpern is expected to play. What else is needed to be said?

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:36 PM
  #8
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,700
vCash: 500
Purcell could a point per game with Tampa, I don't care.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
  #9
Chazz Reinhold
Registered User
 
Chazz Reinhold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Stanley Cup
Country: United States
Posts: 6,936
vCash: 500
Purcell has a whopping 1 goal (on a penalty shot, no less) in 11 games with Tampa.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:40 PM
  #10
BigBrown
They did it again!
 
BigBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,050
vCash: 500
Yes, Teddy couldn't adapt to the heavy cycle game the Kings are playing so he's gone. I don't blame Teddy and I don't blame the coaches, it just wasn't a good fit. He will no doubt have success in a system that plays to his strengths but do we really need players who can only succeed in certain types of systems?

Besides, we had a creative attacking system with Marc Crawford and I don't miss those days one bit.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:41 PM
  #11
KingsCast
Registered User
 
KingsCast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
Teddy Purcell is showing signs of life in Tampa. Who cares?

He would still be a healthy scratch with the Kings. Halpern is fine. We never expected him to score 15 goals with us.

As for next year, the depth of quality prospects within the organization is great and Purcell, a third and a conditional seventh we can do without.

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:44 PM
  #12
Tadite
Registered User
 
Tadite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
What those players have in common is that they struggle with system hockey. They're thriving in more offensive systems on teams that aren't doing as well. What's there not to get about this?

Look at our roster. There's a good amount of skill, but it's mostly big bodies that can cycle (with the elite players like Kopitar, Doughty, that can exhibit creativity within it). Teddy didn't show the ability to succeed in those situations.

+1.

Frankly when you look at the top teams in the NHL they are all skilled, physical, and area always defensibly responsible.

Honestly, why on earth are people bagging on the Coaching staff about how Teddy didn't work out and not give them any credit for the rise of Kopitar as a legit 1st line center or how Doughty has become a legit number 1 d-man and how Quick as become a legit starting NHL goalie.

What? All that was just destiny and the coaching staff was irrelevant? Heck if you want to look at secondary guys who are blossoming how about Simmonds or Richardson? If anything this team is filled with guys we drafted or developed into NHL players.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:45 PM
  #13
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,175
vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Purcell has a whopping 1 goal (on a penalty shot, no less) in 11 games with Tampa.
And that's 1 more goal and 7 more points than Halpern.

I really didn't want to post on this thread because as much as I supported Da Tedster, I'm pretty much exhausted defending him. However, because your post lacked objectivity and fairness, I had no choice.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:45 PM
  #14
HeadInjury
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
Our PP sucks? Dude, do you even watch hockey? Our power play is ranked sixth in the league.

Our coaches can't develop players? Yeah, Simmonds, Doughty, Johnson, Quick, etc. Those guys aren't good at all.

As for Purcell, Tampa Bay is 3-7-1 since he was acquired. He's been a -5 player for them. They were in the playoff hunt before the trade, and they're out of it now. Is it his fault? No, but please don't make him out to be the second coming.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:46 PM
  #15
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
And that's 1 more goal and 7 more points than Halpern.
Meaningless.

Halpern could score 0 points and still be useful. If Purcell scores 0 points he is utterly useless.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:50 PM
  #16
Chazz Reinhold
Registered User
 
Chazz Reinhold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Stanley Cup
Country: United States
Posts: 6,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
And that's 1 more goal and 7 more points than Halpern.

I really didn't want to post on this thread because as much as I supported Da Tedster, I'm pretty much exhausted defending him. However, because your post lacked objectivity and fairness, I had no choice.
He's playing in an offensive role in Tampa; Halpern is not playing in an offensive role here. People were blowing their loads all over the place chastising the Kings for trading him when Purcell started off "hot" with Tampa. He hasn't even scored a goal in a normal game situation yet.

He's still young (somewhat) and has time to develop, but to bemoan the fact that trading him is going to hurt the Kings in the future just seems ridiculous (not saying you said this; just a general statement).

Hopefully he succeeds with Tampa, but I'm not going to miss him.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:01 PM
  #17
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,175
vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Meaningless.

Halpern could score 0 points and still be useful. If Purcell scores 0 points he is utterly useless.
I actually agree with you. My point to Chazz was simply that Da Tedster is actually doing fairly well in TB as far as offensive production is concerned. Yeah, if TP were still here, he'd be riding the pine and be useless to us.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
He's playing in an offensive role in Tampa; Halpern is not playing in an offensive role here. People were blowing their loads all over the place chastising the Kings for trading him when Purcell started off "hot" with Tampa. He hasn't even scored a goal in a normal game situation yet.

He's still young (somewhat) and has time to develop, but to bemoan the fact that trading him is going to hurt the Kings in the future just seems ridiculous (not saying you said this; just a general statement).

Hopefully he succeeds with Tampa, but I'm not going to miss him.
Halpern really doesn't have much of a role on this team other than to just sit and be a veteran leader by not complaining. I think Halpern will be beneficial down the road but up to now, he's been pretty much been a non-factor unfortunately.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:28 PM
  #18
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Halpern really doesn't have much of a role on this team other than to just sit and be a veteran leader by not complaining. I think Halpern will be beneficial down the road but up to now, he's been pretty much been a non-factor unfortunately.
Speaking of that leadership, it says alot that Halpern is one of 5 players on that committee. Also, listening to Halpern in interviews, you can just tell the guy oozes positivity in character.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:37 PM
  #19
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,863
vCash: 500
I hope he does well in Tampa, Id much rather him put up good numbers in Tampa than sit in the press box in LA

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:46 PM
  #20
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, Nv.
Country: United States
Posts: 26,169
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
They usually have problems because they are top 6 or bust assets and we just don't have the space to be playing around with having them up in that role for extended periods of time. That and Murray demands bottom 6 grinding defensive efforts from his top 6 players. If you can't play a two way game, you aren't going to have very much success here.

I am completely satisfied with the deal. It was a hockey deal and I feel much more at least having Halpern lead the bottom 6 going into the post-season.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:47 PM
  #21
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,787
vCash: 500
It's a good thing that we can't find places on the roster for players like Purcell. That means we have a legitimate team that wins games and doesn't need scrubs on their 2-4th lines. Boyle is a great example of this. People complained when we got rid of him and he started out doing well for the Rangers. Where are they now? Where is he now? Struggling with them. The Kings are a better team, meaning players who are borderline for the NHL and system don't have room on this team anymore. I don't get why people act like it's a bad thing.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:59 PM
  #22
DeeMeck
Registered User
 
DeeMeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,366
vCash: 50
Personally, I say screw this systematic hockey that wins hockey games...

Let's go back to run and gun hockey and let the players do what they want. It is definitely better to eagerly watch the draft lottery and drool over the prospect that we are going to get. Definitely way more fun than playoff hockey.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:10 PM
  #23
LA Kings Cup Champs
Registered User
 
LA Kings Cup Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: KINGS of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Personally, I say screw this systematic hockey that wins hockey games...

Let's go back to run and gun hockey and let the players do what they want. It is definitely better to eagerly watch the draft lottery and drool over the prospect that we are going to get. Definitely way more fun than playoff hockey.
You forgot one of these ()

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:11 PM
  #24
DeeMeck
Registered User
 
DeeMeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,366
vCash: 50
I would hope that it wasn't needed

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:13 PM
  #25
hangons
Registered User
 
hangons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Westlake Village
Posts: 730
vCash: 500
Purcell had plenty of opportunities here on every line from first to fourth. He never did anything but choke. Good luck to him, but he sucks.

hangons is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.