HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price/Halak situation.

Old
03-25-2010, 08:11 AM
TheCH*

vCash: 500
Halak has always been treated like crap by this organization and Price has had everything just handed to him on a silver patter. Now that Halak has finally been given a chance, he has proven what i have known for the last few years - he is the better goalie.

It wouldn't shock me to see them trade Halak though. For some reason habs fans want Price to be the goalie no matter what, they don't like seeing Halak succeed. If Halak goes, the microscope on Price will be extremely intense and if he crumbles under the pressure like he has shown he is apt to do, he will be run out of town pretty damn quick and the habs will be left with Desjardins as their starter.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

For all those who mentioned Weber, I'd keep him for the time being, as he will blossom once Subby is up permanently on the island. Then his value will be much more. Weber might just take more time to develop.

Now as for trading one of Halak or Price, I'd say no to both, but hypothetically speaking, I would be looking for someone to replace Hammer on the long term, and I don't see that on the Oilers squad.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Craig71

As well as Halak has played I feel he will be the one traded. He is clearly more ready to be the number 1 guy, however I feel Price may have more long term upside. If Price can get everything sorted out (hopefully he does) the trade of Halak for a good player in return will ease the pain of losing him. I just wonder how good of a player we can get in return when the salary cap will be a major issue for the team, do we go for a draft pick on draft day? We have to sign Plekanec, Price/Halak, so how much can you get for either goalie when salary is an issue?

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:16 AM
NewHabsEra*

I think Halak's value will be at its best this summer, we will be surprised with what we will get.. Some teams have no quality goaltenders and are realizing it more than ever.. The Wings, Flyers, Edmonton are 3 teams coming to my mind..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:20 AM
smtevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think Halak's value will be at its best this summer, we will be surprised with what we will get.. Some teams have no quality goaltenders and are realizing it more than ever.. The Wings, Flyers, Edmonton are 3 teams coming to my mind..
Wings? Pretty sure Howard is better than Halak so they won't be looking for a goalie, if anything they will try and dump osbad.

smtevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:21 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
The Wings, Flyers, Edmonton are 3 teams coming to my mind..
The Wings were a prime target last year but Jimmy Howard seems to be stepping up to the plate and I don't think they put themselves in this type of scenario.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:22 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Halak has always been treated like crap by this organization and Price has had everything just handed to him on a silver patter. Now that Halak has finally been given a chance, he has proven what i have known for the last few years - he is the better goalie.

It wouldn't shock me to see them trade Halak though. For some reason habs fans want Price to be the goalie no matter what, they don't like seeing Halak succeed. If Halak goes, the microscope on Price will be extremely intense and if he crumbles under the pressure like he has shown he is apt to do, he will be run out of town pretty damn quick and the habs will be left with Desjardins as their starter.
Thats not how it seems at the Bell Centre in the few times I've been there, as well as what you hear on TV.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:25 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

whens the last time goaltender got trade for anyhting remotly valuable? Leclair is last i know, he was traded along with 2nd rounder for vermette. he also had season of 9 SO and 50 more NHL games then both our goalies.

so, what are people expecting as a return? i dont think goalies trade for much... anyone got any good examples?

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:29 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
whens the last time goaltender got trade for anyhting remotly valuable? Leclair is last i know, he was traded along with 2nd rounder for vermette. he also had season of 9 SO and 50 more NHL games then both our goalies.

so, what are people expecting as a return? i dont think goalies trade for much... anyone got any good examples?
You bring up a good point. There haven't been many goalies traded. But there was one last year.

Pascal Leclaire for Antoine Vermette.

I'm not a huge Vermette fan but I'd take a player like him in exchange for Halak. aka 55-65 point player, nice top 6 depth.

Old
03-25-2010, 11:34 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
You bring up a good point. There haven't been many goalies traded. But there was one last year.

Pascal Leclaire for Antoine Vermette.

I'm not a huge Vermette fan but I'd take a player like him in exchange for Halak. aka 55-65 point player, nice top 6 depth.
yea i mention that, remeber they had to give up a 2nd rounder, so doubt halak will give u anything top 6 or top 4 def face value, since i doubt halaks value is any higher then leclair was when the trade happen.

and that was because ottawa REALLY needed a goaltender, so imaging if teams are not in the spot ottawa was when they acquierd Leclair, value would be even lower. anyone know anny recent trades of goaltenders that braught back value? (not talking about goalies that have huge salaries(giggy, toskala), or goalies who are in their last 25% of their careers)

Last edited by uiCk: 03-25-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old
03-25-2010, 11:38 AM
macavoy

Quote:
yea i mention that
apparantly I suck at reading lol. I totally skimmed your post and I failed at my research as well cuz I didn't notice the 2nd rounder either.

However I'd gladly include a 2nd rounder in a package to get a proven top 6 player. This is why I hated the Moore trade so much. A 2nd rounder can fetch you something decent. I mean Moore is great fit in our bottom 6 and has made it better, but its too much to give for a bottom 6 rental.

Old
03-25-2010, 12:10 PM
dionysios*

Since it sounds like you guys are looking for a big two-way defender, Ryan Whitney (a package including him) sounds like he would be the perfect fit... Although i think he's going to be the Oilers captain next year and they might want to keep him for the rebuild to provide leadership.

dionysios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 12:18 PM
dionysios*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
Edm 2011 1st? that way we get Sean Courtier?
haha, not a chance!

dionysios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
WestIslander

At the draft:

To Washington:

Jaroslav Halak + Maxime Lapierre

To Montreal:

Tomas Fleischmann + Karl Alzner + 1st round draft pick in 2010

Then:

Trade both of our 1st round draft picks to move up and draft Hall, Seguin, Fowler, Connolly or Sheahan

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtevo View Post
Wings? Pretty sure Howard is better than Halak so they won't be looking for a goalie, if anything they will try and dump osbad.
Howard is nowhere near as good as his stats. I see a decent number of Wings games and can say Howard would be eaten alive in Montreal. That said, he is also a rookie.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
yea i mention that, remeber they had to give up a 2nd rounder, so doubt halak will give u anything top 6 or top 4 def face value, since i doubt halaks value is any higher then leclair was when the trade happen.

and that was because ottawa REALLY needed a goaltender, so imaging if teams are not in the spot ottawa was when they acquierd Leclair, value would be even lower. anyone know anny recent trades of goaltenders that braught back value? (not talking about goalies that have huge salaries(giggy, toskala), or goalies who are in their last 25% of their careers)
You have to remember that Halak is also substantially better than Leclaire so you would have to think he'd have more value.

Old
03-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
At the draft:

To Washington:

Jaroslav Halak + Maxime Lapierre

To Montreal:

Tomas Fleischmann + Karl Alzner + 1st round draft pick in 2010

Then:

Trade both of our 1st round draft picks to move up and draft Hall, Seguin, Fowler, Connolly or Sheahan
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA , you wish you get that much value for Halak and yappy. Forget about Alzner forget about the 1st and then the caps think about it. Why would they really do this though , they already have Varlamov...
No way anybody trades a top 3 pick in this draft.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
We'll leave this open since you're from another board and looking for some outlook. If it goes off-topic, it'll be merged with the Price/Halak thread.

As for what I'd personally want - Eberle. And I doubt Edmonton listens much further after that.
Is that for either, or just Halak ? Either or, I shake my head at you.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 03-25-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I don't like the debate of who's better between Halak and Price even if my opinion is that this year Halak has been better then Price, not only in the win column, but in his overall performance as well.

What mind****s me though, is that this team is completely different when Halak is on. I think they're more focused and calm when Halak is on net.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:59 PM
WestIslander

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA , you wish you get that much value for Halak and yappy. Forget about Alzner forget about the 1st and then the caps think about it. Why would they really do this though , they already have Varlamov...
No way anybody trades a top 3 pick in this draft.
Halak is better than Varlamov and your 1st will be between 26th and 30th overall.

You want Price instead?

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Is that for either, or just Halak ? Either or, I shake my head at you.

People, stop quoting Westislander. He's not smart. I made it so I couldn't see his posts anymore and you should do the same.
Didn't know , just popped out to me as bad had to mention it.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:01 PM
macavoy

Back to the OP,

I'd trade Halak + what you needed for

Halak + ??? = Hemsky
Halak = Horcoff
Halak = Gagner
Halak - Cogliano

To get Price, I'd probably have to get that 1st round pick this year. However I would have a really hard time pulling any of the above Halak trades.

Old
03-25-2010, 02:11 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
You have to remember that Halak is also substantially better than Leclaire so you would have to think he'd have more value.
pretty sure his value was rated higher then halak`s value right now. 9SO in one season (ignore his ****y time with ottawa) is more imrpessive than any stats price or halak has imo.

i just dont think halak went from not being able to be traded for 2nd rounder, to being worth ryan whitney, in less then 6 months. thats were i think the line between HF boarders are and actual people in the field.

other then leclair, i got kari lethonen who seem to have gotten a decent return from dallas,

Old
03-25-2010, 02:15 PM
macavoy

Quote:
pretty sure his value was rated higher then halak`s value right now. 9SO in one season (ignore his ****y time with ottawa) is more imrpessive than any stats price or halak has imo.

i just dont think halak went from not being able to be traded for 2nd rounder, to being worth ryan whitney, in less then 6 months. thats were i think the line between HF boarders are and actual people in the field.
I disagree. I think Halak's value right now is greater than Leclaires because Leclaire had basically lost his job whereas Halak has stolen the #1 job. Even though Leclaire had better career stats when he was traded, he was at an all time low in terms of on ice performance and overall value.

Whereas Halak has now been in the league for over 3 years, he's not a flash in the pan. Whereas Leclaire very well could be.

Halak's value has gone up that much in 6 months. Thats what playing and being a #1 goalie can do to your value instead of being a backup.

Old
03-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

other then leclair, i got kari lethonen who seem to have gotten a decent return from dallas,
You put way too much stock into shutouts. leclaire was in the middle of a crappy season where he lost his starters job to Mason. Leclaire has had 1 good season his entire career and 1 good season behind a stingy defensive team wasn't going to fool anybody. Ottawa simply overpaid, and got burned.