HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Shades of 1997

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2010, 01:12 PM
  #1
Wings4Life
Registered User
 
Wings4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Shades of 1997

This team has a 1997 feel to it, a subpar regular season where the Wings dropped out of elite status, the Russian 5 was broken up, Vernon was benched, Fedorov was playing defence, and then suddenly...it all turned around just in time for the playoffs.

Overcoming adversity is a big part of building a team for a championship run, and I think our team right now is "primed" for good things, if not great.

Here is to one heck of a first round.

Wings4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:19 PM
  #2
Shoalzie
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 14,053
vCash: 500
The thing about that '97 team and all the teams before it...they didn't know how to finish the deal and were pretty much thought of as the Buffalo Bills or the Atlanta Braves of hockey. To compare them to a current team, they were like the Sharks...lots of promise and talent but couldn't finish.

Several of the guys on this team were on the '07-08 that won the most recent champion and some were on the previous title teams. There's too much of a winning pedigree with this group to say they're like the good but not great teams of the mid-90s.

I just look at this year as being a unique situation given the lack of offense, the emergence of a rookie goalie and the numerous injuries. Through it all, we're still looking at a team capable of winning another title. If we as fans learn any lessons from this year...it's to follow the old saying "it's not about how you start, it's how you finish" and to just not doubt the likes of Lidstrom, Datsyuk, aZetterberg and Babcock when things are down.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:48 PM
  #3
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
I was thinking about the Great Brawl of 97 after that Pens game, and I know it's not even close to the same scale, but I was thinking if that might be the spark that, as Lou Brown would say, brings the whoooole thing together.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:57 PM
  #4
Wings4Life
Registered User
 
Wings4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
The thing about that '97 team and all the teams before it...they didn't know how to finish the deal and were pretty much thought of as the Buffalo Bills or the Atlanta Braves of hockey. To compare them to a current team, they were like the Sharks...lots of promise and talent but couldn't finish.

Several of the guys on this team were on the '07-08 that won the most recent champion and some were on the previous title teams. There's too much of a winning pedigree with this group to say they're like the good but not great teams of the mid-90s.

I just look at this year as being a unique situation given the lack of offense, the emergence of a rookie goalie and the numerous injuries. Through it all, we're still looking at a team capable of winning another title. If we as fans learn any lessons from this year...it's to follow the old saying "it's not about how you start, it's how you finish" and to just not doubt the likes of Lidstrom, Datsyuk, aZetterberg and Babcock when things are down.
I respectfully disagree here. "Good but not great" for me describes the 1998 team, the 97 team had 2 of the top 5 D-men in the world in their prime (Konstantinov and Lidstrom), a Conn Smythe goalie (Vernon), prime Shanahan and Fedorov, still young Yzerman.

They took out the defending champs/president trophy winners in Colorado, and swept the Eastern conference champs with relative ease.

That is a great team, IMO the greatest Wings team of the past 20 years, though I know most will favour the 2002 group.

Wings4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:58 PM
  #5
Wings4Life
Registered User
 
Wings4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I was thinking about the Great Brawl of 97 after that Pens game, and I know it's not even close to the same scale, but I was thinking if that might be the spark that, as Lou Brown would say, brings the whoooole thing together.
Haha yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Wings4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:16 PM
  #6
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western Sahara
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings4Life View Post
I respectfully disagree here. "Good but not great" for me describes the 1998 team, the 97 team had 2 of the top 5 D-men in the world in their prime (Konstantinov and Lidstrom), a Conn Smythe goalie (Vernon), prime Shanahan and Fedorov, still young Yzerman.

They took out the defending champs/president trophy winners in Colorado, and swept the Eastern conference champs with relative ease.

That is a great team, IMO the greatest Wings team of the past 20 years, though I know most will favour the 2002 group.
The 2002 team had big names and it was an all star team, but all those stars passed their primes. In addition Yzerman played on one leg.
When I compared us to the Avs, they (the Avs) looked like the better team with Forsberg red hot and probably the best player of the playoffs that year.
I think we beat the Avs thanks to Bowman and Hasek. Hasek stole game 6. Bowman stole game 1. I never said this, but I strongly believe when those lights in the beginning of game 1 did not want to stop, it was a part of Bowman's plan to get the Avs off of their game. It worked.
Anyhow, the only "big" player in his prime was maybe Datsyuk.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:29 PM
  #7
chances14
Registered User
 
chances14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 6,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
The 2002 team had big names and it was an all star team, but all those stars passed their primes. In addition Yzerman played on one leg.
When I compared us to the Avs, they (the Avs) looked like the better team with Forsberg red hot and probably the best player of the playoffs that year.
I think we beat the Avs thanks to Bowman and Hasek. Hasek stole game 6. Bowman stole game 1. I never said this, but I strongly believe when those lights in the beginning of game 1 did not want to stop, it was a part of Bowman's plan to get the Avs off of their game. It worked.
Anyhow, the only "big" player in his prime was maybe Datsyuk.
datsyuk was a rookie that year. he was still a couple seasons from being in his prime. i will never forget his first few games and all the moves he would pull of behind the net and stuff before teams caught onto him

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:10 PM
  #8
Shoalzie
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portland, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 14,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings4Life View Post
I respectfully disagree here. "Good but not great" for me describes the 1998 team, the 97 team had 2 of the top 5 D-men in the world in their prime (Konstantinov and Lidstrom), a Conn Smythe goalie (Vernon), prime Shanahan and Fedorov, still young Yzerman.

They took out the defending champs/president trophy winners in Colorado, and swept the Eastern conference champs with relative ease.

That is a great team, IMO the greatest Wings team of the past 20 years, though I know most will favour the 2002 group.


That comment was referencing the teams that failed in the playoffs prior to the '97 season...not the title teams themselves. Those teams didn't having the experience of winning like this team has from the recent championships. They went to Cup Finals in '95 but were ran out of the rink by the Devils. The Wings were best of the postseason underachievers of their time until they broke through in '97 over Colorado and Philadelphia...hence, the reference to the Bills and Braves.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:40 PM
  #9
DetBigWangs
Registered User
 
DetBigWangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
The 2002 team had big names and it was an all star team, but all those stars passed their primes. In addition Yzerman played on one leg.
When I compared us to the Avs, they (the Avs) looked like the better team with Forsberg red hot and probably the best player of the playoffs that year.
I think we beat the Avs thanks to Bowman and Hasek. Hasek stole game 6. Bowman stole game 1. I never said this, but I strongly believe when those lights in the beginning of game 1 did not want to stop, it was a part of Bowman's plan to get the Avs off of their game. It worked.
Anyhow, the only "big" player in his prime was maybe Datsyuk.
Datsyuk was pre-prime on that team. A runny-nosed kiddy.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 07:36 PM
  #10
TheMoreYouKnow
Registered User
 
TheMoreYouKnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eire
Posts: 8,414
vCash: 500
Lidstrom was around his prime in 2002 and he won the Conn Smythe for a reason.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:23 PM
  #11
19 for president
Registered User
 
19 for president's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 562
I agree with those who said this team is more similar to the 98 team than the 97 team.

97 Team = 08 Team: good mix of youth and vet leadership. Great vet goalie that everyone questions (Vernon & Ozzie). Solid top 4 dman pickup that didn't really gel with his previous team but had been good before (Murphy & Stuart). Two long time Wings prooving playoff greatness when they had previously been labeled as chokers (Yzerman+Feds and Dats+Z). Top notch defensively and offensively. Deceptively physical. Captains looking to secure legacy. Bunch of stars entering prime with a couple on the later end (Lids+Feds+Stevie, Z+Dats+Lids). Wings find the PF they'd been looking for that pushes them over the edge (Shanny and Franzen).

02 Team = 09 Team: both teams had an abundance of skill. Often lacked the work ethic needed to be a champion in the regular season, but won games anyways. Known for just turning it on in the playoffs. The Cup favorites from the drop of the puck in Game 1 of the regular season. Of course the 09 lost the cup, but I think most would agree that the 02 Team lucked out in regards to injuries and faced a weaker SCF foe. Strangely enough I think losing in 09 might have been the best thing for this team because all the teams following the 02 team continued to play with that sense of entitlement and it found them getting knocked out of the playoffs early on until the 06-07 team.

98 Team= 10 Team: both teams have had to overcome major adversity. The 98 team lost one of the best dmen in the world, was without its top forward for most of the reg season, and lost its SC winning goalie. The 10 team lost half of its roster to injuries including Franzen for most of the season. It also had to count a young goalie to step up and take over the starting role and lost a lot of its forward depth in the offseason. No one is predicting them to make it back to the finals and both teams relied on young talent to step up and make a difference.

19 for president is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.