HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL proposal rejected again!! Bettman news conference at 6:30et

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2005, 04:38 PM
TrueBlue

vCash: 500
NHL proposal rejected again!! Bettman news conference at 6:30et

Not only did the NHL make a new proposal to the NHL Players' Association today, it has already been rejected.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has called a news conference at 6:30pm et/3:30pm pt to discuss the league's progress.

Old
02-09-2005, 05:06 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Not only did the NHL make a new proposal to the NHL Players' Association today, it has already been rejected.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has called a news conference at 6:30pm et/3:30pm pt to discuss the league's progress.
Sounds like they couldn't agree on how to decide whether the players offer was working or not.It would have transformed the NHLPA's offer into the NHL's hard cap if it was deemed the NHLPA plan was not working.
Sounds like they need a common acceptable method of discerning the success or lack thereof of the NHLPA's proposal.
Surely they can come to an agreement on that issue with so much on the line.

Old
02-09-2005, 06:36 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
Sounds like they couldn't agree on how to decide whether the players offer was working or not.It would have transformed the NHLPA's offer into the NHL's hard cap if it was deemed the NHLPA plan was not working.
Sounds like they need a common acceptable method of discerning the success or lack thereof of the NHLPA's proposal.
Surely they can come to an agreement on that issue with so much on the line.
I should hope they can, these "triggers" that Bettman likes to call them were the probable reason the NHLPA rejected the proposal. What the NHL and the NHLPA need to figure out what is the most reasonable amount of time the NHLPA's system should be given to see if it is, or isn't working. They figure that out, we should have a deal before long. To be honest though, I can't believe the NHL has conceded as much as it has. Unless they are so positive that the PA's system won't work they are willing to go with it, knowing their system will be in.

Old
02-09-2005, 06:43 PM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedaeagle20
I should hope they can, these "triggers" that Bettman likes to call them were the probable reason the NHLPA rejected the proposal. What the NHL and the NHLPA need to figure out what is the most reasonable amount of time the NHLPA's system should be given to see if it is, or isn't working. They figure that out, we should have a deal before long. To be honest though, I can't believe the NHL has conceded as much as it has. Unless they are so positive that the PA's system won't work they are willing to go with it, knowing their system will be in.

I think you nailed it right there. They KNOW it won't work and they will soon have their system in there.

Old
02-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedaeagle20
This was nothing more then blowing smoke up Fans a$$es ...

They say we go with your systems unless any of these 4 triggers cut in .. all of which either exist today or could be triggered by on UFA signing here and there to switch to the owners system ..

Player cost where 75% last year .. They say if they are above 55% now we switch..

If you have 3 teams over 42 million salary .. The NHL had 13 last season and even if you apply the 24% rollback which they would you have 4 or 5 right now over ..we switch

They do not talk for 4 days and its crunch time and the only solution is something that TSN MAGGIE the Monkey could have dreamed in 5 minutes ..

The players system wouldn't even be in effect for the 1 week training period before the owners would switch to theirs ..

What a joke is right ..

Old
02-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Four so-called triggers would decide when the model would switch:

- If the league pays out more than 55 per cent of its revenues in salaries.

- If any three teams have a of payroll more than $42 million US

- If average payroll of the three highest-spending teams is more than 33 per cent higher than the average of the three lowest spending teams.

- If average team compensation exceeds $36.5 million US.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...87&hubName=nhl

Old
02-09-2005, 07:44 PM
richardn

This offer is nothing more then a PR move by the owners. The NHL is trying to make Bob look like he won't even accept his own offer. But in actual fact the proposal is the very same as Gary's hard cap based on the economics of the four triggers that would switch it over to the owners hard cap system. I do however like the creativity of the concept. If those four triggers could be removed with a time line instead, with a neutral arbitrator agreed upon by both sides to evaluate the NHLPA's system after the agreed upon time line. If the arbitrator found the NHLPA's system to be unsucessfull then the NHLPA would have to switch to the hard cap system.

Anyways it should be interesting to see what happens in the next 48 hours with a half ass atempt of a drop dead date being monday. My guess is that if the NHL does not break on the numbers of these triggers we will sadly be without a season.

Old
02-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

It's just hilarious how stupid people are.

Right now there's all kinds of people trumpeting on how this offer totally makes Goodenow ridiculous, and that Goodenow turned down his own offer, and that his refusal of the triggers "proves" the players Dec. 9th offer would never work. It's just insane.

Winston Churchill was right. The best argument against democracy is a 5-minute conversation with the average voter.

Old
02-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
It's just hilarious how stupid people are.

Right now there's all kinds of people trumpeting on how this offer totally makes Goodenow ridiculous, and that Goodenow turned down his own offer, and that his refusal of the triggers "proves" the players Dec. 9th offer would never work. It's just insane.

Winston Churchill was right. The best argument against democracy is a 5-minute conversation with the average voter.
I agree.

I've gotta stop visiting that Business of Hockey board. Just makes me mad. Too much stupidity going around- not enough time to correct it all.

Old
02-09-2005, 08:21 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I agree.

I've gotta stop visiting that Business of Hockey board. Just makes me mad. Too much stupidity going around- not enough time to correct it all.
I know I just came from the Business of Hockey board and I got pretty mad reading all the comments.

Old
02-09-2005, 09:21 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Brian Burke just said the NHLPA was right to turn down the offer.

That shows exactly how pathetic Bettman's offer was.

Old
02-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Goodenow should return the favour

Tell Bettman they will start with the NHL system and then create 4 tiggers that immediately convert over to the NHLPA proposal..

Something that would be an automatic trigger for there side
See if Bettman turns down is own proposal ..

That would be just too funny if that was the next move by the NHLPA ..

Old
02-10-2005, 07:01 AM
SENSible1*

Bettman's move did two things.

1) Demonstrated that the PA's offer was NOT designed to curb inflation and thus it can be termed a PR manouvre. However, it also served a much more important function.

2) Set out the PA's options.
A) Put real teeth into their Dec 9th proposal so that it could curb inflation and not set off (to be negotiated) trigger points.
B) Agree to the baseline principles, as established by the trigger points, negotiate the numbers involved and remove all other aspects of the owner's Feb 2nd deal that the PA dislike.

Old
02-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Bettman's move did two things.

1) Demonstrated that the PA's offer was NOT designed to curb inflation and thus it can be termed a PR manouvre.
Sorry, it did no such thing.

Closed Thread