HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds Sign Ryan Thang to 2 yr ELC

Old
03-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Preds Sign Ryan Thang to 2 yr ELC

Quote:
Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has signed forward Ryan Thang to a two-year, two-way contract worth $525,000 per season on the NHL level and $55,000 per season on the American Hockey League level.

Thang, 22, recently completed his four-year collegiate career at the University of Notre Dame, ranking second on the team in both points (23) – for the third time in four seasons – and goals (9), while serving as captain in his senior season. After the conclusion of Notre Dame's season, Thang signed an AHL contract with the Milwaukee Admirals for the remainder of the '09-10 campaign. He made his pro debut for the Ads on March 20 and picked up his first AHL point with an assist on the game-winning goal March 23 against Texas. Through his first three AHL game, Thang has one assist and a +2 rating in helping the Admirals to a 3-0-0 mark.
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=522602

A 3rd round pick in 2007, Thang is more of a gritty, two-way player than a scorer. Will be interested to see some comments about his adjustment to the AHL from Coach Lambert as the season progresses...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:43 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Impressive numbers although I'm not familiar with collegiate hockey, does ND have a good team/program?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:50 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

RT is awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Impressive numbers although I'm not familiar with collegiate hockey, does ND have a good team/program?
Notre Dame has a first-rate coach in Jeff Jackson and was on the rise, but after losing in the National Championship game in 2008, I think they've been underachieving since. Riddled with injuries this season, they didn't even qualify for tournament play which is why Thang has been with Milwaukee the past few weeks already...

Old
03-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Attended games and saw Thang once or twice each season in person, and then maybe an additional 8-10 times a year on TV depending on their opponent---not a whole bunch, but still a fairly good size sample. His career at ND reminds me of Legwand: you thought he could be a scorer when drafted and then over time he lost his scoring touch and became a primarily a defensive player. From what I remember from the Preds when he was drafted, I don't think this is the player they thought they would have at this point in his career. But this is the Preds and they love 3/4th line types, so they're probably not too disappointed .

I'd say he was pretty average when looking at him in the context of his performance against top talent, and didn't really seem to show as much improvement year to year as you would want to see or expect. He's a solid character guy and hard worker, so you can always use guys like that. Plus, being from ND, he's a Pete Weber guy so he's got that working for him.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:33 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
ND came out of no where it seems and is now one of the top 20 programs in D1. They are underachiving right now but I would rather have a Preds Prospect play at ND than in UNH which is Lemaire style hockey......but even slower. I think the next program du jour is St. Cloud.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:39 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
They're actually a pretty successful program historically. I don't think they've ever won a national title, though.

Thang had that great freshman season that got him drafted, but has taken some big steps backwards and probably won't be a major part of our plans going forward, but he could still carve out an NHL career for himself.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
They lost in the 2008 National championship game Thang scored a beautiful shortie vs Michigan in the frozen four. which does not seem to be on Youtube

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Seth Lake

Just for clarification purposes, because I know I questioned it...Thang's ELC will not start until next season. He will finish this season on an ATO with the Admirals...so this is a legitimate two-year deal...