HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Letang Offer

Old
03-25-2010, 06:08 PM
vcx*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridoli View Post
Heard on "The Fan" that Letang has turned down an offer that would make him 3.5 million a season. Just a rumor, but did anyone else hear anything about this?
That's the amount I was hoping he would take. Not sure why he'd turn that down, does he really think he's worth 4m/yr?

I'm torn with what Shero should do with him after the season. If he continues to give him trouble, I hope Columbus still wants a defenseman, I'd gladly welcome Filatov to Pittsburgh and accept 2 more years of Gonchar.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 07:01 PM
hockeydadx2*

I simply don't believe that he'd turn down $3.5million/yr. That would be very stupid on his part. Can someone please list the details of RFA defensemen who have gotten offer sheets? I know Kesler, Penner, and Vanek did, but I can't recall any defensemen off the top of my head.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 07:36 PM
AK

The Penguins need to re-sign him. He's too rare a player to let slip away.

If he wants over 3.5-3.75, though, that's too much. That's when a trade maybe becomes a good idea.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
I don't understand why some of you think $3.5 for him is too much. Staal got $4, and they aren't too far apart in terms of value.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Jag68Sid87

Let's not forget that it's still relatively early in negotiations. IF he refused $3.5 million now, that doesn't mean he wouldn't accept $3.5 million after July 1. Or maybe during draft weekend. Or the week between the draft and July 1. Or 10 days after the market has opened. Or just before the start of training camp.

The last thing this organization should be thinking of doing is making a hasty decision on their most indispensable defenseman. And I think the way he plays during the postseason will also play a major role in how this plays out. We may want to ante up right away after a strong showing. OR, the Letang camp may decide $3.5 million isn't too shabby after all.

Let's see how this plays out.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:28 PM
hockeydadx2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
I don't understand why some of you think $3.5 for him is too much. Staal got $4, and they aren't too far apart in terms of value.
You don't think so? Seriously?

Old
03-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
I think you're right.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:45 PM
WVP

I'm pretty much expecting somewhere between 3.5 and 4.0 and hoping for 3.0.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:50 PM
hockeydadx2*

On the other hand, if Madden did mention it, then it almost certainly isn't true.

Old
03-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Assuming the $3.5 million/year rejection is true, how many years did he reject? If we offered him a short-term deal, then it's no wonder he rejected it. I doubt he'd reject 10 years, $3.5 million/year.
What? Its the other way around.
If Letang works out the positioning kinks and starts hitting the net consistently, he will be much improved defensively and greatly increase his offensive output. In that case 3.5 for him would be a steal down the line, and inflation would only make it more so. I certainly don't see him giving up lots of UFA years before having seen more of his potential shine through.

But NOW, that's a different matter, and if he said no to 3.5 for three years (keeping him RFA) he'd deserve a kick in the teeth.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
You don't think so? Seriously?
Yes. I think he gets way too much flak around here. His offensive production may not be up to his talent level, but let's look at the big picture here; He is 22, and is (arguably) the #2 Dman on a Stanley cup champion team. At the very worst, the #3. He has all the tools you want from a defenseman, besides size, and is usually effective in all 3 zones.

If he didn't improve for the rest of his career, I would say $3-$3.5 is fair for him. Luckily, he is extremely young for a Dman and it is safe to assume he will get better and better.

With that said, I am worried that this rumor is true and he declined $3.5 mil. Perhaps it was long term, which would not be wise on his end.

Old
03-25-2010, 09:33 PM
CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

Quote:
I think Staal is a pretty big bargain with his contract. He would get at least 5 million in every other organization besides ours. In all, I think Letang will resign for 2-3 more years for about 2.5 million.

CraigAdamsnumber1fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
On the other hand, if Madden did mention it, then it almost certainly isn't true.
Kovalev to Pittsburgh is a done deal.

Pat Quinn will be taking over for Michel Therrien.

Jules Winnfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
The problem is that Letang doesn't really excel at one particular aspect of the game, he's still finding his identity as an NHL defenseman. He has loads of potential and skill, but he's only above average defensively and he's not even a staple on our first powerplay unit despite his offensive skills, not to mention he lacks consistency. It's hard to justify paying $3.5-$4 million for that when you're a contender that is already up against the cap as it is.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan6866 View Post
In all, I think Letang will resign for 2-3 more years for about 2.5 million.

If he turned down a 3.5M offer, he is not gonna accept 2.5. Considering his age, potential, and ability, anything below 3 is unacceptable to Letang's camp.

Anything above 3.75, trade his ass for Ryan Suter or Hamhuis

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant In The Room View Post

If he turned down a 3.5M offer, he is not gonna accept 2.5. Considering his age, potential, and ability, anything below 3 is unacceptable to Letang's camp.

Agreed, the talks of a 10-yr deal will never happen. Letang will want an overpayment to go that long to account for going through his prime and his upside and the Pens will not be offering him 4+ for that long. No reason on either side.

10-11 million over 3 years seems appropriate for both sides right now.

Pick87your71Poison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:56 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

This is fine with me -- if he wants more $, then we will give it to him and get longer term.

I would like to sign him on a 10 year deal, but that would probably take $4.5 or more per to get done.

What I think will happen, and what I think is fair, is a Ryan Whitney deal: 6 years and $4 million, or 4.25 over 7 or 8 years.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:04 PM
vcx*

Quote:
I think 3.5m/yr long term is about right...the fact that he supposedly rejected that sort of annoys me to a point where if he did in fact refuse that and wants more, move him.

He hasn't earned more than that a season. I'd love to see him signed at 3.5m/yr for 6-7yrs. More than that is too long, I would be even fine with a 4-5yr deal as well. As long as it's not more than 3.5m or I guess more than 4m.

Old
03-25-2010, 11:11 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
This is fine with me -- if he wants more $, then we will give it to him and get longer term.

I would like to sign him on a 10 year deal, but that would probably take $4.5 or more per to get done.

What I think will happen, and what I think is fair, is a Ryan Whitney deal: 6 years and $4 million, or 4.25 over 7 or 8 years.
I can't remember but I think Whitney put up 40+ pts when he received that deal. Letang hasn't put up close to that. I like Letang but if he wants 4m-4.25m/yr...that's too much. He's not the best offensive defenseman on the team, he's not even the best defenseman on the team but if he got that contract, he would have to play like the best defenseman on the team if Gonchar leaves as that would make him the highest paid defenseman on the team.

Do you think he is? He has the potential to be, but every year he goes through stretches of mediocrity and he hasn't even had 2-3months of being flat out great like Goligoski did before he got hurt this season. Yeah there is a age difference but I think I made my point.

Edit: A 59pt season got Whitney 4m/yr for 6yrs. Letang's best year is 33pts...4m is not something he has earned, he should be lucky 3.5m was offered. He did have a good playoffs last year which makes 3m something he should bet, 3.5m is more than fair.

Old
03-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
The problem is that Letang doesn't really excel at one particular aspect of the game, he's still finding his identity as an NHL defenseman. He has loads of potential and skill, but he's only above average defensively and he's not even a staple on our first powerplay unit despite his offensive skills, not to mention he lacks consistency. It's hard to justify paying $3.5-$4 million for that when you're a contender that is already up against the cap as it is.
He doesn't lack at any aspect, either. He does everything you want from a Dman.

Old
03-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
let's look at the big picture here; He is 22, and is (arguably) the #2 Dman on a Stanley cup champion team. At the very worst, the #3.
Inarguably he is not. If we were to win it this year, then you can argue that. On the team that actually won, he was 6th in ES ice time, 5th in PK time and 2nd in PP time.
His numbers were great - so were Eaton's btw. and he was more important - but those flatter to deceive just as much as Letang's disappointing numbers this season don't tell the full story.

It remains that he is an RFA without arbitration rights and that we will have a hell of a hard time with the cap this off-season. Unless he takes something really reasonable, Shero should simply Dubinsky him or take him to arbitration himself.

Vlasic's numbers in the season leading up to his 4 year, 3.1 million per deal:
82 games, 6 goals, 30 assists, 36 points, +15

Edler's numbers in the season leading up to his 4 year, 3.25 million per deal:
80 games, 10 goals, 27 assists, 37 points, +11

Letang presently:
65 games, 3 goals, 24 assists, 27 points, +2

Vlasic is much better than Letang defensively and not as good offensively (playing shutdown unit on San Jose) whereas Edler's is just better than Letang alround.
In any case Kris has no business getting more than either of them, and they're really nice examples for Shero to point to if he wants to take him to arbitration.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Inarguably he is not. If we were to win it this year, then you can argue that. On the team that actually won, he was 6th in ES ice time, 5th in PK time and 2nd in PP time.
His numbers were great - so were Eaton's btw. and he was more important - but those flatter to deceive just as much as Letang's disappointing numbers this season don't tell the full story.

It remains that he is an RFA without arbitration rights and that we will have a hell of a hard time with the cap this off-season. Unless he takes something really reasonable, Shero should simply Dubinsky him or take him to arbitration himself.

Letang presently:

Vlasic is much better than Letang defensively and not as good offensively (playing shutdown unit on San Jose) whereas Edler's is just better than Letang alround.
In any case Kris has no business getting more than either of them, and they're really nice examples for Shero to point to if he wants to take him to arbitration.
I hope you're right.

Old
03-26-2010, 12:35 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant In The Room View Post

Depends though, who has the leverage here? Can Letang assume another team will fork over the $ he apparently wants via offer-sheet? Which teams would be willing to cough up a 1st and a 3rd knowing that anything less would likely just be matched? I like Letang and hope he stays but, frankly, a two year deal with a lower cap hit may be in the best interests of both sides. Actually, if Shero plays hardball and Letang's camp can't find any takers, that may be the only option for him.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:42 AM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

Letang presently:

Great post.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
He doesn't lack at any aspect, either. He does everything you want from a Dman.
Solid all around defenseman get around $2-$3 million dollars, which is what Letang deserves. Until he can contribute on the powerplay or become a rock defensively he should not be getting anywhere near $4 million per.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote