HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Post-game loss interviews are always the same with Richards

Old
03-26-2010, 12:47 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

vCash: 500
Post-game loss interviews are always the same with Richards

Every time we have gone through parts of the season where we can barely win or score, or just flat out not win any games, I find myself having no interest in hearing what our captain has to say because it's always the same thing. I know that there are only so many things you can possibly say, but the only things I ever hear are:

"It has to change"
"It's completely unacceptable"
"Just get pucks in front of the net"
"We have to play harder" etc...

The only person who ever really seems pissed off after a loss is Pronger, and he seems to talk about the loss a bit more genuinely and calls out what was wrong. I'm not saying Richards should be crying after every game, but the man just looks like he just woke up all the time and he's completely unaffected by a loss. I love Richards a ton but I just wish the man had more fire for the team, because I rarely ever see it from him.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:48 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
He is a horrible interview. Pronger should be captain.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:51 AM
nosnhoj

He's had more than a few run ins with the press. Coincidentally or not, Pronger had the same issue in his early years. I'm not saying that Richards will end up being as good of a leader as Pronger has been in his past, but just because he isn't a great interview doesn't mean he doesn't care.

nosnhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:55 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
oh fun another Richards isnt a good leader thread.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:57 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

I believe he is, I just wished he showed it more.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:03 AM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
He is a horrible interview. Pronger should be captain.
I've though this time and time again. It wouldn't be such a bad move if done during the off season. This team needs a fiery leader who can give proper motivation. I'm sorry but Richards isn't good enough to lead by example unless you're counting hits and shorthanded goals (which there has been none of this year). Pronger is the perfect captain for a team under Laviolette, he's straight and to the point and doesn't give a damn.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:09 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Just because Richards either isn't a good interview or is overly cautious with the media isn't a reason for him not to be captain.
The onus is on the interviewer. The reporter needs to ask him to eloborate, or just call him on it...
Richards: We have to play harder.
Reporter: OK
UNACCEPTABLE!
Reporter: How does a team of pros just suddenly play harder?
OR
Reporter: It's late March and you might miss the playoffs. Shouldn't you have nothing left in the tank? Shouldn't you already be playing your hardest?
In fact, you are all professionals, shouldn't you play hard every game?

I'm not saying Richards isn't playing hard, this is just an example. That's just shoddy reporting to take the player's canned cliches (unless under threat of early press start, then the reporter gets a pass for that day only).

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:17 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Richards obviously isnt a good leader. At this point. I know why he was chosen. He is the guy for the future. However he never should have been made the leader as early as he was. I don't like him as Captain now. I'm not sure who should be, maybe Pronger but not Richards. Eventually Im sure Richards will turn into a great captain but I dont think he can handle it now. But right now I dont care anymore, go Phillies!

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:27 AM
fire bettman

I wouldn't be opposed to Prongs getting the C. I've always been on the pro-richards side of things. But this team needs a kick in the ass in the worst way. It's absolutely absurd and unacceptable for this team (who were predicted to win the cup this year) to struggle to even maintain a bottom 4 seed playoff spot. Not that anyone can blame it on Richards alone... our goalie situation is horrendous. But if they played with more urgency and put in more effort from start to finish, they would at least win once and a while.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:28 AM
Stockholm Syndrome

This is ridiculous. If what he said wasn't true, then I'd have some beef. But to be mad over him reiterating what is essentially true isn't something he deserves to be stripped of the C for.

Stockholm Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:14 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholm Syndrome View Post
This is ridiculous. If what he said wasn't true, then I'd have some beef. But to be mad over him reiterating what is essentially true isn't something he deserves to be stripped of the C for.
!
It's hilarious how everybody just sucks atm and when they win one they're all Gods in orange.

On this board a lot of idiotic stuff is written lately.
Posted via Mobile Device

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:19 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Can't he just say "We suck donkey balls right now"?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:51 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
What the hell is Mike supposed to say, other than: "we need to be better than that".

Should he say:
"There are fundamental issues with the salary and talent distribution on this team. We need one less expensive forward and one more good goalie. These issues cannot be fixed before the play offs. The way to fix them is to get rid of Daniel Briere's contract, as it provides the worst value on the team. Scott Hartnell is a distant second as well. Then we can use that money to sign a decent starter in free agency or trade for one."
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
But if they played with more urgency and put in more effort from start to finish, they would at least win once and a while.

What the hell are we watching? Must be different games lately. First of all they do win one once in a while. They're about .500 (not that that is the standard to accept). They killed so many penalties in that Ottowa game and came out flying in the first period..that doesn't look like an urgency problem to me. They just lost to a good team that night IMO. Tonight they come out and kill the Wild in the first period, hold the lead through the second, and then Bouch let in a softie from Havlat and **** the bed in OT. The skaters have not been the issue for a few games now.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 03-26-2010 at 04:58 AM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 07:22 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Pronger says the same things over and over again. And Laviolette? Dittos. He sounds like John Stevens. Last night: "We just need to do better."

Pure genius.

The Flyers have a bad mix of players. They don't ignite each other and I think they don't particularly like each other. Not much Richards or anyone else can do about that right now.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Pronger, and he seems to talk about the loss a bit more genuinely and calls out what was wrong.
He didn't call out boosh, so he didn't call out what went wrong.
Sure, the Flyers played poorly in the 3rd, but Boosh gave up 3 bad goals last night.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 07:46 AM
MsWoof

Pronger makes the media work for him. He was on the radio here yesterday and the announcers were falling all over themselves talking about what a great guy he is because he talked to them during his lunch time. I missed the first part of the interview but they were saying that he leaves a lot of thing between the lines and they were speculating about the young guys on the team and how they think he feels they aren't working hard enough. Pronger knows EXACTLY what he's doing and he never says anything that makes him look bad, only hints at what's wrong with the rest of the team without naming anyone. Then the media gets all speculative and you know how that goes, they blame the young guys while Pronger wears a halo.

I know Richards isn't a good interview. It doesn't make him a bad captain and he was fine as captain last year so what's the difference? Who on this team is really a good interview other than Carcillo who really says what he feels? Pronger comes along and seems to me like a bull in a china shop and I think he needs to learn to watch his step when there is already a captain on the team.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:09 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
This is my biggest problem with Richards. Its really, really frustrating to watch.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:13 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

It's funny how every person who's played with Richards at one level or another has said he's a great leader. Then you get a bunch of people on a message board who watch his boring interviews (somehow thinking that what he says to the press is everything he really thinks) and they come to the brilliant conclusion that he is a horrible captain. Can we move onto something that we haven't beaten to death?

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:16 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Pronger says the same things over and over again.
I agree with JXC. (Though the rest of what would be quoted I do not).

Pronger says the exact same things.

This is all just shifting the blame around. Instead why don't we pinpoint the real problems here?

This team cannot and will not win for Boucher either because on any given night Boucher will let in three soft goals or because on any given night this team won't be able to score a goal.

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:21 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
It's funny how every person who's played with Richards at one level or another has said he's a great leader. Then you get a bunch of people on a message board who watch his boring interviews (somehow thinking that what he says to the press is everything he really thinks) and they come to the brilliant conclusion that he is a horrible captain. Can we move onto something that we haven't beaten to death?
Exactly. And once again, what is the one big difference this year compared to all those other years when everyone was thrilled with Richards as the leader? Pronger, a guy who keeps deflecting all talk off himself and leaves reporters with all kinds of innuendo to get them speculating. That is not a good leader as far as I'm concerned.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:40 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
The fact of the matter is no one knows what is going on behind closed doors. We all gravitate towards our favorites and even in a historic context I'll praise Dave Poulin until the cows come home. Some people are more media-friendly than others. Captains come in different strips, some are vocal and some aren't. As I said the first time I heard someone compare Richards to Bobby Clarke "Stop it, now!" He isn't. He can't be. Clarke will never, ever be duplicated. You are dealing with perhaps the greatest heart, the person with the largest drive, to have ever played the game. Some of the issues are obvious but the NHL season is long and tedious. When you have Therien saying things like "Richards needs to get into the face of players..." that sounds all well and good but at the same time a player has to be true to himself and he can't be someone he isn't.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Bryz4shiz

Why would it be a good idea for the captain of a hockey team, which may or may not have chemistry problems, to call out players through the media? That kind of stuff should be done face to face. And besides Richards has been one of our only forwards outside the 4th line who has played with any sense of urgency.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Black Ice

I said in another thread (yesterday I think) that what a player says to the press and what they say to their team mates isn't the same thing. According to pretty much everyone that has played with him, Richards is a good leader and I'll take their opinion above someone on the internet.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:59 AM
facts

yes he is a terrible interview. But remeber last year at this time when we were in the gutter as well his "no worries" attitude was ripped so I think he is just trying to say the right things.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo

I'll just reiterate what some people already said: He's always been terrible at interviewing, doesn't make him a bad captain, and as much as I love Pronger, he needs to stop stepping on toes and realize that as much as he wants the C, we already have a captain. Besides, I would think stripping Richie of it would probably leave a really bad taste in his mouth.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote