HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruutu to have Surgery

Old
03-24-2010, 06:42 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 500
Mo has been pretty good with giving young guys playing time this season. I would expect him to get some decent minutes, JR has made it clear that he wants to use this season to bring guys up and see how they play.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 07:48 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
he won't miss next year, but he'll look and play like Frankie Kaberle did in 06-07/07-08.
Hopefully he pulls a Stillman. He didn't have any side effects to his shoulder surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy
Great to see Drayson Bowman get some time. With that said, I am fully prepared to see Bowman on the 4th line getting 7 minutes a game with no PP time. Then, one of Samsonov or Kostopoulos (obvious choices as they are prolific goal scorers, a great addition to the top 6) will get the opportunity to play bigger roles. Here in Carolina, we love our vets.
Branecky hinted that he'll play with Dwyer and Jokinen.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 07:52 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Hopefully he pulls a Stillman. He didn't have any side effects to his shoulder surgery.
What? Stillman completely sucked in 06-07 after his surgery.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
What? Stillman completely sucked in 06-07 after his surgery.
True..but Stillman was like Kaberle in that they had Surgery right before the season started (Stillman late August, Kaberle September). Hopefully by getting it done now, Ruutu has a better chance to be recovered sooner next year and not be as impacted (of course, it depends on how bad his shoulder is, how quickly he recovers, etc..)

The downside is that Ruutu is a much more physical player than either Stillman or Kaberle so a healthy shoulder may mean even more to him.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I wish Osala was brought up over Bowman... I think we really need a good look at him

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
2 big differences in my opinion.

1) Frankie Kaberle never had a physical edge to him and even after recovering, he played the same way.

2) Kaberle decided to wait until the right before the 06-07 season to have his surgery (September I believe). Ruutu is getting this taken care of before the end of this season so he has approximately 5 months of head start on recovery time.

I'm not suggesting that Ruutu will be 100% by the start of the season, but it is a different situation that Kaberle.
After having a huge year last year, David Krecji of the Bruins had shoulder surgery early in the offseason and still looks like a shell of the player he was last year. Ruutu probably has a 2 month jump on his surgery, but he will likely not be near 100% all of next year. I'm preparing for a season of asking why Ruutu looks like garbage and then reminding myself about his shoulder.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Mo has been pretty good with giving young guys playing time this season. I would expect him to get some decent minutes, JR has made it clear that he wants to use this season to bring guys up and see how they play.
You get pretty good at giving young players PT when you miss the playoffs as much as MO has in his career. Ba-zinga!

Old
03-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
After having a huge year last year, David Krecji of the Bruins had shoulder surgery early in the offseason and still looks like a shell of the player he was last year. Ruutu probably has a 2 month jump on his surgery, but he will likely not be near 100% all of next year. I'm preparing for a season of asking why Ruutu looks like garbage and then reminding myself about his shoulder.
I'm not saying that won't be the case. In fact, in my post I stated:

I'm not suggesting that Ruutu will be 100% by the start of the season, but it is a different situation that Kaberle.

I was only stating that he has an advantage over Stillman / Kaberle as he is getting the Surgery in March vs. Aug/Sept.

Old
03-25-2010, 09:44 AM
semin4captain

I have good news. It isn't Ruutu who is out for the season, but rather his evil clone Ruuto.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/...he-season.html

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
I'm not saying that won't be the case. In fact, in my post I stated:

I was only stating that he has an advantage over Stillman / Kaberle as he is getting the Surgery in March vs. Aug/Sept.
I agree with you that he does have that advantage over those two. I just wanted to give an example of someone who had the surgery in June and is still appears to be playing with the effects now. Everyone's body is different, so who knows when exactly he will be 100%.

Old
03-25-2010, 10:40 AM
AD Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
I have good news. It isn't Ruutu who is out for the season, but rather his evil clone Ruuto.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/...he-season.html
Reports indicate that rehab time will be spent inside Jabu-Jabu's belly, as physical trainers will pick Ruto up, place him on switches, and eventually save him from an octopus through use of bombs and a boomerang.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 12:04 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Latest report:

Quote:
Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that forward Tuomo Ruutu underwent successful shoulder surgery this morning. The procedure was performed by Dr. Marty Isbell at Rex Surgery Center in Cary, and Ruutu will be out of action for four to five months.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 12:12 PM
caniac247

4-5 months. He should be back in time for training camp if rehab goes well. That's good. We'll just have to see how he does the 1st half and if there are any side effects.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
4-5 months. He should be back in time for training camp if rehab goes well. That's good. We'll just have to see how he does the 1st half and if there are any side effects.
It will be longer than the first half that he has side effects. 14 months is the basic timetable for these injuries to be fully rehabilitated. Much like when Justin Williams tore his knee, he was technically "ready" to resume playing hockey but anybody with half a brain could tell that he wasn't "ready".

If you want a current example, Max Talbot is a shell of the player he was for the Penguins in the playoffs this year after having offseason shoulder surgery.

Tearing up a shoulder is just as bad as tearing up a knee. Only shoulder injuries allow you to keep your "legs", where knee injuries do not.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:01 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Ruutu will be okay. He's already come back from a similar injury to the other shoulder, hasn't he?

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 50
Well, when looking at the big picture in terms of success for the team, I guess it's better Ruutu being out of the line-up than say, Erik Cole. For the good of our 1st round pick in June, that is.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I wish I could share the same optimism, but the words "Ruutu", "Injury", and "Serious", in any order makes me queasy.

It just reminds me all too much of another situation with an oft injured player we signed after a totally healthy season in Scott Walker. He came here after a 33 game season, played 81 games and scored 50 points, got a $2.5 million per season contract for 3 years, and then missed about a full season of that contract with a variety of ailments and progressively became less imposing of a hockey player.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:16 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Scott Walker, Frank Kaberle and Cory Stillman are all also like 10 years older than Ruutu.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:30 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Jeff O'Neill also had a similar procedure done at a similar age IIRC, and he was a shell of himself after returning since so much of his game relied on his shot. To be honest I have no doubt that Ruutu's physicality will still be there when he returns. And that's his game. But don't look for anything out of him offensively.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:22 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Why am I the only person COMPLETELY unimpressed with Bowman

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 05:50 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Why am I the only person COMPLETELY unimpressed with Bowman
From the GDT:

eerodynamic:

Quote:
Someone should let Bowman know that you need to bring some intensity or get ready for another year plus in the A.
Quote:
I was watching specifically for him and was not impressed at all. He was exceptionally weak on the puck and had no desire to go anywhere near the corners. His effort and intensity level was not even close to NHL caliber. I dont mind a young feeling out a little during his early stints in the NHL but you'd better bring the effort.
DaleCooper:

Quote:
I almost forgot about Bowman despite being excited all day about the game simply because of him. He was absolutely invisible tonight.
CANES:

Quote:
I noticed Bowman out there all of twice.
Denzil:

Quote:
Bowman is like that here too, he doesn't honestly do a whole lot, and then bam he scores (not enough, but that'll come).

Samson however, you notice on EVERY shift.
I didn't see anyone in the GDT who was impressed at all with him. I think you are of the majority opinion on this and I tend to agree also. I haven't been impressed with him at all (I've seen him about 3 times now).