HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Dan Hamhuis

Old
03-25-2010, 04:16 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I look at the number of forwards and the prospects waiting to play and Boyd would be a roadblock for most of them.
While I don't see any way to make it work, sure be nice to slot Boyd in next year for Smitty on the Leggy line. I think we get the defensive responsibility and a lot more O capability for the $$$.

and we'll find a way to sign Horny unless he gets some ridiculous QO. We got depth at D in the org and while I'd hate to see Hammer go if you're betting on the system to replace one of them we got a much better shot at decent D than we do at finding a 30goal scorer. Sure, we're not gonna' get Hammer at the stage he's at, but overall we can put together decent 2nd and 3rd pairings.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:31 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
don't want to be a nazi about it but I think the term QO(qualifying offer) is being used wrong. The Preds would tender one of their RFAs a QO...other teams would give them an "offer sheet", i believe is the term.

If the Preds don't give the RFA a qualifying offer(QO) then they become an unrestricted free agent.

And RFAs can't get "offer sheets" until July 1 I believe the same time as free agency starts.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
I think Blum will be ready. I'm thinking financially. Dumont I think would be the best bet for a trade simply because of his reduced role and his youth compared to Sully and Arnott. In addition, Sully and Arnott are on one years where as Dumont is on a two year. My question is this; If you have an RFA who does not receive a QO from another team but you can't afford to keep them what happens to the rights?

My thought would be Poile trade Grebs for picks and we see: Weber-Suter, Klien-Franson, Sulzer-Blum. Josi is in Milwaukee with another prospect with COR in CHL and Ellis in the AHL.

Forward wise I want to know what happens to Boyd?
An RFA can only receive a qualifying offer (QO) from the team that owns his rights. Did you mean to say offer sheet?

From what I can tell, Grebeshkov is eligible for arbitration. And once one party files for arbitration, he can no longer receive offer sheets from other teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Would you take Dumont at $4 mil? I wouldn't either. I think it would be difficult to find a dancing partner on that one.

What's your question on Boyd?
If Dumont does indeed waive his clause, we would have no problem moving him IMO. He has exceptional offensive talent and would thrive next to elite offensive players.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:14 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
I think Blum will be ready. I'm thinking financially. Dumont I think would be the best bet for a trade simply because of his reduced role and his youth compared to Sully and Arnott. In addition, Sully and Arnott are on one years where as Dumont is on a two year. My question is this; If you have an RFA who does not receive a QO from another team but you can't afford to keep them what happens to the rights?

My thought would be Poile trade Grebs for picks and we see: Weber-Suter, Klien-Franson, Sulzer-Blum. Josi is in Milwaukee with another prospect with COR in CHL and Ellis in the AHL.

Forward wise I want to know what happens to Boyd?
I just don't see Poile and Trotz going with that young of a defense. It almost burned them this year because both Sulzer and Franson were playing to keep jobs as opposed to earning their slots. I can see either Hammer, Grebs or Bouillon re-signed with Sulzer and Blum fighting for the 6th slot. No way we go into the season with an inexperienced 3rd pairing. We almost got burned by it this year and no way we go through that again. We got lucky in picking up Bouillon like we did. Without him it could've been a very disastrous year on the blue line.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I just don't see Poile and Trotz going with that young of a defense. It almost burned them this year because both Sulzer and Franson were playing to keep jobs as opposed to earning their slots. I can see either Hammer, Grebs or Bouillon re-signed with Sulzer and Blum fighting for the 6th slot. No way we go into the season with an inexperienced 3rd pairing. We almost got burned by it this year and no way we go through that again. We got lucky in picking up Bouillon like we did. Without him it could've been a very disastrous year on the blue line.
Problem is HOW can Nashville afford to sign a vet d-man when the shear fact of the matter is a large portion of money is locked up in forwards? Someone has to go.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:39 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Grebs and Hammer are probably gone.

We most likely sign Bouillon in the $1mil neighborhood and QO Franson. That gives us four d-men with some experience plus Franson with a half year under his belt and Sulzer or Blum to round out the six. Josi gets to adjust in Milwaukee.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Predator119

If we end up not resigning Grebeshkov, it would be nice to somehow package him with Dumont as a kind of salary dump for a less expensive forward or just some nice picks.

I realize that Dumont has to waive the NMC for that to happen, but we can dream, right??

Predator119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 05:45 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator119 View Post
If we end up not resigning Grebeshkov, it would be nice to somehow package him with Dumont as a kind of salary dump for a less expensive forward or just some nice picks.

I realize that Dumont has to waive the NMC for that to happen, but we can dream, right??
There is such a desire to move one of our top scorers over the past several seasons in Dumont. I don't see him going anywhere.

Old
03-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Predator119

I think its a combination of his high salary, market value compared to the rest of our high salary forwards, and an attempt to keep Hornqvist

Old
03-25-2010, 06:11 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I think its a combination of his high salary, market value compared to the rest of our high salary forwards, and an attempt to keep Hornqvist
Dumont the second lowest paid of our NMC/NTC forwards and this might be his first sub-65 point season as a Pred (along with the rest of the team). He's been either our point leader or 2nd every season since he signed in Nashville. Moving a point producer as a precursor to sign a point producer is a bit counterproductive.

Old
03-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Predator119

Yah, I see your point. No good solutions unless the owners loosen the purse strings a little bit.

Old
03-25-2010, 06:25 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Yah, I see your point. No good solutions unless the owners loosen the purse strings a little bit.
The team is struggling to remain near break even at its current salary so I wouldn't expect to see the wallet opened too much.

Old
03-25-2010, 06:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

If anything I think Sullivan is the one to go. I can make it work by signing Hornqvist, Boyd and Franson and trading Sully for picks.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:41 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Problem is HOW can Nashville afford to sign a vet d-man when the shear fact of the matter is a large portion of money is locked up in forwards? Someone has to go.
Someone will go but at the same time, we have no idea what will happen financially at this point. If we make the playoffs, we make more money as a franchise. If we win a round or two once we're in, we make more money. If we make more money, we have the ability to re-sign Hammer. This is what Poile had said at the deadline. It's a domino effect and unfortunately, worrying or speculating about it at this point is moot. Once the playoffs hit and play out a little, I think we'll have a better idea of what to expect. Also, a decent playoff run may increase ticket sales for next year which also allows us the ability to re-sign guys. It's no guarantee one way or the other but I don't think we can just assume that guys are gone at this point. Too much has yet to be decided at this point.

Old
03-26-2010, 04:52 AM
goalscorer

[QUOTE=glenngineer;24715268]Have you been watching the guys since the Olympic break? His game has noticeably gotten better. Once someone labels a guy around here, others just follow on in and the label is never broken. Many people thought the same about Suter the last few years and while he wasn't elite at that time, he wasn't as bad as many were claiming him to be. He got the label so everyone just kept saying he wasn't very good or we should've picked Phaneuf. The crowd around here and the other main boards crack me up in this regard because a comment picks up steam and others run with it. I'm not saying Klein is god's great gift to the blue line but he sure is better than you're giving him credit for. I mean, we could give deVries a call and see what he's up to if you want to see everything you listed above about a defenseman come to fruition on the ice on a nightly basis. QUOTE]

Yes, I have been watching since the Olympics. I wouldn't say his play has been noticeably better. I remember at least two getting stripped from him around the net (one by Datsyuk) resulting in goals. And just about every game since the break, I've noticed multiple turnovers or poor reads that have resulted in quality scoring chances.

While I dont believe +/- stats are the best judge of a players abilities, looking at them between Klein and Franson since the break, Klein is a -1 with only an assist. Franson is a +3, with a GW goal and two assists. Granted Franson played three less games than Klein. I'm not saying Franson is a stud or blows Klein out of the water in defensive abilities, but for me I prefer Franson's game over Klein's. In reality is Klein that bad, no. But as I said in another post, his flaws are magnified by the players surrounding him.

I never heard the labels on Suter, I wasn't a member of this forum...but I will say I agree that alot of posters go with the labels and even more so on the hype placed on players.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:45 AM
glenngineer

[QUOTE=goalscorer;24737354]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Have you been watching the guys since the Olympic break? His game has noticeably gotten better. Once someone labels a guy around here, others just follow on in and the label is never broken. Many people thought the same about Suter the last few years and while he wasn't elite at that time, he wasn't as bad as many were claiming him to be. He got the label so everyone just kept saying he wasn't very good or we should've picked Phaneuf. The crowd around here and the other main boards crack me up in this regard because a comment picks up steam and others run with it. I'm not saying Klein is god's great gift to the blue line but he sure is better than you're giving him credit for. I mean, we could give deVries a call and see what he's up to if you want to see everything you listed above about a defenseman come to fruition on the ice on a nightly basis. QUOTE]

Yes, I have been watching since the Olympics. I wouldn't say his play has been noticeably better. I remember at least two getting stripped from him around the net (one by Datsyuk) resulting in goals. And just about every game since the break, I've noticed multiple turnovers or poor reads that have resulted in quality scoring chances.

While I dont believe +/- stats are the best judge of a players abilities, looking at them between Klein and Franson since the break, Klein is a -1 with only an assist. Franson is a +3, with a GW goal and two assists. Granted Franson played three less games than Klein. I'm not saying Franson is a stud or blows Klein out of the water in defensive abilities, but for me I prefer Franson's game over Klein's. In reality is Klein that bad, no. But as I said in another post, his flaws are magnified by the players surrounding him.

I never heard the labels on Suter, I wasn't a member of this forum...but I will say I agree that alot of posters go with the labels and even more so on the hype placed on players.
The play Datsyuk made on Klein was a great play by Datsyuk. The guy leads the league in takeaways by a large margin and there's a reason for it, he's that good. How often do we see Klein and all the rest of our defensemen make that same play and get away with it. If that happens once a year where one of our guys gets stripped, I'm ok with it. More a great play by Datsyuk than a really bad play by Klein.

Did you catch the game last night by any chance? I thought of you and your post on the first goal Phoenix scored. Franson got caught pinching and left Hamhuis and Rinne out to dry as a two on one happened. Don't take it the wrong way as I like Franson and think he's got a bright future, I just think he has a lot to learn still about playing to his strengths and masking his weaknesses with better reads. He'll get there. Klein will get there too.

As far as the labeling thing, it's amazing how a person or two can get the snowball thing going and it takes off. It's a shame you weren't around a few years ago with all the complaints about Suter. It was quite amusing. Not so much here but another forum. It happens unfortunately.

What I'd like to see is Klein to step his game. He needs work and definitely has his moments but then he has those other moments where I go, geez, this kid has great tools and does some really good things out there but hasn't been doing it consistently yet. At some point he'll either turn the corner or he'll fail miserably and lose his confidence. I think he's fighting thru that now and hopefully he turns out to be a steal for us for the next 3 years. It's funny, for all the in and out of the lineup Trotz pulled with him the last few years but then giving him big minutes this year and then Poile giving him a 3 year deal, I guess Klein is ok with being here and the staff feels he needs to be part of the team.

One other thing of note, he got limited PK time last night. I've been noticing a trend of Trotz using Hamhuis with Bouillon and Weber with Suter on the PK more and more. He's also using those two pairings when he's looking for a little more experience on the ice. Klein and Franson will both have their day, they just need experience more than anything.