HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings 1 v. Blues 3 (3/25/10) THOUGHTS AND TIDBITS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2010, 08:05 AM
  #76
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust
 
AKAY47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,301
vCash: 500
lolol whoever thinks we need to waive stoll is hilarious? Jarrett Stoll is actually a solid player, i wish he could score though, once we get Kovalchuk, Stoll can play on the 2nd unit PP, then we'll have 2 solid units. The problem with the Kings is that there's 2 third line centers, Handzus and Stoll and it would really suck to get rid of one, I think this is the reason TM played Stoll on the wing for a couple of games.

If we had to trade one of the 2, who would you guys choose? Handzus is a great leader, kills penalties, good face-off guy, he's a big body in front of the net but is getting old.

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:10 AM
  #77
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust
 
AKAY47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,301
vCash: 500
wow Calgary-Boston is playing tomorrow in the afternoon, what a game that'll be. Both teams desperate for points

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:49 AM
  #78
South Beach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loktionov View Post
So if Murray doesn't put Doughty or Kopitar on ice, who else is/are enough "skilled" player to replace them?

NO ONE. All other players excel at grinding. This team lacks a speedy goalscorer and a TOP 4 defensman who can QB a powerplay as Sahara lacks water.

Out of Kings defensman, who is a offensive threat outside of Doughty? Yea, that's a problem.
I like Doughty as much as anyone but it was Jones and Johnston that were on the ice when we scored our only goal which hapened to be on the PP despite the fact that they had about 3 minutes of PP time compared to Doughty's 8 and a half minutes of PP time.

Acknowledging that they are our top forward and defenceman, IMO too much emphasis is put on Doughty and Kopitar. They are a very big part of our team but they're not the whole team nor are they the only ones that produce offensively and defencively. I'm not, in any way, taking away from their importance to the team but they are tiring with the big minutes which is keeping them from being as effective as they could be. The team wins and the team loses.


Last edited by South Beach: 03-26-2010 at 10:39 AM.
South Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:15 AM
  #79
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust
 
AKAY47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Beach View Post
I like Doughty as much as anyone but it was Jones and Johnston that were on the ice when we scored our only goal which hapened to be on the PP despite the fact that they had about 3 minutes of PP time compared to Doughty's 8 and a half minutes of PP time.

Acknowledging that they are our top forward and defenceman, IMO too much emphasis is put on Doughty and Kopitar. They are a very big part of our team but they're not the whole team nor are they the only ones that produce offensively and defencively. I'm not, in any way, taking away from their importance to the team but they are tiring with the big minutes which is keeping them from be as effective as they could be. The team wins and the team loses.
Toews has Kane, Kopitar has ______

Ovechkin has Backstrom and Semin, Kopitar has ______

Crosby has Malkin, Kopitar has _____

Datsyuk has Zetterberg, Kopitar has ______

I think you guys get the point, we need an actual 2nd line center, it may be Brayden Schenn, but that won't be known until next season. We need a linemate for Kopitar and Wayne Simmonds isn't a 1st liner.

We better sign Kovalchuk

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:16 AM
  #80
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust
 
AKAY47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,301
vCash: 500
or Marleau

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:26 AM
  #81
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. suburb
Country: United States
Posts: 8,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post



PS: at least our d-man didn't score any goals on Quick!
didn't they get a couple of assists?

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:02 AM
  #82
lafan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Maybe they should

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Toews has Kane, Kopitar has ______

Ovechkin has Backstrom and Semin, Kopitar has ______

Crosby has Malkin, Kopitar has _____

Datsyuk has Zetterberg, Kopitar has ______

I think you guys get the point, we need an actual 2nd line center, it may be Brayden Schenn, but that won't be known until next season. We need a linemate for Kopitar and Wayne Simmonds isn't a 1st liner.

We better sign Kovalchuk
pick there call ups off the top of the stat list instead of the bottom.

lafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:00 AM
  #83
boki23
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Slovenia
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Ok i will comment this low effort of our beloved LA Kings in this game !
I WAS DISAPPOINTED,not angry because they did not deserve even 1 point in this game ,but because i set my alarm clock at 1 am to watch good effort from a victory hungry team and they came out flat! Disappointment was even bigger because they were great last game vs.avs the energy was there, even Kopi had some hits and after 24 hours totally different team step on that ice in St.Louis.
I am reading comments on this boards the last 3-4 years and i was laughing at Kurrilino alot but recently i get his frustration about TM.
Game at st.Louis was the perfect case off that.Richie-Kopi-Simmer line was good in Denver what did TM do ? tear it apart!! WHY ?
Yeah Fro was good lets avard him and let him play on top line !When did he click with Kopi? Ok if you mess with top line , let Brown play right wing then and you have solid line on papper but they just can't click on ice.
The fact is this is a different LA Kings team that they were before the olimpics,they are worse !Quick is slower,Johnson, god if he could just play for the crown with the same attitude like he plays for the flag,DD is great but looks tired ....Bottom line "Guys you're a team.You need too show up as a team from the moment you step on the ice and you fight for eachother and for the crown on your chests!
Apology for the spelling
I'll be up again on sunday at 5 am to watch a win against Stars.
GO KINGS GO

boki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:05 AM
  #84
NomadFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
I think it's a simple matter of style matchups. The Kings just don't seem to play well against teams that play a trap-style defense. I'm hesitant to say all-out trap, but the Kings would probably get shat on against that as well. No doubt the Kings have some really talented players, but when the other team doesn't give them space, they kind of fuddle around. It stifles their creativity and forces them to make "panic" plays.

Part of that is probably coaching. They're getting way too predictable, especially now that the Kings are using the dump and chase much more. Again, not very creative, and easily defended. It wouldn't be a problem, but they're getting beat to the puck and there really isn't any other approach to entering the offensive zone that the forwards or the defense try. They're being TOO systematic now, and the things that make them players aren't shining enough.

Also not enough puck movement in the offensive zone. Puck possession is one thing, but the forwards and the defense have a tendency to hold on for too long. I'd like to see more movement of the puck with decisive action, and not just "puck handle a bit and make the obvious play." They need to involve all 5 players, but when the Kings get the puck it's like only the 3 forwards are involved, and even they're only utilizing the area below the faceoff circles and behind the goal. Use the point shots dammit!

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:24 AM
  #85
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go
 
Kurrilino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,529
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadFan View Post
I think it's a simple matter of style matchups. The Kings just don't seem to play well against teams that play a trap-style defense. I'm hesitant to say all-out trap, but the Kings would probably get shat on against that as well. No doubt the Kings have some really talented players, but when the other team doesn't give them space, they kind of fuddle around. It stifles their creativity and forces them to make "panic" plays.

Part of that is probably coaching. They're getting way too predictable, especially now that the Kings are using the dump and chase much more. Again, not very creative, and easily defended. It wouldn't be a problem, but they're getting beat to the puck and there really isn't any other approach to entering the offensive zone that the forwards or the defense try. They're being TOO systematic now, and the things that make them players aren't shining enough.

Also not enough puck movement in the offensive zone. Puck possession is one thing, but the forwards and the defense have a tendency to hold on for too long. I'd like to see more movement of the puck with decisive action, and not just "puck handle a bit and make the obvious play." They need to involve all 5 players, but when the Kings get the puck it's like only the 3 forwards are involved, and even they're only utilizing the area below the faceoff circles and behind the goal. Use the point shots dammit!
That's an excellent post.........
This is what the Kings are.

But prepare for beeing flamed..... you wrote that is a coaching issue...
and for sure we have 5 goals out of 13 PP. Everything must be ok
and there is nor reason change anything.

Sure... we have no 2nd line.. the 3rd line is a pure stopper line and the
4th line is usually a mix of guys who doesn't make an AHL roster.
But who cares... we have good stats and are almost a playoff lock

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:00 PM
  #86
NomadFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
That's an excellent post.........
This is what the Kings are.

But prepare for beeing flamed..... you wrote that is a coaching issue...
and for sure we have 5 goals out of 13 PP. Everything must be ok
and there is nor reason change anything.

Sure... we have no 2nd line.. the 3rd line is a pure stopper line and the
4th line is usually a mix of guys who doesn't make an AHL roster.
But who cares... we have good stats and are almost a playoff lock
Haha just my own observations from a structural point of view.

No doubt, I think Murray has done an excellent job in developing individual players, and establishing a baseline system or style for the players to follow. Everyone has already seen this - players are really coming into their own because the coaches have established some kind of foundation upon which to build their own skill sets.

At the same time, at some point the players every now and then need to break ranks and go with some instinct and calculated risks. We saw this with Doughty's OT winner on Monday. Right now, it seems like the team is using the structure as a safety net. In some part, this could be because "it's gotten us this far" but it also could be because "coach said so." The problem is, the structure is so baseline that it's very predictable and that could contribute to the slow starts the Kings have shown since the end of the Olympics.

Again, I see it during the dump and chase tactics they want to employ. In and of itself, it isn't a bad thing, but they're telegraphing it way too much. Either the center or a defenseman will carry the puck into the neutral zone, but the wingers are standing at the blue line along the boards in a "I'm about to accelerate off the blocks" stance. The defense sees this and immediately ignores the wingers and gets into position to retrieve the puck. Not only is this telegraphing their entry, but it also means there is no speed through the neutral zone.

And this wouldn't be a problem if they mixed things up, but this is all they've been doing recently. Mix it up! Skate it in and hold at the point! Or fake the dump and chase and streak to the tops of the circles! Unfortunately, I think Murray's gotten them to buy TOO much into the system. The players have proven that they understand the merits of the basics, so it might be time to let them loose a little bit.

Unless this is all a rope-a-dope strategy, and if they make the playoffs the Kings suddenly unleash a completely different offensive game.


Last edited by NomadFan: 03-26-2010 at 01:52 PM.
NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:33 PM
  #87
CapsCaps
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
What's wrong with Greene? Why he is not playing?

CapsCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:52 PM
  #88
BigBrown
They did it again!
 
BigBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsCaps View Post
What's wrong with Greene? Why he is not playing?
He's day to day with an upper body injury. He got creamed on an icing by Darcy Tucker a few games back.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:52 PM
  #89
NomadFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsCaps View Post
What's wrong with Greene? Why he is not playing?
It's all about face time, baby.

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.