HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Blackhawks goalie condundrum thread

Old
03-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

vCash: 500
It's at the point where I just laugh at Huet and the team as a whole. The 4 goals given up by Huet, the Datsuyk breakaway with 10 seconds left in the 2nd period that results in a goal. OMG! What a comedy of errors.

We have one of the greatest minds in hockey helping run our team and he thought that our goalies are fine. All this team needed was a Roloson or maybe a Biron, Harding etc. We have a team that can roll other teams but really Huet? Huet does'nt even look comfortable playing goalie. How can you spend all your life playing hockey and not do the most basic things. I cringe on every shot that he takes on. We have squandered one of the best Hawk line-ups ever by not addressing this need. Every other WC team that is in playoff contention has a better goalie than we do.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:02 PM
crimsonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhSurre View Post
Just curious, why was Niemi declared back up this season over Crawford? Is there any official word from the organization on that? Was at a salary cap thing? just wondering...

It took Jimmy Howard a while to play consistent in the NHL but The Wings were patient and look what happened with him he's having an outstanding season. I don't know the exact numbers but he's really high up in save percentage. Maybe Crawford should've got a chance or should get once next year even if Huet's still around cause I don't see it with Niemi.
I can't go back and find it now, but Adam Kempenaar interviewed Stan Bowman before the season started (on CBH.com) and stated that Crawford and Niemi were even in terms of who would be the number 2 after the pre-season, but had to move Crawford down solely for salary cap reasons. So that gave it to Niemi.

crimsonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 11:30 PM
crimsonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biolink View Post
What are the chances we can draft Jack Campbell?
Most have him at 15-20. Assuming we are in the top 8 at years end. It doesn't look good. As BWC said, if a move can be done to slide up, then maybe, but not likely.

Old
03-13-2010, 09:56 AM
xicethug13x

i think i figured out a solution to our goalie problems....ive thought of someone who is very young(21)....very good good enough to be a top 15 goalie right now and potentialy the top goalie in the nhl definitly top 5....and he will be very cheap for the next 5 years or so....2mil tops.....and he should be available because the team who owns him has a very good young cheap #1 signed long term allready and they have him wasting away in teh ahl posting a 943save% with a 2.01ga....
jonathan bernier...from kings......hes a star in waiting and the kings have quick looked up.....they gotta move one or teh other soon...theres no way bernier is gonna be content staying in the ahl riding a bus making 65k per year for another year when hes proven that he should be at the nhl level without doubt....la is gonna have to move him....and weve got tons of pieces to aquire him....what do you guys think?...we can have a great goalie whos only 21 to back stop our young team to a potential dynasty for the next 15 years.....hes the only missimng piece

xicethug13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicethug13x View Post
i think i figured out a solution to our goalie problems....ive thought of someone who is very young(21)....very good good enough to be a top 15 goalie right now and potentialy the top goalie in the nhl definitly top 5....and he will be very cheap for the next 5 years or so....2mil tops.....and he should be available because the team who owns him has a very good young cheap #1 signed long term allready and they have him wasting away in teh ahl posting a 943save% with a 2.01ga....
jonathan bernier...from kings......hes a star in waiting and the kings have quick looked up.....they gotta move one or teh other soon...theres no way bernier is gonna be content staying in the ahl riding a bus making 65k per year for another year when hes proven that he should be at the nhl level without doubt....la is gonna have to move him....and weve got tons of pieces to aquire him....what do you guys think?...we can have a great goalie whos only 21 to back stop our young team to a potential dynasty for the next 15 years.....hes the only missimng piece
Bernier will be a beast. But dude this is really hard to read lol.

Also I would trade Sharp/Steeg straight up for him, and maybe throw in Niemi (if they really need us to or if he wants to much money to be a backup) or rather Crawford and send us back Martinez or Drewiskie

Last edited by Hawksfan12*: 03-13-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicethug13x View Post
They won't have to move him, in fact, they probably won't. They'll go to a 1a, 1b situation between him and Quick. Which is a real shame, because I agree with you and think we should snatch him up. He's exactly the kind of NHL-ready prospect we're looking for to fit under the cap next year, and I honestly believe that Stan's going to try to grab him this offseason.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 03:35 PM
xicethug13x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan12 View Post
Bernier will be a beast. But dude this is really hard to read lol.

Also I would trade Sharp/Steeg straight up for him, and maybe throw in Niemi (if they really need us to or if he wants to much money to be a backup) or rather Crawford and send us back Martinez or Drewiskie
yeah i was basically thinking something like this

bernier+drewiske
for
sharp+crawford+aliu+1st
i would even versteeg to that deal to get it done if need be

i know that is alote to give up but i think la has to be blown away to move bernier....and he would be hugely important to us hes good enough to make us a dynasty...hes young enough to be here as long as all of our other great young core...and he will be very cheap for atleast the next 5 years(next year 850K.then rfa should be 2mil tops)..and we would be shedding alote of salaryt that we need to move anyways....and we would be completing our d with a good young cheap drweiskie(hes 24 and makes 600k)

xicethug13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:33 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I would love it.

Crawford/Niemi + 1st + Sharp/Versteeg/Byfgulien + Aliu/Sweatt/Makarov

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I think Niemi is our #1 and will start in the POs. The Flu is the reason, that Huet won't have a chance and Niemi takes his

Old
03-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I think Niemi is our #1 and will start in the POs. The Flu is the reason, that Huet won't have a chance and Niemi takes his
I would say it is more likely Niemi's better play over Huet will be reason

But really looking at it now. I cant see how Q can not have Niemi as his #1.

The kid has earned the right to the job in my opinion

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Niemi hasn't put together a string of good starts this season.

He's been good when called upon, but he hasn't been good in consecutive games this season, even on that winning streak, he as great the first game, and meh the rest of the way.

I'm not being a homer, go check out his game log for consecutive games. Huet might be sucking since January, but he put together a few months worth of great play before that. Niemi hasn't shown he can do that yet when given consecutive starts.

Either Huet will have to wake up or Niemi will have to step up and keep his level of play over the course of more than 1 game for the Hawks to have a chance.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:33 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

yes, he is better now. That's for sure.

But I think Crawford got the Huet game. Imagine Huet against the Ducks and he wins this Game one night before the SO for Niemi against LA.

Now we only have the Niemi game and that was good. We'll see how he does against PHX (if he plays)

Old
03-20-2010, 09:58 AM
crimsonking

I think Q is still holding on to the 'play until you lose (or get pulled)' mentality. So it's likely Niemi's job until then.

Old
03-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

The decision should be made after this game. It's clear who should be the #1.

Old
03-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Muuri

Niemi sure has come a long way. Just 5 years ago he was playing Mestis(secondary league in Finland).
Lot of credit of his quick developed goes to his goalie coach in Finland, former NHL-goalie, Pasi Nurminen.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote