HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#74: Wild @ Flyers - March 25, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
03-26-2010, 08:58 AM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
This year, Leighton is far better than Emery. Emery is a joke (I don't know what Boucher is right now. What is worse than a joke?). Emery couldn't put anything together early in the season and if you look at the numbers Emery/Leighton, Leighton is better. But **** it, none of them are "good" let alone "great."
Early in the season he was getting consideration to be on Team Canada in the Olympics. He started playing bad when he was injured and that was all she wrote.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Early in the season he was getting consideration to be on Team Canada in the Olympics. He started playing bad when he was injured and that was all she wrote.
You think Yzerman is THAT stupid?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:17 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
I can not see any scenario where Backlund does not start the next 3 games in a row at least. I have not even seen the guy live, but am 100% confident we win if he was in net last night. Boosh is not only the worst starter in the league, I truly believe he is the worst goalie in the league. The players are acting weird in the press conferences because they can't come out and say we have ZERO chance to won any game with Boosh in net, he is that bad. I actually think the Wild had 3 scoring chances, yet scored 4 goals. And I was one of the few who tried to defend Boosh, but he is in fact AWFUL !

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:50 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
John Stevens? Was not the issue, but an issue.
The record indicates differently, Mush. I am kind of surprised, too, but they are not better for the coaching change.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Oh stop with the Stevens. If Stevens was the coach we would have been well out of the playoffs by now. There were so many bad habits and they're not resolved.

Everyone knew that Stevens wasn't the only issue. After trading everything possible and changing half the roster 8 times, it was well over time. The record would be better if Laviolette was the coach in September like he should have been.

The guy was a moron, and everyone around the league is aware of it. I know Penguins fans were upset when Stevens got fired, because they knew where most of the problems started.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:13 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
This is such ****ing ********. These guys played a borderline perfect game and their goalie **** the bed, not much more to it.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
To all of those who complained about our goaltending in the past... Biron, Emery, hell even Leighton, I hope you are recognizing now how debilitating truly bad goaltending like what Boucher has given us can be. You could win with guys like Biron and Emery. This team has NO chance to win with this guy in net.

As a former player, It's hard to describe how deflating bad goals at bad times are to teams. Its not a concious thing, and it carries from game to game. You have to have confidence in your goalie to play your own game at your best and not have that in the back of your mind. It's completely clear that right now no one on this team feels confident in front of Boucher and its hurting their ability to play relaxed and effectively.

Right now we are a pretty good team, not a great team, without our leading scorer and with a bad 3rd string goalie. The talk about heart and effort is pure BS to me. Stop beating around the bush, the team has an insurmountable hurdle behind them in goal. Never before have I clamored about goaltending, but this is where the line is drawn, it needs to be taken care of in the offseason before our window is closed
You are right, but I think everyone here is conceding that goaltending is one of the major issues with the Flyers at this moment. We're all just working on the next set of problems on the list.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:32 AM
richieformvp

I wanna give Backlund a chance, not because I think he will be the savior this year, but because I wanna see what he has ... if he plays well, he's in the mix for next year, if he s's the bed then it's time to promote one of the younger prospects, Morrison, Ericcson, Riopel or Gunnarsson up ahead of him. Either way, it just makes no sense to start Bouch any more, this year. He's proven he isn't gonna be a go to guy, if they make the playoffs and he certainly is not in the long term mix, going forward after this year ...

richieformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:18 AM
jb**

bakclund to start on saturday per keith jones was what someone heard earlier

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:25 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
This is such ****ing ********. These guys played a borderline perfect game and their goalie **** the bed, not much more to it.
There's really not, lol...and yet, some of these threads on here are a nightmare right now. People bickering like crazy about why the players aren't following their leader, blah, blah, blah. It's such a joke...where are comments like that even coming from??? The Flyers dominated last night, and Boucher **** the bed. There's really not much more to it than that, and I actually feel bad for all the Flyers that had to face the press last night...standing there bs'ing about all kinds of useless junk. Trying to be good teammates and come up with reasons that they lost other than Boucher sucking. I'm glad they did that, that's what they should do. It's still a big annoying and useless affair though.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:31 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieformvp View Post
I wanna give Backlund a chance, not because I think he will be the savior this year, but because I wanna see what he has ... if he plays well, he's in the mix for next year, if he s's the bed then it's time to promote one of the younger prospects, Morrison, Ericcson, Riopel or Gunnarsson up ahead of him. Either way, it just makes no sense to start Bouch any more, this year. He's proven he isn't gonna be a go to guy, if they make the playoffs and he certainly is not in the long term mix, going forward after this year ...
The Leaf's d-man?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:17 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
These guys played a borderline perfect game
Though I believe they upped their game over the efforts of the last few, "borderline perfect" is quite the exaggeration. First goal was a lucky bounce, 0-for-3 on the PP, lots of cycling in the Wild zone without generating excellent scoring chances, and taking their collective foot off the pedal with a 3-1 lead isn't even in the same area code as "perfect". Team was good for the first 2 periods, then dropped to mediocre, and Boucher wasn't even that. Loss mostly on Boucher? Absolutely. 100% on Boucher? Not at all.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Hopefully it was Laviolette yelling at Holmgren

Laviolette better not take the fall. Snider I'm sure would not tolerate that.
Snider never wanted Stevens fired in the first place. There is no way he will allow a 2nd coach being fired that soon unless Holmgren is packing his bags with him. Anyway here is a slightly better account of the exchange:

Quote:
Peter Laviolette and Paul Holmgren were standing down the hallway from the Flyers locker room. They had things to talk about.

Holmgren wanted answers for the unacceptable 4-3 overtime loss to the Minnesota Wild that had just taken place on the Wachovia Center ice.

It was bad enough that the Wild came into the game with the second worst road record in the league, but to really make the acid rise up the esophagus, the Flyers coughed up a two-goal lead before completely blowing the game in overtime.

The conversation between general manager and coach was far enough away that no restricted ear drums could pick up any of the words that were being said.

But with Laviolette gesticulating wildly, like an Italian patriarch after Thanksgiving Dinner, it was pretty clear that the coach was not happy.
Link

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:04 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Snider never wanted Stevens fired in the first place. There is no way he will allow a 2nd coach being fired that soon unless Holmgren is packing his bags with him. Anyway here is a slightly better account of the exchange:

Link
Hopefully Lavi asked Holmgren how the **** they're supposed to win a game when they don't have a goalie.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:04 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The unlikability factor is up there with 2002. The defining moment of that season was when Neil Little who waited forever and ever and sat on the bench through numerous call ups and watched every game never getting into one...Bill Barber gave him the call in Carolina late in the season and the Flyers came out and completely laid an egg. I think they had 1 shot in the first period
Didnt he get his first NHL start against Dallas that season? But it was the same type of effort I remember. Dallas won like 4-1 and the Flyers were badly outshot and played.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post

If you still believe that John Stevens was the issue here, you're just plain not paying attention.
Never said he was the only issue. But he was a part of the problem. If you cant admit that then you arent paying attention.
funny how you come around when things are going south.

Old
03-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Lomark

We suck so bad we have been thrown out of the league

Nevermind, as soon as I posted the link it got fixed. We still suck tho..

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Haute Couturier

A Holmgren quote:
Quote:
"Our play in our defensive zone was a lot better prior to the [Olympic] break than it is now," Holmgren said. "I think two things there - and we're no different than a lot of teams, I don't believe. We haven't had time to practice. If you're a coach and you don't practice defensive-zone coverage at least once a week, your team struggles. I don't know, but we haven't had a lot of practices, just because of our schedule. Rest is important, too. You want your guys ready to play a game. But more than anything, we've been loose in our own zone and given up way more chances than we were prior to the break."

Link

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:18 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

On to Pittsburgh, or as i call it "the paddling of the swollen ass, with paddles".

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:18 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
A Holmgren quote:

Link
so Holmgren isnt going to put any blame on the goaltending?
LOL.
imagine that.

Old
03-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
holmgren could have said that after ottawa. hes a ****ing jackass for saying it after this game.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
#1 - fhdc - it was for sure in carolina because rod brind'amour and sami kapanen scored in the game

#2 - the multitude of bad habits that plauged this team is a product of stevens. Stevens' influence still lingers and is why he's gone. You can either believe that or be in denial of it, but it's not really a matter of opinion. There's nothing to argue about for that.

#3 - there is nothing you can tell me that will convince me that snider didn't demand stevens to be fired. It is the only explainable reason why he was around so long to start with. The timing of his firing has that stench that it wasn't holmgren's call
Posted via Mobile Device

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:41 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

That shows how desperate they are with goaltending...on Saturday they will put in a guy who two weeks ago in the AHL against the defending Stanley Cup champions.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:07 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
If Lavi is gone before Holmgren I'm going to be pissed. We have a good coach, there are just certain players who can't play his system, ie - Danny Briere, Scott Hartnell.

As for Holmgren you're no ****ing prize of a GM. Give me a break pal, you've left this team in pieces. We have little to zero depth, and zero clutch picks. Not to mentions in cap hell. Way to go Paul Holmgren.

Having a summer with the new coach in place will help this team out.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:25 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Firing Lavy would be one of the stupidest things they can do right now...but I wouldn't put it past them that someone in management has considered it.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote