HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

610WIP: Backlund to Start Saturday

Old
03-26-2010, 02:09 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post

For now, I'll refrain from "The Johan", but I reserve the right to go with it again should I see the movie and like it. That seems unlikely, though.
You won't like it. It was god awful.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
facts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Wow, on one hand I want to hold out hope that Boosh will pull it together, and I can't imagine this will help that process.

On the other hand, this is exciting(albeit a bit scary) and I like the boldness of this decision.
I agree with the exciting part. The problem according to the coach is motivation, so what better way to generate effort. I hope that if we do start the kid , you go with him for the weekend win or lose to PIT. This is a team thing and boucher is not pulling his part of the rope, you get him 3 goals and he wasn't their last night when he was needed. I think if this kid makes an early save or two the team will really moving for him.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
In fairness to The Johan...in thinking back on that comment, I wouldn't want some dude's hand wiping my ass either. Let's rephrase and say that Johan wouldn't wipe his ass with Michael Leighton's stat sheet.
Ouch. What if he gets a paper cut, down there? That would be a typical Flyer injury at this point..... I'm sure McCrossin could find a way to infect it....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:28 PM
captainpaxil

id rather see him start sunday against jersey. if they lose saturday then boosh gets the start sunday and your probably looking at back to back losses. if boosh gets tore up saturday then you put backlund in in relief and its fresh momentum. if boosh wins saturday or at least plays decent he might bring some confidence to the team. if backlund wins theyres huge potential for a letdown when you make the switch.

given phillys history with goaltending the fact that we hired a coach who rotated goalies in the playoffs is going to get really interesting.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:31 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:35 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
id rather see him start sunday against jersey. if they lose saturday then boosh gets the start sunday and your probably looking at back to back losses. if boosh gets tore up saturday then you put backlund in in relief and its fresh momentum. if boosh wins saturday or at least plays decent he might bring some confidence to the team. if backlund wins theyres huge potential for a letdown when you make the switch.

given phillys history with goaltending the fact that we hired a coach who rotated goalies in the playoffs is going to get really interesting.
I dunno, I think Kovy would snipe the bejesus out of Johan.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
No, you don't. I guess I'm just frustrated by the fact that Backlund hasn't even roughed up his crease yet and it seems that he has more support than Leighton ever did.
It's probably just because of the fact that right now Leighton isn't playing, and any supplement goalie we bring in is probably >/= Boucher. I'm sure anyone of us would take Leightonin a heart beat. Gotta find the good in the bad.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
well i cant say im filled with hope and happiness, but lets see what happens

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
At this point, anything is better than Boucher. He has not shown he can be the guy. Backlund has just as good a shot at winning this game as Boucher does so who cares. I am not too confident in this season any longer. Ugh.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:12 PM
jb**

Pens= iron sheik. The camel cutch will be applied and backlund will not be able to escape. A total squash job as the coach throws in the towel.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:32 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Pens= iron sheik. The camel cutch will be applied and backlund will not be able to escape. A total squash job as the coach throws in the towel.
Or Backlund is the Hulkster and becomes a legend as he is the first man to break the feared "Camel Clutch" !!

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:39 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
/thread

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Scoopyten

They might as well start a garbage can. Even if they make the playoffs, this group of heartless twats is roadkill. Better to miss the playoffs, get a new GM and hope to God that he is capable of coming up with a plan and sticking to it.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Remember they liked him so much they never heard of Gustavsson. At some point, it's time to see why they thought that.

Hovercraft I think the correct comparison you're looking for is Johan Hedberg.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:12 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
They might as well start a garbage can. Even if they make the playoffs, this group of heartless twats is roadkill. Better to miss the playoffs, get a new GM and hope to God that he is capable of coming up with a plan and sticking to it.
They're 32-16 with goaltenders other than Boucher in net. They're in the top 3rd in the league in offense and they're 5th in the league in shots allowed per game. That's hardly heartless.

The bottom line is Boucher is killing their season . . . unless someone stops it. That would be the coach's job. Last time I checked he determines which goalie starts. His other option: A 28 year old who has put up fine numbers in the SEL and has been Sweden's goalie in the World Championships. Not exactly a garbage can.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=35835

Quote:
With the back-to-back games, it could provide an opportunity for Backlund to make his NHL debut. He was asked after practice today if he is ready, should he get the call.

"For me, it would be a great chance to play my first game and try to help the team," said Backlund, who is 21-17-2 with the Adirondack Phantoms this season. "We have to win games here to [stay] in the playoffs.

"I don't know their thoughts. I hope they trust me."
Quote:
Paul Holmgren said today that it is completely up to Peter Laviolette to decide who will start in the net this weekend. Still, Holmgren is obviously the guy who signed Backlund and was asked how he would react should Backlund go against the Penguins.

"I'd be anxious to see him play in the NHL. He's done everything we've asked in the American League and he's won games singlehandedly down there," said the general manager. "It's not like he hasn't played in elite leagues before. He's played in the Swedish Elite League for a number of years.

"I'd actually relish the opportunity to watch him."

Old
03-26-2010, 04:22 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

This is the guy Holmgren mentioned by name at the Town Hall last year.

Now we find out if there was any substance to it.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:24 PM
FlyerX

It is official, it will be Backlund per CSN.

Thank God!

Old
03-26-2010, 04:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Comcast just said that he is in net tomorrow.

Michael Barkann said he played for the "Glens Falls Phantoms"

Old
03-26-2010, 04:27 PM
FlyerX

They keep trotting out these myths . . . Boucher hasn't played a lot. Leighton only played a little over 100 minutes more. They gave up 21 shots last night, scored three goals and still lost. It's ridiculous.

Old
03-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
They're 32-16 with goaltenders other than Boucher in net. They're in the top 3rd in the league in offense and they're 5th in the league in shots allowed per game. That's hardly heartless.

The bottom line is Boucher is killing their season . . . unless someone stops it. That would be the coach's job. Last time I checked he determines which goalie starts. His other option: A 28 year old who has put up fine numbers in the SEL and has been Sweden's goalie in the World Championships. Not exactly a garbage can.
What's killing their season is their inability to play 60 minutes every night. Boucher has been bad, no question. But saying that Boucher is killing their season is ignoring a LOT of really, really big issues.

Old
03-26-2010, 04:39 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
What's killing their season is their inability to play 60 minutes every night. Boucher has been bad, no question. But saying that Boucher is killing their season is ignoring a LOT of really, really big issues.

32-16 . . . 33-16 after tomorrow.

It's the goalie's job to cover for turnovers, mistakes, sags in urgency. That job hasn't been getting done.

Did you know that the Flyers have averaged 28 shots against in games this year total but 24 shots against when Boucher is in net? It's not like he's getting hung out to dry left and right. Looking at the last 14 goals against over the last 4 games . . . half were soft, low percentage perimeter wrist shots, including last night's game winner.

Old
03-26-2010, 04:53 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/print...45&feedID=695&

Quote:
Desperate times in hockey sometimes call for desperate measures.

Against that backdrop, the reeling Flyers are looking for Johan Backlund to give them a much-need boost when he makes his NHL debut in goal Saturday in Pittsburgh, CSNPhilly.com has learned.

The 28-year-old Swede, who has played very well in 41 games with the Phantoms with a 21-17-2 record, will try to end the Flyers’ four-game losing streak.

“For me, it would be a great chance to play my first game and try to help the team,” Backlund said at Friday’s practice, even though he still had not been told of the start.

“We have to win games here to [stay] in the playoffs. I don't know their thoughts. I hope they trust me.”

Backlund had a 2.76 goals against average and .906 save percentage with the Phantoms.

“It's been a learning process, especially in the beginning,” Backlund said. “I think after a couple of months you get used to it, and I feel pretty comfortable in the American Hockey League. I know there's a big step to play here, but it felt good in practice so it feels like I'm ready.”

Coach Peter Laviolette wouldn’t confirm his starting goalie.

“I'm not going to comment on any of the lines or the lineup just yet,” Laviolette said.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:54 PM
TheLegendkiller

Well I'm going out tonight to get ridiculously drunk and I pretty much live in Pens country. But here's the good news; Philly teams win 100% of the time against Pittsburgh teams when I go out the night before and talk massive trash. That's what I'm planning to do tonight.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
32-16 . . . 33-16 after tomorrow.

It's the goalie's job to cover for turnovers, mistakes, sags in urgency. That job hasn't been getting done.

Did you know that the Flyers have averaged 28 shots against in games this year total but 24 shots against when Boucher is in net? It's not like he's getting hung out to dry left and right. Looking at the last 14 goals against over the last 4 games . . . half were soft, low percentage perimeter wrist shots, including last night's game winner.
Again, looking at the small picture. When Boucher was the starter in December, how many goals were the Flyers scoring?

Nov 28th- 0
Dec 3rd- 0
Dec 5th- 2
Dec 7th- 1
Dec 8th- 6(W vs the Isles)
Dec 10th- 0
Dec 14th- 3(W vs Boston)
Dec 15th- 1
Dec 17th- 2
Dec 19th- 1
Dec 21st- 1

That's 11 games. 17 goals in those games. Less than 2 goals per game.

Yep. It's all Brian Boucher's fault.

I'm bnot even defending Boucher. He has sucked. But so has the rest of the team.