HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What to expect at first pick up game?

Old
03-26-2010, 02:33 PM
gogio57

vCash: 500
What to expect at first pick up game?

Im 20 years old and just starting learning to play about hockey 2 months ago, I have attended a few hockey clinics at my local rink and been to a few puck plays. I still have alot to learn but want to go to open pick up game and want to know what to expect? Will a beginner be out of place or should i just practice on my own?

gogio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:43 PM
MNWild9

there will be all kinds. when ever i go out for open hockey theres atleast one jerk and one nice person to help you out. if you live where theres outdoor rinks that has to be the best you seem to make a lot of good friends there. but at open hockey it can be fun. just don't give up no matter what happens hockey is all about fun winning comes second.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Johan Santana

expect to fall...alot.
also expect you will learn alot by the end, you will be tired throughout the whole thing, expect people to help you. don't be afraid to try things, no one will shout at you (unless there are weekend gretzky's on the ice, in which case everyone will hate him 3 minutes into the game)

remember to don't feel down if you are doing bad because everyone's first time is just awful haha

Johan Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Devil Dancer

No matter what happens, skate hard. Even if you're terrible no one will really care if it at least looks like you are trying. If you float around out there people won't like you, won't help you, and won't pass to you.

Also, the skill of pickup games can vary a lot. It might be worth it to watch a game or two before you play to see if there are other players of your skill level.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:44 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

When in doubt on what to do without the puck, skate hard.
When in doubt on what to do with the puck, dump it.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:12 PM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
When in doubt on what to do without the puck, skate hard.
When in doubt on what to do with the puck, dump it.
I use similar phrases for the kids on my teams:

When in doubt, dump it out.
If you see their ass, don't make the pass.

7:11 of OT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Lososaurus

Don't pass up the middle for a breakout. Give 100% 110% of the time.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 05:11 PM
rinkrat22

expect the game to be faster than you thought. No matter what the level. you are just starting out. don't get caught off guard by the speed. even 1st time NHLers **** themselves the first game because the game is faster than they thought. its no big deal. your mind will catch up... eventually. try to have fun, be accepting of advice, hustle, hustle, hustle. remember, its a game, and its not even an important one at that.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 05:27 PM
doobie604

its just a pickup game, have fun and make some friends. great way to find more ice time and info about noob pickups if the skill level is too high at the one you're going to.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Pierre Gotye

When you're new to hockey don't expect to get many looks with the puck.

At drop-in you will find all kinds of players. The 50 year old who's been playing since he was 6, the 20-year old who's faster and more skilled than anyone, the beer league guy who gets tired fast, and people who can barely skate.

Just go out and have fun. Watch and learn from what other guys, especially the experienced ones do on the ice. You can learn a lot from their basic positioning, body movement and bags of tricks.

Hockey is a game that some people take a while to progress with, others can catch on with quickly. The main thing is to not give up, and find as much ice-time as you can.

I try to get out on the ice twice a week if possible. I'm in two leagues so I haven't done much drop-in/pickup lately.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
expect the game to be faster than you thought. No matter what the level. you are just starting out. don't get caught off guard by the speed. even 1st time NHLers **** themselves the first game because the game is faster than they thought. its no big deal. your mind will catch up... eventually. try to have fun, be accepting of advice, hustle, hustle, hustle. remember, its a game, and its not even an important one at that.
I love a fast game, so much fun to play with fast and high-level skilled players. I think it's how to best progress your game. You get better playing against talent better than you, not below you.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:22 PM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Bring both a light and a dark jersey with you. If there is another player of a similar skill level there, try to play on the other team, that way you will both have someone to check or win a battle against. Sometimes the skill level will vary widely between sessions even at the same rink. Have fun.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
its just a pickup game, have fun and make some friends. great way to find more ice time and info about noob pickups if the skill level is too high at the one you're going to.
This. I have only played pick up in 3 places and EVERYBODY is just there to have a good time. People might get a little serious in D-C leagues but just pick up, nobody cares. I miss pick up to be honest, I'd like to go to some just to have fun and relax without worrying about making a bad play or just letting the other team have a breakaway just for the fun of it, not caring about the outcome.

Nobody should ever be making fun of somebody new at a pick up game no matter what. Just skate hard and try your best and people will like you. Also, always listen to what other people have to tell you. Don't have kind of a snobby attitude and be like "Yeah... I know..." Always listen to them because you'll definitely learn something.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogio57 View Post
Im 20 years old and just starting learning to play about hockey 2 months ago, I have attended a few hockey clinics at my local rink and been to a few puck plays. I still have alot to learn but want to go to open pick up game and want to know what to expect? Will a beginner be out of place or should i just practice on my own?
The best way to learn is to scrimmage in places like pickup or pond hockey. By yourself is good if you are trying to learn shooting skills or different skating things but gameplay will make you learn faster because you have to do things and will no doubt fall down trying to do them. that is okay .... there is an old saying for the very good or the beginner. If you are not falling down, you are not playing hard enough.

What to expect ... you will be expected to stay onside and will quickly make people upset if you are always offside. Even in pickup people tend to stick the basic rules of play for things like that.

Wow there are so many basic beginner type rules.

lets see ....

Head man the puck which means don't make the guys ahead of you wait for the puck. Hockey is a team sport, pass it up to someone else who is in a better positon to make things happen ahead of you. being a beginner chances are people will pretty much for the most part be ahead of you or waiting for you to do something because you are new and it naturally takes longer to make a play.

The boards are your friends ... passes up the middle like stated here already are very bad unless you are 100% sure the pass will not be stolen just chip it up along the boards to a winger ahead of you or directly to him ahead of you. When you are more experienced you will see the ice better so for now don't try to do too much. many people try to force a pass that isn't there by passing through people or a crowd of people.

You have other things to work on like skating and manuevering to begin with. there may a great chance that you may never really have the puck at all. That is more than okay, at your level any ice is good ice and you will always learn something.

Keep your stick on the ice .... I am serious. this is one of the BIGGEST flaws I see with beginners. Keep it on the ice with one or both hands while skating, keep it on the ice with BOTH hands while hoping for a pass around the net, keep it on the ice when just skating around figuring out where and what you should be doing etc.

Pucks come out of nowhere sometimes and the time it takes to take your stick from the air at your waist to the ice you missed a pass or a chance to get a loose puck.

Also your stick blade on the ice gives others a target to hit you with a pass and more importantly FORCES YOU TO SKATE BENT OVER with knees bent AND NOT STANDING UP STRAIGHT. The same thing seems to go hand in hand with beginners, playing without their stick on the ice and standing up straight while skating doing more gliding than actually skating.

If you get to go public skating which is skating without a stick or anything with other people who do not play hockey skate bent over with your knees bent, hands ou in front of you a bit.

http://media.canada.com/afbf61d8-f50...b16/skater.jpg

There are another 100 things I could type for a beginner but these are the most important for now.

Have fun though .... it is just pickup and a time for fun. As stated you will play with old guys who are very experieinced (like me teehee) , young guys who have the legs I had 20 years ago and are very good players and also beginners like yourself.

Everyone has fun and trust me the guys who can bring it know you are new so don't be afraid or intimidated about playing against them. Chances are they are not playing as hard as they can anyway because it is just pickup.

Most guys are cool with stuff, I pass to whomever is open regardless of talent level because how else does one learn.

A couple of weeks ago at a shinny hockey here I passed back to a very young goalie in the net, maybe 8 years old or so and he didn't know what to do with it and gave up a goal because he threw the puck away in a panic. He asked me why I passed it back to him and I told him because he will have to learn how to handle the puck and this a is good place for that. later on I did it again and he handled it just fine and I gave him a nod.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 03-26-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 02:20 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Like others mentioned skate hard and don't shy away from the "puck battles". Focus on the simple things you are out there to enjoy the great game of hockey and not to impress some jackass who forget that everyone has to start!

Most importantly focus on your balance and let the more advanced guys do the shooting thing you can really learn a lot from watching them. Try to ask them for some advices, keep working hard on your game and you'll make a lot of new friends soon.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 03:21 AM
gogio57

Thank alot everyone, alot of good advice, I hope I can get into a pickup game this weekend and hopefully learn alot. Ill let you guys know how it goes!

gogio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 07:36 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Superb stickhandling practice video:

http://swedishstickhandling.com/?p=40

This little girl can bring it!

The drills are excellent, and I've started doing a few myself, with the weather getting warmer, I might head over to the local park to focus on them.

I'm not sure what type of ball/puck to use in the park though, which in NY are rough concrete.

Any suggestions?

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 07:57 AM
DevilsFan38

All good advice so far. As mentioned already, skate hard when you're on the ice, but also importantly, get off the ice when you get tired! Something guaranteed to piss people off is if you stay out there too long, just kind of floating between the blue lines because you're too tired to backcheck/rush up the ice. If you take shorter shifts than most because you're new to the game and get tired easily no one is going to mind, but people will mind if you're an ice hog.

Don't know if you know how changes work, in pickup you just rotate positions, so when it's your turn to get on just take the position of the person coming off. It helps if you call your position out when you're coming to the bench (though quite frequently that doesn't happen). Depending on the group sometimes you'll rotate through all five positions, occasionally they'll set up separate rotations for defenseman and forwards.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Pedagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
The best way to learn is to scrimmage in places like pickup or pond hockey. By yourself is good if you are trying to learn shooting skills or different skating things but gameplay will make you learn faster because you have to do things and will no doubt fall down trying to do them. that is okay .... there is an old saying for the very good or the beginner. If you are not falling down, you are not playing hard enough.

What to expect ... you will be expected to stay onside and will quickly make people upset if you are always offside. Even in pickup people tend to stick the basic rules of play for things like that.

Wow there are so many basic beginner type rules.

lets see ....

Head man the puck which means don't make the guys ahead of you wait for the puck. Hockey is a team sport, pass it up to someone else who is in a better positon to make things happen ahead of you. being a beginner chances are people will pretty much for the most part be ahead of you or waiting for you to do something because you are new and it naturally takes longer to make a play.

The boards are your friends ... passes up the middle like stated here already are very bad unless you are 100% sure the pass will not be stolen just chip it up along the boards to a winger ahead of you or directly to him ahead of you. When you are more experienced you will see the ice better so for now don't try to do too much. many people try to force a pass that isn't there by passing through people or a crowd of people.

You have other things to work on like skating and manuevering to begin with. there may a great chance that you may never really have the puck at all. That is more than okay, at your level any ice is good ice and you will always learn something.

Keep your stick on the ice .... I am serious. this is one of the BIGGEST flaws I see with beginners. Keep it on the ice with one or both hands while skating, keep it on the ice with BOTH hands while hoping for a pass around the net, keep it on the ice when just skating around figuring out where and what you should be doing etc.

Pucks come out of nowhere sometimes and the time it takes to take your stick from the air at your waist to the ice you missed a pass or a chance to get a loose puck.

Also your stick blade on the ice gives others a target to hit you with a pass and more importantly FORCES YOU TO SKATE BENT OVER with knees bent AND NOT STANDING UP STRAIGHT. The same thing seems to go hand in hand with beginners, playing without their stick on the ice and standing up straight while skating doing more gliding than actually skating.

If you get to go public skating which is skating without a stick or anything with other people who do not play hockey skate bent over with your knees bent, hands ou in front of you a bit.

http://media.canada.com/afbf61d8-f50...b16/skater.jpg

There are another 100 things I could type for a beginner but these are the most important for now.

Have fun though .... it is just pickup and a time for fun. As stated you will play with old guys who are very experieinced (like me teehee) , young guys who have the legs I had 20 years ago and are very good players and also beginners like yourself.

Everyone has fun and trust me the guys who can bring it know you are new so don't be afraid or intimidated about playing against them. Chances are they are not playing as hard as they can anyway because it is just pickup.

Most guys are cool with stuff, I pass to whomever is open regardless of talent level because how else does one learn.

A couple of weeks ago at a shinny hockey here I passed back to a very young goalie in the net, maybe 8 years old or so and he didn't know what to do with it and gave up a goal because he threw the puck away in a panic. He asked me why I passed it back to him and I told him because he will have to learn how to handle the puck and this a is good place for that. later on I did it again and he handled it just fine and I gave him a nod.
Great Post! Pick up is a time to test some things you have been working on and to gain some confidence. I found that once my confidence grew I became a far better player and I started to play better than my skill level. However, you will also probably get a few d'bags out that may get pissed if you miss a pass or something. The most important thing is to have fun

Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Superb stickhandling practice video:

http://swedishstickhandling.com/?p=40

This little girl can bring it!

The drills are excellent, and I've started doing a few myself, with the weather getting warmer, I might head over to the local park to focus on them.

I'm not sure what type of ball/puck to use in the park though, which in NY are rough concrete.

Any suggestions?
I use a carpet in my bedroom like this one because it has raised ridges throughout the thing. Combined with those non-marking pucks which shine and are slicker than a regular puck you have a good practice pad that almost resembles ice.

Mine is about 6 feet long or so. You have to use one with ridges throughout the pattern though or the puck edges catch and the puck flips on you. But seriously this works great and is easy on your blade bottom. Just make sure you use the non-marking pucks .... you know the ones that make that high pitch when they hit the post instead of a clunk sound like the regular vulcanized rubber pucks.

Old
03-27-2010, 11:53 PM
SabresFreak97

If you fall down laugh it off, or if someone hits you with their stick while fighting for the puck, just leave him/her alone. If they see it doesn't bug you, you might find that the players will are cool and will help you with anything you need. Just have fun and work hard.

SabresFreak97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:06 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Just go out there and have fun.

Expect some to take it too seriously... but don't be that guy.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:14 AM
ju87

dont expect anything

just get out there, hustle & have fun

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedagogue View Post
Great Post! Pick up is a time to test some things you have been working on and to gain some confidence. I found that once my confidence grew I became a far better player and I started to play better than my skill level. However, you will also probably get a few d'bags out that may get pissed if you miss a pass or something. The most important thing is to have fun
Yeah true some guys blame you for missing their bad pass too. Cracks me up every time.

Old
03-28-2010, 04:33 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
I love a fast game, so much fun to play with fast and high-level skilled players. I think it's how to best progress your game. You get better playing against talent better than you, not below you.
I can start to see what you mean. After playing with a scrimmage with the other D5-level beginners I'll play open hockey, and the difference is incredible.

Last night in open hockey there were some superstars, who were like me in their 40s, but they were fantastic. Every one of their passes was right on my stick tape no matter where I was on the ice or who was in between us, just a joy to play with. I even scored 3 goals in the scrimmage, and they kept feeding me the puck all night. One of the goals was a one-timer wrister off of a stupendous pass, and they came over to shake gloves, smiling. What an absolute joy to play with...

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote