HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

610WIP: Backlund to Start Saturday

Old
03-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Scoopyten

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
This worries me, if Laviolette isn't confirming that Backlund is starting, does that mean that Holmgren made the call?

If so, why have a coach?

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
They're 32-16 with goaltenders other than Boucher in net. They're in the top 3rd in the league in offense and they're 5th in the league in shots allowed per game. That's hardly heartless.

The bottom line is Boucher is killing their season . . . unless someone stops it. That would be the coach's job. Last time I checked he determines which goalie starts. His other option: A 28 year old who has put up fine numbers in the SEL and has been Sweden's goalie in the World Championships. Not exactly a garbage can.
Do you even bother to watch the games? Boucher has sucked lately, but you're a fool if you completely blame him for his losing record. The last time he got an opportunity to start the offense was in the middle of their worst slump of the season where they were averaging less than 2 goals per game during that stretch.

The Flyers were also playing mediocre hockey since the break and were headed towards yet another offensive slump. This stretch was all too predictable to anyone who has been paying attention since the break.

Briere: 3 goals, 7 points, -8 in 14 games
Hartnell: 2 goals, 7 points, -10 in 14 games
Giroux: 1 goal, 4 points, -10 in 14 games
JVR: 1 goal, 1 point, -5 in 14 games

Outside of Richards and Gagne our skilled forwards have done squat all month long.

I'm not trying to excuse Boucher, but it certainly is not all on him. If this team wasn't coasting since the break they'd be in a better position even with Boucher.

Boucher killed us last night, but if the team doesn't let up in the 3rd they would have likely won that game. They went from 29 shots in the first two periods to 6 shots in the 3rd. This team is a joke and Boucher is just a convenient scapegoat to cover up for this heartless bunch.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:04 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
This worries me, if Laviolette isn't confirming that Backlund is starting, does that mean that Holmgren made the call?

If so, why have a coach?
Anything could be possible regarding the animated conversation. But it isn't the first time Laviolette has been reluctant to disclose personnel matters in advance. GM-Coach relationships can get heated, that wouldn't be anything new in sports.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Do you even bother to watch the games? Boucher has sucked lately, but you're a fool if you completely blame him for his losing record. The last time he got an opportunity to start the offense was in the middle of their worst slump of the season where they were averaging less than 2 goals per game during that stretch.

The Flyers were also playing mediocre hockey since the break and were headed towards yet another offensive slump. This stretch was all too predictable to anyone who has been paying attention since the break.

Outside of Richards and Gagne our skilled forwards have done squat all month long.

I'm not trying to excuse Boucher, but it certainly is not all on him. If this team wasn't coasting since the break they'd be in a better position even with Boucher.

Boucher killed us last night, but if the team doesn't let up in the 3rd they would have likely won that game. They went from 29 shots in the first two periods to 6 shots in the 3rd. This team is a joke and Boucher is just a convenient scapegoat to cover up for this heartless bunch.
Hell, they blew a 2 goal lead against Anaheim at the start of the year and lost in the shootout. Guess that was Boucher's fault, too...I mean, he was on the bench.

This team has played inconsistent all season long. They negate their own talent with laziness and stupidity.

Boucher is one reason they are not a good team. He's one of about 20 reasons.

Old
03-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

If so, why have a coach?
It could also mean that Panotch is full of it. I remember Laviolette wouldn't confirm the goalie for the Chicago game. The media including the Flyers web site thought it would be Boucher in net, but Leighton started.

Old
03-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
It could also mean that Panotch is full of it. I remember Laviolette wouldn't confirm the goalie for the Chicago game. The media including the Flyers web site thought it would be Boucher in net, but Leighton started.
Could be true, but I have a really annoying gut feeling that Holmgren micromanages the Hell out of the hockey operations side of things.

Old
03-26-2010, 06:25 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post

In high school we sang the Spanish version in one of my Spanish classes like 3 times because it has some form of conjugation that I never really learned lol.

I'm trying to decide whether to do something fun tomorrow or watch this game. This doesn't make it easier, as it might be the only chance to see Backlund play.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:25 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
I'm hoping for Backlund as well! I'm going to the Pens-Flyers game tomorrow. I was planning on cheering every time the Pens scored until Backlund got put into the game, which I figure would be around the 5 minute mark of the first.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I want to give Carter "Weekend Warrior" Hutton a shot.
A shot is the last thing Carter needs.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:28 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

If someone would have said to me preseason that the team would take a huge nose dive when Micheal Leighton gets injured I would have not believed them. If someone tells me that the team will excel under Backlund I won't believe them now. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:47 PM
FlyerX

Quote:

I have been but from now on I won't and just come to these boards and let you tell me what to think.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Well, the good part is that if the Pens win 8-0, we can say it was because we were on our 4th string goalie, even though, it would be 8-0 against our 3rd string as well. They ought to go ahead and play all the phantoms anyway, to give the Pens a hollow victory. With the way the forwards are playing it couldn't be much worse.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
If someone would have said to me preseason that the team would take a huge nose dive when Micheal Leighton gets injured I would have not believed them. If someone tells me that the team will excel under Backlund I won't believe them now. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.
Here's the rest of the schedule:

Pittsburgh tomorrow
New Jersey Sunday
Isles Thursday
4/2 Habs
4/4 Detroit
4/6 Toronto
4/9 & 11 Rangers

Pittsburgh and Jersey are battling each other for the division crown. Neither is going to be resting guys against the Flyers.

The Isles is a game they should win, but You know the Isles would love to end the Flyers streak of dominating them.

Montreal and Detroit are still fighting to make the playoffs. Toronto has played very well of late, and have nothing to lose.

As for the Rangers, Avery gets geeked out of his skull for the Flyers and they buy right into his act.

Now the Flyers are in full on panic mode, have no confidence and are as fragile mentally as Britney Spears when she's off her Xanax. It could be a really, really ugly end to the season.

Old
03-26-2010, 08:37 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
He can't be worse than Booosh has been the past few games..can he?

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:39 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Here's the rest of the schedule:

Pittsburgh tomorrow
New Jersey Sunday
Isles Thursday
4/2 Habs
4/4 Detroit
4/6 Toronto
4/9 & 11 Rangers

Pittsburgh and Jersey are battling each other for the division crown. Neither is going to be resting guys against the Flyers.

The Isles is a game they should win, but You know the Isles would love to end the Flyers streak of dominating them.

Montreal and Detroit are still fighting to make the playoffs. Toronto has played very well of late, and have nothing to lose.

As for the Rangers, Avery gets geeked out of his skull for the Flyers and they buy right into his act.

Now the Flyers are in full on panic mode, have no confidence and are as fragile mentally as Britney Spears when she's off her Xanax. It could be a really, really ugly end to the season.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
People say it's not a good situation for Backlund.

If we lose, we expected to get killed.

If we win, everyone will be tickled pink.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Could be true, but I have a really annoying gut feeling that Holmgren micromanages the Hell out of the hockey operations side of things.
I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
I have been but from now on I won't and just come to these boards and let you tell me what to think.
Nice to see you can refute my statements with facts.

I just think it's stupid to blame it all on Boucher when their lack of offense is just as big of a problem. If you want to blame him for yesterday's game, that's understandable, but I think scapegoating him is just as ridiculous as the idiots who act like Biron is an AHL goalie because he had some bad games.

I'm not trying to absolve Boucher because hell I've been unhappy with our goaltending situation and was pissed when Holmgren failed to acquire a goalie at the deadline because I feared a situation like this, but Boucher is just one of many problems with this team. When most of your skilled forwards go MIA you're not going to win many games.

Old
03-26-2010, 08:58 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

i dont see the problem it isnt exactly like the guy is a rookie. hes played years for the swedish elite league and thats nothing to turn your nose up at. hes an adequate goalie.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:23 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

At least if Flyers lose, then Boucher can feel vindicated and that is not all his fault.

If Flyers win, then I don't give a ****! We WON!!!!!

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:53 PM
BernieParent

According to TSN, Malkin won't be playing tomorrow, and Gonchar is still questionable, so the Flyers and Backlund might keep the score to single digits.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
i dont see the problem it isnt exactly like the guy is a rookie. hes played years for the swedish elite league and thats nothing to turn your nose up at. hes an adequate goalie.
The problem is more the team than the goalie.

Yes, against Minnesota, Boucher's **** play was a huge factor, but this team is inconsistent, plays 30-40 minutes a night, and seems to have no recognition that no team will win if the half-ass things as much as they do.

Everyone hopes Backlund plays great, but if he does, it's only masking serious issues that need addressing

Old
03-26-2010, 10:09 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

yes but when you read previous posts people are concerned with him being a rookie. it really isnt the case

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

Ohhh the Pens so scared.....they can't buy a win either, should be physical early, give Backs a shot, Boosh is so bad, no more sticking up for him, he sucks, horrible, he will not be in this league next year.

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
yes but when you read previous posts people are concerned with him being a rookie. it really isnt the case
I think that it's a really bad spot to give him his first NHL start, but it is what it is. They're desperate to make the playoffs, and Boucher isn't going to be capable of doing that. Backlund is the next guy on the chart

Old
03-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
Ohhh the Pens so scared.....they can't buy a win either, should be physical early, give Backs a shot, Boosh is so bad, no more sticking up for him, he sucks, horrible, he will not be in this league next year.
It's almost embarrassing