HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Henrik ripped the Rangers during 3rd period TO

Old
03-26-2010, 02:11 PM
BobSantos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You wouldn't be upset cause you under value him big time, now THAT I understand. Kane, Statsny, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Thornton - you can keep em, I'd be absolutely thrilled if HL couldn't land one of these guys.
Then you must be very happy!

I think I have a good idea of what his value may be around the league and to the Rangers. I remember the years of Kirk McLean, Mike Dunham, Jason "the Crab" Muzzati, et. al. pretty well. Lundqvist is light-years better but if he were to become so disgruntled that he demanded a trade or if we found a buyer offering a good package for him, I wouldn't be saddened to see him go to make the team better, all-around.

Thankfully, for now we've got him playing at the top of his game.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:17 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Lundy has every right to be yelling at the team when they can't seem to find the button to eject their heads from their ***** when they're supposed to be giving him support. If goalies were practical captains Lundy would be ours (I know Luongo is "technically" captain in VAN). He deserves so much better than the team in front of him.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:55 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
This is what happens when you turn over 50% of your roster every season. At some point Sather has to realize that no successful organization turns over half their roster every year. Or maybe he won't.
I strongly disagree, and it's same thing I always find myself being disagreeable about. In my opinion, you are not talking about relevant cause and effect.

The problem isn't the enormous turnover. The problem is that they are churning garbage. If they drafted or acquired talent and turned it over you would be correct but if you're not turning over quality, who cares?

You could field a best-of roster of what has churned through here and still have nothing.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Henrik's year-to-year consistency is amongst the best in the league.

Tim Thomas is another good example of a goalie who is inconsistent from year-to-year. He goes from being a mediocre goalie to a Vezina winner, and now he's struggling again.

People knock Lundqvist for being inconsistent from game-to-game, but compared to the rest of the league, he's still more consistent than most goalies in the league. He's no more inconsistent than Luongo, whom many consider to be the top goalie in the league. Lundqvist is on his game more often than not, as opposed to a Fleury or Theodore who are a bit of a wild card.
That's one of the things that most irritates me when people skewer Henke--they ***** and moan about how inconsistent he is. Do these people even have a cursory knowledge of goaltending outside of NY? It doesn't seem that way. He's very consistent by goalie standards, as you said.

I'd also like to note that his glove hand has been dynamite of late.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
You could field a best-of roster of what has churned through here and still have nothing.
Nylander Jagr Straka Gaborik Zherdev is a pretty good start to a great top six if we're pretending that the first 3 are 2005-2006 form

edit: Throw Prospal in there as the second line C I guess

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
glad to hear he snapped. good for him.

unlike torts the clown, hank has earned the right to go off. hes the heart and soul of this organization. period.

torts just yells to yell. the players have long since tuned him out.

fire torts.

take the c from capt quaalude in the offseason and give it to hank. the real team captain.

keep ryan as an a and give the other a to sean avery.
you changing your tune? shouldn't he have not snapped at all so that we could lose and tank and get a draft pick that will turn us into stanley cup champions overnight?

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
That's one of the things that most irritates me when people skewer Henke--they ***** and moan about how inconsistent he is. Do these people even have a cursory knowledge of goaltending outside of NY? It doesn't seem that way. He's very consistent by goalie standards, as you said.

I don't think is his glove hand is ever bad. His only problem with it is that he sometimes keeps it too low in his stance. When he does that, he leaves a little too much room up top. But when he's positioning it right, he's got a very good glove.

Old
03-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:

The way he flashed it in the SO against Elias was sick.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:45 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

It's not even like we're a bad team.. oh wait no that cant be right, I... I got it all wrong

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:59 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
I don't think is his glove hand is ever bad. His only problem with it is that he sometimes keeps it too low in his stance. When he does that, he leaves a little too much room up top. But when he's positioning it right, he's got a very good glove.
Oh, it's never bad. It's just the one place he's typically beat, so everyone talks about it like it's beer league quality.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Oh, it's never bad. It's just the one place he's typically beat, so everyone talks about it like it's beer league quality.
lol yup

Old
03-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Another quote that the OP didn't mention in that article (which was actually a great Larry Brooks article for a change):

Quote:
The Rangers listened respectfully. And then responded. That's the happy recap.

"With what he does for us, Hanky can dissect our game all he wants," Marc Staal said.
In other words, his teammates don't mind if he criticizes them. Staal's words really say a lot about the dynamic in that locker room. I would love to see Henrik get a "C" on his helmet but I don't think he can even do that. Maybe I'm getting mixed up with the whole Luongo captaincy thing but I think I remember hearing somewhere that even the C on Luongo's helmet had to be removed. So he's a captain, just not recognized by the NHL rules.

Anyway, this story made me smile because it is about time that he says something. In his interviews he always takes the blame for a teams loss even when it was clearly his teammates fault and that he played wonderfully. Very rarely does he call anyone or imply anyone out.

Redden and Gilroy last night were piss poor, and may very well be one of the worst D-pairings in the league right now. Erikssons call-up is pretty obvious what is looming - either Redden or Gilroy are scratched. Roszival I have to admit has really stepped his game up lately and while he never will be worth 5million annual cap hit and will continue to get undressed by nifty forwards, he hasn't been nearly as bad as he was earlier in the season and last year.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:46 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The problem with Rozsival is that he's not fast enough and that he never seems to know what to do when he has the puck on his stick (not very decisive). That's where the majority of his mistakes occur. He doesn't do all that bad when the pucks is in the defensive zone.

The problem with Redden is everything.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:58 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Nylander Jagr Straka Gaborik Zherdev is a pretty good start to a great top six if we're pretending that the first 3 are 2005-2006 form

edit: Throw Prospal in there as the second line C I guess
Again, apples and oranges. Gaborik and Jagr could not be here at the same time because of the cap. Straka and Nylander are through now, so what good would it be if they were still Rangers property?

The only possible one that fits Laidlaw's and your crieria would be Zherdev and while he would be an improvement over what is currently here, the way he disappeared in big games makes me have no desire for him to still be a Ranger.

Was Prospal available when Jagr was here?

Edit: Just noticed the wink, so I see you understand my point.

Old
03-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
glad to hear he snapped. good for him.

unlike torts the clown, hank has earned the right to go off. hes the heart and soul of this organization. period.

torts just yells to yell. the players have long since tuned him out.

fire torts.

take the c from capt quaalude in the offseason and give it to hank. the real team captain.

keep ryan as an a and give the other a to sean avery.
I came in to say just this.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:14 PM
brickwall2007

Quote:
Yeah afterall what did he do to lead last night right?

he should be the one yelling at the team to get going not lundqvist, not taking away his leadership but one clutch goal doesnt make up for ineffective captaincy.

brickwall2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:37 PM
chosen

The problem isn't leadership. The problem is personnel.

Old
03-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
Another quote that the OP didn't mention in that article (which was actually a great Larry Brooks article for a change):

In other words, his teammates don't mind if he criticizes them. Staal's words really say a lot about the dynamic in that locker room. I would love to see Henrik get a "C" on his helmet but I don't think he can even do that. Maybe I'm getting mixed up with the whole Luongo captaincy thing but I think I remember hearing somewhere that even the C on Luongo's helmet had to be removed. So he's a captain, just not recognized by the NHL rules.

Anyway, this story made me smile because it is about time that he says something. In his interviews he always takes the blame for a teams loss even when it was clearly his teammates fault and that he played wonderfully. Very rarely does he call anyone or imply anyone out.

Redden and Gilroy last night were piss poor, and may very well be one of the worst D-pairings in the league right now. Erikssons call-up is pretty obvious what is looming - either Redden or Gilroy are scratched. Roszival I have to admit has really stepped his game up lately and while he never will be worth 5million annual cap hit and will continue to get undressed by nifty forwards, he hasn't been nearly as bad as he was earlier in the season and last year.
God no. Henrik is proof a goalie doesn't have to wear a C on his helmet of all ridiculous places and pretend to be a real captain to be a team leader.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
The way he flashed it in the SO against Elias was sick.
He wasn't going to allow Elias to beat him there again in the shootout like he did in the last shootout versus the Devils. You can see Hank knew that's where he was going. Absolute beauty.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:45 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Lundqvist:

10th in Wins
10th in Save %
10th in GAA

Not bad but definitely not one of the best players in the league. Top 20 or 30 maybe.

Buf, Phx, Cgy, Mtl and Fla all have goalies as good or better, statistically, this year, but their teams are really not so much better that you can make the argument that they carry their goalies.
Hmmmm looking at those stats wouldn't that make him in the top 10?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:22 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Its not just the turnover, every team pretty much has some turnover. The turnover on this team is always with the core players playing top minutes. Thats a problem.
Precisely. It is really a reflection of someone in charge who has no real idea what he needs to win. He is essentially throwing a bunch of stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks. Inevitably, very little sticks and he decides to get rid of those players and bring in a new batch of players and see if they work. When they fail he gets rid of them and repeats the process. Teams like the Red Wings and Devils etc. They have a certain way they want to play hockey and they get players that fit their style. We do it the other way. We change our style every year. East/West (Jagr/Nylander) to North/South (Drury/Gomez). Defense first, to ultra aggressive. It is as though this entire organization is a cruise ship that has an ultimate destination, but has no navigator and no map. They are just hoping if they sail the ocean long enough they will eventually find land.

Quote:
I strongly disagree, and it's same thing I always find myself being disagreeable about. In my opinion, you are not talking about relevant cause and effect.

The problem isn't the enormous turnover. The problem is that they are churning garbage. If they drafted or acquired talent and turned it over you would be correct but if you're not turning over quality, who cares?

Chosen, we are both on the same page here. My initial post was vague and I can see how it can be misinterpreted. In no way am I saying that I wish we held onto the random garbage Sather has brought in over the last 10 years. My comment was more a dig at Sather and how he has no clue what direction or what type of players we need to be serious cup contenders. So instead of having a game plan and confidently standing by it. He alters the personnel from season to season in a futile attempt at catching lightning in a bottle. We are forced to do this because we haven't developed a top two line forward internally in 15 years. So instead we are forced to take chances on other teams malcontents and rejects with "big" upside.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
No, it's both... Where's the veteran leadership on our blueline for our young defensemen? Which players are responding well to Drury because he just had to label his teammates immature?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 11:49 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Hmmmm looking at those stats wouldn't that make him in the top 10?
Top ten goalies - but there are a lot of other players out there that play other positions, no?

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 02:05 AM
Crease

Quote:
I would say the problem is 80% personnel, 20% leadership. I derived those numbers from a super complicated formula that I won't bother trying to explain to you all.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 02:22 AM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I would say the problem is 80% personnel, 20% leadership. I derived those numbers from a super complicated formula that I won't bother trying to explain to you all.
I concur with your findings.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote