HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers in hunt for Zuccarello-Aasen (Toronto Star: Signs with NYR?)

Old
03-26-2010, 01:12 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Can't hurt to have a skilled norwegian on the team!

Get 'er done, Slats.
As a proud Norwegian-American, I would LOVE this!!!!

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:21 PM
NYR Viper

Just some food for thought:

A couple years ago teams were drooling over getting a shot at Brunnstrom. The year before he came over he had the following stats in the same league:
54GP 9G 28A 37P

Zuccarello-Aasen, at the same age, in the same league had the following stats this season:
55GP 23G 41A 64P

The guy has big-time skills. Size is the only issue and he is strong on his skates.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:45 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Did I say they didn't receive a fair shot? No. If you actually read what I wrote, I said nothing of the kind. I said, if I'm this guy, I look at the last four over-age Europeans who came over, see that not one of them had any success, and start wondering if all four guys -- who played in the same Olympics I did -- truly do suck, or if there are other issues involved.

Let's not kid ourselves. We gave a totally unproven 25-year old rookie a $1.75m one-way contract. He's not here just because he likes Torts and Drury, no matter what he might have said.
Here's what you wrote.

Quote:
If I'm this guy I look at how Heikkinen, Ambuhl, Denisov and Demagin fared as undrafted over-age Europeans in the organization over the past two seasons, see red flags, and look elsewhere.
The insinuation i got from this, was that they didn't get a fair shot in the Rangers organization. Not the NHL as a whole.

Because if that was not the insinuation, what red flags would there be in relation to the organization?

And just because they failed, doesn't mean that this kid will fail as well.

I interperted the post a certain way, if it was not your intention, then I apologize.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:46 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
This kid is something else, and he apparently loves the Rangers.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:13 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Here's what you wrote.

The insinuation i got from this, was that they didn't get a fair shot in the Rangers organization. Not the NHL as a whole.

Because if that was not the insinuation, what red flags would there be in relation to the organization?

And just because they failed, doesn't mean that this kid will fail as well.

I interperted the post a certain way, if it was not your intention, then I apologize.
All I'm saying is if I'm this guy I look at the past four over-age Europeans that signed here, three of whom I played against in the Olympics, see they didn't even get close to a job in the NHL, and wonder if there's something behind it.

I wasn't making a judgment on whether there was or not. Just saying that from the outside looking in, I'd be concerned.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:23 PM
TheHotRock

money talks. give him a one way deal if nobody else will.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:26 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
All I'm saying is if I'm this guy I look at the past four over-age Europeans that signed here, three of whom I played against in the Olympics, see they didn't even get close to a job in the NHL, and wonder if there's something behind it.

I wasn't making a judgment on whether there was or not. Just saying that from the outside looking in, I'd be concerned.
I think you have to show that those players who came over were no where as skilled as he is. Also, Gilroy was signed last offseason and he played pretty much the entire season in the NHL. They have been steadily giving a lot of time to young players, that should be encouraging to a young player.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Cmox

Here's a translation form another Norwegian article.

http://msn.tv2sporten.no/ishockey/ra...o-3170326.html

Quote:
The Norwegian ice hockey player Mats Zuccarello Aasen has been highly sought after for their games in the Olympics in Vancouver. All indications are that the world's toughest hockey league, NHL, is the next stop for the 22-year-old. New York Rangers next? The club's Modo, and the Swedish Union has reached agreement with the board in the NHL that Zuccarello Aasen can leave the Swedish championship in favor of the NHL after this year's season - two years before his contract with Modo is running out. On Tuesday Zuccarello Aasen in meeting with representatives of the Detroit Red Wings. The day after he received an unexpected phone call from New York Rangers sporting director Glen Sather. - I was speechless. I'm not used to this. It was very big, "said Zuccarello Aasen to Aftonbladet. Eight clubs are interested according to the Swedish newspaper wanted Sather that the Norwegian should take the plane to New York already on Monday to check on the conditions and get into the environment. - We'll see how interested they are. Maybe it is just an interest cooled down, "said Zuccarello Aasen who has not decided whether he goes.Interest in the Norwegian has exploded in recent months as the NHL clubs in earnest has started no knife to reinforce his troops before next season. According to Aftonbladet, the entire eight NHL clubs interested in Zuccarello Aasen

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Sounds pretty interested in us. Probably come down to us and the Wings.

I would gladly take him to see what he's got.

Edit - Someone said in the Trade Forum that Mats was seen playing NHL 10 a few days ago, as the Rangers

Last edited by Jumbo*: 03-26-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 04:45 PM
ThirdEye

Take a chance. Even if only for the hilarity of Sam and Joe having to pronounce his name

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

He's to small thou..

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Just some food for thought:

A couple years ago teams were drooling over getting a shot at Brunnstrom. The year before he came over he had the following stats in the same league:
54GP 9G 28A 37P

Zuccarello-Aasen, at the same age, in the same league had the following stats this season:
55GP 23G 41A 64P

The guy has big-time skills. Size is the only issue and he is strong on his skates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
He's to small thou..
Yes he is darn small, and I don't want to hype him too much. There is only one guarantee and thats that there is no guarantees.

But, hockeyviper makes a great point. The kid is darn good. Players that are as good as he is (usually) don't struggle to make the NHL, the question is how good they will become. He should never be mentioned in the same breath as a Andreas Jämtin. Thats like comparing Zabrosky with Veersteg.

And its also important to put attention at the style he plays. Look at Nigel Dawes for example. He is 5'8. Most of his goals comes from driving to the net. Jumping into openings. Playing in areas where the traffic is the worst. A Nigel Dawes will always be held back because of his size, while a player like Gionta have proven that kids that size with that style still can score -- their size is always a negative factor.

But on the other hand, lets look at a player like Kane. His strengths is that he can find open ice out there. How often when you watch Kane play is he shoulder to shoulder with other players? Not often, he reads the ice and finds open ice. A mix of his agility and skating ability along with his hockeysense makes him impossible to contain.

MZA is in the Kane mold. He is tremendous at finding open ice. He always knows what to do with the puck. Like he showed in the OG's -- it don't matter if he goes up against the best in the world, you can never erase him. He is that good. He would easily score 50 pts in the NHL this very second. Don't interpret this like he shys away from physical sides of the game. Its the opposite. But unlike a Nigel Dawes, he doesn't create his offense from the high traffic areas.

Couple in that he have great attitude and is a bit of a ferry tale story, its hard not to want the kid. He would basically become our 2nd most talented forward the second he signed here. So I'll keep my thumbs crossed until someone else locks him up, its worth it.

Here is a report on him from a US fan who followed him in the OG's, I think it says something about what he is all about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
I saw every Norwegian game for the Olympics because of OKT and MZA. Their was an article at the beginning of the year with quotes from Hakan Andersson talking about MZA and how he is NHL ready, so I knew the Wings were interested in the kid so I wanted to see what he could do. The numbers don't really tell the whole story, everytime he was on the ice it was noticeable he was a level above the rest. In the games vs US and Canada, he had turned a few all-star calibre defensemen around (I think one was EJ). He also didn't shy away from contact, in fact he was the exact opposite, very feisty and agressive along the boards. In the first 2 games (vs US and Can) he produced 90% of Norway's chances. He was also very good defensively too. He seemed like the only forward on Norway who could really defend. In the game against the Swiss, which was one of the best games in the tourney, he was huge. MZA really looked more than NHL ready and he looked like he had no problem with the physicality.

And for those who were wondering, yes he is fast.

Last edited by Ola: 03-26-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 07:45 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

How can some Ranger fans be so critical of the organization trying to improve? Sign the guy and let's see what he's got.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:32 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:

I hear what you are saying and I probably did read a bit more into it then the intent behind the post.

But to the extent that three of them didn't get close to NHL spots, that has more to do with their very limited talent level than any "something behind it"

Now, had those players gone on to other organizations and had success in the NHL, there would be something behind your comment, but as it stands right now, 3 of the four will never be NHL regulars and the other was sent to Hartford due to a numbers game. He's played well in the AHL and represented himself well in his 7 game stint in the NHL, but as it stands, he's a redundant player here with the big club.

Personally, I think that I'd prefer to have Heikkinen playing in Gilroy's spot.

In regards to Mats, I really don't think that he will look at those players and make any comparison to himself as the talent disparity is to great to ignore. Not to mention the serious lack of offensive talent that the Rangers have throughout the line-up and organization, getting an opportunity here is probably going to be easier than in some other organizations.

The Rangers are starving for offence, this kid provides that. It's as good a fit as he will find in the NHL. I think that that is going to be his only focus and goal.

But that's just my opinion....I could be wrong

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
How can some Ranger fans be so critical of the organization trying to improve? Sign the guy and let's see what he's got.
Agree. This guy has more potential to be a good NHLer then 85% of our prospects, not sure why anyone wouldnt want to at least see what he's got.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Nemchinov13

what can we realistically offer him? What are the rules in signing overage Euros? Someone mentioned that the ELC in the Euro overager case is an automatic 2-way deal.

Hank should have a dinner with him one of these days (weeks).

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 02:13 AM
Nemchinov13

I feel that signing MZA would be one of the most important events (probably the most important event behind the draft) for the near future of the Rangers. If he doesn't pan out - no problem - the kid goes to HFD. If he is indeed as good as what we've seen from the Olympics, then he makes the signing of a top 6 UFA unnecessary, thus saving us the cap space.

I really don't want any more big free agent signings until all 3 bad contracts are null and void. I really don't want Kovalchuk after seeing him being completely useless in the Olympics. The guy has really disappointed me. All he has is the shot and I don't want to pay $7M+ for just a shot. He's definitely no Gaborik. I'd rather use the money for extending the likes of Staal, Dubi, Cally and even Girardi before Kovulchuk.

And that's why we really need MZA and we need him to be as good as Ola has described him. I feel that if he plays with Dubi and Cally, he could provide us with the needed secondary scoring. Dubi and Cally have good enough hands to score on the chances that he would generate. If he doesn't pan out, then we get a better pick in the 2011 draft (eventhough it's considered to be a weak draft).

Just my 2 kopecks.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 05:37 AM
Claxton

Grab this guy and trade for Filatov and it would be a fine offseason. Cheap young talent acquired pushing forward and saving cap space to maintain RFA signings for the next couple years until some of the mess cleans itself up.

Both left wings, something this organization desperately needs.

Last edited by Claxton: 03-27-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 06:03 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Besides the hard facts advocating his skill and potential, I just really want a Zuccarello-Aasen jersey -- lock 'im up, Slats.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Ranger Angst

This year's Fabian Brunnstrom ? There's a reason nobody's picked up these guys in their
twenties ; major flaws in their game. Although he could have been overlooked because of his size.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 06:32 AM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
He'd look great on that second line LW from what I saw in the Olympics and judging by his numbers in the SEL.

Plus if him and Gaborik develop some chemistry, that's the perfect, cheap option for our top line woes.
This. I would really like to see this happen. Dubinsky also had his best year with a playmaker on the wing. Could make a perfect line.

The strange thing about this thread is that the people who actually have seen MZA play is all for signing him. Those who just compare him to other undersized underperforming europeans not so much.

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 06:34 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding RangerBlue View Post
This year's Fabian Brunnstrom ? There's a reason nobody's picked up these guys in their
twenties ; major flaws in their game. Although he could have been overlooked because of his size.
Yes, in the sense that every teams want to get their hands on this player.

No, they are absolutely nothing alike. I thought it was quite entertaining when all the teams were after Brunnström because he was so extremely overrated, and when the playoffs started he disappeared.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 06:58 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Are players allowed to sign him once his season is over, with the contract not taking effect until July 1st, for the 2010-11 season? Kinda like how NCAA players sign by NHL teams once their seasons end, with their NHL contracts not taking effect until next season, as long as they do not play a game in the NHL.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 07:07 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
MZA just oozes skill and talent, something the Rangers could really use.

It'll probably cost us a max-ELC, but I definitely offer it to him, the risk is well worth the potential reward.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Ranger Angst

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
Yes, in the sense that every teams want to get their hands on this player.

No, they are absolutely nothing alike. I thought it was quite entertaining when all the teams were after Brunnström because he was so extremely overrated, and when the playoffs started he disappeared.
Well , never saw him play - so maybe he is the real deal.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote