HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Erik Christensen Appreciation Thread (Re-sign him!)

Old
03-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Surely you'd take him for Voros' or Brashear's (god willing) $1 million? (I know Brash is making 1.4).
id consider them mutually exclusive moves. Id want to get rid of Voros and Brashear either way.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:27 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
The great thing with Gaborik is that he is the type of player who likes to have the puck a lot so for him, he doesn't necessarily need a #1 center, he just needs someone who can control it when they have it and give him the puck when he is open. That is why Prospal and Christensen work so well with him. Neither are 1st line players, but both have the skill to give him the puck when he is open and finds his holes in the offensive zone.

I would be okay with him playing with Gaborik on the 1st line as long as it increased our depth(say trading for Richards who then solidifies the 2nd line).
I like Christensen and would like him resigned, but Gaborik would REALLY benefit from playing with a Top line playmaking Center, and this organization should make it a point to try to get him one.

SomebodySaveKreider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:32 PM
NYRangers77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Christensen is basically a 40 point player playing on the top line....good god hes overrated.

A nice player on the cheap, sure. but any kind of a raise and im not interested.
Dubinsky is a 40 point player playing on the top line.

Def sign him cheap 1-2 yrs.

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:36 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
I like Christensen and would like him resigned, but Gaborik would REALLY benefit from playing with a Top line playmaking Center, and this organization should make it a point to try to get him one.
Well what happens if they go out and sign Kovalchuk? I doubt Torts would want to play them together because then the other team can stack their defense on one line. You separate them and play two lines evenly like Pitt does with Malkin and Crosby.

World-class players make the players around them better, would it be nice to be able to have a playmaking center with both of them? Of course. However there is a salary cap and if a player has some chemistry with one of them then you leave him there and attempt to balance the rest of your lineup.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:39 PM
GarretJoseph

no more than 975 per.

can fill in as #1 C if we land nobody or would be a decent 2/3/4 center. He's a handy player to have, like Prust. Nothing special, but worth keeping on the roster.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

He's a good plug in guy that can play on any of the top 3 lines and play at least average.

He's never going to put up big points, or be relied on to carry the team, but for less then 1M, that's a pretty good bargain.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:42 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Well what happens if they go out and sign Kovalchuk? I doubt Torts would want to play them together because then the other team can stack their defense on one line. You separate them and play two lines evenly like Pitt does with Malkin and Crosby.

World-class players make the players around them better, would it be nice to be able to have a playmaking center with both of them? Of course. However there is a salary cap and if a player has some chemistry with one of them then you leave him there and attempt to balance the rest of your lineup.
Who says we should sign Kovalchuk?

I think fiscally the Rangers aren't in the position to go get a guy like Kovalchuk. If they had more money freed up that'd be fine, but your right, we're in a salary cap era, and we have to resign Marc Staal and fill in other spots.

SomebodySaveKreider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:49 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
Christ FTW.

He's my favorite player on the team... idk, always root for the underdogish type stories, I guess.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:54 PM
TheHotRock

1 mil or less

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Crease

No reason not to re-sign him.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

Has to be one of best waiver pick up this year, he works so dam hard, he fits really good in NY. But I have a feeling he's going to be that type of player that plays good one season then bad the next. Sign him 1 years 750k, if he does good obvously sign him 3-4 years, if he doesn't meet his expetations then let him go.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 05:49 PM
bleedblue94

i cant believe how someone like EK does some good here and we are all so starved for any level of productivity that we all wet our pants over a guy like this. has he been better than expected for a guy claimed off waivers? absolutely, but just bc he is one of the few players on this roster that has met or exceeded expectations it does NOT mean he is the kind of player you plan on using a roster spot if you are looking to build a contending team. as someone else said he is a 40pt guy playing on the top line w gabby at best. thats not someone i want taking a spot in the top 6 on my team, not if i have higher hopes for my team. he is not a bottom 6 player, and regardless lord knows we have plenty of other bottom 6 guys. the fact that we are even talking about resigning EK in this thread shows how starved the fanbase is for players to meet expectations, even if the expectations of a guy like him are relatively low. is he worth 750k? yes, but only if i am NOT trying to build a GOOD team and improve upon it rather than cling to any spec of light from this disastrous offensive group

Last edited by bleedblue94: 03-27-2010 at 06:09 PM.
bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 06:55 PM
SkerZ
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I like what I see on the ice.

I like what I hear from him off the ice.

I def want this guy back next season.
Ditto the dude is intelligent

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 06:59 PM
The Thomas J.*

I'm not sold on him. Don't believe the hype.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 07:34 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
I don't think it's going to happen this off-season, so we may as well use Christensen as a stop-gap. He was by far the best player with Gaborik this year. Prospal produced but Christensen had clear chemistry.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 07:48 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I don't think it's going to happen this off-season, so we may as well use Christensen as a stop-gap. He was by far the best player with Gaborik this year. Prospal produced but Christensen had clear chemistry.
id by far take production over chemistry... regardless i dont think either of them should be resigned... prospal is nearing the end and i could see a massive drop for him next year....

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 07:55 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
id by far take production over chemistry... regardless i dont think either of them should be resigned... prospal is nearing the end and i could see a massive drop for him next year....
If either of them drops off, I don't see us overpaying for either. $2mil/1 year max for Prospal, $1mil/2 or 3 years maximum for Christensen.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Zzzherdev

Re-sign him, but only for cheap.
Even if he doesn't finish that often, his interviews are always a great listen.

Zzzherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Block More Shots

Christensen would take a 1 year for like 750K no questions asked. This is a guy who was waivers and very close to being buried in the minors. If the Rangers offer him a contract, for the sake of his wallet AND career, he will take it and run.

Even if a team offers him a little more, the Rangers have invested time and confidence in the kid. I think that's more important than any dollar amount.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:15 PM
trilobyte

Christensen has shown improvement through this season. Many have mentioned that he has skill but lacks confidence. His confidence appears to be improving.

Don't tell me that once again NYR ships some guy off, a player who has really invested a lot of his heart and soul in re-inventing himself as a New York Ranger.

I hope that doesn't happen. Let some other guys go, but keep the guys who show they care, don't carry ridiculously fat contracts, and have shown improvement, i.e. are they better today than first day of the season? If so, I'm not saying that they are not untradeable, but I am saying that you might not know what you had til it's gone.

Dubinsky, Callahan, Christensen, Anisimov sure do fit that mould, at least for me.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:16 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
No reason not to re-sign him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
1 mil or less

Pretty much sums it up.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 01:40 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers77 View Post
Dubinsky is a 40 point player playing on the top line.

Def sign him cheap 1-2 yrs.
Dubinsky also kills penalties, plays a physical game, can fight when need be, and is 3 years younger than Christensen (and would be a 52 point player this season if he didnt lose all those games to injury)

Old
03-28-2010, 02:20 AM
LyNX27

I don't see the harm in signing him for peanuts cause he actually plays and does well, physically and in the points dept.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:23 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

For the right price, 1.2 at the very max, He doesn't seem like a selfish or stupid person so I think he knows a good deal when he sees it.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 02:51 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hes lucky to still be in the NHL quite frankly. I woudlnt give him a raise. he was a scrap heap pickup and has had a few good months...ill give him a 1 year deal for what hes got now. if not, he can walk.